IGNORED

Anna and the M Kids Pt 9: M5 Expected

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

When my daughter was pregnant with #2 she tested as a carrier for CF...her husband took blood tests and found out, thankfully, that he was not a carrier also. I know two kids with CF (sibs), I taught them in preschool, so I knew a tiny bit of what they went through. But now I know that there is a 50/50 chance that my sons and granddaughters are carriers of the gene...no one in my family or my husbands has it. I want to do genetic testing through 23andme, (so I can at least see if the gene is on my side or dh's and tell the relatives that they could be carriers) but I don't have that kind of money to blow

I did the 23andme test about five years ago, but several other friends and family members have done so since under the $99 deal.

I've found many distant relatives, three second cousins (two I knew of, vaguely, one I didn't ) and a definite third cousin (we match on the same chromosome, and same number of segments as my known first cousin, does). In trying to pin down just who/where the connection was, I came to realize this third cousin is an asshole. 

I'm undeterred, nonetheless.

BTW, I didn't test because of any health concerns, just fun!

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@HermioneSparrow for some reason it won't let me quote. It's not my parody, it's another user here whose name didn't copy over. She did a parody blog called under 1000 brain cells or something like that.

5 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

@HermioneSparrow for some reason it won't let me quote. It's not my parody, it's another user here whose name didn't copy over. She did a parody blog called under 1000 brain cells or something like that.

Oh.. I read about that blog. Very funny parody!

My maternal grandparents were both carriers of the gene for CF and they didn't know. They had 5 children together and 1 daughter had Cystic Fibrosis. Unfortunately, she passed at 2 years old. Since my mother is a carrier, I had to get tested when I was pregnant. I'm not a carrier. My brother has never been tested so I hope he isn't a carrier.

I've done all the major DNA tests including 23&Me. I highly recommend it. It's fascinating to learn about your origins through your DNA. Three cautions: don't test with 23&Me if the idea of finding out you might have certain genetic risk factors makes you really nervous, understand that you might get a close match you never knew existed, and be prepared for surprises, especially if you have a family legend about being part Native American (most people aren't - some get very upset).

50 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've done all the major DNA tests including 23&Me. I highly recommend it. It's fascinating to learn about your origins through your DNA. Three cautions: don't test with 23&Me if the idea of finding out you might have certain genetic risk factors makes you really nervous, understand that you might get a close match you never knew existed, and be prepared for surprises, especially if you have a family legend about being part Native American (most people aren't - some get very upset).

Over the holidays I did the ancestry DNA and so did my maternal grandmother. For the most part, we had the same regions. Great Britain, Ireland, Europe west, Iberian peninsula, Scandinavia. The percentages were different though. She had more Europe West then me while I had more Great Britain, Ireland, and Scandinavia.

What surprised us was that I had Finland/NW Russia and a trace amount of Caucasus. (due to my dad's side I think)

And she had a trace amount of Native American. That tickled her so much as there were family stories about being part Native American 

Used 23andMe. I found out I have West African and Iberian in me about 200 years back.Apparently some great greats  greats born between 1710 and 1800 ... not expected at all. Also British and Irish on mothers side which is very surprising as her side had been completely researched back to the 1600s and is supposed to completely Balkan and Eastern European with a a bit of French. Hmm.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

be prepared for surprises, especially if you have a family legend about being part Native American (most people aren't - some get very upset).

Wow. I didn't know this was a thing. I thought my mom was always a bit off kilter when she mentioned us having a sliver of Native American in our ancestry. 

That was probably because she also always said her grandfather was in Hitler's inner circle, when in reality we found his house deed in NJ from the late 1800's in my aunt's closet. (He did run Nazi meetings in the basement in NJ, however! Good thing he died way before my Jewish dad was in the picture.

I've done ancestry DNA - also did my mother.  Due to DNA and a giant guess (following someone else's work that wasn't documented) I kinda confirmed the parents/sister/brother of a 2x great grandfather.  (Maybe a generation or so off but I am in the right 'neighborhood')  And I've gotten some interesting information/records now from part of the fuzzy german side of the family (records from Germany and a couple of more generations back).  Which is cool.  I am 68% Western European (and 39.5%  of that is from my mother), 15% Irish (which I personally refer to as Celtic since their Ireland covers Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Scotland and the NW part of England), 15% Scandinavian and trace regions of England & Europe East.  England is probably from my mother since the percentage is roughly half of her England and the Europe East is from Dad since it doesn't show on Mom's.  Mom had trace regions of Finland and Iberian Peninsula.  Having done my mom helps one of my first cousins since she can more or less use Mom's percentages/ethnicity to back into what she got from her own dad.

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I had my dad, my husband, his mom and me do the ancestry test, it was pretty cool! Just gotta get my mom to do it to complete my thing, mine was interesting in that I was less genetically of some of my ancestors than you would think, although I have the physical traits that come with being scandinavian (but showed a much lower percentage than I would have thought, given our ancestral line).

I would love to do the Ancestory DNA testing.  I've always been told my background is all British Isles - Scottish, English and Irish, but it would be cool to find out there might be something else mixed up in there.

I think I am going to do it with my Mum as a Mother's Day gift for her.

I'm interested in the tests, just not really sold on their accuracy. Any suggestions for a lonely dinosaur to look into?

(And I swear to Raptor Jesus, if even one of you jokers mentions something about a Paleontology Department... :pb_lol:)

7 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm interested in the tests, just not really sold on their accuracy. Any suggestions for a lonely dinosaur to look into?

(And I swear to Raptor Jesus, if even one of you jokers mentions something about a Paleontology Department... :pb_lol:)

That's the thing for me too, I'm not sure just how accurate they are. I guess some inaccuracies is better than not knowing at all. 

(P.S You may have relatives buried near Drumheller, Alberta! :P ) 

It is my understanding that ancestry's DNA goes back, essentially, to the colonial era in the US as far as ethnicity matches.  Which is why native American DNA doesn't always show up.  I've seen a couple of YouTubes on this - and ancestry has a youtube channel.  There's also the whole issue of what DNA you actually inherit from your ancestors.  So if one is more dominate that another you might miss something from say 8 generations back.  

When I first did my DNA on ancestry - they showed something like 70% Scandinavian and 30% other things - no Western European.  Which did not fit with what I knew about my mother's grandparents. They eventually 'refined' their results.  I expected more Irish/English.  But I'm suspecting the ancestors that came from Ireland/England may have roots that go farther back and are part of the mystery additional 20% or so of that western Europe for me.  (because Scot surnames that end in 'son' apparently have DNA that go to elsewhere in Europe and don't match Celtic/Brit patterns)

I can't remember the sources now, but I want to echo that I've read that the ancestry/ethnicity results from 23andMe aren't always that accurate.

I submitted my DNA to have it done several years ago when the price was lower. I was mostly interested in my own, current genes and what it meant healthwise. It was cool to see some physical symptoms/traits/etc. I'd experienced play out in the genes. For example, I had tried several different SSRIs and had some bad side effects on all of them. I thought I was being oversensitive at the time, but turned out I carried a gene that made those particular SSRI side effects more likely. Also my dad has mild hemochromatosis (too much iron in his blood) and 23andMe told me I'm a carrier.

I feel like someone at InTouch just really doesn't like the Duggars.

If I'm not mistaken, it was an InTouch employee and her wife who provided the background info. They did that because of Michelle's robo calls about transgender people. I'm not sure if that's what really went down.

How accurate they are really depends on what you're expecting. If you're expecting an exact breakdown of how English, Irish, Scottish, German, Italian, and Swedish you are, you're going to be disappointed. It's impossible to fully distinguish between all the different European ethnicities. You might be mostly French and German, but the test will interpret a large chunk of that as British Isles. Or you could be 50% Irish, but the test will tell you you're only 15%. There's no way around that. There was so much migration in Europe from time immemorial that it's just impossible to draw really fine distinctions like that.

But let's say you're mostly Jewish. The test will accurately reflect that. It will accurately reflect if you're, say, 25% Native American. If you're mostly Eastern European, you will definitely see that come through in your results.

You won't get large percentages of anything that isn't actually in your genetic makeup (if the test tells you you're 15% African, you definitely have African ancestors). It also won't miss a large percentage (if Dad always told you that great-grandma Mabel was 100% Native American, and your test shows 0% Native American, great-grandma Mabel was definitely not 100% Native American).

I'll use French Canadians as an example, because I am one. They will very often show substantial British Isles and Southern European (Iberian/Italian) because of the proximity of those places to France and because of genetic mixing between those groups.

It's also very common for people of European descent to show very small percentages of Middle Eastern, West Asian, and African. Sometimes that's just 'noise', i.e. the test is interpreting little sections of DNA incorrectly. Sometimes it's real. It's hard to say without a paper trail. But again, it won't tell you you're 18% Jewish if you're not Jewish at all. It may tell you you're only 5% Irish when you're really 25%, because it's interpreting the other 20% as a different closely related European ethnicity.

It's very important that you test with a legit company, though. There's a company out there called AncestryByDNA, and from what I've heard it's not very accurate. Very easily confused with AncestryDNA which is legit.. 

2 hours ago, SamiKatz said:

I would love to do the Ancestory DNA testing.  I've always been told my background is all British Isles - Scottish, English and Irish, but it would be cool to find out there might be something else mixed up in there.

I think I am going to do it with my Mum as a Mother's Day gift for her.

I've been itching to do this as well (& from a historical standpoint it is a very cool and interesting thing to research), but... maybe this is just the skeptic in me, but I can't help but wonder if it's a weird, convoluted way for The Government to keep more of an eye on people than what already is.

And no, I'm not a crackpot conspiracy nutjob, but I sometimes think that some conspiracy theories have a wee bit of a grain of truth in it (somewhere). But again, what do I know?   :: shrugs ::

The DNA thing is so interesting.  I submitted a sample to ancestry 2 months ago.  Should be a getting a result any time now.  When my parents did it in the fall I thought the results would be boring.  We're Jews who emigrated from the Ukraine so I figured they would both be nearly 100% jewish.  My mom's came back 83% jewish with 17% trace regions.  5% is Iberian peninsula.  Mom was disappointed because she always prided herself on being 'pure'.  I told her that the iberian peninsula dna could be sephardic so she may be more jewish than the results indicate, though to me 83% is pretty definitive.  Now dad can lord it over her that he's more jewish than her since his result is 93%.  Also I think his 2% british dna explains my love for tea.:my_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I've been itching to do this as well (& from a historical standpoint it is a very cool and interesting thing to research), but... maybe this is just the skeptic in me, but I can't help but wonder if it's a weird, convoluted way for The Government to keep more of an eye on people than what already is.

And no, I'm not a crackpot conspiracy nutjob, but I sometimes think that some conspiracy theories have a wee bit of a grain of truth in it (somewhere). But again, what do I know?   :: shrugs ::

I think we are already screwed as far as Big Government is always watching us is concerned.

There is no privacy anymore at all.

I always wondered if the 23 and me worked.  My brother and I both did AncestryDNA and the only surprise was Iberian. But that could be from the one who abandoned his family (we've never done any research on him because what he did and was a horrible person also the person my great-grandmother married after him was the best person anyone in our family has ever known ) .  I've never found anyone on ancestry that's from that area in our family except for when Ancestry.com says there was like a thousand years ago. The one part I did like was the DNA has ended up confirming some relatives that we found through ancestry.com. Like to a  couple of my 4times great-grandfather on my mom's side. I've always wondered how accurate it was. Its nice to have another confirmation.

9 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I always wondered if the 23 and me worked.  My brother and I both did AncestryDNA and the only surprise was Iberian.

How similar were yours and your brother's results? My sister did an Ancestry.com test, so I don't know if it would be worth it for me to do one as well. She didn't really have any surprises. The Native American ancestry my dad's side pretended to have was apparently a myth, but I guess that's par for the course. The Jewish ancestry my mom's side thought they might have didn't show up either. Her results were all European except a chance of a tiny amount of Middle Eastern ancestry (which we'd never heard a word of from anyone). I always think about doing one of these tests but it would probably be more interesting to do it for my daughter, since she is multiracial and not much is known about her paternal grandfather's ancestry. He's African American but her dad claims he's part Chinese (and they do have Asian-looking eyes), but you never know. He claims a lot of questionable things as facts.

My dad is kanaka maoli aka Native Hawai'ian/Polynesian. We're related to Tongans Tahitians and Samoans. Thanks to all the DNA testing all the theories about where the original Polynesians came from are being tested and apparently were closely related to indigenous southeast Asian hill tribes (not east Asian at all though).

My mom is straight Irish by way of Canada. Being mixed race had its ups and downs the worst is when people decide I'm not ___ enough usually Asian enough because since there's so many Japanese and Koreans in Hawai'i that natives are part Asian. It also sucks being compared to a haole (white person) who claims a small percentage Native like I'm am impostor to my own people

I'm not caught up, so I apologize if someone's already put this one out there, but my vote for M5 is... Madison (Ashley ;)).  :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

It is my understanding that ancestry's DNA goes back, essentially, to the colonial era in the US as far as ethnicity matches.  Which is why native American DNA doesn't always show up.  I've seen a couple of YouTubes on this - and ancestry has a youtube channel.  There's also the whole issue of what DNA you actually inherit from your ancestors.  So if one is more dominate that another you might miss something from say 8 generations back.  

When I first did my DNA on ancestry - they showed something like 70% Scandinavian and 30% other things - no Western European.  Which did not fit with what I knew about my mother's grandparents. They eventually 'refined' their results.  I expected more Irish/English.  But I'm suspecting the ancestors that came from Ireland/England may have roots that go farther back and are part of the mystery additional 20% or so of that western Europe for me.  (because Scot surnames that end in 'son' apparently have DNA that go to elsewhere in Europe and don't match Celtic/Brit patterns)

Well, and also, your family tree percentages of this and that will be different than your DNA ones, but you shouldn't have any thing in your DNA that isn't in your tree somewhere (albeit undiscovered stuff). Since it's like traits, some get passed on and some don't, so you don't end up with all the same stuff that your parents have... you get pieces.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived