Coconut Flan

Is wegman's one of those stores where it has to be within a truck ride away from stuff like their dairy farms? Wawa for example is concentrated in the east coast because their dairy farm is in PA.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, that's what I get for trying to bring the thread back on topic. A page full of shops that I have never heard about. (At least now I know where to go for groceries if we take that US-trip Mr Way keeps suggesting.)

Says something about how fun the Duggars are I think. 

I shop at Ica Maxi, husband preferes Willys, but I still miss the awesome Ica, Ica Bea that we lived close to before. I have never needed anything that I couldn't find there and I might have spent an inappropriate amount of time talking about that shop and how much I miss it at a party a couple of weekends ago. The guy I talked to used to live close to it too though so he understood the love. 

Vaguely on topic, there's something I'm really curious about the last few days and I just can't get my head around it:

JD flies a plane (very competently by the look of things), Nathan Bates instructs now, several others duggar brothers fly too don't they?

Apart from you have to have a lot of maths to fly, doesn't it also take a lot of evaluation, forward planning and critical thinking skills to fly a plane?

I can see how the whole physics can't totally explain how the plane stays up appeals - because jeebus... but surely critical thinking etc are not skills that fundie parents would want in their offspring? - no matter how exotic it makes their praycation reach.

I love Trader Joe's, we have 2 in San Antonio now...each of which is pretty close to one of each of the two Whole Food's we have... How convenient, lol. My DS has ADHD, and is dye sensitive, so I love that almost everything there is ok for him. I go to Whole Food's for a few things, and HEB is getting better and better

I liked Publix when I was in Georgia, and Sprouts was OK before the one near me closed down... all of the name brand stuff they carried I could get cheaper elsewhere though.

4 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Is wegman's one of those stores where it has to be within a truck ride away from stuff like their dairy farms? Wawa for example is concentrated in the east coast because their dairy farm is in PA.

not sure about dairy, but their produce must be shipped from within 50 miles when in season can't remember the restrictions offhand, but displays indicate where items come from, and a lot is within the county.  compared to other chains in the area, Wegmans does have the best produce by far, and it's not overpriced.

You guys are making me homesick with all this talk of real chain grocery stores. I literally live on a island in the middle of nowhere and we have a couple of local "chains" but they are nothing like real grocery chains with delis and such. Out of the ones mentioned I have only lived near a Trader Joe's and Aldi but I have visited a few of the others. I can't wait to shop at a real grocery store again. And Costco. And Target.  And....

8 hours ago, Mela99 said:

We had Wegman's back in PA. Their bakery was ridic- especially their vanilla bean muffins. 

I would KILL for a Trader Joe's - I wish they would have put that in East Lansing instead of Whole Foods. It's a college town - ain't nobody got time (or money) for Whole Foods.

My parents live in the East Lansing area and were thrilled when the WF opened.  My mother thinks its so cosmopolitan compared to the Meijers.  

1 hour ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

My parents live in the East Lansing area and were thrilled when the WF opened.  My mother thinks its so cosmopolitan compared to the Meijers.  

I'm from the UP and people are thrilled to finally get a couple of Meijers. The world may come to an end if we ever get a WF.

I swear, I am starting to wonder if Minnesota is even part of the US.  I don't recognize any of those stores.  (Except Aldi and Trader Joes) we do have Cub, Byerlys, Coborns and Lunds.  And of course, Walmart, Costco, SAMs Club and not to be overlooked....the greatest store of all...Target!  

2 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I swear, I am starting to wonder if Minnesota is even part of the US.  I don't recognize any of those stores.  (Except Aldi and Trader Joes) we do have Cub, Byerlys, Coborns and Lunds.  And of course, Walmart, Costco, SAMs Club and not to be overlooked....the greatest store of all...Target!  

I lived in Minnesota for 10 years. We shopped at Coborns, Traders Joe's, Whole foods, Aldi, Target and Costco. I never really got into Byerlys, there wasn't one near us and I disliked shopping at Cub or Rainbow.

When I was in California we did most of our grocery shopping at Safeway. In Arizona we mostly we to Fry's. I have lived in several states all over the US and imho the east coast has the best grocery choices out there. 

On 5/16/2017 at 9:14 PM, BadMammaJana said:

I really like Trader Joe's. Their coffee ice cream is the best, and they have the cheapest organic milk. I wish the stores were bigger, and had more bulk food. It was great when it was just my husband and me, but I just get certain things from there now that I have 2 kids. Sprouts is my favorite grocery store here on the west coast. I LOVED Fresh & Easy, but then it bit the dust. I still get sad whenever I pass an empty one. 

Went to a Sprouts in Boulder. It was pretty much Whole Foods but smaller. There was a King Sooper there as well. It was a re-branded Kroger, nothing special.  I just liked saying Sooper.

It's so expensive though ! [emoji53]

9 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

We have sam's club though. Lol. 

I have been to Trader Joe's in the states.  It's not that exciting.  WF is also in the states and here and that is a touch more exciting.  Farmer's market's are always nice 

I miss Giant Eagle and Weis from back home. Meijer is great but GE especially had some great stuff. 

Iowa girl here. I will always be a fan of Hy-Vee, where there's a helpful smile in every aisle. For my fellow Iowans, have you seen the new downtown Des Moines Hy-Vee on Court Avenue? It's a foodie's paradise. Oh my sweet lord.

I love Publix. If the closest one weren't 50 miles away, I'd shop there a lot. As it is, when I go to Nashville, I usually stop by on the way back home. The guava pastries are addictive...unfortunately, they and my braces do not get along. :(  Kroger is half as far away and pretty good also, so I'm over there fairly frequently.  My closest stores are Walmart and a small local grocery chain called Food Giant.  I used to love Trader Joe's and Whole Foods when I lived in Chicago...but the closest ones of those to me now are in Nashville, so I haven't been to TJ and have only been to WF once since I moved down here. When I'm up in Evansville, I usually stop by The Fresh Market. My sister is addicted to their raspberry cake and I usually hit the produce section and the bakery case for their cannoli.  Mejier's is up there, too...loved them when I lived up north. Needless to say, I always keep a few thermal bags in my car to transport food!

I love Trader Joe's, and we just got an Aldi in my area, and I haven't yet had a chance to stop by there. In addition to Gelson's and Whole Foods, I also have Lazy Acres which is similar to Whole Foods, but not quite as expensive. I also have several farmer's markets I can visit as well.

We recently got a Stew Leonard's here on Long Island. We had their liquor store, but now we have the grocery store as well. I love them! Their prices are pretty reasonable and everything is fresh! I absolutely love their bakery section because all their bread is baked fresh with no preservatives in house. I had gotten some good sourdough bread from them and I made an amazing grilled cheese with it! 

We have Kroger's, Aldi's, Save-a lot, Dollar General Market.  When I was little we had a Winn Dixie.

2 hours ago, nst said:

I have been to Trader Joe's in the states.  It's not that exciting.  WF is also in the states and here and that is a touch more exciting.  Farmer's market's are always nice 

Well, if you were in the B'ham TJ, it isn't that exciting, it's pretty small really.

I shop at Fred Meyer mostly, but it's not the bee's knees or anything.

• Coconut Flan unpinned this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived