IGNORED

Boyer Sisters Pt 5: Balancing Body Humors with YL Oils

laPapessaGiovanna

20 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Do we?   No sarcasm, just a genuine question.  I hadn't noticed but I don't read all the threads by any means.  I'm rather crunchy granola myself so I tend to agree with much of what you said above.  Pollution is a big problem and so is an unhealthy diet.

I've noticed far more snark about really unhealthy Fundie diets (think weens, cream of crap soup, and Hodnett's fish 'n chip habit) not the more health conscious ones.  I reserve most of my criticism for the anti-vax, anti-mental health care, high-risk pregnancy wanting home birth, pro-alternative medicine that has been proven to be snake oil, anti-heath insurance and preventive care Fundie types.

The Boyer sisters aren't being health conscious although they may think they are.  They are obsessed with fad diets and toxins at the moment, certainly, but they are falling for a lot of pseudo-science.  All the essential oils in the world won't solve all their problems.  

If they really want to follow through with this line of thought they will move off the grid and stop driving.  Gasoline is toxic and so is car exhaust.  More so than fluoride I think.

I agree with you.

I do think some do snark on here a little harshly but I shouldn't generalize. I apologize. 

I've always been more crunchy. Both of us are here. Neither sets of our fundie parents are though. We horrify them these days. Lol. 

We'd love to be partially off grid. Many dates are spent pouring over solar panel ideas and small house plans. We've always been weird tho. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's snarking on the crunchy lifestyle. It's snarking on the fundies who attempt to be crunchy when it suits them. 

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Do we?   No sarcasm, just a genuine question.  I hadn't noticed but I don't read all the threads by any means.  I'm rather crunchy granola myself so I tend to agree with much of what you said above.  Pollution is a big problem and so is an unhealthy diet.

I think the Lori Alexander thread(s) tend to include some push back from FJ posters when Lori starts ranting about "nourishing foods", and how she drove for four hours to 7 different stores to buy the organic foods she can't live without. When someone as loony as Lori gets on the bandwagon, it can make smart, sensible choices start to look crazy to other people.

She's just such a pain in the neck.

14 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

She really is!  I used to follow Lori but had to stop because she blogs so frequently and  pissed me off so much.  Again, too many Fundies; too little time. 

Thanks for clarifying. :)

21 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I think the Lori Alexander thread(s) tend to include some push back from FJ posters when Lori starts ranting about "nourishing foods", and how she drove for four hours to 7 different stores to buy the organic foods she can't live without. When someone as loony as Lori gets on the bandwagon, it can make smart, sensible choices start to look crazy to other people.

I mostly follow the Lori threads and yes, I agree. I have to eat similar to her (just much cheaper and am not a fanatic about it) and while she makes a few good points about food, she's such a boil on the ass of humanity that I sometimes feel like she makes all health conscious people look bad and everyone thinks we are all like her. 

I don't think being crunchy is the problem, I think being faux-crunchy when it's convenient is. Like, I get wanting to use more natural products and avoiding certain things. But using "toxins" and "chemicals" as fear-mongering buzzwords (when in really they mean basically nothing) is ridiculous. You know what gets rid of toxins? Your liver and kidneys. Not essential oils. Meanwhile, we know little about what they're doing to reduce waste, protect the environment, etc, etc.

Here's the thing. I love being crunchy. I have routines and habits the Boyers would probably approve of. But if someone isn't into that, I don't preach at them. Guilting people and making them feel bad about themselves isn't a good way to make them change their lifestyle. It puts too many people on the defensive, and makes you look like a dick. They just sound so condescending and childish... like they don't realize that other people have seen the evidence, researched the oils, and have decided it wasn't for them. It sounds like they think it's impossible that someone could have come to a different conclusion. It's not that simple, guys. Some people have more important things to dump their money into that essential oils that may or may not work.

Also, I get McDonald's a few times a year, because fuck the toxins, I need a cheeseburger. 

Jess and Char are pushing a $50 bottle of oil today. One that could really mess with your hormones if you're not careful about it, since it's technically a progesterone supplement.

And not even a good one (or perhaps legal...), since it doesn't say what the progesterone dosage is per drop. There's a warning that you shouldn't apply it to the same application site two days in a row. Oh, and that it's designed for women OVER 30. 

Do the sisters know you're not supposed to use progesterone creams/oils unless you're in the luteal phase of your cycle if you're not menopausal? 

Whoops. Probably not.

This might be why Jess and Char are still breaking out like bandits, even after going crunchy...

3 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

And not even a good one (or perhaps legal...), since it doesn't say what the progesterone dosage is per drop. There's a warning that you shouldn't apply it to the same application site two days in a row. Oh, and that it's designed for women OVER 30. 

Do the sisters know you're not supposed to use progesterone creams/oils unless you're in the luteal phase of your cycle if you're not menopausal? 

Considering that fundie sex ed tends to be "unless you are having missionary sex with your owner husband and it immediately results in a perfect, able-bodied, compliant baby 9 months later, you are a godless, sinful whore", I doubt they know very much about hormones, cycles beyond "sometimes you're on your period and cannot make baaaayyyybeeeeeez", or how hormones can mess you up.

6 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Well, they seem to know the claims they want to make about this product are over-blown and misrepresentation.

Disclaimer: This is probably going to be the shortest post for B.Well. Thanks to the FDA, we have to keep this short, sweet, and very compliant. However, if you would like to be in the know, email us! We’re all ready for ya! 

That pesky FDA. We really wouldn't want the ebil gubmint to send YL yet another warning letter, would we?

The problem is that J and C are probably risking their health by playing around with what they don't understand.  "Ooh, if one drop is good, then 3 or 4 must be really good! Common sense and FDA guidelines be damned." 

I always laugh at Zoo and how sanctimonious she is about being crunchy and healthy eaters but then she serves dessert for meals all the damn time. Whatever you say Zoo. 

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I always laugh at Zoo and how sanctimonious she is about being crunchy and healthy eaters but then she serves dessert for meals all the damn time. Whatever you say Zoo. 

She uses organic ingredients so it is okay.

22 minutes ago, Ali said:

She uses organic ingredients so it is okay.

Organic sugar is somehow better. I guess it contains less sugar? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: 

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Organic sugar is somehow better. I guess it contains less sugar? :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: 

And organic butter. You can eat it by the pound!

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

And organic butter. You can eat it by the pound!

Do they mean grass fed butter? Grass fed is AMAAAAZING. When Kerrigold goes on sale I pick it up and it's so good. Balm for the soul. That pale regular butter just can't compare. 

Best is farm fresh butter. Growing up I ate a lot of herb butter straight from our jersey. <3

Similar to what MargaretElliott said my problem with the "toxins" and "chemicals" nonsense is that it is pseudoscientific garbage. The dose makes the poison. The idea that we're all choking with toxins in this terribly unnatural world is just absolute rubbish peddled by people who want to make money by selling you "natural" things to "detoxify" you. Newborns are totally born with toxins in them and have been since the beginning of our species, because that's part of being alive.

Natural is better for your health right? (Spoiler: Nope!)...and big pharma/agricultural/GMO makers just pretend these things are safe to get money! (Spoiler: And are highly, highly regulated. Science does not lend itself to conspiracy) and people who sell natural products like essential oils or organic food or whatever "natural" product you can think of have no financial incentive to try and peddle their stuff, do they (Ha!)?

Sugar isn't the toxin it's made out to be either. It's eeevil food of the day on a lot of food and healthy eating blogs but your body just does not respond to it like all these poorly educated wellness bloggers make out it does. A good 95% of the "Oh no SUGAR!!" things I read make me want to whack the writer over the head with a biochemistry textbook.

I'm all for eating a variety of nutritious food, keeping things that are potentially harmful in moderation and am a giant ole hippy with everything environmental. We have solar panels, I used cloth nappies on all of my blessings, still have the youngest in a wrap when we go out, recycle or reuse everything we can and we minimise our car use. We eat minimal processed food and would plough through way more fruit and vegetables than the local food guidelines say is necessary. We buy local. The base idea of looking after yourself and the world I am 100% behind.

...But there's a heap of bad science that gets sold as truth with this sort of thing and almost everything these two women are peddling is bad science. Essential oils have very poor evidence for safety behind them compared to conventional drugs. They may be fine, they may be harmless, they may be harmful, they may cure cancer or they may just do nothing. There is not sufficient evidence to say for almost any of them, nevermind the poor regulation of their production. These companies have poorly educated people selling them with a massive financial incentive to oversell the benefits and use, and who totally lack the knowledge of the risks of essential oil use or stopping conventional treatments/not getting review or assessment of symptoms.

9 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Water is a chemical.

Don't you mean super-lethal Dihydrogen Monoxide??? If it can rust steel, just IMAGINE what it could do to your body. 

I’m a scientist who does pre-clinical drug testing on human primary cells. Basically, we are between animal models and clinical trials. 

One of our clients was an EO MLM. Everyone hated that project. The lab stunk for weeks. The major lesson for me was to NEVER put the oils directly on your skin. Some of them were pretty toxic even after we diluted 10-fold from what was in the bottle. I’m always amazed that more of the MLM oil people don’t talk about using carrier oils...or don’t think it’s necessary because oils are “natural.”

5 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

I’m a scientist who does pre-clinical drug testing on human primary cells. Basically, we are between animal models and clinical trials. 

One of our clients was an EO MLM. Everyone hated that project. The lab stunk for weeks. The major lesson for me was to NEVER put the oils directly on your skin. Some of them were pretty toxic even after we diluted 10-fold from what was in the bottle. I’m always amazed that more of the MLM oil people don’t talk about using carrier oils...or don’t think it’s necessary because oils are “natural.”

That bugs me too. My local doterra oil NEVER mentions it. They don't seem to realize how strong these oils are. I have a friend who runs an herb farm and she told me recently that while she understands some oils can have a place, she's concerned about how people are rushing to these powerful undiluted oils, and ignoring the whole plant and their uses. My local doterra lady encourages people to throw out their herb and spice cabinets and uses herb and spice oils for cooking, canning, etc and it really irks me. 

collage-1.jpg

So Charlotte made a blog post about jeans and how her life has come full circle. She loved jeans, she didn't, and now she loves them again. 

BEC but those jeans do not look flattering to me. 

My favourite thing about the "OH NOES Big Pharma just wants your money" brigade is they never seem to ask who's making the money off the natural woo that's so expensive.  I am a total hippy type who was into herbalism for a bit, but only for things like sore throat/sleeping etc, so I should be a natural audience, but looking at how much the "all natural" products are, it's clear there's a ton of profiteering going on.

I always love Dr Ben Goldacre, and recommend Bad Science at every opportunity, because he's fantastic at helping understand how to evaluate medical claims.  And he is really interesting about the scalping going on re prices of woo, just as he is about bad pharma industry behaviour.   If anyone wants a really accessible book that will explain about how to judge if something has decent testing, and especially media reporting on medicine, you should read it (it's maybe 10 years old now, and British, but it's great at how to unpick studies etc)

55 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Ahoy there, matey! That style sucked back in my day and it still sucks. No BEC - just honesty.

Did remind me of one my favorite musical numbers though:

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

collage-1.jpg

So Charlotte made a blog post about jeans and how her life has come full circle. She loved jeans, she didn't, and now she loves them again. 

I begged my mom for those jeans in 2002. I do like her hair, though.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived