IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Attending Conferences and Getting Pregnant

Coconut Flan

19 minutes ago, Jatalie1996 said:

I'd imagine at least some fundie guys might feel pressure to enforce things like that upon their families in order to tow the line. I may be completely off the mark here, but I hope I got my point across. 

I do get your point but as others have said, it's  the ones at top who apply the pressure more than they feel it.

Unless a patriarchal male is intrinsically unhappy in his own skin as A Patriach (perhaps he knows he's gay, or really doesn't want to be tied to one wife and an ever-increasing gaggle of hungry children), there's no real reason for him to feel unhappy about having to enforce rules.

He can simply shame his underlings (family)  to how "other men's wives & children are submissive" and then receive all kinds of pity and tearful support from those who'll wag their heads judgmentally at his "disobedient wife."

The ones who don't enjoy the perks & expectations of being patriarchs and who leave the system would be the stuff of books and movies!  If only there were some....

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, SuchABlessing said:

I don't know why people are so shocked she's pregnant so soon. My guess is NONE of the Dugger girl's wedding dates were randomly selected. These women obsessively track their menstrual cycles, so what are the odds that Jill and Joy pretty much got preggers within the week of the wedding? They planned it that way 

We have no idea when Joy is due. We have no idea whether she got pregnant on her wedding night, or two weeks later, or a month later. Also, the odds of two different young, fertile women with young, fertile husbands, who are having unprotected sex, getting pregnant soon after getting married? Pretty high.

36 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

This is Jill who put a bow on her belly and a tag saying her baby was a gift from god. Getting pregnant on the exact night of her wedding fits with her narrative about how life should be and how she would be rewarded by god. I think she just assumed this to have been the case and only at the later stages was she informed that conception likely occurred at  a later point. But she had already announced her expected due date so she needed a reason to explain the correct due date.

Except that even Jill's original due date didn't have her getting pregnant on the exact night of her wedding, so this makes absolutely no sense.

27 minutes ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Am I the only person who will go certifiably insane if I see Michelle in this freaking shirt (or any of its variations) one more time?? n.

Am I the only person who will feel much more sane if I never have to see Michelle and/or Jim ever again? I'm so sick of them. Refuse to view that video. Don't need any more crap on my mind than is already there. 

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Is the photo of Jinger on the left making a statement? Maybe sympathy for possible infertility?

A subtle message ti Jinger saying "Hurry the fuck up and catch yourself some babies".  

I can't even listen to this video. It is just like all the others, all they have to do is dub in the correct daughter's name. And Rufus oh Rufus.. can you please smite that damn green shirt. Make it go poof from the laundry basket. 

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Except that even Jill's original due date didn't have her getting pregnant on the exact night of her wedding, so this makes absolutely no sense.

What part of assuming Jill can't accurately count her conception date makes no sense?

That she calculated the date from her last missed period and assumed that conception occurred on her wedding night although actual conception may have occurred several days/weeks later? That she didn't base her due date on any actual prenatal screening data but trusted her own calculations based on her last missed period and her assumptions, but was later informed she was off by about 2 weeks -  why is that hard to believe?

Grandkid #10 for JB&M. Which is probably how they'll refer to said grandkid since it's doubtful that they will remember his name once a few more come along.

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

In the instagram picture @VBOY9977 posted it looks like Joy may be sticking her belly out too. So then to me she does look really similar to Jill's 14 weeks. I bet its a honeymoon baby. They could also know by now, or soon, if she was carrying more than one baby. And my guess is they would've announced it with the pregnancy. So I think there's just one baby in there. 

Maybe they are saving the "it could be twins!" announcement for the next scandal.   You know, to distract people with the shiny coin of phrase.

I saw this right before class today and whenever the professor paused during the lecture I couldn't help but think, "oh NO Joy Anna is pregnant".  I know I'm just echoing what everyone is saying, but while I'm really not surprised, I wish that she and Austin could have taken a bit more time to just be themselves together before conceiving.  

Anyway, it turns out that my roommate is an inactive FJer.  I can't wait to see her reaction to the news when she comes back, assuming she hasn't already seen it.

1 hour ago, jacduggar said:

Which is why I don't understand what TLC thinks the wedding/birth specials are worth? I'm not privy to the viewership numbers since Jessa's wedding special but they can't be that great. There will literally be a Duggar getting married or pregnant for the next 40 years, this is hardly newsworthy or special.

There are several shows on TV (in the United States, at the most) that focus just on weddings, and a lot of them are on TLC. "Say Yes to the Dress," "Four Weddings," etc, Same thing for giving birth. I think there is still a decent amount of interest in the Duggars, otherwise the show wouldn't stay on air,

I can't remember the  exact numbers, but Counting On still does ok for a cable tv show

I'm thinking March 5th as a due date, I'm hoping she doesn't have it on Josh's birthday.

7 hours ago, MoonFace said:

Too late.  She's knocked up

Yeah, I posted that last week. Ah, those halcyon days...

I noticed the thread was hot this afternoon but didn't have time to look. I'm just glad that when I saw the People headline today I didn't give in to my first reaction. Saying, "Well, shit," in front of coworkers and the public would have been bad.

3 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Is it common to find out that early?  We were told we could ask for genetic testing, but it wasn't really recommended unless a problem was likely . . . 

And it wasn't covered by insurance. 

If there's a potential genetic issue they can check fairly early on with insurance covering it, but there usually has to be some indicator or risk factor. Of course, that assumes they went to an actual doctor.

41 minutes ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Am I the only person who will go certifiably insane if I see Michelle in this freaking shirt (or any of its variations) one more time?? Is she trying to prove she's frugal?

Forget funding Dereck's " ministry", they need to crowd fund a new wardrobe for Michelle. Or an intervention.

Maybe she just likes the shirt? It's annoying, but of all the things to criticize her for, this is far and away the most minor.

I'm sad beyond reasonable explanation. It was absolutely predictable.  But still.

Oh shit.

And those BOOBS.   Bless her heart.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

If she *did* have a girl, I would hope that they have a sister. I wouldn't want another Lizzy/Wizzy Arndt (is it her who's the only girl in the family of 13 kidults?) cos that must be a bit lonely not having anyone who you can just have girl talk with. I know they wouldn't necessarily get on, but I wouldn't want to be just one girl in a sea of boys. This goes for any married Duggar/Bates/whoever. Obviously I understand and agree with the "hope she has boys" thing but if the married Duggar women keep up their current fertility rates then they will all have a girl at some point. 

My daughter is  the only girl in a sea of boys (well 4 boys, so i guess puddle by duggar family standards) and she enjoys being the only girl. Of course, I am not raising her the fundie way so I can imagine it would be extra isolating being the only girl in a fundie situation. Especially in duggar like families where the sexes are segregated after a certain age

Yeah, totally get that some girls would like it. Probably not fundie girls though. And I guess the Arndt situation is different because NONE of them are married whereas the Duggars seem to be marrying off their kids pretty damn quick. Jana is the exception not the rule. Yes, most of the older boys are still home, but they're all in their early twenties/late teens not mid-30s like the Arndt kidults.

1 hour ago, Analytica49 said:

And could that "congratulations" video from MEE-chelle and Jim-Boob be any more annoying? WHO CARES if this is grandchild #10?? I'm pretty sure, in a few more years, they won't even be able to remember their grandchildren's names.

I thought Jim Bob and Michelle seemed very flat in this video. Even with ten grandchildren and many more to be expected, I would think that more enthusiasm should be mustered if you make a video each time. It felt to me like Michelle was wistful because it wasn't her. Come on, Michelle, you were a cheerleader. As one, you still jump and cheer even if your team is losing. 

I quickly looked at the calendar and assumed the worst, that she got pregnant on her wedding night. I counted the typical 40 weeks and the earliest she can be due is March 2. My guess is that she'll likely give birth mid to late March.

Poor girl. I'm only 2 years older than her (I'll be 22 on September 10th) and I can't imagine being in a relationship let alone married and pregnant.

59 minutes ago, MoonFace said:

Maybe they are saving the "it could be twins!" announcement for the next scandal.   You know, to distract people with the shiny coin of phrase.

Yep, my thought, too - or just for general PR purposes, to keep up the public's interest.

I'm just glad JB didn't say "hey you guys figured things out hehehe" like he did when Jill announced her pregnancy. Maybe they are saving that for the show along with the "maybe it's twins!" story redux. Now the big question - what stupid idea will they come up with for the gender reveal? Will Sierra go back to being the family party planner?

6 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

Yes, you get two weeks for free. 

Huh? What is this two weeks free stuff? Free what?

How can you be more than 13 weeks five days preggers if PIV did not occur until wedding night? How can she possibly be sixteen weeks? This does not compute. She would be no more than 13 weeks 5 days preggers at the most.

2 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

How can you be more than 13 weeks five days preggers if PIV did not occur until wedding night? How can she possibly be sixteen weeks? This does not compute. She would be no more than 13 weeks 5 days preggers at the most.

Pregnancy is calculated from the first day of the last menstrual period.

5 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

She's right though. Pregnancy is counted from the woman's last menstrual period even if she didn't actually have sex until two weeks later, so if Joy conceived right away she could be 16 weeks pregnant even if she hasn't been married for 16 weeks.

It does seem pretty weird to me. I'm assuming they don't count it that way if a woman hasn't been having periods.

8 minutes ago, bella8050 said:

I'm just glad JB didn't say "hey you guys figured things out hehehe" like he did when Jill announced her pregnancy. Maybe they are saving that for the show along with the "maybe it's twins!" story redux. Now the big question - what stupid idea will they come up with for the gender reveal? Will Sierra go back to being the family party planner?

Well, they have all those flamingos, maybe they could all be painted blue or pink. That would make for another riveting episode.

4 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Joy was married approximately 14 weeks ago. But pregnancy is counted from the first day of your last period. As a general rule, women are expected to ovulate (and therefore get pregnant) about two weeks after the start of their period. So the moment you get pregnant, you are considered to be two weeks pregnant. Therefore, if Joy got pregnant on her wedding night, she would be about 16 weeks pregnant now. I know it's weird, but that's the way it's calculated.

Edit: Sorry for the deluge, I didn't see the other replies before I posted this! ;)

7 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Because pregnancy is calculated from the date of your last menstrual period. I believe you take that date, count back 3 months then add 7 days to get the due date. It may be done differently now, but that's the general idea. So, say you were supposed to get your period today. You'd be considered 4 weeks pregnant even though you conceived 2 weeks ago.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived