IGNORED

Lori Alexander 18: Taking Pictures in the Closet

choralcrusader8613

Then there was this response on FB:

I love it. I would add, "no skirts above the knee" because short skirts and dresses are just as much a problem. But women seem to find it hard to change in order to not be a temptation.

But, but....Ken says:

I like Lori to wear dresses at or just above her knees

Ken likes mine above the knees so this is where I wear them! 

:roll:

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did y'all notice Pickles commented on the millenials being lazy post?? It's pretty snarky & has been there since Thursday! 

Funny the mental gymnastics you have to do when you try to control other adults.

You tell them they can't wear leggings, they tell you that you can't wear pants or skirts above the knee.  The message of Jesus is completely overlooked, because you all major on legalism, and minor on Jesus.

Well isn't this just lovely?? 

Is she really saying that until a person has become a Christian (whatever that means to her) they cannot enter a church building??  

IMG_6176.PNG

The language of that sign is Catholic. I'm guessing it is at a traditionalist Latin mass Catholic church. The rest of us don't dress up all that much--it's jeans and t-shirts and often shorts in summer at my parish. In our house, dressing up for church means no t-shirts or sweatshirts with graphics/words. Except for masses at religious ed, then never mind that. I wear skirts or dresses sometimes in summer, but casual ones. The rest of the year, it's jeans. I dress up for mass at Christmas, Easter and when we attend confirmation every other year for the kids we teach. 

Of course, I wear sleeveless stuff and skirts/dresses above the knee, so I wouldn't be let in the church with that sign even when I am dressed up. 

I'm from the south. If anybody wants to "stumble" on my sleeveless and sweating-like-a-pig-in-Kentucky-in-August countenance, more power to them. But that is not my problem.

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

Is she really saying that until a person has become a Christian (whatever that means to her) they cannot enter a church building??  

IMG_6176.PNG

So the church isn't a hospital for sinners, then?

I was wondering if the skirts above the knee comment was really a zinger at Lori. It was a little too perfect. Or the most crazy coincidental thing ever. 

8 minutes ago, smittykins said:

So the church isn't a hospital for sinners, then?

This bothers me so much. A REAL church is for EVERYONE. 

“Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.”

10 hours ago, The limit does not exist said:

I hope Lori finds the current Dillard thread and reads it! So many good looking people! :my_heart::562479574e583_32(16):

*ahem* You mean the Seewald thread. But details. It's the best thread drift EVER.

19 hours ago, Showtunesgirl said:

One of the readers commented on the feminism post asking about ideas for stay-at-home jobs. Very curious to see if she will get any responses (other than the usual "just trust God").

Well, if you've been to college or have certain skillsets, working from home can be possible and quite lucrative...I got the kick in the ass I needed to get my business off the ground...and it's looking good. 

9 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

I remember when she did that dumb ass WW2 blog entry and we talked about it on FJ. She's still stupid  and of course, she is  linking old blog entries as an attempt to make seem as if past eras were better. There are times I wish time travel existed just so Lori could be sent to the past and see that not everything was hunky dory.

Hey, Lori--my Italian-Catholic mom, who waited till marriage while her sailor fiancé was off in the Pacific during WWII, told me there were plenty of women who had a wild old time stateside while their men were away during the war.  She also mentioned gals who came into the office on Monday mornings still tipsy from partying over the weekends. 

But what did Mom know, other than her direct experience.

ETA:  I wonder what Lori would have made of my grandmother? We found a picture of her from the 1920s, wearing knickers and astride a motorcycle. My mom said, "Were you dressed up for a costume party?" Grandma said, "No--that's what we always wore to ride motorcycles!" Despite several marriage proposals, Grandma didn't get married till she was 28 because she'd been having too much fun!

Isn't a church simply any place where two or more gather in His name? 

Oh, wait, Lori didn't say that so it just not be true...

If my church had that sign, I would probably turn around.  I will wear a fairly modest top with sleeves or a sweater, but not going to guarantee a skirt.

@louisa05, thanks for clearing that up!  I am certainly not enjoying watching all the men running around this base...

Wow, she is really getting reamed in the comments section. 53 comments, about 3/4ths objecting. It'll be interesting to see the mass deletion after she wakes up. 

13 hours ago, usmcmom said:

IMG_6176.PNG

Well, at least they're being honest about their intentions. Their churches are clearly not "hospitals for sinners" but rather "museums for self-proclaimed saints."

Or, you know, country clubs for people to sit around and gossip gleefully about how everyone who isn't just exactly like them is going straight to hell.

I would expect to see that sign in an OLD Catholic church. And when I say "old", I mean like in Italy or France. A Middle Ages church. 

It's long been a dream of mine to visit St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican, and other gorgeous religious sites. From what I understand, sleeveless shirts are a no-go at many of them, out of respect. I'm cool with that. 

When I went out into the city in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, I covered my head and my shoulders, wore a long skirt. Also a sign of respect. I can't say I was 'cool' with it, because it was hot as hell...

But in THIS time period, in this culture, it's completely unnecessary. (And I thought Lori was a Calvary Chapel person. AFAIK, they don't believe in the Real Presence).

1 hour ago, polecat said:

Or, you know, country clubs for people to sit around and gossip gleefully about how everyone who isn't just exactly like them is going straight to hell.

I think you just described Lori's ideal church. 

And the underlined part, that was the morning staff "prayer" time at Christian school in nutshell. Of course the gossip was all delivered with this preface: "I'm only telling everyone so we can pray about it". Yeah. Right. That's why your delivery is so smug instead of concerned. 

1 hour ago, TeddyBonkers said:

I would expect to see that sign in an OLD Catholic church. And when I say "old", I mean like in Italy or France. A Middle Ages church. 

It's long been a dream of mine to visit St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican, and other gorgeous religious sites. From what I understand, sleeveless shirts are a no-go at many of them, out of respect. I'm cool with that. 

When I went out into the city in an unnamed Middle Eastern country, I covered my head and my shoulders, wore a long skirt. Also a sign of respect. I can't say I was 'cool' with it, because it was hot as hell...

But in THIS time period, in this culture, it's completely unnecessary. (And I thought Lori was a Calvary Chapel person. AFAIK, they don't believe in the Real Presence).

St. Peter's and Vatican City were astonishingly beautiful and moving - and I'm not Catholic. We arrived as soon as St. Peter's opened, on a weekday, and there weren't many people. Mr. BlackSheep and I were the only ones standing in front of the Pieta. As we contemplated it silently, I spontaneously cried at the beauty of it. The tears just started flowing.

After exploring the rest of the church - which was breath-talking and beyond description - we passed the Pieta again on the way out. So many people were taking pictures of it, and so many camera flashes were reflecting off the glass - it was hard to see the Pieta clearly. I was so glad that we had seen it early, when the church was quiet and nearly empty.

I hope that you can fulfill this dream someday! Rome was - wow, there's no way to describe it and do it justice.

I wore capri style yoga pants yesterday and while out I suddenly thought of Lori. No one seemed to notice or care that I saw, but then again I really don't care to notice if others care what I wear. 

6 minutes ago, dairyfreelife said:

I wore capri style yoga pants yesterday and while out I suddenly thought of Lori. No one seemed to notice or care that I saw, but then again I really don't care to notice if others care what I wear. 

Exactly...who notices what other people wear? I only notice stuff that is totally weird or off for the weather or something like that. There was a woman in our section at a concert a couple of years ago wearing a hoop skirt and neon colors that didn't match with big plastic 80s jewelry and teased up rainbow colored hair. I noticed her. And she was perfectly modest by Lori's standards-the skirt was below the knee, no cleavage, no bare shoulders. Every now and then, you see girls in Uggs and heavy looking sweaters around here in the heat of summer. I notice that because I think they must be unbearably hot. And again, usually modest by Lori's standards. 

I've never seen anyone in the weird modest wear swimsuits at a pool or beach, but I'm thinking I'd notice them more than women in bikinis because they would look so different than everyone around them. 

All of this brings to mind that the biblical passages the modesty teachings are usually defended with are about not drawing attention to yourself more than they are about covering up. 

16 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Well, if you've been to college or have certain skillsets, working from home can be possible and quite lucrative...I got the kick in the ass I needed to get my business off the ground...and it's looking good. 

So you're selling Plexus and didn't tell us???  (Can I get a discount??)

26 minutes ago, Granwych said:

So you're selling Plexus and didn't tell us???  (Can I get a discount??)

nah...just prostituting my design, project management and tech writing talents to the highest bidders. 

46 minutes ago, jerkit said:

I just stopped in to say that I will be at St Peter's and the Vatican next week!

This is my jealous face- :annoyed:. But seriously, have fun!!

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived