IGNORED

Dillards 24 - Smug Bible Tweets and Maneaters (Jill/Derick/Israel/Baby Dillard)

choralcrusader8613

23 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

The writing in GWTW was good, but the Scarlett character and the whitewashing just killed it for me. I do wonder what a book featuring that world from Mammy's perspective or with Mammy as the protagonist would have been like? 

There was another that was approved by Mitchell's estate called Ruth & was released in 2014.I guess it's more of a prequel though. Unlike The Wind Done Gone which didn't have approval.http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2014/10/12/ruths-journey-donald-mccaig-gone-with-the-wind-sequels/16659543/

Although there is another sequel to GWTW-not approved- other then Scarlett that was actually good.... like really good with actually character development that you could actually see happening unlike Scarlett. Currently can't remember the name but thanks to copy right laws it can be published overseas in Australia. 

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, princessmahina said:

I find it so unbelievably incredible that there are people out there like that. It's not something I could ever understand, I guess.

The running joke between the two of them is that hanging the Confederate flag is like bragging about being 0-1 :) it's certainly not my cup of tea, quite frankly it squicks me out, but every person has to make their own choices.

1 hour ago, Lizzybet said:

She also said she misses Jubilee. I don't know if Jill has some cognitive disability, or what's going on with her, but to me, you can only miss who/what was once a presence in your life.

This, in my IMO, isn't [only] because she's poorly educated, but because she just can't grasp basic concepts. Why? I don't know.

See, I could even understand her saying she misses Jubilee a little more than missing Derick's dad. Because of their beliefs she probably felt like she "knew" her when she was midwifing (such as it was) and listening to the heartbeat.

It's still a bizarre way to put it though, and as for Derick's dad... I forget the timeline, would she have even known Derick himself 9 years ago?? I don't think she did? My hubby's dad died before we got together, and while I wish I'd met him, I certainly don't miss him. I agree that she just doesn't seem to understand certain things, and it definitely seems to go beyond a poor education and being so sheltered. She just doesn't seem to change or grow up.

I really do not like Derick, but I kind of feel sorry for him in a way. Since he couldn't properly get to know her before marriage, he wouldn't have had much of a chance to figure all this out. No wonder he seems unhappy. 

Oh, and as for PukeyDerick in the promos (grosssss)... Years ago I had a weird illness. It messed with my whole system, and made me nauseous but not in a stomach-churny way. I used to call it...."feeling gaggy."

I'm kind of ashamed to have been using a Duggarism, lol. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, eleanora3 said:

Jeremy and Jinger look very put together in that pic

They're the two most normal looking ones in the photo, although Jinger was caught with a weird expression.  They probably were there for the actual photo and some of the others were heavily photoshopped or something.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Shadoewolf said:

Not only is Jingers dress above the knee but wow the heels on those boots!! All I can say is good for her!

I'm totally looking forward to seeing her style evolve ... she'll hopefully feel more freedom now to dress how she really wants, and could be influenced by his mother/sister to some degree -- in other words, there's no pressure coming from his family to dress so rigidly, and probably not from the large San Antonio church that spawned the Laredo church either ... so this could be fun.  Her outfit is awesome and cute.

14 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

I live on the Mason Dixon line, literally. It's strange bc the cultural divide between north and south is so cut-and-dry. For example, it is very rare to see a confederate flag north of the M&D in PA. However, as soon as you cross the line into Maryland you see them everywhere with the "heritage not hate" mentality. I'm from the "north" and when I moved 15 miles into the "south", it was crazy how quickly mentalities and ways of life change. Not saying anything bad about either side, but the divide is still pretty apparent and worth commenting on, IMO. 

I think this still depends on where you live. I'm from Tennessee, currently live in rural Upstate New York, and I see Confederate flags frequently around here. Maybe slightly less than Tennessee, but not a whole lot less.

5 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I have never seen a confederate flag in Minnesota.   Never!!   But then, we are about as "northern" as you can get.  (I do see a  lot of Norwegian flags. Lol)

I wish I could say the same, but it was Michele Bachmann territory at the time. Sigh.

6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Far Eastern Northern CA- Western North Nevada-

Man, those folks must hate living in CA at all-

They call the 51st "state" Jefferson (not the real name of the county at all) O can only assume after Jefferson Davis. And erected homemade signs for entering and exiting the "state".

5 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

This is quite scary.

It's for sure scary. I accidentally stopped for gas there when coming back from camping. I felt so awkward parked behind a truck with a huge confederate flag attached to it (not a decal an actual flag) as the camo clad driver stared us down. I made my husband stay in the car (his English is not fantastic) and told my son to only speak English until we got back on the interstate. 

Okay, I'm probably going to be down checked for this, so be it.

1)its for Thomas Jefferson.

2)my husband wants to move there or Nevada because he is tired of his and his friends' votes being canceled out by L.A. and San Francisco. 

Me, I want to move to the other LA-because I'm tired of food prices raising because of some ahem person's "feel good" but in no way, practical regulations. What most of these folks don't seem to realize is that these foolish costly regulations hurt the low-income folks the most-my DD and eldest son are low income so yes, I do know for a fact!

Lighter note-my husband owes me-we lived with his crazy ass family for 9! Years-his turn to live with mine. At least there won't be a psycho BIL endangering his children while the rest of the family "poo-poos" the fact! He'll just get taken hunting and fed good food-

4 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

She also said she misses Jubilee. I don't know if Jill has some cognitive disability, or what's going on with her, but to me, you can only miss who/what was once a presence in your life.

This, in my IMO, isn't [only] because she's poorly educated, but because she just can't grasp basic concepts. Why? I don't know.

Jubilee was a presence in her life, she heard her heartbeat and was emotionally tied to her as a sistermom/midwife. Perfectly legit to miss her. I still miss my miscarriage which was 'only' 4w3d but I felt it and was connected to it. It doesn't have to be alive.  

21 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

2)my husband wants to move there or Nevada because he is tired of his and his friends' votes being canceled out by L.A. and San Francisco. 

Me, I want to move to the other LA-because I'm tired of food prices raising because of some ahem person's "feel good" but in no way, practical regulations. What most of these folks don't seem to realize is that these foolish costly regulations hurt the low-income folks the most-my DD and eldest son are low income so yes, I do know for a fact!

Lighter note-my husband owes me-we lived with his crazy ass family for 9! Years-his turn to live with mine. At least there won't be a psycho BIL endangering his children while the rest of the family "poo-poos" the fact! He'll just get taken hunting and fed good food-

Upchecked you just to counteract a downcheck! ;-)

Derick's dad, may he rest in peace, was a good-looking man -- almost a Jeff Daniels double.

So where did Derick get his long, angular face*?  Is he by chance adopted?

~~~~~

* I mean no shade by "long, angular face." That's what he has.  I thought he was nice-looking, in a long, angular way, before his unfortunate surgery.  He still isn't bad-looking.

41 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

No idea what it would be like to live there. If you feel fine there and like it thats all that matters. It was just super intimidating for some random people stopping for gas. I actually grew up in Alabama and am not unfamilar with camo and confederate flags and the like. It was just a bit surreal to see it in Cali. I'm with you though I'd choose Louisiana over Los Angeles. 

4 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

Jubilee is different in my opinion. That was her sister, and although she never met her, she was a part of her life for some time. 

2 hours ago, Jiraffe said:

It's still a bizarre way to put it though, and as for Derick's dad... I forget the timeline, would she have even known Derick himself 9 years ago?? I don't think she did? My hubby's dad died before we got together, and while I wish I'd met him, I certainly don't miss him. I agree that she just doesn't seem to understand certain things, and it definitely seems to go beyond a poor education and being so sheltered. She just doesn't seem to change or grow up.

Nope, she didn't know Derrick in 2008, she was 16 and busy being a sister mom.  I don't think they got to know each other before he was in Nepal and became JB's prayer partner. Isn't that what that proposal song is about? That they met when they were living on different sides of the world but grey up fairly close. 

I felt the comment was weird but wasn't sure why. I felt Deanna's (not sure if I spelled that correctly) was more appropriate. To me it felt like Jill was trying to make it about her. I've never lost a parent but I'm sure the grief is unimaginable and I would never try to take away from that. Now she probably didn't mean it that way but that's how it felt to me and it made me feel odd. Also sad for Derick, it's his dad, it's his grief; Jill has no idea.

13 hours ago, Timetostoplurking said:

I have never seen a confederate flag in Minnesota.   Never!!   But then, we are about as "northern" as you can get.  (I do see a  lot of Norwegian flags. Lol)

We must be from different parts of Minnesota because I've seen them. People call it the "rebel flag" because they're morons, but it's there. 

Jill's comment doesn't really fit the tone of Derick's post. Maybe when she said she misses him she meant she wishes she could have met him? Perhaps Derrick talks about him a lot so she sort of feels like she knew him. I sometimes feel that way about my husband's grandma who died right before we met. She helped raise him so I've heard many many stories about her and sometimes forget that I never did meet her.

We have confederate flags here in WI. You can usually spot the type who would fly one- they drive a big smelly truck, wear camo everywhere, listen to country music, and think they are hicks because they leave the city every so often to go hunting or camping. 

@DaniLouisiana and @LaPeleona, I remember a show on the History Channel within the last ten years called How the States Got Their Shapes that discussed the almost state of Jefferson. It was made up of some counties in Southern Oregon and Northern California that thought their states were too liberal, and that the large population areas didn't represent them. When I moved to Oregon, I drove through the area of Jefferson and saw the  signs, which were interesting. 

For any history geeks like me who want to go down the rabbit hole, here's the link to the Wikipedia article. There was a big push for Jefferson to become a state, which was derailed partly by World War 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)

Here's the shorter, historical part. If you click on the link, it will also discuss more current interest in the State of Jefferson.

In October 1941, the mayor of Port Orford, Oregon, Gilbert Gable, said that the Oregon counties of Curry, Josephine, Jackson, and Klamath should join with the Californiacounties of Del Norte, Siskiyou, and Modoc to form a new state, later named Jefferson.[6]

On November 27, 1941, a group of young men gained national media attention when, brandishing hunting rifles for dramatic effect, they stopped traffic on U.S. Route 99 south of Yreka, the county seat of Siskiyou County, and handed out copies of a Proclamation of Independence, stating that the state of Jefferson was in "patriotic rebellion against the States of California and Oregon" and would continue to "secede every Thursday until further notice."[7]

The state split movement ended quickly, though not before Del Norte County District Attorney John Leon Childs (1863-1953) of Crescent City was inaugurated as the governor of the State of Jefferson on December 4, 1941.[8] The first blow was the death of Mayor Gable on December 2, followed by the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7. Those in favor of splitting the state focused their efforts on the war effort, which crippled the movement. Coincidentally, the "state of Jefferson" was one of the few places in the continental USA to be the subject of an attack during World War II, when Japanese pilot Nobuo Fujita dropped bombs on the Oregon Coast near Brookings on September 9, 1942.[9] 

12 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

I live in PA and the middle (which we call pennsyltucky) is like confederate flags galore. So Im assuming it's just more of a rural thing! I remember learning from my teacher who I think grew up in middle of no-where PA told us how they get some day off in Jan/Feb to go hunt and that's when me and my peers were like ohh this isn't just a southern thing...

When I lived in (South Central) PA, there were specific days off for hunting: first day of deer season was  either an actual day off, or every teacher knew not to have any tests that day, because half the students wouldn't be there.. and maybe muzzle and bow season?? Same with fishing season.

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

Jill's comment doesn't really fit the tone of Derick's post. Maybe when she said she misses him she meant she wishes she could have met him? Perhaps Derrick talks about him a lot so she sort of feels like she knew him. I sometimes feel that way about my husband's grandma who died right before we met. She helped raise him so I've heard many many stories about her and sometimes forget that I never did meet her.

Similar story- my grandma died about 6 months before I met my husband and I was super close with her. Between me talking about her all the time and my family sharing stories, and her old blanket being in our house, it's actually kind of comforting when he refers to her in a way that indicates that he knew her because I so badly wish they had met. But honestly, I don't think that's what Jill was getting at.

Also- I've seen the show How the States got their shapes and it really is so interesting! If anyone has the time, they should try to find episodes online. 

1 minute ago, SilverBeach said:

@DaniLouisiana, they must not know that TJ had an entire black family with Sally Hemmings, and his children were also his slaves.

I actually read that in First Daughter which is fiction based upon Thomas Jefferson and his daughter Patsy. It was actually quite fascinating and sad for Sally. Slavery had to be rough. 

I'm surprised the feds haven't come down on this fifty-first state stuff. Heaven forbid if a group of black nationalists did such a thing. And there are blacks who dont want or believe in integration.

2 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I actually read that in First Daughter which is fiction based upon Thomas Jefferson and his daughter Patsy. It was actually quite fascinating and sad for Sally. Slavery had to be rough. 

DNA testing confirmed TJs paternity of SHs children, in 1998. I read a biography of SH in 1980 disclosing her intimate relationship with TJ. She even gave up freedom in France and returned to slavery in the US to be with him.

Jefferson's biographers whitewashed his life.

13 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

DNA testing confirmed TJs paternity of SHs children, in 1998. I read a biography of SH in 1980 disclosing her intimate relationship with TJ. She even gave up freedom in France and returned to slavery in the US to be with him.

Jefferson's biographers whitewashed his life.

Yep, and Jefferson's descendants through Hemmings can now be buried at Monticello (which is reserved only for people who can prove to be descendants of Jefferson) if they wish. It was a big deal about fifteen years ago and I actually went to school with two sisters who were descendants of SH and TJ and their mother was instrumental in pushing for this. 

I recall reading that Hemmings was so light-skinned (she was actually Mary Jefferson's half-sister right?) that in Europe she was mistaken for Sicilian. I wonder how her children with Jefferson must have looked and if there were comments about it. I think it's just another example of how strange attitudes towards race were/are.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived