IGNORED

Dillards 35: Waiting on People Magazine

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, Catholic and NOT 'ebil' said:

Believe it or not, it was a friend's older brother(16!), who provided the tip. We were all like 'how'd you know that?!?!' and he, in true teenage boy-macho fashion replied 'if you ever want to know how to do something right, just ask a man.' We all gave him hell for that one and told his mom who, in true cool mom fashion, called him out of the pool, had him stand with his back to her and pushed him in the pool using her foot hard against his backside LOL 

*Yet one more reason to love FJ...unexpected reminders of fond memories!*

I am sure it was all in good fun, but reading the mum's reaction I was actually shocked at first glance. Kicking your obnoxious teenager in the back to teach a lesson?????? The description made me quite uncomfortable. Hope I just interpret the situation wrong.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nvmbr02,  thanks for that link for the learner chopsticks.  I need to get each of my grandchildren a set and some for me, too,  I can sometimes use chopsticks, but not properly and I'd like to become proficient.  Back in the 70s, a grad student from Hong Kong in my Japanese class told me that many tears were shed by little kids trying to learn to use chopsticks.  They'd have to be able to pick up every grain of rice from the bowl.

Writing in Chinese and Japanese is harder for left-handed people, but not writing in Hebrew or Arabic which favors the left-handed.

3 hours ago, Catholic and NOT 'ebil' said:

Believe it or not, it was a friend's older brother(16!), who provided the tip.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the bike going as a kid, because I was using the wrong foot to push off with. Add in my parents thinking a hand me down pink bike would help and my siblings deciding to see if I could balance by setting me down the hill to coast....well that hand me down bike was given away because it had no brakes. Almost every kid in the neighborhood saw me flip headfirst, bike following over the railing and into the drainage creek. Kids are resilient and I wasn't hurt, but it did put me off trying again (and I thank my brothers that nobody ever teased me about it). I rollerbladed and if it was far rode on handlebars or in someone's back basket until I was twelve.

Then a new kid moved to the neighborhood, he was older and dreamy, I was suddenly very embarrassed that I was riding around like a picnic basket while he rolled into the inevitable hang out place on his dirt bike. Whether he just wanted to be in my eldest brother's cool kid club or was just a southpaw sweetheart, he had me able to ride a bike without needing a push in about five minutes.

14 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

My twin brother was left-handed until kindergarten when the school "taught" him to go dominantly right. This was also the late 90s so I don't know if anyone else has had an experience like this. So he'll do things like writing with his dominant hand but everything else with his left hand. I've always been dominant in right expect picking up things like a cup and when I played lacrosse (me and one of my friends were the only lefties on the team so our coach had to yell non-dominant instead of right when we did our warmup drills).

This happened to my wife. She was born in 1990 and in school, they told her she was "doing it wrong" and forced her to learn with her right hand. She's pretty ambidextrous now, but one thing she can't do is write with her left hand anymore. 

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am sure it was all in good fun, but reading the mum's reaction I was actually shocked at first glance. Kicking your obnoxious teenager in the back to teach a lesson?????? The description made me quite uncomfortable. Hope I just interpret the situation wrong.

I'm not commenting on the rightness or wrongness of the mother's actions, but she didn't kick him in the back.

She kicked him on the backside into the pool. I read that as basically using her foot to push him into the pool. Backside is not the back, it's the buttocks so the action isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

edited to add, I miss remembered exactly what was written by the OP, but it's even more clear in their post than I thought. Yeah pushed into the pool by a foot in the buttocks. 

4 hours ago, Dugg@rTime said:

I'm not commenting on the rightness or wrongness of the mother's actions, but she didn't kick him in the back.

She kicked him on the backside into the pool. I read that as basically using her foot to push him into the pool. Backside is not the back, it's the buttocks so the action isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

edited to add, I miss remembered exactly what was written by the OP, but it's even more clear in their post than I thought. Yeah pushed into the pool by a foot in the buttocks. 

Still an inappropriate thing to do as a punishment, and a clue as to why he had little respect for women.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:15 PM, front hugs > duggs said:

PS- My dad also already told me when he one day goes, my brother will then be my responsibility. Because of course. Take care of the man who has been slightly emotionally abusing you for most of your life. 

Hello.....I come in peace, as I don't know you from Adam, but can I offer an observation? Here it is: your father is wrong.  Parents are responsible for the children they chose to bring into the world.  Those children have some duties back to treat their parents with respect and honor. Between themselves, the children have the expectation to respect and help each other as they go thru life.

But to be responsible for an abusive person who by accident of birth is related to you? No. There's nothing in any healthy society that requires that. 

The verb "to be" carries power we don't always recognize, and when the original Authority figure (father) uses it, even more so. Add to that, the use of it following the death of the mother and on the topic of the father's eventual death -- nuclear-grade power. 

Continue to give this the healthily critical thought it deserves. Consider even further how your father may be wrong.  And keep on taking good care of yourself.  You deserve your own life, healing and thriving. 

Just my two bitcoin, dove.  

On 21 July 2017 at 4:06 AM, MadeItOut said:

Sure. UK originally (& all my obs/gynae history was there. Kids are no longer a possibility).

It was definitely prevalent when we were small through to specific health and childcare studies. I still have mid 80s OU material and various manuals (Miriam Stoppard etc - new baby care 1982 for one) that discuss to various lengths. It was just so normal - & tied up in that thing of 'there is no NVQ2 in childcare as that covers basic instinct'.

Later, I did believe the draconic thing was specific to one area and one team, but a bunch of us who all met at antenatal (very varying SE profiles), but by this point were onto subsequent births got together and complained to the NHS about it. Each of their conduct was upheld, though we were told that the HV was to be given a verbal warning over inappropriate threats of social service involvement to coerce cooperation.

At that point we were shocked and went back to everyone we knew and could trust. In every case except one, there was at least a couple of generations who had similar all over the country. The isolated case, her mother had worked when she was little (one of those 'I don't wasn't a child, but I'll have one for you' situations) and didn't remember holding her much at all as they'd had a nanny.

It really does sound like at least it's less of/not a thing anymore, which is awesome, because nobody orienting themselves into parenthood should be left in a position to have to field that.

My 2 were born in the 90's . My group of mum pals would have nothing to do with Miriam Stoppards advice. She allegedly had a house full of help when her children  were babies. There was no way could any of us follow her advice. A few of us had no grandparents near to help either. Her advice made us feel unecessarily inadequate.

1 hour ago, Penny said:

OMG what in the world are they wearing? Put on some shoes and what is up with the skirt down to the floor? 

Meh, the lack of shoes is a regional/cultural thing. Not going to snark on it. Here in Norway it is not common at all to wear shoes indoors, the exception being dress shoes for special occasions, and even then it is polite to ask first. I walk barefoot all the time, I loathe socks.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Still an inappropriate thing to do as a punishment, and a clue as to why he had little respect for women.

Wow. Just wow. I will withhold my opinion of that sexist statement out of not wanting to act like a child.

Its not even a serious punishment, more of an amusing one, intended most likely to be silly. Considering I spent most of my time in the pool yesterday tossing my 6yo in at his request, I can assure you that you are overreacting. I sure as hell wouldn't hesitate pushing my kid in if he said something as flippantly ridiculous as that boy did. 

Have a good day.

I write with both hands. Literally. I hold the pen/pencil in my right hand and use my left hand to guide/push it along. Boy did it piss off teachers. Confuses others.  It is probably because my hands shake so much and always have. I had some birth injuries and mild cp. mom had German measles while expecting me. 

My handwriting was gawd awful until 6th grade when a really good teacher spent 10 full minutes every day after lunch giving detailed instruction in handwriting. His students all had great handwriting by the end of the year.  His reaction to my 2 handed grip? "If it works for you, use it." 

I'm right handed, right footed, right eyed, right brained. Held my babies on what ever side it happened to be.

Storytime: How MoD Learned To Swim

When I was 5 years old, we attended the annual family reunion/cookout at my great grandma's lake house. I was wading by the shore feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't play with the big kids in the deep water. My dad eventually got tired of hearing me whine, came down to the bank, picked my little grumpy self up, carried me to the end of the dock, and tossed me in the water (maybe 6 feet deep). He said, "Swim or drown, princess!" I learned to swim real quick! :pb_lol:  (Here in the South, that's how almost all of my friends learned how to swim, and we all lived to tell about it, haha)

*Before anyone chimes in about him putting me in danger - If I'd had any problems, my dad would've jumped right in to get me. He stayed on the dock to make sure I was gonna do okay. He's always been an amazing father.

23 minutes ago, MotherOfDragons said:

He said, "Swim or drown, princess!" I learned to swim real quick! :pb_lol: 

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was only called princess by her father in a sarcastic way. He used 'sunshine' in a similar manner. :pb_lol:

I learned to swim at swim lessons when I was young (under 5). My mom took me the beach every summer and wanted to make sure I wouldn't drown if I was in the water. Side note: I learned to crawl on the beach my first summer. I have also visited an Atlantic Ocean Beach every summer except for the summer of 2015. 

I had trouble finding this whole conversation but look at the snark between Derick and another twitter member.

IMG_6905.PNGI don't think Derick thinks they're done having kids. 

Shoes inside: I read somewhere about the amount of germs and bacteria one brings inside when one wears shoes inside. And, since we live in a place with brand new carpeting (it was laid not a week before we moved in), I informed the mister that no shoes would be worn inside. He works at a lab that does testing of various bodily fluids...I don't care how clean that floor is supposed to be, you're still walking around with bodily fluids around.  So, NO SHOES. I prefer to be barefoot, he prefers slippers. 

Swimming and tossing kids in the pool: When we lived in AZ, we had a pool in our back yard. My grandson would have been not quite a year old that first summer. He LOVED the pool. He loved to be tossed in the air and then land in the pool. Of course there was an adult right there because we were the ones tossing him in the air. He learned how to bring himself to the surface rather quickly. By the second summer, he was jumping off the diving board. Of course, there was someone (usually me) there to catch him. He became a proficient swimmer by the end of that summer. By the way, the pool was divided from the rest of the yard by a 5 foot fence and latch. When we were not in the pool area, the latch was above his head and he could not fit between the bars in the fence. He only went in the pool area when there were adults present AND his ever present guardian dog who'd jump in the pool too. 

27 minutes ago, BabyBottlePop said:

I had trouble finding this whole conversation but look at the snark between Derick and another twitter member.

IMG_6905.PNGI don't think Derick thinks they're done having kids. 

Especially if you substitute "children" for "wisdom" in his current bible verse tweet.

I hope that was the "it would be wise to limit your family size to 3 children" doctor talk. 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:53 PM, Million Children For Jesus said:

I don't think 10 days is too long of a visit for Izzy to have with his grandmother, or that it makes Jill entitled. If your kid is going to be happier in the care of a willing, able, and loving relative who is available to help, than it seems like a no brainer to send him over. I got zero help with any of my babies. I wish I had a grandma Cathy, and although it makes me feel a little sad that nobody was there for me, I certainly don't fault the women who utilize their resources. 

What was that again about the Netherlands sending baby nurses to the house? Gosh, I really would have loved that.

It would be nice if Derick could handle a 2-year-old while helping his wife with a newborn, but he certainly wouldn't be the first man who couldn't or wouldn't.

I was born in the old days, before leave for parents.  My mother went in on a Saturday to have my younger brother. As I was 18 months the doctors wanted her in for 10 days.  (I came home on day 3.)

Her parents FLEW to be able to take care of me on the Monday as my father would be at work as usual.  They stayed for two weeks.  My brother came home on the following Monday (my father's company generously, for those days,) gave him the day off.  Apparently I wouldn't let go of my mother for the entire day; my grandmother was an unknown to me (we had visited when I was 10 months, there was no memory of her).  

With all the computer ways to talk, and the visits back and forth every few months from SA, I imagine Israel knows who is grandmother is. And what's to say Derek wasn't staying at his mother's place.  

...but getting back to the left handed/right handed topic, I'm right handed and can only do cartwheels if I put my left hand down first (I'm in my 50s and still like to do cartwheels). When I try to start with my right hand, I just collapse into the ground. Why is this?

6 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Her advice made us feel unecessarily inadequate.

You just made my heroes list - I never met anyone else that felt like that. I just thought I was too bad at it....

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived