IGNORED

Anna and the M Kids Pt 9: M5 Expected

samurai_sarah

My 23&Me results are pretty accurate as far as I know. I mainly tested because there were family stories about my great-great-grandmother Julia having some deep dark secret, which I assumed to be African ancestry. My grandmother always insisted that even though Julia had a darker complexion it was because she was part Native American. I know she had at least two sons when she married my great-great grandfather, and she had never been married. I have photos of the sons that show they may have been bi-racial. 
My results show no Native American or African DNA. A small amount of Iberian, and I share characteristics with Sephardic Jews. A bit of German, which makes sense because my grandfather's family has been traced as coming from Prussia in the late 1700s (my maiden name is distinctly German & extremely uncommon and would definitely dox me, lol). The rest is Irish & English, which also makes sense. The reasoning is that some of my ancestors were Jews in Iberia, fled to England or Ireland, and assimilated. 
I have a larger than usual percentage of Neanderthal DNA. I also don't have any scary genes health-wise.
So much for the family stories! I think Granny Julia may have shacked up with a Native American or an African American in her youth, & that's why her sons were dark skinned. She was probably just Black Irish.
I want my kids to test, because their dad's great-grandma was said to be full-blooded Creek from Ohio.

(I did this from memory, because I can't log in to the 23&Me site for some reason. I have it all saved on my work computer, though.)

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Interesting. Where did "Alice" originally post the story? Were they a yuku member, or was it another forum? I wonder who Alice is and why they decided to post the story online. 

This is a direct link to the quote from "Alice": http://www.ibiblio.org/bascha/blog/2006/03/21/gigantic-family-day-on-tlc/#comment-36114

13 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I had never read that thread. Wow. So interesting that the defenders of the Duggars completely missed the point of the molestation revelation and went off on the "you shouldnt tell us how many kids we should have" tangent. Sigh.

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about the Oprah involvement. Before I only read copied and pasted bits on this forum of the main post, not the replies Alice made.

3 hours ago, Jaedzia said:

I wonder if this is at all linked to what I read in a scientific journal. I hope I can explain it well. Each person is 50% of their mother and 50% of their father. What most people do not realize is that we are not always 25% of each grandparent. The reason is because your mother and father can not pass on both your grandma and grandfather DNA. They pass on one or the other for each gene so you can have more of one grandparent in you than the other from that side of your family. Its possible to have nothing at all from your maternal grandfather or paternal grandparents if you are a woman. Its possible for you have nothing from your maternal grandfather or your paternal grandmother if you are a male. Now if your Grandma was 100% German it would be strange that you had nothing at all from her but not impossible. If this Grandma was your mother's mother then you should have at least the mitochondrial dna from her. The mitochondrial dna and the father dna(I cant remember the fancy scientific term and only sons have it), are not part of what I stated above. 

Now I may be totally off base here and someone who understands this better can correct me if I am. Maybe someone explain it better, too. lol :) 

True, but like you said it would be pretty odd if you had nothing from your grandmother.

In my case my dad is 100% Dutch and I got 0% Dutch on the DNA test. I look exactly like my dad and he looks like his dad, so I doubt mistaken paternity is the case!

I did get a kick out of telling my grandmother that I'm apparently not Dutch at all. Her Dutch ancestry is really important to her and she's always made a big deal about how Dutch I look. She was outraged by what the test said. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Holy crap, 2007- I didn't realize the information had been out there for that long, just not believed. It's so crazy that so many people knew (Oprah crew, Jim boob church members, Arkansas police department) and they all kept it so hush hush that even when somebody did talk- they were shot down as "how dare you talk that way about this godly family". Even here on fJ in 2013, the sentiment was "how awful that untrue rumor got spread about josh when he was just a kid". And now we all know he was basically a disgusting person that took advantage of a five year old. 

9 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

@ViolaSebastian Lol at the phone name. Remember the infamous "Joshy Girl" bag Anna had in an early episode. Just crazy. 

Oh yeah...and maybe I'm just projecting, but Josh would definitely be listed in my phone under "A" for "Asshole Husband."

tumblr_onckynidjp1us99j5o1_540.jpg

On 3/18/2017 at 9:59 AM, coffeebean7 said:

Did she say when she's due?

I don't know if anyone else has speculated. Since she already knows the gender then baby is probably due around a similar time as Jill or before. 

23 hours ago, Galbin said:

Oh wow, so then you actually sound Irish too! I watched "Dear Zachary" a few months back and assumed that the featured lawyer was Irish. But then others on the film also sounded Irish. I was mighty confused since I figured they all couldn't be first generation Irish. Then I googled and discovered that the Newfoundland accent is an Irish accent.  No wonder they all sounded like they hailed from my street!  

Dear Zachary is so heart breaking. Those poor grandparents. 

22 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Over on Tumblr, it came up that Anna has Josh saved in her contacts as "My Joshy Duggar." Ya'll are welcome for this knowledge. ;)

tumblr_onbzccz67f1uh0b88o2_1280.png

Gross.  This is creepily childish and weird.  

And the snarky person in me can't help but wonder if the reason his last name is listed is because she has another Joshy and the last name is needed so she doesn't confuse them. (serious sarcasm here-I know she doesn't have another Joshy).  

1 hour ago, send*the*ferrets said:

Holy crap, 2007- I didn't realize the information had been out there for that long, just not believed. It's so crazy that so many people knew (Oprah crew, Jim boob church members, Arkansas police department) and they all kept it so hush hush that even when somebody did talk- they were shot down as "how dare you talk that way about this godly family". Even here on fJ in 2013, the sentiment was "how awful that untrue rumor got spread about josh when he was just a kid". And now we all know he was basically a disgusting person that took advantage of a five year old. 

To be fair, the people at Oprah did what should have been done - they contacted the police, handed over the letter, and shut up about it. They had no way of knowing whether the allegations were true or what was uncovered during the subsequent investigation. So speaking out would have been a very bad (and possibly litigious) move. And it would have been really damaging and unfair to publicly label Josh as a sexual predator if it turned out the allegations were lies.

Same with the Arkansas Police Departments involved with the actual investigations. I think it's possible they could have opened themselves up to legal action by the Duggars had they unlawfully released any information - especially because minors were involved. They didn't do anything wrong by complying with the FOIA request though.

I just kind of wish there had been a way to protect the identities of the two victims who have come forward (Jill and Jessa.) They didn't really have much of a choice because the reports made it clear that some victims were related to Josh. I dislike them and their beliefs, but I also don't think anyone should be outed as a victim before they feel ready to reveal it themselves (if they want to reveal it at all.) It's one of the reasons I've liked visiting FJ so much since this news broke - Admins have been very clear that the identities of the unnamed victims shouldn't be speculated on because they deserve whatever privacy they feel is appropriate.

23 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but Oman is on the southeastern edge of the Arabian peninsula, not the north coast of Africa. 

The "Cherokee princess" thing drives me up a wall. And it's always a Cherokee princess or a Comanche chieftain--no one is ever the descendant of some Shoshone schlub. 

The "Cherokee princess" stories always seem to come from white people who know nothing about native culture and just want to sound "exotic" to people. I find it really condescending.

It bothers me most because its usually used as a way to validate some racist or classist or ignorant belief. Like recently when I commented on a post ranting against immigration to say if the reason they're against immigration is only because its illegal then I'd hope they're against the continues illegal occupation of Hawai'i by Americans and should want them all to have to leave. They responded no because Americans being in Hawai'i is actually good for us and they have a friend who is "Hawai'ian" and believes that so it's true. 

It always seems to be a person who has all the benefits of white privilege to the extent they want to speak for other groups too. It's ridiculous becaude even if someone is 100% some group they don't speak for the entire community let alone someone with only minute genetic non cultural ties.

It also makes it even harder to claim identity as a biracial person. It's frustrating being half Polynesian but being told I don't count or don't look ___ enough or being dismissed in any other way where it sounds like I'm no different than one of the people who claims to be 1/64 Cherokee princess.

4 hours ago, Jaedzia said:

I wonder if this is at all linked to what I read in a scientific journal. I hope I can explain it well. Each person is 50% of their mother and 50% of their father. What most people do not realize is that we are not always 25% of each grandparent. The reason is because your mother and father can not pass on both your grandma and grandfather DNA. They pass on one or the other for each gene so you can have more of one grandparent in you than the other from that side of your family. Its possible to have nothing at all from your maternal grandfather or paternal grandparents if you are a woman. Its possible for you have nothing from your maternal grandfather or your paternal grandmother if you are a male. Now if your Grandma was 100% German it would be strange that you had nothing at all from her but not impossible. If this Grandma was your mother's mother then you should have at least the mitochondrial dna from her. The mitochondrial dna and the father dna(I cant remember the fancy scientific term and only sons have it), are not part of what I stated above. 

Now I may be totally off base here and someone who understands this better can correct me if I am. Maybe someone explain it better, too. lol  

I think you did a great job explaining it. 

Thank you! I canNOT get people to grasp that my sister and I, fully, definitely, sisters, don't carry the exact same profile- hello, we aren't identical twins! 

I'm slightly more Italian, while she's slightly more Irish. I also have a much higher Neanderthal percentage than she and most of my 1,000 plus DNA relatives.

Who'd have thought?

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Oh yeah...and maybe I'm just projecting, but Josh would definitely be listed in my phone under "A" for "Asshole Husband."

tumblr_onckynidjp1us99j5o1_540.jpg

EW EW EW EWWWWW

5 hours ago, Jaedzia said:

Now I may be totally off base here and someone who understands this better can correct me if I am. Maybe someone explain it better, too. lol :) 

Yes! This is what I was trying to say earlier- it's entirely possible that your great great great grandma was Irish and you have Zero Irish DNA. Genetics is very interesting, and not as linear as you would expect. Two blue eyed people always have blue eyed children- except for when they don't ;) not everything is a perfect Punnett Square.

When I was pissed at my husband...I changed his name in my phone to Assmunch.

Interesting. Where did "Alice" originally post the story? Were they a yuku member, or was it another forum? I wonder who Alice is and why they decided to post the story online. 
@ViolaSebastian Lol at the phone name. Remember the infamous "Joshy Girl" bag Anna had in an early episode. Just crazy. 

Think that means she had matching Joshy panties too? 🤢🤢🤢

With all the "Joshy" stuff, it makes me wonder if she calls him that to his face. I detest Josh, but that's a terrible nickname. :hand: Also the bag makes me think of this little ditty...

42 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

With all the "Joshy" stuff, it makes me wonder if she calls him that to his face. I detest Josh, but that's a terrible nickname. :hand: Also the bag makes me think of this little ditty...

Geez, if that song is what inspired Anna to give herself the nickname, "Joshy Girl," that would be very telling and sad.

After reading the article that was previously posted pointing out that we don't have proof that Josh is a predator, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Until now. After reading Alice's comments, I suddenly have a sinking feeling the worst of Josh is still to be seen. Here is the link in case anyone missed it. There is no way that the level of dysfunction that the Duggars have can simply fade away. The big implosion is still coming. 

http://fiddlrts.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-duggars-how-fundamentalisms.html?m=1

9 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

I think you did a great job explaining it. 

Thank you! I canNOT get people to grasp that my sister and I, fully, definitely, sisters, don't carry the exact same profile- hello, we aren't identical twins! 

I'm slightly more Italian, while she's slightly more Irish. I also have a much higher Neanderthal percentage than she and most of my 1,000 plus DNA relatives.

Who'd have thought?

Which test did you have done again?  I would have liked to know how much neanderthal dna I have but I did the Ancestry test and I don't think they provide that info.  If it's 23andme I'll have to do that one too.  Not that it's important but it would be fun to find out.

Can I join in? I had my dog's DNA done. Actually, I want to be 1/64  Cherokee princess, but since I was born in England, had English parents, grand parents and great grandparents, I'm probably out of luck.

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I had my dog's DNA done. Actually, I want to be 1/64  Cherokee

I am laughing, as I originally read this as I want to be 1/64 Chihuahua....

What did your dog's DNA come up with?  What you expected?

On 3/24/2017 at 4:19 PM, Pasta said:

I thought she only referred to him as Joshua?  Why would he be My Joshy in her phone but full name out loud? 

Her other four children have "M" names.

The Cherokee princess thing makes me smile. My husband and children have a Cherokee ancestor but none of them walk around saying she was a princess. She was my husband's great-great-great grandmother according to my mother-n-law but than again my MNL is a known liar.  I'm surprised that she doesnt say she was a princess! 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived