IGNORED

John Shrader Part 11 - God's Grifter Falling Apart

Coconut Flan

I'm reading through the back story here and one thing that seemed off to me was the timeline of when he "sent" these people back to Burundi. He acts like it's no big deal at all. 

From mid 2015 it's been getting progressively more violent there (election issues, protests, failed coup, government reprisals). The papers here have articles about violence there on a weekly basis. So these guys basically survived Hell growing up amidst the genocide and then just when things start to get bad again Shrader is all happily, "I sent them off to bear fruit!!! Yippee!!!" He comes across as being incredibly cavalier with people's lives. 

I'm not surprised that Jolis is in Dar. This is all speculation and I don't know his backstory but it's possible he spent some time in a refugee camp in Tanzania during the genocide and eventually got citizenship. Almost half a million people have fled to TZ since 2015.  The refugee camps that had been basically empty three years ago are filled way past capacity. The situation really isn't good. 

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankyou Palimpsest, Formergothardite and Clearingthingsup for your posts. We blocked folk are very grateful to you for your diligence!

We would miss the whole pantomime if it weren't for you. 

:beer::cocktail:.

7 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Thankyou Palimpsest, Formergothardite and Clearingthingsup for your posts. We blocked folk are very grateful to you for your diligence!

We would miss the whole pantomime if it weren't for you. 

:beer::cocktail:.

I'm actually blocked by John but I personally know many of the people involved. 

The whole Schrader saga just reinforces for me the idea that both those who finance 'missions' and the Governments who issue them visas need to enquire a LOT more closely into the background of those they approve.

John seems to be doing nothing but damage.

And the young men who have been beguiled by John seem to have been left high and dry the moment they disagreed with or challenged him.

I truly do believe that he is not 100% mentally competent - he has no critical faculties with regard to his own behaviour, and reminds me of nothing so much as 19th century colonising 'missionaries'.

if you want to read about the 'anti John' type of practical help, I suggest reading about Child Haven -

http://www.childhaven.ca/

Handia recently posted on facebook (my paraphrase since it's private, my bad for mistaking that earlier, sorry!!) that it's hilarious when emotionally unstable & carnal individuals think they can be leaders... He then goes on to say that he can have some sympathy for the individual in question because considering their family history & the fact mental issues can be hereditary, well... 

Fairly obviously who he's talking about haha

"Carnal hypocrite"? WTF has he been up to?

32 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

"Carnal hypocrite"? WTF has he been up to?

Idk I've always said someone doesn't get "strange women" requesting to be their Facebook friend all at the same time unless they're visiting "questionable" websites! :naughty:

Maybe he's taken after the way of old Joshley? 

Or maybe handias talking about his lack of self control & anger issues. Or his laziness? Or his half-truths (lying)? Greediness & grifting? Schmoozing & groveling to get what you want? 

There's a long list that could qualify. :think:

For me, the word 'carnal' has sexual overtones. Self control and anger issues wouldn't qualify.

Handia handles John's abysmal behavior with true grace and a sympathetic spirit.  Despite John's frequent attacks and reprehensible badmouthing, Handia observes more of the situation, understands that John is likely unbalanced (at best), and doesn't center himself as The Most Important And Sin-free Person Ever in the conflict. John could learn a lot from Handia's mature, measured response.  

I have a question for those who know more about IFB.  In Jewish culture, speaking ill of a person is one of the very worst things you could ever do, especially if that person isn't around to set the matter straight.  As I understand it, the problem is that a reputation is easily destroyed, and as a matter of human dignity and respect, one does not seek to impugn the character of another.  Is there anything remotely similar in the IFB?  It's simply unfathomable to me that John could be respected as a pastor by anyone with the way he viciously verbally attacks those who disagree with him.  Not only does that demonstrate his need for unthinking followers, he also shows a callous disregard for the souls he is (or was) allegedly leading to Christ. How can people consider him any kind of pastor? He's truly monstrous.  

John has high hopes he is going to get that plane(or any plane) so he can go flying. T

ell me God isn't big...I mean, REALLY BIG!

My friend and Brother in Christ Nate Holmes is working on establishing an Independent Baptist Aviation ministry. That's right, let me say that again. An IFB Aviation Ministry!

Bro. Holmes has a burden to help missionaries like myself use the tool of aviation for the cause of the Great Comission of Christ.

He will be serving together with eminently qualified men such as Bro. Holaday.

Brother Chris Holaday is retiring from the Army, and has more than 3,300 hours of logged flight time. For those interested, his Pilot and Type ratings are listed on the front of his prayer card below.

I am asking you to pray with me as Bro. Chris is trusting the Lord for His deputation. Many times churches struggle to see the need for "Helps" missions such as this.

Take it from me, I NEED their help!

Excited that God may be moving the plane situation forward! And at the very time we need it!

Rejoicing in God's amazing ability to move and connect and work.

Bro. John Shrader 
Zambia

John needs this plane big time right now. So far everything else has failed, he needs something to show off. Plus, he seems super bored with all his current toys. 

So...Bro Chris will fly the plane. So why all the flying lessons, John?

A waste of money and time, perhaps?

John is yet again rewriting his mission.......now he needs a sidekick!

41 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

John is yet again rewriting his mission.......now he needs a sidekick!

It is all smoke and mirrors again.  It may be fantastic news to John (pray for him!) but don't hold your breath.  

Bro. Nate Holmes is "working on" establishing an aviation mission.  Last time I looked he was in transition between states and the mission was on paper only.

Bro. Holaday is just starting Deputation.  Usually that takes a couple of years.  His missionary ambitions to train pilots need some expanding before he can give Johnny lessons.  Perhaps he'll do a "survey trip" to Kafue in the next few months to look at John's jigsaw puzzle of plane pieces.  

If he can get someone else to pay for it.

Please forgive a silly question, as I have been searching around but can't find a definitive answer - what exactly is John's plan for the plane? How will it be used in ministry? I see promises from him that it will super awesomely help, but how? Reaching far-off places to proselytize? Flying over and dropping gospel tracts on communities like when the US dropped leaflets in Iraq? How? 

3 minutes ago, Marshmallow World said:

Please forgive a silly question, as I have been searching around but can't find a definitive answer - what exactly is John's plan for the plane? How will it be used in ministry? I see promises from him that it will super awesomely help, but how? Reaching far-off places to proselytize? Flying over and dropping gospel tracts on communities like when the US dropped leaflets in Iraq? How? 

Not a silly question at all.  His original plan was to use it to go into the "bush" (where no missionary has gone before) carrying the materials he was printing.  He also thought it would be really useful to nip up to Burundi to visit the converts he made there back in 2012.  If they are still alive Eddie and Arnaud have probably forgotten about him by now.  And we know what happened to poor Arcade.

God will provide runways, aviation fuel, taxes, plane hangars, engineers, and his pilot's license because the one he got in the US is useless.

I am moved to poetry:

"The spring is sprung, the grass is riz.

I wonder where John Shrader is.

They say the Shrader’s on the wing.

But that’s absurd. The wings is OFF the bird."

@Marshmallow WorldHe really just wants to fly a plane and pretend he is Indiana Jones. He just makes it seem like he wants to visit communities in hard to reach areas.

For those of you more familiar with Africa and Zambia, what is the infrastructure like there? Some info I read says Zambia's economy has been growing and improving, but still more than half the population live in poverty. I take for granted the roadways we have in America. Roads cost money to build and more to maintain. So maybe a plane makes sense. I appreciated @subsaharanafrica'S comments because I know very little about modern day Africa and even though I try and read up and understand the social/political/economic landscape, it's hard for me to keep it straight in order to understand the significance of John's shenanigans. I'm a total auditory learner.

Bravo @Palimpsest!

28 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I am moved to poetry:

That. Was fantastic. :clap::you-rock:

My knowledge of modern missionaries is solely what I have learnt on this thread.

Is it normal for so many early converts to desert the pastor who enrolled them? John seems to only hold his 'converts' for a year or so....how long will Roderick stick around?

1 hour ago, amandaaries said:

Handia handles John's abysmal behavior with true grace and a sympathetic spirit.  Despite John's frequent attacks and reprehensible badmouthing, Handia observes more of the situation, understands that John is likely unbalanced (at best), and doesn't center himself as The Most Important And Sin-free Person Ever in the conflict. John could learn a lot from Handia's mature, measured response.  

I have a question for those who know more about IFB.  In Jewish culture, speaking ill of a person is one of the very worst things you could ever do, especially if that person isn't around to set the matter straight.  As I understand it, the problem is that a reputation is easily destroyed, and as a matter of human dignity and respect, one does not seek to impugn the character of another.  Is there anything remotely similar in the IFB?  It's simply unfathomable to me that John could be respected as a pastor by anyone with the way he viciously verbally attacks those who disagree with him.  Not only does that demonstrate his need for unthinking followers, he also shows a callous disregard for the souls he is (or was) allegedly leading to Christ. How can people consider him any kind of pastor? He's truly monstrous.  

There is! There's actually a really strong "no gossiping" culture, on the surface anyway. I've seen this backfire more than once, when things that should have been out in the open were not, because people feared being known as gossips. It can be a good thing in some cases, but bad pastors use it to their advantage. If it's wrong to gossip about regular people, imagine the outrage when a pastor is the target. And, imagine  the damage that can be done when info about a pastor SHOULD see the light of day and is hushed up. There are some groups where people attempt to cover their gossip by calling their tidbits "prayer requests." I haven't seen this much at all, but enough people have mentioned it that I figure it must be true in some circles. I'd say it's an area of constant conflict.

What John is doing is seriously shitty, by his own circle's standards. There is no reason to trash these men's  reputations, except that it benefits John. If called on it,  he'll say it's necessary to share since the men are contacting his supporters. He'll also claim he's sharing enough so people can pray but not too many details that it's gossip. This is obviously false, but most people will accept it anyway because 1. John is a godly missionary and can't be a bad guy and 2. These Africans aren't regular white Americans with good morals and stuff. That's why they need IFB missionaries like John. 

Roads in Zambia are generally very good. A lot of investment from China has helped to improve road infrastructure and Bridges over the past few years. 

Main towns and cities have normal roads, and are totally accessible by car.  Rush hour traffic is the same as in UK and USA!  Roads out into rural villages can sometimes be a tad bumpy and dusty. They do get rutted in the rainy seasons. Having said that roads in the Scottish Highlands are in a similar state!

Most Runways are looked after by the Safari lodges who use them for clients, deliveries etc. The Government do help out to keep the very rural villages connected. That being said the drive to some rural areas from the airstrips can be an hour or so. 

No where in Zambia, Botswana, Kenya and (I think Tanzania), is it legal to just buy a plane and take off. 

Pilots have to be registered with the appropriate air authorities.  All flights have to be properly logged by air traffic control for the appropriate areas. 

Take off and landing times have to be booked for the airstrips. A lone rogue John-boy cannot decide to go for a jaunt one day for instance. He would have to plan ahead and inform air traffic control.

The skies in the  African countries we have visited are safely monitored.

Im hopelessly not technical but Google Zambia air regulations for example. It's quite interesting.

John will not have enough hours solo flying time since he gained his US licence to make him the slightest bit legal. 

John cannot 'Do' an Indiana Jones! Or an 'Out of Africa' type trip!! Those days are long gone.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Not a silly question at all.  His original plan was to use it to go into the "bush" (where no missionary has gone before) carrying the materials he was printing.  He also thought it would be really useful to nip up to Burundi to visit the converts he made there back in 2012.  If they are still alive Eddie and Arnaud have probably forgotten about him by now.  And we know what happened to poor Arcade.

God will provide runways, aviation fuel, taxes, plane hangars, engineers, and his pilot's license because the one he got in the US is useless.

I am moved to poetry:

Oh, I see. Dr. Livingstone fantasies, I presume? (Although IIRC, Dr. Livingstone actually helped people, right? He was a medical missionary?)

@Grimalkin, the very THOUGHT of him even pretending to be Indiana Jones, my first childhood crush and hero, makes me ragey. Don't even try to pretend that you're 1/100th of 1% of my foxy archeologist pretend hubby who punches Nazis, John!

Spoiler

p8KXO.gif

Sigh.

And allllll the applause :clap: @Palimpsest!!!!

11 minutes ago, Marshmallow World said:

Oh, I see. Dr. Livingstone fantasies, I presume? (Although IIRC, Dr. Livingstone actually helped people, right? He was a medical missionary?)

Oh, absolutely Dr. Livingstone fantasies.

As a person who was a missionary kid and whose 3 generation medical missionary family has a weird (and indirect) connection with Dr. Livingstone, he really wasn't all that.  I may be able to expand on that weird (and indirect) connection without outing myself.  Let me see.

Livingstone was a Poisonwood John Shrader type who got in with slave traders.  It is not a pretty story if you dig down.

1 hour ago, sawasdee said:

My knowledge of modern missionaries is solely what I have learnt on this thread.

Is it normal for so many early converts to desert the pastor who enrolled them? John seems to only hold his 'converts' for a year or so....how long will Roderick stick around?

Modern missionaries from legit missions are less concerned with soul saving than they are in providing concrete assistance instead of preaching.  Think Maryknoll and established Protestant missions.  Do not think IFB (although some IFB are doing much better than Shrader.)

That said, evangelical "missionaries"   are running wild.  Various countries are clamping down on them but not enough ...

Shrader and his ilk complain a lot about how their Christian (from Christian to Christian) converts "revert" to scandalous practices without the constant presence of Big White Missionary Man with the direct line to White God!

It makes me want to vomit.

It seems like John might have misunderstood the missionary aviation thing. I'm guessing he has light bulbs going off about trying to get them to give him a plane, but I doubt that will work. This was the response from the guy who is starting it. 

For clarity...Mission Air Care was started by Bro Earl Malpass and his family back in 2001, with a focus on reaching the wonderful people of Alaska with the Gospel and helping missionaries who are isolated from the world due to the lack of roads to their villages. Bro Earl has been faithful to serve the Lord and has since moved the ministry to North Carolina. I am an independently supported Missionary with Baptist Missions to Forgotten Peoples, working with Mission Air Care to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Through a combined effort of Bro Earl, Bro Nate, and myself, we endeavor to Honor the Lord and establish, what we pray will become, a 1st Class Mission Aviation organization for IFB missionaries. So much to be shared about what God has done and the Vision He's given the three of us. Please shoot me a note, via Messenger, if you'd like to know more. We, more than anything else, covet your prayers.

This is the organization.

http://missionaircare.org/web/about-us

29 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It seems like John might have misunderstood the missionary aviation thing. I'm guessing he has light bulbs going off about trying to get them to give him a plane, but I doubt that will work. This was the response from the guy who is starting it. 

Bro. Shrader overstated yet again, methinks!

They covet his prayers.  They are not about to support him.

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Bro. Shrader overstated yet again, methinks!

They covet his prayers.  They are not about to support him.

That was my thoughts. John tagged said person on a public forum thinking surely they'd love to come help an amazing missionary like himself, and public peer pressured doesn't hurt, right? ... Instead of actually *asking* them if they'd be willing to help like a normal person. 

Sounds like Chris has no idea what the heck John's talking about. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived