IGNORED

Lori Alexander 25: A Wife Is a Good *Thing*

Anyone wanna call BS on the latest notebook doodle about a waitress telling her some women got ticked at her for saying, "Hello, ladies." ?

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@polecat Please let me clarify that I was being sarcastic with the "born to do" comment. As you stated, nursing and teaching are considered "womanly" careers in our society, and I cannot understand her hatred towards them. According to society, even fundy society, we are using out "God given" talents when we choose careers like this. Lori seems to focus on these careers in particular, and I don't understand why. Maybe it's because she is so hateful, and knew she would never hack it as a teacher. 

@Free Jana Duggar My grandmother was completed disgusted by a grocery clerk that said, "Hey guys!" to my grandfather and her. It really bothered her that she was considered a "guy." I worked retail at the time, and tried really hard to find appropriate collective nouns for mixed groups. Honestly, my default is still "guys" though. 

41 minutes ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Anyone wanna call BS on the latest notebook doodle about a waitress telling her some women got ticked at her for saying, "Hello, ladies." ?

I'm guessing it a load of BS. Unless she's one such good terms with a waitress that would tell her that kind of crud.

The only person I know in my small town who could possibly tell me that is a woman I've known for 15 years.  I doubt Lori is the type of "lady" who exudes the kind of sympathy that total strangers tell everything to.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:16 PM, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Yup, she deleted that! Can't be telling people that women can have lust problems too. This made too much common sense and so I was smart enough to capture it. 

I remember when one of the Duggars (don't remember which one) spewed forth some drivel on how women lustful thoughts...blah blah blah.  Some Gothard BS.

20 minutes ago, Exposed Collarbone said:

My grandmother was completed disgusted by a grocery clerk that said, "Hey guys!" to my grandfather and her. It really bothered her that she was considered a "guy." I worked retail at the time, and tried really hard to find appropriate collective nouns for mixed groups. Honestly, my default is still "guys" though. 

The joy of being southern...saying hi y'all to any group works well. 

4 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

My father was born in Texas, so it does slip out from time to time; however, living in Washington state "y'all" generates interesting responses. Especially because I say it in a completely West Coast accent. 

1 minute ago, Exposed Collarbone said:

My father was born in Texas, so it does slip out from time to time; however, living in Washington state "y'all" generates interesting responses. Especially because I say it in a completely West Coast accent. 

I live in Nevada...I occasionally get strange looks but well...I ignore them. 

36 minutes ago, Exposed Collarbone said:

@polecat Please let me clarify that I was being sarcastic with the "born to do" comment. As you stated, nursing and teaching are considered "womanly" careers in our society, and I cannot understand her hatred towards them. According to society, even fundy society, we are using out "God given" talents when we choose careers like this. Lori seems to focus on these careers in particular, and I don't understand why. Maybe it's because she is so hateful, and knew she would never hack it as a teacher. 

@Free Jana Duggar My grandmother was completed disgusted by a grocery clerk that said, "Hey guys!" to my grandfather and her. It really bothered her that she was considered a "guy." I worked retail at the time, and tried really hard to find appropriate collective nouns for mixed groups. Honestly, my default is still "guys" though. 

I can see a woman not liking "guys" because we're not men.  I get that, but supposedly they were all female, so "ladies" would be appropriate.

32 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

You beat me to it!  I am a midwesterner but went to college (gasp!!) in the South. Thirty years later, "y'all" is still in my blood.  

Unless it is a group of five or more... then it's "all y'all."

I don't really like it when someone includes me in "guys," but I have never said anything about it. It's a small thing. Now when a young person calls me "dude," I do say "please don't call me dude."  

Just now, usmcmom said:

You beat me to it!  I am a midwesterner but went to college (gasp!!) in the South. Thirty years later, "y'all" is still in my blood.  

Unless it is a group of five or more... then it's "all y'all."

I don't really like it when someone includes me in "guys," but I have never said anything about it. It's a small thing. Now when a young person calls me "dude," I do say "please don't call me dude."  

I grew up in Virginia...lived there from ages 9 to 21, 22-25, 33-48. I have this weird accent...partially Philly and partially VA. However, I speak Spanish with no hint of gringo. Is it any wonder I'm perpetually confused? 

Y'all works every time. It's gender neutral.

Y'all is a lovely word. :)

My niece from CA came to visit and went home saying y'all this and y'all that.  Her little 4th grade classmates looked at her like she was nuts.  LOL

1 hour ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Yes, because I have almost no doubt that Lori made it up.  Lori uses her frequent trips to restaurants for blog fodder.  Remember her middle of the night rant about the immodest waitress that served her?  And let's not forget the women that sat across from them.  

Then there was the restaurant bathroom that had inspirational sayings on the wall.  And the healthy pizza.  And salads!  And fish!  And the restaurant they go to every weekend.

Bottom line?  Lori eats out a lot...a whole lot, actually.  But she advises you not to.  After all, you have no idea what they're putting in the food, and you wouldn't want to "waste your husband's substance". 

Ma'am is a big one for me. I am aware that in some places, it's a polite title for a grown woman, regardless of age, but where I am from (PNW) it is rarely used, and then ONLY for senior women.  I mean like Golden Girls style women.  Like if their hair isn't grey and they aren't super into senior discounts, you REALLY shouldn't use it. 

So people come up here and say "ma'am", and I can't help but cringe. I KNOW they mean no offense, but YOU'RE CALLING ME OLD! YOU'RE IMPLYING I LOOK 80! 

1 minute ago, Georgiana said:

So people come up here and say "ma'am", and I can't help but cringe. I KNOW they mean no offense, but YOU'RE CALLING ME OLD! YOU'RE IMPLYING I LOOK 80! 

And again my Southern upbringing rages out...I call everyone sir or ma'am...it's just one of those things that are ingrained in you growing up. I guess you'd get cringey around me b/c I do say ma'am quite often. 

*side note* Does anyone else speculate that they're really poor tippers?  I can't stand it when someone tips poorly.  I've never been a server, but I hear they often make little and rely on tips.  
Something about them not tithing or ever mentioning charity makes me think they aren't too generous with their tips.

Now that I think about it, didn't they imply that tithing was a sin?

Yep...here it is...she heard it from her bestie Michael Pearl :pb_rollseyes:

Michael Pearl believes it is a sin to tithe.

Yes, this is radical teaching and you aren't going to hear it taught in many churches today but I challenge you to find one verse in the New Covenant {those books written to the Church; Romans to Revelation} that teaches tithing. 

No, Christians do not have to tithe; give a certain, prescribed amount away to the church and others. 

Therefore, don't let the burden of tithing and keeping the Sabbath weigh you down anymore. 

Tithing would seem like an obvious choice for a woman who believes that the church should fully support widows, but I guess if you're used to having everything handed to you on a silver platter, you don't give a lot of thought to where the money to do that comes from.  After all, God owns everything, amiright?

Just now, feministxtian said:

And again my Southern upbringing rages out...I call everyone sir or ma'am..

I am in the south too...

I don't really like to be called ma'am or Mrs. ________.  I am pushing 40, and I still prefer to be called by my first name.  "Y'all" is second nature here, though I say "you guys" a lot, for some reason. 

3 minutes ago, Koala said:

I don't really like to be called ma'am or Mrs. ________.  I am pushing 40, and I still prefer to be called by my first name.  "Y'all" is second nature here, though I say "you guys" a lot, for some reason. 

Even after being married for almost 20 years, I still can't get used to being called Mrs. ___________. 

2 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

Even after being married for almost 20 years, I still can't get used to being called Mrs. ___________. 

I am the same way.  I always just say, "Oh, call me _________".  I never want to seem pretentious, or like I think my age has elevated me above anyone else. My first name is fine. :pb_lol:

49 minutes ago, Koala said:

Yes, this is radical teaching and you aren't going to hear it taught in many churches today but I challenge you to find one verse in the New Covenant {those books written to the Church; Romans to Revelation} that teaches tithing. 

I challenge Lori to find one verse in the New Covenant that teaches blogging, boasting, gossiping, or shaming.

Re: the boldfacing, where does she think the gospel fits in to anything?

As for what to call a group of people, I have an inclination toward y'all, but being in the northern midwest, that doesn't always fly. I've found folks to be a good gender-neutral alternative.

12 hours ago, kpmom said:

So, by Lori's reckoning the women who work in the orthodontists offices where Ken consults are prostitutes, right?

And if these women didn't work in these offices they would be shut down, right?

So really, Ken and Lori make their living off these women, right?

And there's a word for people who make their living off prostitutes, right?

Again I must bring up the time Ken asked his female office staff why they didn't flirt with him. Poor Ken, stuck working with women who conduct themselves in a professional manner and/or don't think he's "all that." No wonder Lori has a hate-boner for employed women--she believes her horndog of a husband has daily free access to strange.

I wonder if she's referring (without any understanding)  to the concept that many people are trying to encourage gender neutral greetings rather than having it assumed that all femme appearing people are "ladies" etc.  I can see that whole idea going right over Lori's head and her getting "women don't want to be called ladies!! 1!!1"

I guess this is how Lori feels about the countless women who cared for her during her hospital stays:

Lori Alexander:

All of the women who don't care if strangers raise their children will be the nurses, teachers, etc. and there will always be plenty of them.

She's also doubled down on her Proverbs 31 rant:

she never worked away from her home. That is a modern day fable for "she looked well to the ways of her household."

No, she didn't have a career for she was known for "looking well to the ways of her household." She didn't "buy fields" but bought A field (one field) to plant crops on probably with her children by her side. She sewed things in her home to sell to merchants who passed by but she did not have a career where she left her home for hours every day and her children in the care of strangers as women do today.

The Proverbs woman continues to be a thorn in Lori's side, so she's reinvented it to suit her purposes.  She uses the word "probably" a lot, anytime it comes up.  

Also, she seems to assume that you can't work and take care of a home.  

On college:

With colleges and universities extremely expensive and causing deep debt among young people, it makes no sense for godly women to attend anymore

Of course, her daughter and both of her sons went to college, but the Alexanders have special rules.

9 hours ago, Koala said:

I am the same way.  I always just say, "Oh, call me _________".  I never want to seem pretentious, or like I think my age has elevated me above anyone else. My first name is fine. :pb_lol:

In hospitals and SNF they always call me Mrs. _____.  I've given up trying to get them to just call me by my first name.  It drives me crazy because my husband can get most of them to use his first name rather than Mr. _____

The first time someone called me "Mrs.________"(shortly after my wedding), I was seriously weirded out.  

As for collective nouns, sometimes I would say "folks" while working at Creepy Royal Mascot Fast Food Restaurant.

"No, she didn't have a career for she was known for "looking well to the ways of her household." She didn't "buy fields" but bought A field (one field) to plant crops on probably with her children by her side."

Oh so it's a FIELD. Just one. Not a lifetime pattern. 

But when Paul says "I do not permit A WOMAN to teach a man" (he meant a certain woman in the Greek) suddenly it's ALL women FOREVER. 

Dishonest fool. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived