Coconut Flan

We have lots of grocery stores really close by my house, TJ and WF and the more local ones. We are getting a Wegmans and people are really excited. Is it better than WF? What makes it so special? Publix is about 20-25 minutes away and I wasn't terribly impressed. Educate me!

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wegmans and Whole Foods are different. Whole Foods is a huge "health food store". No hot dogs with nitrates, no dyes or chemicals. All health food stuff, including personal care. Some harder to find "health food" choices, some hard to find. That's what it is.

Wegmans is a huge beautiful, fun food store. Huge produce section, a large prepared food section, fine meats, fresh seafood, and a great bakery. Happy staff. An organic, health food section and a solid gluten free section.

It makes food shopping as pleasant and fun as it can be. The "regular stuff" i.e., cereal canned goods, rice and such was listed at the top of the list for best prices a few years back when I lived in Northern Virginia. 

Fun.

I shop at Whole Foods for hard-to-find items and little else.  I don't like them.  In my experience, the staff hasn't been especially friendly or helpful (with exceptions, and it's better than it used to be), I think their prices are nuts (also with exceptions), and I can go to an organic food market not too far away whose standards for "healthy" seem noticeably higher.  WF does have a nice produce section though.

I love Wegman's, though it's ~15-20 miles away.  Competitive prices, very friendly and helpful staff, and a great selection of items.  I'm typically there once or twice a month.

All that said, I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's.  There's one less than a mile from me and, while it doesn't have the selection of Wegman's, it suits most of my needs.  And their prices seem better than the other two stores.

My favorite grocery store is winco foods. It started in the pacific northwest. Its employee owned so the employees have a say in what is in each store. They have a great produce section and a great bulk food section. They do not specialize in health food or organic but I dont mind.

I'm a certified grocery store junky. I go to Whole Foods for bulk items, novelty vegan foods, and their hot and cold bars. When I go grocery shopping I almost always eat lunch there. They have more tantalizing plant based options than going to Chipotle again (Chipotle is still my best fraaaaan though). Also, Whole Foods can have some great deals if you keep an eye peeled. I bought some organic baby food there for the boy today for .89 a jar. Trader Joe's is next and I go there for their dairy free cream cheese, coconut milk is cheapest there, coconut coffee creamer for the husband, and so on. Sprouts for produce + bulk items always and forever. They have cilantro regular price 2/$1, for instance. That beats even Aldi who sells it for .69 a piece. Then I hit up Aldi and get the items that are just cheaper than everywhere else like cereal, bananas, and sparkling water. We also have Sam's and Costco memberships. Costco is mainly for the Kirkland's formula for the boy. Going to the store is an all day event for me.

I went to a Whole Foods for the first time in Palm Springs last summer. It was simultaneously ridiculous and magical. 

They had a mochi bar, a smoohie station, fancy water, fancy ice cream, fancy cereal and, a huge-ass bakery. My moth is watering now.

I usually go to Stop and Shop for comparison.

And yes, Publix in Orlando is pretty cool. A little crowded, though.

On 5/17/2017 at 4:08 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

LOVE TJ's Whole Foods is WHOLEY overrated & overpriced hipster food. We can get just about everything they sell there at a local Hy-Vee for a fraction of the price.  There are local health-food stores that sell a lot of the same  really odd stuff too, in much less crowded locations.  

I also LOVE Trader Joes.On the weekends,they are packed.I have gone there with Mr Melon and my sons.They all liked it,even Mr Melon and my Walmart loving oldest son.I HATE Walmart.The first time,I went to TJ when Melon son 2 ,he said Well this is almost like a WholeFoods  store,but it's smaller.....and it's cheaper.The prices on some of their items are comparable  with Walmart.

My oldest son cannot stand Whole Foods,he says it's just overpriced.He didn't laugh when I told him that some people call it 'WholePaycheck".

I have my own issues with Whole Foods, but to be fair, the 365 Everyday Value line is price matched to Trader Joes, as is the Peppermint Dr. Bronners. Most of the 365 stuff is pretty good, but I recommend splurging on Juanitas tortilla chips. I mostly shop at Grocery Outlet and Saars, but will head to Safeway or upscale markets for more specific items. I also love farmers markets but they're so much more expensive than anywhere, even Whole Foods, so I can only afford the occasional trip.

8 minutes ago, melon said:

I also LOVE Trader Joes.On the weekends,they are packed.I have gone there with Mr Melon and my sons.They all liked it,even Mr Melon and my Walmart loving oldest son.I HATE Walmart.The first time,I went to TJ when Melon son 2 ,he said Well this is almost like a WholeFoods  store,but it's smaller.....and it's cheaper.The prices on some of their items are comparable  with Walmart.

My oldest son cannot stand Whole Foods,he says it's just overpriced.He didn't laugh when I told him that some people call it 'WholePaycheck".

This is why I don't go to Whole foods... I would exclusively shop there but it's soooo expensive. I only buy items there that I can't get anywhere else.

I like Whole Foods,but I have to agree that they are so expensive.

Since,we have a TJs,I rarely go to Whole Foods.

I like Whole Foods,but I have to agree that they are so expensive.

Since,we have a TJs,I rarely go to Whole Foods.

I do shop at Publix and Harris Teeter,sometimes,but usually when they have a certain item,I know I can find there,and or they are having a great sale.

20 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

Iowa girl here. I will always be a fan of Hy-Vee, where there's a helpful smile in every aisle. For my fellow Iowans, have you seen the new downtown Des Moines Hy-Vee on Court Avenue? It's a foodie's paradise. Oh my sweet lord.

DH and I went through there a couple weekends ago very quickly on our way to Court , he wasn't as into looking as I was so I didn't get to see much, but it looked really nice.  I'll have to really check it out when I hit up the farmers market some Saturday. 

I like Trader Joe's and we have a near by Whole Foods but I've never been. 95% of the time I shop at the commissary and the PX. The staff is typically helpful and it's always organized plus I don't have to pay tax and I'd say things cost about 20-40% less on adverage from the regular grocery. But the stores are always ugly, always so crowded because everyone gets paid in the same days and while they have most things you'd want there's not much selection. They carry just a couple brands normally and few lower range and one expensive brand

One thing that is missing from New York City is large grocery stores.   We have local chains such as CTown and KeyFood.   Most stores are very small, they are most  times just  the size of a CVS or Waldgreens in the suburbs.   We have lots of great small independent fish and green grocers plus some great ethnic markets. I do most of my shopping locally within walking distance of my home.   Occasionally I will shop Whole Foods and Trader Joes.  The Trader Joes has a line to get in most days, so it is not my first choice.

Stop and Shop has recently come to the city, plus a Wegmans of 75,000 sq ft is planned.  

I was in Kansas City MO years ago with my son for a chess tournament and we were in the overflow hotel.  There was an amazing large grocery store nearby and we walked around it for a few hours in wonder, never having seen a store with a sushi counter, pizza oven, plus tables to sit and eat.  It was a completely new experience for us but is probably how most of the US shops.

Where I live, I have TJs on one corner, WF across the street, and New Leaf Market on the another corner. I usually shop TJs- it's the cheapest with the easiest parking lot to navigate.

#Thriftyandlazy...I good be an honorary Duggar

I wonder if the girls' lawsuit is going to be mentioned on the upcoming season. I am leaning towards probably not, but I wouldn't be too surprised considering how candid the first few episodes were, with all of the talk of the Josh scandals and how it affected them.

I LOVE TJs...now that I live closer to one I'll be there a lot! I also like WinCo and Smith's (Kroger), Von's and Albertson's are Safeway stores and are just too damn expensive for me. We're considering a COSTCO membership...don't know how worthwhile it would be for just the two of us though...

14 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I LOVE TJs...now that I live closer to one I'll be there a lot! I also like WinCo and Smith's (Kroger), Von's and Albertson's are Safeway stores and are just too damn expensive for me. We're considering a COSTCO membership...don't know how worthwhile it would be for just the two of us though...

I had a Costco membership with my husband before we had kids. I like their rotisserie chicken, and we usually got under 10 items when we went so we were able to get to use the self checkout lanes. This was a few years ago, but hardly anyone used them. That's what I miss about the Costco over there: the self checkout. And the lines for gas were always relatively short, in comparison to SoCal. My husband really wanted the membership just to be able to get gas there, but, since you shop at Smith's, you might be able to get a better deal with the fuel points. And sometimes it's nice to get a cheap lunch at their snack bar. 

Not sure how it works/ if one can just search it and find it but I got an email from Livingsocial yesterday about a 50% off BJs membership. I prefer Costco but where I live right now, BJs is a lot easier to get to and I have thoroughly enjoyed my membership. Just a PSA for my fellow deal lovers! 

Our BJs has gas and we get great lowered gas prices.

Publix is three blocks from our apartment, and Whole Foods & Trader Joes are several miles away and in unbelievably congested areas. Publix wins for us, plus the emplyees are super friendly & helpful. Mr. Shrew works at a BiLo 2 miles away, and refuses to ever shop at any BiLo. If we need something he stops at Publix on the way home.
Before I moved Ingles was my absolute favorite. One on the way home from work & one in a nearby small town. But where I used to live was rural, so it was almost a 10 mile drive to either of the nearest grocery stores. I ended up getting cleaning suff & paper products at the local Dollar General.
I love city living. 

A Fresh Thyme just opened up in my neighborhood and I am ridiculously excited to go there every time. It's a little bit like Trader Joe's but bigger, and they have a little coffee bar and sandwich shop inside. I miiiiight like it better than Trader Joe's but only because it's so much closer to me, and they have more fresh produce.

41 minutes ago, FeministShrew said:

Publix is three blocks from our apartment, and Whole Foods & Trader Joes are several miles away and in unbelievably congested areas. Publix wins for us, plus the emplyees are super friendly & helpful. Mr. Shrew works at a BiLo 2 miles away, and refuses to ever shop at any BiLo. If we need something he stops at Publix on the way home.
Before I moved Ingles was my absolute favorite. One on the way home from work & one in a nearby small town. But where I used to live was rural, so it was almost a 10 mile drive to either of the nearest grocery stores. I ended up getting cleaning suff & paper products at the local Dollar General.
I love city living. 

If you don't mind my asking, why doesn't your husband work for Publix instead? They have really great benefits for employees including stock ownership and retirement plans, even for part timers. I apologize if I am overstepping, but I am a former Publix employee, and while I wouldn't say everything is always rosy and perfect, they do treat their employees great.

4 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

A Fresh Thyme just opened up in my neighborhood and I am ridiculously excited to go there every time. It's a little bit like Trader Joe's but bigger, and they have a little coffee bar and sandwich shop inside. I miiiiight like it better than Trader Joe's but only because it's so much closer to me, and they have more fresh produce.

We just got Fresh Thyme in my area too.  I've been there far too many times since it opened a couple of weeks ago.  I love that store.  The prices are great, the produce is excellent compared to the other stores in this area, and their bakery is fantastic.  A grocery chain called HyVee has the monopoly in this area, and I really don't like their stores at all.  I'm so happy to have another option beyond Walmart (I refuse to shop there).  

@Londish that's a good question. When he moved here two years ago BiLo was hiring & Publix wasn't. The job was supposed to be a stop gap until he got a teachimg job. For various reasons that hasn't happened. I think he's holding onto BiLo because to take another retail job would be like admitting defeat. Plus, he suffers from anxiety like I do, and change is hard for us.

Every time he goes in Publix in his work clothes the managers tell him he needs to come work there. He'll have enough credits toward his MA to apply for adjunct faculty positions at the college level in June.

7 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

I love Fresh Thyme! I have Fresh Thyme literally in my backyard.  They have the best produce and meat. Plus their bulk food section is awesome. The employees are very friendly, too.

I have Fresh Thyme on one side of the road and Kroger on the other. Trader Joe's is less than a 1/4 mile down the street. Walmart is a 1/2 mile away and the Aldi is just beyond Walmart. I also have a Super Target in there, too. Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck) is about two-three miles in the other direction. We have a Marsh, but it's going out of business. 

I usually shop at Kroger & Fresh Thyme. Occasionally I'll go to Walmart- especially if I need personal care items. I'd rather just order from Peapod (Owned by Stop & Shop) but it can get pricey. Now that I'm fully healed from foot surgeries I can't rationalize ordering my groceries. 

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived