IGNORED

Pris & TFDW 6: The Lookalike Family

Coconut Flan

On 11/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

But these fundies are not taking control of their fertility. Which means it's likely that most of these families will have more children than they can handle. 

I want to say something but I'm afraid I will say it wrong or have my facts completely wrong and I'm not good at history but here it goes...

Sometimes when I think about fundies having more kids than they can handle or afford it makes me think haven't we already learned this lesson and that's why people started using birth control and stopped letting the church tell them how to plan their family? My grandparents were catholic and had 12 kids. It wasn't instagram-worthy. There was poverty, alcoholism, long hours at low-paying jobs and kids without enough of most of the basics. There wasn't a car that fit everyone. When those kids grew up, they had smaller family sizes that they could handle. It just makes sense. But the fundies are trying to make one income families with too many kids in style somehow. It's not realistic and not fair to anyone involved. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I want to say something but I'm afraid I will say it wrong or have my facts completely wrong and I'm not good at history but here it goes...

Sometimes when I think about fundies having more kids than they can handle or afford it makes me think haven't we already learned this lesson and that's why people started using birth control and stopped letting the church tell them how to plan their family? My grandparents were catholic and had 12 kids. It wasn't instagram-worthy. There was poverty, alcoholism, long hours at low-paying jobs and kids without enough of most of the basics. There wasn't a car that fit everyone. When those kids grew up, they had smaller family sizes that they could handle. It just makes sense. But the fundies are trying to make one income families with too many kids in style somehow. It's not realistic and not fair to anyone involved. 

Look at it this way. It's like the antivax people. The majority of antivaxxers have not actually experienced a vaccine preventable disease nor have they seen it close up. So it's much easier for them to be antivax and romanticize the olden days. It's the same with fundies and super large families. Most didn't grow up in poverty with 10 brothers and sisters. So it's easy for them to romanticize it. I think that most fundies who grow up in poverty with super large families won't have super large families themselves. We will see this in the next 20 years. I'm not including the Duggars and Bateses because they have much more money than most fundies. 

But the married Bates kids are making different financial decisions to their parents (possibly in response to the poverty they faced as children).  All of the married Bates families have two people contributing income, Erin teaches Piano and sells music, Alyssa cleans houses and now Whitney has starting selling houses.  It will be interesting to see what they do when the extra money stops due to childcare needs or still isn't enough.

The Duggars still seem to have money and JB seems to be bank rolling the kidults, so I agree they don't count.

38 minutes ago, imokit said:

But the married Bates kids are making different financial decisions to their parents (possibly in response to the poverty they faced as children).  All of the married Bates families have two people contributing income, Erin teaches Piano and sells music, Alyssa cleans houses and now Whitney has starting selling houses.  It will be interesting to see what they do when the extra money stops due to childcare needs or still isn't enough.

The Duggars still seem to have money and JB seems to be bank rolling the kidults, so I agree they don't count.

True the older Bates kids probably remember how they lived prior to the house renovation and shows. Whitney wasn't raised fundie at all so she doesn't really count anyway. 

On 22.11.2017 at 1:45 AM, imokit said:

I vaguely remember their old house and their living conditions, but I can't imagine how poor they really were. Are they any other sources? Does anybody get what I'm saying. My English is quite poor right now due to lack of sleep. I don't want to sound snobby or anything.

And did they Duggars ever have to deal with poverty? Despite living in that tiny house? 

39 minutes ago, ophelia said:

I vaguely remember their old house and their living conditions, but I can't imagine how poor they really were. Are they any other sources? Does anybody get what I'm saying. My English is quite poor right now due to lack of sleep. I don't want to sound snobby or anything.

And did they Duggars ever have to deal with poverty? Despite living in that tiny house?

I have a vague recollection that they accepted clothing donations, but I don't get the impression that they were ever cold and hungry.

I think the Bateses were straight-up poor in the past, whereas for the Duggars it was more of a case of fucked-up priorities, as JB spent a fortune on his political campaigns, but the kids had to eat rice three ways.

17 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I think the Bateses were straight-up poor in the past, whereas for the Duggars it was more of a case of fucked-up priorities, as JB spent a fortune on his political campaigns, but the kids had to eat rice three ways.

Yeah JB actually did work, he was into real estate. Totally had fucked up priorities; Gill was straight up grifter. The Bates were definitely very poor.  

2 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Yeah JB actually did work, he was into real estate. Totally had fucked up priorities; Gill was straight up grifter. The Bates were definitely very poor.  

But didn't Gil quit a decent job with (presumed) benefits so he could become a straight up grifter?  Don't know which one of them is the bigger asshat.  At a certain point, which I think they're both well past, it doesn't seem to matter.

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

But didn't Gil quit a decent job with (presumed) benefits so he could become a straight up grifter?  Don't know which one of them is the bigger asshat.  At a certain point, which I think they're both well past, it doesn't seem to matter.

Yes, Gill quit a well paying job with benefits to grift. 

*Can we note the similarities to Derick Dillard? :P

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Yes, Gill quit a well paying job with benefits to grift. 

*Can we note the similarities to Derick Dillard? :P

Also David Rodrigues right? 

What did Schrader do before he started the RV grifting and subsequent move to Zambia? Did he ever have a job? 

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

What did Schrader do before he started the RV grifting and subsequent move to Zambia? Did he ever have a job? 

David Rodrigues for sure! He had to work on a Friday! I don't know about Shrader, I don't feel like he ever did much in the way of work. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't know about Shrader, I don't feel like he ever did much in the way of work. 

I'm a neophyte in the Shrader threads, but someone mentioned that he worked as a used car salesman for a short time. It seemed appropriate. ;)

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

He was an assistant pastor at his father’s church, as well as the aforementioned used car sales. His father pastors a real church (albeit fundie Baptist) with an established congregation.

At least two people commented on that IG photo with questions of "Is that a baby bump?"  Another reader responded to one, saying that was rude. I agree. It is rude and it is very embarrassing to a woman to be asked that if she is NOT pregnant. 

10 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

At least two people commented on that IG photo with questions of "Is that a baby bump?"  Another reader responded to one, saying that was rude. I agree. It is rude and it is very embarrassing to a woman to be asked that if she is NOT pregnant. 

She could have just eaten thanksgiving dinner and when holding a baby on the hip, you stick out your front. I had such a large food baby yesterday that I had to lay down for a full 20 minutes. I'm so glad I wore stretchy pants!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She could have just eaten thanksgiving dinner and when holding a baby on the hip, you stick out your front. I had such a large food baby yesterday that I had to lay down for a full 20 minutes. I'm so glad I wore stretchy pants!

Exactly. Her youngest is just now one and she looks fantastic!  I am still trying to lose my baby weight but trying to be patient with myself. 

My baby is only 283 months so I still have time, right? 

Priscilla looks great! Seriously, if that's a baby bump then I have to start worrying. :P 

I’m going against general opinion here and saying I think it’s a bump. Priscilla is very fit and doesn’t carry her baby weight - her stomach was perfectly flat a few months ago.

I do think it’s rude to ask about it in the comments of her Instagram though.

9 hours ago, lilith said:

I’m going against general opinion here and saying I think it’s a bump. Priscilla is very fit and doesn’t carry her baby weight - her stomach was perfectly flat a few months ago.

I do think it’s rude to ask about it in the comments of her Instagram though.

This was posted a month ago. Pris just pushes her hips and stomach forward when holding the baby. People also asked her in this picture if she was pregnant. Pris is just going to have to avoid pictures of herself holding Phillip if she gets tired of the pregnancy questions.

IMG_5658.PNG

On 11/23/2017 at 10:36 PM, lilith said:

He was an assistant pastor at his father’s church, as well as the aforementioned used car sales. His father pastors a real church (albeit fundie Baptist) with an established congregation.

John started out as an assistant pastor as his father's church, moved to briefly being a pastor of his own church in Oregon, and then sold cars before "God" decided he needed to move to Zambia. John bitched non-stop about having to work selling cars. He also listed "window washer" as his occupation on Facebook at one point. 

I don't think John is a job sort of person. 

25 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

He also listed "window washer" as his occupation on Facebook at one point. 

Also lawn care as a teen, cabinet making, home construction, real estate, and "substitute teaching."  As with the Pecan, the teaching was probably Gothard "Character" crap infiltrating the public schools before Johnny denounced BG.

The internet is forever.  I just happen to have saved John's diatribe on Pickles where he shared his "resume."  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived