IGNORED

John Shrader Part 12: Empty Baptismal, Empty Brains

FundieFarmer

17 hours ago, formergothardite said:

He wrote a long, comment about repentance where he kept using all caps. 

Haha I would over to see it, I'm sure it was quite ridiculous. Blocked here -_-

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, formergothardite said:

John has decided to read through the entire New Testament each month. I wonder if this will last longer than his month long juice fast. 

He is just boasting bigly about having lots of spare time to do nothing else in. (IMO) 8-)

@Howl that was hilarious! Mr. Shrew & I went to our favorite antique mall Sunday & in one of the back rooms was a dilapidated, moth-eaten antelope head, with its poor rubber nose half-rotted away. I should have taken a picture. I would have bought it just to save it (& possibly set up an altar to Rufus's sainted cousin), but Mr. Shrew barely tolerates the soft sculpture rhino & panda heads I have now.

He posted a link to a video about Hudson Taylor. He gave this warning, though

Be very careful and wary of the uploader, Still Water Revival Books. They are "Reformed" followers of the Baptist hating murderer John Calvin.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

He posted a link to a video about Hudson Taylor. He gave this warning, though
Be very careful and wary of the uploader, Still Water Revival Books. They are "Reformed" followers of the Baptist hating murderer John Calvin.

Hey, a religious fanatic's version of a trigger warning.  Thanks, John.  We'll  be on full red-alert to retain our "holier than thou" score. 

I popped "Baptist hating murderer John Calvin" into google's search box and came up with an interesting series on Patheos by Frank Viola, who points out that all Christians are a work in progress, and just because someone held certain beliefs at some point in their life, subsequent spiritual growth can nullify, moderate or change those beliefs.  (Viola assumes for the better).  And this speaks directly to John: 

Unfortunately, many evangelicals are quick to discount — and even damn — their fellow brothers and sisters in Christ over alleged doctrinal trespasses, even if those same brothers and sisters hold to the historical orthodox creeds (Apostle’s Creed, Nicene Creed, etc.). Such discounting and damning can always be avoided and it serves no one on the Kingdom side of the aisle.

When diversity within orthodoxy is encountered, grace should be extended. Just as we would want grace extended to us, seeing that none of us sees perfectly (Matthew 7:12).

Anyway, here ya go with Frank Viola's post, Shocking Beliefs of John Calvin!

Spoiler alert!  #1. Calvin believed that executing unrepentant heretics was justified.

The rest of it is a bit shocking as well, but provides insight on the beliefs of some "Reformed" Calvinists. 

Disclaimer: I know zip about Frank Viola and his theological beliefs; just thought this added interesting background color to John's comment. 

16 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Reading the whole New Testament in a month! I don't even understand the point.

It gets him out of having to do any work, or spend any time with his kids, and gives him a month where he can excuse the lack of converts etc because he's been reading the New Testament.  Laziness, plus getting to be the centre of attention ("Don't disturb Daddy/the Pastor/John because he's studying"), plus looking Holier Than Thou = perfect!

(I wonder if he's taken to his bed again to undertake this onerous task?)

2 hours ago, Lurky said:

It gets him out of having to do any work, or spend any time with his kids, and gives him a month where he can excuse the lack of converts etc because he's been reading the New Testament.  Laziness, plus getting to be the centre of attention ("Don't disturb Daddy/the Pastor/John because he's studying"), plus looking Holier Than Thou = perfect!

(I wonder if he's taken to his bed again to undertake this onerous task?)

He *might* be able to use it as an excuse.... However, there are 138,020 words in the new testament, and at the average person's "speed reading" level of 200 words per minutes, it would take a little under 12 hours. So 30 minutes a day, skipping Saturdays & Sundays? Unless you're going to be extra diligent & take notes and such. Which John probably would in order to feed his holier than thou complex. 

On 05/28/2017 at 7:50 PM, PennySycamore said:

@Freejin, Rufus is a taxindermied deer head that Jinger hit, had stuffed and then took to Texas with her.  It was important to Jinger that Rufus come with her to her new home after she was married.  We've discussed it a lot on Quiver Full of Duggars.

I thought Rufus was that guy from the future in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." Sorry to have been wrong!

@clearingthingsup Oh for sure, for a normal person - but then a normal person wouldn't make a big deal about it, they'd just spend that 30 mins a day reading, maybe 30 mins thinking about it too, whether reading to find out more, or as part of a devotion.  But with John he's like the exact opposite of that Matthew verse about praying in private - for most other people, it would be important to do, with John, it's important to be seen doing.

ETA I wouldn't be surprised if John's a slow reader too - his education doesn't seen to have been prioritised by Daddy...

1 hour ago, mirele said:

I thought Rufus was that guy from the future in "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure." Sorry to have been wrong!

I thought Rufus was Chris Rock's character from Dogma.  :pb_redface:

He is planning on spending an hour each day and will do this each month. I don't really see the point because just reading through something super quick over and over isn't better than studying things slowly so you can fully grasp what is being taught. 

45 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

He is planning on spending an hour each day and will do this each month. I don't really see the point because just reading through something super quick over and over isn't better than studying things slowly so you can fully grasp what is being taught. 

Only if you listen to some nutball who has spent years in seminary and then just a few decades putting it all into real practice:  the 75 year old priest at the local Catholic church who has the view that one should read carefully and try to get through the current Gospel during the period it's read at church.  So when Mark is the Gospel, then read the parts that are skipped in the Mass reading and ponder over them.  Even the big evangelical groups who were all pushing the read the Bible in a year programs are backing off that these days. 

I was curious about how many chapters he would have to read to get through the New Testament in a month. Reading through the bible in a year requires 3 to 4 chapters a day. If I did the math correctly, there is 260 chapters in the New Testament. So he would have to read 8.7 chapters a day to get through it in 30 days.

Is the Old Testament not important to him?

Also, Mr. A caught me flipping through a bible with a calculator. I really couldn't come up with a non-crazy explanation.

@formergothardite The warning you quoted from him made my morning, so thank you for that. 

It's funny how history remembers people. Calvin is buried two blocks from our old flat in Geneva. It's not advertised and there isn't a pathway to it so you have to know he's there and really go looking for him. Where he is mentioned around the city he's referred to as a Frenchman (as opposed to Rousseau where they make a point to underscore that he was was Gevevois "In this house...was born Jean-Jacques Rousseau, the son of a Swiss watchmaker". 

I spent high school mired in Reformed tradition and even I was taught that Calvin had someone jailed for naming his son Claude and had one of his (step?) children put to death for having sex behind a haystack with someone they weren't married to. 

8 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I spent high school mired in Reformed tradition and even I was taught that Calvin had someone jailed for naming his son Claude and had one of his (step?) children put to death for having sex behind a haystack with someone they weren't married to. 

Well, one has to draw the line somewhere....

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:43 PM, Grimalkin said:

Reading the whole New Testament in a month! I don't even understand the point. This sums John up pretty well. Quantity not quality. He is powering through the NT like he is performing a circus stunt. Your a clown John.

John, perhaps you should slow down and absorb what you read, and apply it to your life.

But then he would actually need to understand what he is reading...

John is back to bashing Arcade and Jolis. He posted a link to a book called The Church: Keepers of the Flame and this:

If you're confused on the Doctrine of the church then you NEED to get this book!

This very doctrine is why we are no longer working with Arcade Niyomwungere or Runzanga Jolis.

Neither one of them are under the Authority of one of the Lord's churches right now. Please do pray for them in that matter.

I highly recommend you get this resource.

There's a sale (at the lowest price) in the next couple days as they try to boost this wonderful resource to the top of Amazon's Bestseller list.

Thank you for this labor of love Bro. Douglas Hammett. May the Lord continue to bless you and Bro. Bynum, and all who read this book.

Jolis is showing more Christian spirit than John ever has. I think John is SEVERELY jealous that a person from Africa didn't need him to explain the Bible to him. 

Am I as spontaneously kind to God as I used to be,or am I only expecting God to be kind to me?
Am I full of the little things that Cheer His heart over me,or am I whimpering because things are going hardly with me?
There's no joy in the soul that has forgotten what God prizes.It is a great thing to think that God Jesus Christ has need of me,"Give to drink."
How much kindness have I shown Him this past week?
Have I been kind to His reputation in my life?

That describes John. 

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Neither one of them are under the Authority of one of the Lord's churches right now. Please do pray for them in that matter.

Says the man who has been "self pastoring" for how many years now?  Apparently, John doesn't need to be "under the Authority of one of the Lord's churches" -- yet another indication that he's Holier Than Thou™, in case you had any doubts.  

Go Bro. Jolis!  Go Bro. Arcade! 

I wonder if the way he's bashing Jolis and Arcade will have an impact on his "ministry"?  Because the picture he's painting isn't just of expecting men to submit to him and follow him, but if you disagree, you won't go your separate ways, but John will bash you and try to turn others against you.

And I wonder how John would feel if people he'd looked up to but fallen out with kept on talking about him, publicly, the way he talks about Jolis and Arcade?   It's cognitive dissonance enough that he's complaining one day about someone criticising him, in amongst his posts gnashing his teeth and rending his garments over losing 2 of his followers, and telling the world they're untrustworthy etc etc - can't he see the hypocrisy here?

I do wonder if a lot of it is that he assumes people living in Africa don't have the internet like he does in Africa, so he can get away with it more - but surely, if someone's interested in joining a church, and they look up a pastor on facebook, and see them ranting about people who left their church, it would be a whole parade of red flags?

(I guess with someone like Steve Anderson, when people look him up and see him ranting, that's an attraction to a tiny minority - but he very specifically preaches hate, so is drawing people in by bashing a common enemy - very different to John)

19 hours ago, Lurky said:

I wonder if the way he's bashing Jolis and Arcade will have an impact on his "ministry"?  Because the picture he's painting isn't just of expecting men to submit to him and follow him, but if you disagree, you won't go your separate ways, but John will bash you and try to turn others against you.

In all the stuff he's gotten into fights with different churches & pastors over, I don't think *one* of them has ever publicly defamed him by name. Ever. I know vbc his original sending church didn't ever mention him by name in public speaking, only private communication I think, and as far as I'm aware Rea never did either. His brother Jace may have, I'm not sure.

He seems to keep different rules for himself though.

He's super spesshhl ya know. So it's okay. 

You know what I wish?  I wish John would read the New Testament and actually get the message. 

On 6/1/2017 at 3:07 AM, Lurky said:

I do wonder if a lot of it is that he assumes people living in Africa don't have the internet like he does in Africa

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next you will be telling me that they have iphones and running water in Africa too!!!!!!!!!!!!11  Dontcha know poor John is toiling away in a heathen primitive area with rudimentary roads and electricity (or magic as the natives think of it). It was only yesterday that the poor savages  ,  er, people took the bones out of their noses and learnt some english like civilized white folk. (tongue clearly in cheek here)

2 hours ago, snarkopolis said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next you will be telling me that they have iphones and running water in Africa too!!!!!!!!!!!!11  Dontcha know poor John is toiling away in a heathen primitive area with rudimentary roads and electricity (or magic as the natives think of it). It was only yesterday that the poor savages  ,  er, people took the bones out of their noses and learnt some english like civilized white folk. (tongue clearly in cheek here)

Sadly that's exactly what John would like his Humpers to believe. If his Hunpers voted for Trump, then yes, they probably do believe it. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived