IGNORED

Dillards 35: Waiting on People Magazine

Coconut Flan

On 7/21/2017 at 9:18 PM, sparklymagie said:

I'm 35 and right handed but I also never learned to hold a pen/pencil correctly.  It wasn't even until high school that I realized that I held it weirdly.  Literally nobody noticed or tried to correct me.  

I don't know if I hold the pen/pencil like a leftie, but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.  It used to be a really big bump but has gotten smaller since the vast majority of my writing has been typing for years. 

I also never learned how to use chopsticks.  Everyone who has tried to teach tells me to hold the stable stick like a pencil and I have to say "I never learned how to do that correctly!" So I'm the goober who eats sushi with a fork or my hands. 

I'm 23, right-handed, and write with the pen/pencil resting on my ring finger. I have a bump on that first knuckle, and my right ring-finger fingernail is actually flattened on the inside from resting writing utensils on it. My thumb grips across the pencil and rests on my pointer finger, near the first knuckle. I didn't realize I wrote "incorrectly" until I was in high school, hanging with a friend whose mom was an elementary school teacher. She had those little rubber guides you put on a pencil to learn how to hold it properly. Couldn't get the darn thing to work. She showed me how to place your fingers and I was like, "...that's definitely not how I write."

I hadn't tried to use chopsticks until I got to college, and I can kind of do it, but I have to focus really hard. Not sure how I hold them exactly tho, will examine when I try them again.

Also, my sister is generally right-handed, except when it comes to gymnastics. She leads with her left foot when tumbling and such.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am left handed for writing.

I wash pots with my right hand and stir when I am cooking with my right.  I serve from dishes and pots with my left.  I dial a landline with my right hand, buy cellphone with my left.  I mouse left, bowl left, I am not terribly good at baseball but bat left.  I weed left and plant right.  I harvest left.

I put this down to the piano lessons my right hand parents started me in at 5, I loved playing. 

My mother's aunt, born 1889, was left handed but had to write right handed for school.  As a treat when we were kids, she would anchor two pieces of paper and write with both hands at the same time!   It was neat.  She said it made her Christmas card writing easier.   :marker:

Fun random fact of the day: Race horses in the United States are left-side dominant because of the direction of the track. Always came in handy that my left side was stronger than my right. :pb_lol:

Dose anyone think the huge Jender reveal outfit was so big so it can fit Izzy now and then be passed on? 

22 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

My mother's aunt, born 1889, was left handed but had to write right handed for school.  As a treat when we were kids, she would anchor two pieces of paper and write with both hands at the same time!   It was neat.  She said it made her Christmas card writing easier.   :marker:

Reminds me of James Garfield, who could write in Latin with one hand and in Greek with the other at the same time! Apparently he was the first of our eight left-handed presidents. It's kind of interesting that 6 of the 17 presidents we had in the 20th century were left-handed.

On a different topic, it's cool that you knew someone born in the 1800's. I always wanted to meet someone born in that century but I never did and as of April this year there's no one left (at least not verified) who was born then. (The current oldest living person is Violet Brown, born March 1900.)

I guess I did technically meet someone born in the 19th century, though, since my great-grandmother was born in 1900 (and died in 2003) and the 19th century was technically 1801-1900.

On the horse-riding discussion, I've ridden both Western and English and have never seen anyone mount from the right.

1 minute ago, LovelyLuna said:

Dose anyone think the huge Jender reveal outfit was so big so it can fit Izzy now and then be passed on? 

I just figured it was already one of Izzy's outfits!

All of my grandparents were born in the 1800's; my maternal grandmother was the youngest in 1897.  She would have had so much better a life if she were born a generation later.  She had so much to give. 

When WW2 started because the men went to war, women got called in to work.  So for the first time she had a job.  She ran the traveler's aid in a large city in our country 1939-1945.  She did such a good job, they asked her to stay once the war was over.  But she could not do it.  The country needed her, yes.  For money, it would look like my grandfather couldn't support her. 

I had one of her flapper dresses.  It was lovely; black, sleevelesss and sheer to the 4" heavily embroidered hem.  She wore it with a black slip underneath.  She had spark and but it died out, she got married in 1919, had 3 kids, the depression came; there just  weren't the opportunities for women then.

I always wondered about the jinder reveal outfit, that Jill was convinced/hoped she was having a girl, but when it was announced as a boy she had only brought a baby girl outfit so had to use something of Izzy's, and that's why it was so big. 

Seriously.  You know a pink and blue Onzie is all of $1.00 at the local thrft store.  It just came across lazy in my opinion.

It might have been an added scene and they didn't have any new newborn outfits for both sexes, so they went with what they had. 

9 minutes ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I always wondered about the jinder reveal outfit, that Jill was convinced/hoped she was having a girl, but when it was announced as a boy she had only brought a baby girl outfit so had to use something of Izzy's, and that's why it was so big. 

They had toddler outfits picked out for either sex before they learned Samuel was a boy. 

(Link is to a comment from the episode recap done by @Carm_88- scroll down a bit for the part regarding the Dills.)

I was just about to write about those grippy things before I saw @Boogers post. I feel like I should know this from using them but it was for learning where to place your fingers to learn how to write?

@Rachel333, thanks for remembering that it was President Garfield that could write in Latin with one hand and Greek with the other.  That is really amazing!

17 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

1.  I am totally envious of anyone, at any age, who can do a cartwheel.  I have never accomplished this.

snip*

I feel the same way, I tried and tried but could never do it. Spent a lot of time falling on my butt in the front yard before I finally gave up. Yet my 55 year old self still wants to know what it feels like to cartwheel. I actually watched YouTube videos recently but I'm not sure if my body can handle hitting the ground anymore! It's a bucket list thing. I did finally take swimming lessons so there's that. 

27 minutes ago, CatchThatCow said:

Yet my 55 year old self still wants to know what it feels like to cartwheel.

I know what you mean.  I was able to do a cartwheel as a child.  Not a perfect one  like the better coordinated kids or the girls who took gymnastics, but definitely a cartwheel.  I think it would probably be a bad idea for me to attempt one now that I'm a similar age to you, but what I really want to do is a handstand.  Even up against a wall or something.  I'd  love to just launch myself and hang there with my feet up in the air. I can imagine what it would be like in theory, but in practice I chicken out.

I  have this yoga video saved that teaches you how to slowly work up the strength and balance needed to go from a down-dog position to a handstand.  Problem is that the progression from my current lack of upper body strength and non existent core muscles to what would be needed to do it without injury would be looong!   

2 minutes ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I  have this yoga video saved that teaches you how to slowly work up the strength and balance needed to go from a down-dog position to a handstand.  Problem is that the progression from my current lack of upper body strength and non existent core muscles to what would be needed to do it without injury would be looong!   

And if it takes you 100 days, you'll still get there. If you don't try, in 100 days* you'll still not be able to. :)

*time frame chided arbitrarily

38 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

And if it takes you 100 days, you'll still get there. If you don't try, in 100 days* you'll still not be able to. :)

*time frame chided arbitrarily

This is what I need to keep remembering in my weight loss journey. Not that I'm currently losing weight because I'm pregnant, but eventually.  

Ok, so lots of thread drift to wade through, but just wondered if I had missed conversation about whether we think the fact that JimBob and Michelle went to Hawaii likely means that Jill and Sam are just fine after all.  I would think that if Jill or the baby were in bad shape that they might have had to postpone their trip. 

I wonder if this media blackout has just been a massive manipulation to drum up interest in the birth and the show?

On 7/21/2017 at 6:18 PM, sparklymagie said:

*snip*

I don't know if I hold the pen/pencil like a leftie, but the pen basically rests on my ring finger, where the first knuckle is. I developed a callous or something where it rests.  It used to be a really big bump but has gotten smaller since the vast majority of my writing has been typing for years. 

*snip*

On 7/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Same. My mom noticed I held my pencil wrong one day at the dinner table (I think I was in high school), because I also hold my fork like that. She told me:  "Hold your fork correctly!" I just looked at her. She said:  "Hold it like a pencil." I told her I was holding it like I held a pencil. She didn't believe me, and made me write something immediately after the meal. *snip*

19 hours ago, PumaLover said:

I hold my pen the exact same way! I still have a huge callus although I type way more than I write now.

*snip*

4 hours ago, Boogers said:

I'm 23, right-handed, and write with the pen/pencil resting on my ring finger. I have a bump on that first knuckle, and my right ring-finger fingernail is actually flattened on the inside from resting writing utensils on it. My thumb grips across the pencil and rests on my pointer finger, near the first knuckle. I didn't realize I wrote "incorrectly" until I was in high school, hanging with a friend whose mom was an elementary school teacher. She had those little rubber guides you put on a pencil to learn how to hold it properly. Couldn't get the darn thing to work. She showed me how to place your fingers and I was like, "...that's definitely not how I write."

*snip*

I am in your club as well! I hold my pencil exactly like this, and am right handed. I didn't realize I held it weird for a long time. It's not as prominent now that I type more than write, but I had/have a callus and kind of indentation on the ring finger where the pen rests. I also hold chopsticks all weird (I had to go grab a pair to see it and describe - pinkie and thumb grip the bottom chopstick, middle three fingers grip the top, with the middle finger right on top and the pointer and ring fingers on either side of the top chopstick, so when I use them I'm only moving the top stick, the bottom one stays stationary), and can't manage them the "proper way" any more than I can manage a pen the proper way. I also still tie shoes the bunny-ear way, so I guess this is a theme for me!

For me chopsticks left handed:

Lay the chop sticks at a 45 degree angle top  part  pointing to your thumb.  Lay your thumb acoross.

Position chopsticks at food to pick up - pull middle finger back and push index finger toward food : grasp

Works with single grains of rice for me and anything larger.

3 hours ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I wondered too...If that was the case she should've drudged up a baby outfit of his or ask Jessa to barrow something since spurge would've still been a baby lol at least that's what I would've done. i totally would've thought that they were adopting a toddler boy or something from that picture!

59 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Ok, so lots of thread drift to wade through, but just wondered if I had missed conversation about whether we think the fact that JimBob and Michelle went to Hawaii likely means that Jill and Sam are just fine after all.  I would think that if Jill or the baby were in bad shape that they might have had to postpone their trip. 

I wonder if this media blackout has just been a massive manipulation to drum up interest in the birth and the show?

Meh, they don't need to be there - Jana can help, plus there's Cathy.  Didn't Michelle go protest somewhere when Josie was in hospital?  It's more important to celebrate special milestones like the big 33 ;) .

I'm  torn between the media blackout being either to drum up interest, or that Jill had a rough time (obviously she did, 40 hours of labour then a csection would be horrendous when you'd hoped to have a vbac, and Sam was obviously needing help/monitoring at first) and has said she doesn't want to deal with flak on social media, so they're just avoiding posting.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

You mean the same JB and DQ that left the country when they had a micro-preemie? 

5 hours ago, Boogers said:

I'm exactly the same way. Are you hypermobile/"double jointed" by chance?  It is common for hypermobile folks to write this way to compensate for overly flexible hands. In my case, I have hypermobility spectrum disorder.

Yes they could have a media blackout to drum up interest for a birth special in the fall. But will it work? Another week or so and people will have all but forgotten she even had a baby. Another season or two and there will be so many little Duggars hatching that these info delays will get people completely confused about which birth special they are seeing. Or whose wedding for that matter. Counting on will meltdown in a great blur of wedding dresses, proposals, jinder reveals, births, babies and courtship discussions. Oh wait! It already has.

5 hours ago, LovelyLuna said:

For sure!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived