IGNORED

Lori Alexander 18: Taking Pictures in the Closet

choralcrusader8613

I once used peppermint candy for indigestion while camping, and it worked amazingly well. That's the extent of my olde tyme remedy experience.

Peppermint, ginger, and coke for me - although I would advise never all together. Ginger coke is really good though.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just learned that Lori's preference for the 1828 Webster dictionary isn't unique.

http://webstersdictionary1828.com

Quote:

Christian readers will find it rewarding to compare Webster's definitions of such words as: marriage, education, sin, law, faith, and prayer, with those given in any modern dictionary. The difference gives an appreciation of early American values.

I looked up some definitions there. No wonder Lori likes it.

From 'Modesty':

4. In females, modesty has the like character as in males; but the word is used also as synonymous with chastity, or purity of manners. In this sense, modesty results from purity of mind, or from the fear of disgrace and ignominy fortified by education and principle. Unaffected modesty is the sweetest charm of female excellence, the richest gem in the diadem of their honor.

The words for the male and female sex organs are not there. 'Sex' and 'intercourse' are there but don't mention the act.

And I looked up three words - racial ones - that are not acceptable in today's society, just to see - and two are there. The definitions are shocking by today's standards.

Manuka honey is used by medical doctors here in the UK to help in the treatment of wounds and superficial skin infections. My grandfather was prescribed medihoney (a form of manuka honey) for a skin graft that just wouldn't heal, with wonderful results. I have friends who have been prescribed medihoney for burns and pressure sores. 

I have used it on the advice of my wound care/tissue viability team and surgeons on a superficially infected surgical wound, and as a barrier cream around my surgical feeding tube. The medihoney was used in conjunction with antibiotics for the surgical wound but on its own around the feeding tube. I was pretty happy with the results, especially around the tube, where the skin often gets irritated, raw and infected from contact with liquids that are designed to be inside the digestive system, not outside. I like the smell of the honey and am not allergic to it on my skin, unlike almost everything else that I have been prescribed at one time or another.

As others have said, infections can be extremely dangerous and I am very much not recommending that anyone try to treat infections with honey at home without consulting an appropriately-trained medical practitioner (doctor, surgeon, nurse practitioner, etc). I just wanted to share my experience from across the pond where manuka honey seems to be viewed as Not Woo. 

http://www.dermasciences.com/medihoney

8 minutes ago, Jellybean said:

Manuka honey is used by medical doctors here in the UK to help in the treatment of wounds and superficial skin infections. My grandfather was prescribed medihoney (a form of manuka honey) for a skin graft that just wouldn't heal, with wonderful results. I have friends who have been prescribed medihoney for burns and pressure sores. 

I have used it on the advice of my wound care/tissue viability team and surgeons on a superficially infected surgical wound, and as a barrier cream around my surgical feeding tube. The medihoney was used in conjunction with antibiotics for the surgical wound but on its own around the feeding tube. I was pretty happy with the results, especially around the tube, where the skin often gets irritated, raw and infected from contact with liquids that are designed to be inside the digestive system, not outside. I like the smell of the honey and am not allergic to it on my skin, unlike almost everything else that I have been prescribed at one time or another.

As others have said, infections can be extremely dangerous and I am very much not recommending that anyone try to treat infections with honey at home without consulting an appropriately-trained medical practitioner (doctor, surgeon, nurse practitioner, etc). I just wanted to share my experience from across the pond where manuka honey seems to be viewed as Not Woo. 

http://www.dermasciences.com/medihoney

@Jellybean Any idea if they received prescriptions that had to be filled at a pharmacy, or if the doctors recommended that they buy it OTC (over the counter)? I'm not looking to debunk or criticize - just curious about the process in a health care system that recognizes the benefits of medicinal honey.

The pharmacy where I work doesn't stock any type of honey or, say, wound dressings that contain manuka honey. Tomorrow I'll be checking our warehouse's website to see if this sort of thing is available.

3 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

And I'm sure they are still living in the lovely halcyon days of one job, one paycheck (earned by the man) covering all expenses, while the wifey stays at home. Because this is, for a majority of families, an impossibility, a large family as defined above, living on one paycheck in today's age may be living in some kind of poverty.

And yet for the majority of human history and cultures , women have worked outside the home. Simply because a single income wasn't enough and never has been enough.

My most researched historical era is the Tudors, followed by 1914-1950 Britain. And for the bulk of the female population, they worked. Along side their husbands , in fields, down mines, weaving and spinning, in trades, in shops. In agriculture and fishing.

Whole families had to do huge amounts of physical labour in order to ensure the family's survival.

These people cling to a Victorian-era dream where ladies were the pampered pets of rich men rather than the reality that life then was hard and life now is hard.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep said:

@Jellybean Any idea if they received prescriptions that had to be filled at a pharmacy, or if the doctors recommended that they buy it OTC (over the counter)? I'm not looking to debunk or criticize - just curious about the process in a health care system that recognizes the benefits of medicinal honey.

The pharmacy where I work doesn't stock any type of honey or, say, wound dressings that contain manuka honey. Tomorrow I'll be checking our warehouse's website to see if this sort of thing is available.

It was given to me by the woundcare team at the hospital so I didn't have to fill a prescription at the pharmacy, but there are dressings impregnated with honey and topical preparations that can be prescribed and dispensed at a pharmacy. I'm not sure if the medical preparations are available OTC, though obviously one can buy straight manuka honey at the supermarket or health food shop. 

Here is a link to the most recent NHS woundcare guidance for the treatment of chronic wounds:

https://www.nice.org.uk/advice/esmpb2/chapter/key-points-from-the-evidence

The evidence for honey in woundcare is not particularly strong and definitely needs further research - the document linked above is long but very interesting as a summary of the evidence in support of, or against the use of honey in this particular clinical scenario. 

If you're interested in the exact honey-based products that are available on prescription in the U.K., this is a link to the honey section of the British National Formulary. It lists all the products that are currently available, along with brief descriptions. It might make it easier for you to look up/compare to the products available (or not available) where you work:

https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current/a5-wound-management-products-and-elasticated-garments/a53-antimicrobial-dressings/a531-honey

Thanks to @ShowtunesgirlI just checked and several of the topical medical honey preparations are available OTC here too

In the U.S., I believe medihoney is available over the counter. After my accident last year, the hospital gave me one tube to use on my wounds and said I should be able to get it in any drugstore if I needed more. 

16 hours ago, YourMamaKnew said:

Where does she live? California?

Her ridiculous thought line of "wives who don't stay home, work because they want material things". Does she really not understand that some people HAVE TO work? Not because they want shit, but because they otherwise could not afford to feed kids. She lives in this crystal bubble that needs to be shattered. I have a few friends who would LOVE to stay home, but literally cannot. And they live extremely modest. Another friend who's husband left her. Child support LITERALLY only covers bills--she has to work for food/gas/child expenses. There is no other way. And she lives in a tiny 2 bed apartment with multiple kids. She legally cannot get any smaller of a place. I know this factually because I've written out her budget to find every place we can cut. We can't. 

Lori's comments really hurt my heart. 

I agree with this. She just doesn't get that many women have to work and help support their families for various reasons and it's not material things. Sadly, these are the types of possible scenarios that would shatter Lori's bubble and might make her understand.

1) One of Lori's sons  ends up ill or disabled and can no longer work(let's say the illness or disability is severe and causes them to be mostly home-bound). SSDI isn't enough for their wives and children to live off, so the wife goes out into the workforce to add to the household income. Lori, of course is upset and tries to beg Ken to support their DILS and grandchildren, but he probably knows deep down that they just don't have that kind of wealth to support a DIL and grandchildren for years.

2) Same scenario- But, one of Lori's son-in-laws ends up ill or disabled and can't work. Lori's daughter Alyssa works part time as dance teacher and sells Lularoe. Those forms of income combined with SSDI probably wouldn't stretch that much in California. While Alyssa and Jon don't have any children for now, they might not be comfortable trying to live off just SSDI and part time income from dance instruction and Lularoe.

Cassi's husband Ryan likely has lingering debt from pharmacy school and then throw in dental school debt. If he ends up in situation where he can't work and there are still education debts Cassi would probably need to work to support him, their child and any other future children, and to pay off the loans and any other debts. If Lori pushes Cassi to stay at home and then maybe she will have to hear about collection agents calling Cassi, utilities  being turned off, bank overdrafts etc.

3) Scenario 3-illness or disability strikes one of Lori's grandchildren and Lori's son or son-in-law can't support their family and the child's needs on one income. I'm friends with a couple whose youngest child has cerebral palsy. Now, both the husband and wife were both working before that child was born. There would have been no way that they could have managed on just the husband's salary. Even with both of them working, money was tight for several years until the wife got a job promotion and raise.

Families have ended up medical debt and bankruptcy because of ill or disabled children. Sometimes insurance policies get exhausted or they don't cover certain services. In my friends' case, both of them working probably prevented them from ending up in bankruptcy or major debts.

There would be need a catastrophic situation in Lori's family to give her some understanding. Even if she tries to have her children or grandchild get assistance from churches or private charities, she will end up seeing that those organizations can't really do a lot in the long run. Then again, Lori is such a fucking moron that she would keep pushing that praying to God would bring assistance and "blessings" to family members in need.

Hello, first time poster here but I've been lurking on FJ for a long time. Lori is by far and away my favorite fundy to snark read. A despicable woman with truly dangerous advice for potentially vulnerable women. I imagine her internal life to be a very cold and loveless place. Not to mention her kooky product plugs that are also equally bad advice. Norwex cloths, black salve, etc..

With that being said, I have found manuka honey to be very beneficial for me. I am allergic to every antibiotic and simple infections can quickly become serious. Several years ago, I had the misfortune to contract MRSA. I was hospitalized and treated for my infection as well as my allergies. Unfortunately, it came back and after some research for a natural remedy I found manuka. It worked amazingly well and I'm no longer a carrier. I'm very selective about what I buy. It's not all created equally. The manuka bush only grows in one place in the world and is very cost prohibitive. I purchase overseas from a French "parapharmacy". I am by no means rich and have to save up for a once a year purchase but for me there are no good options. I eat it every day and use topical treatments and a propolis throat spray. 

Please, please, please don't take my word for it. I am only talking about what worked for me. MRSA is not something to take lightly. 

12 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

My great-greatgrandmother used honey to treat infections, sore throats, and coughs. This was way before antibiotics and other medical treatments became available. When I'm sick, I go to the doctor. I don't do home remedies.

Some home remedies do work pretty well (like aloe on sunburns or baking soda for indigestion). But there's no way I'd forego medical advice in favor of all home remedies all the time. Why would I? There's just no reason to.

8 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

And yet for the majority of human history and cultures , women have worked outside the home. Simply because a single income wasn't enough and never has been enough.

My most researched historical era is the Tudors, followed by 1914-1950 Britain. And for the bulk of the female population, they worked. Along side their husbands , in fields, down mines, weaving and spinning, in trades, in shops. In agriculture and fishing.

Whole families had to do huge amounts of physical labour in order to ensure the family's survival.

These people cling to a Victorian-era dream where ladies were the pampered pets of rich men rather than the reality that life then was hard and life now is hard.

@Seahorse Wrangler Great post!

Lori recently discussed the Industrial Revolution and how it ruined families. So I did some research along those lines but didn't post about it at the time.

What I read jibes with what you say - women working outside the home is not a new thing.

Lori recently commented that today's women will happily answer to a boss but not to their own husbands. Even in days of yore, when women did piecework from their homes, they had to fill orders, meet deadlines, and produce quality work, as directed by a boss.

1 hour ago, polecat said:

Some home remedies do work pretty well (like aloe on sunburns or baking soda for indigestion). But there's no way I'd forego medical advice in favor of all home remedies all the time. Why would I? There's just no reason to.

I agree, there are some home remedies that work well alongside medical intervention. But, yeah there is no way I would forego all medical advice to do home remedies all the time.

I learned quite a bit from the posts on people who have used medical grade honey that was prescribed by medical professionals. That is a responsible thing. The problem is that Lori isn't promoting that kind of honey. She is promoting honey that can easily be purchased through online methods.

In today's post, Lori continues to use the verb "To reverence", wouldn't the correct term be "to revere"?

3 hours ago, polecat said:

These are "medical-grade honey products for the management of wounds and burns." This is a bit different from using something off the grocery shelf or purchased from Amazon, imo.

Exactly. Not to mention the fact that it's very different when someone is recommended to try something by an MD whose supervision they are under vs. a random blogger. 

10 hours ago, lilwriter85 said:

There would be need a catastrophic situation in Lori's family to give her some understanding. Even if she tries to have her children or grandchild get assistance from churches or private charities, she will end up seeing that those organizations can't really do a lot in the long run.

So true. Many of these people who claim that the church will cover everything obviously haven't fallen into a situation where they need serious financial/housing/medical help for months or years on end. Churches can do lots of amazing outreach for those in need, but they also don't have infinite resources. 

Not to mention, it's not as though one brand of Christianity has a monopoly on charity. All sorts of people want to help shelter, feed and care for the less fortunate purely out of a sense of compassion for other humans. No religion required. While some people certainly belong to a faith that suggests they do so, most would help the needy regardless of what their religious text says! (And regardless of who the needy are.)

38 minutes ago, December said:

So true. Many of these people who claim that the church will cover everything obviously haven't fallen into a situation where they need serious financial/housing/medical help for months or years on end. Churches can do lots of amazing outreach for those in need, but they also don't have infinite resources. 

From experience, I can tell you that churches may help for a month or so but that's it. The social service agencies (city, state, federal) are the ones who are set up to help long term. Our church helped us a bit, but the agencies that got us on our feet were all state and federal. If it wasn't for the VA, HUD and Medicaid, we'd have been screwed. Lori is a stupid, stupid, unfeeling, ignorant, self-centered bitch. 

When I feel a cold coming on or have a cold and that nasty sore throat that comes with it, honey mixed with lemon is quite soothing. I like to warm up some homemade lemonade with honey and drink it. However, that's a minor cold, not some serious infection. If I thought I had strep or other infection I would see a doctor because I value my short life and want to live more than just 30 years. 

Many have rightfully pointed out that many women have no choice but to work outside the home.  But, you know what? Some women do work just because they want to.  Maybe it gives them a sense of self-worth.  Maybe it makes them happy to actually earn an income and use their education. Maybe they don't want to stay home with the kids all day - maybe that would make for a stressed out mama.  And maybe, just maybe, they want to earn their own living in order to buy material things (god help them)!!  There's not one damn thing wrong with any of that and women who work, whatever their reason, should not have to answer to the likes of Lori for the choices they make.  

She always 'knows women who..' and she 'has seen so many..' and states that 'women today..'. Fuck she's irritating.

So this is where I accuse Lori of an extremely selective reading of the Bible (based on her little Titus 2 scribble thing). Has she ever read Proverbs? Because if not, I'll do a bit of exegesis for her now. 

10 Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
    She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
    and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.      --> not Lori's thing is it 

13 She finds wool and flax
    and busily spins it. --> she takes care of her family's needs
14 She is like a merchant’s ship,
    bringing her food from afar. --> she makes sure her kids have food 
15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
    and plan the day’s work for her servant girls. --> she gets up early and does shit (but I guess there is a little space here for house slaves or SAHD??) 

16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
    with her earnings she plants a vineyard. --> she is engaged in business and investing activities 
17 She is energetic and strong,
    a hard worker. --> yeah not Lori 
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
    her lamp burns late into the night. --> she's a businesswoman, she saves and invests smartly and provides for the future. 

19 Her hands are busy spinning thread,
    her fingers twisting fiber. --> again, she does shit 
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
    and opens her arms to the needy. --> helping the needy. Not scoffing at them. Helping. 
21 She has no fear of winter for her household,
    for everyone has warm[c] clothes. 

22 She makes her own bedspreads.
    She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
23 Her husband is well known at the city gates,
    where he sits with the other civic leaders.
24 She makes belted linen garments
    and sashes to sell to the merchants. --> she makes mooooonneeeeyyyyy 

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
    and she laughs without fear of the future. 
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
    and she gives instructions with kindness. --> HAHAHAHA
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
    and suffers nothing from laziness. --> EVEN LOUDER HAHAHAHA 

28 Her children stand and bless her. --> if there not on the floor because they are being beaten 
    Her husband praises her:
29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
    but you surpass them all!” --> keeping her out of the public eye is Ken's interpretation of this, I'm sure 

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; 
    but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
    Let her deeds publicly declare her praise.  

Yeah I don't think this is Lori. 

Ken says on FB:

I like it! :) Thanks for being a wife who seeks godliness in everything! You are a joy to live with and and to serve!

Yup, see, Ken serves Lori!

1 hour ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Ken says on FB:

Yup, see, Ken serves Lori!

And Lori replies: "Best comment ever! :my_heart:"

:pb_lol:

I still don't understand where Lori and her readers are finding all these non-strawman people in their lives/churches (part of me still thinks it's all strawman examples). I go to a very conservative, complemenatarian-marriage teaching church, where I am in the position of observing much (but not all, obviously) of the good, bad, and ugly in many of my friends' marriages. For the record, none of my friends have a perfect marriage (they're always the first to say their relationships are works-in-progress, and I can attest to that) but they would never dream of sharing their marital or parenting problems online for the whole wide world to see because that would be disrespectful to their husbands and families.  I feel like if these types of women and marriages that are described on her blog are so prevalent in Lori&co.'s circles, perhaps it's just time to change churches or social circles instead of complaining anonymously on the internet? Or maybe it's just me...

Lord.have.mercy.  She's back on the damn leggings again.  AGAIN!  Why?  Is she doing it to shame her daughter (the article she links, mentions the exact brand her daughter sells)?  Is she doing it because she thinks Ken spends his days (as a Godly older man, of course), looking at women in leggings?  Just why?  :pulling_hair:Why does it matter to her what other adults wear?

I manage to go all over town, and it never occurs to me to care what other women are wearing. My husband goes off to work every day.  I never worry that he'll be "defrauded" by the women he passes on the street.  I never worry that he'll lust after a complete stranger.

My god, what kind of men are these women married to? Do they just have no self control?

In the comments, her readers are busily trying to "out-modest" one another.  

"I wear a skirt over my leggings."   

"Well, that's just shameful.  I wear leggings, shorts, AND a skirt so that my brothers in Christ don't stumble."

:roll:

I rarely even look at what other women are wearing when I'm out and about, I've got too much else on my mind. Lori must go around blatantly staring at every woman she passes. :shock:  Which is extremely rude, if you ask me. 

Personally, I can't stand Lularoe. Mainly because everyone I know on FB seems to be trying to sell them to me lately. But also because at almost 60 and a good bit overweight, the last thing I need to be wearing is a pair of tight leggings with big slices of pizza printed all over them. :pb_lol:  But I honestly don't care if anyone else is wearing them, if that's what they want to do. Or anything else they want to wear. It's just none of my damned business. I sure wish Lori would realise it's none of HER damned business, either. :pb_rollseyes:

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived