IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

If I knew how to private message I would, Singsingsing but I don't.  

I think it was you that posted the Aries reading with cross out?  

Who ever it was- taking time to read all these posts and reply certainly shows mental energy! 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fascinated said:

Just popping in to say I just read this whole thread and I'm quite exhausted!  My takeaway, strangely perhaps, is that I really wish that mothers/grandmothers/aunts or whoever, would stop pestering their female relatives about 'finding someone'. Holy shit, it is so annoying.  What they think they will gain from this behaviour I simply cannot fathom.

As this thread is purportedly about Jana, after reading here I can say...nothing.  We know nothing really. But she seems nice and kind. I hope she is happy, or finds happiness if not. That's all I've got after these couple of hours. 

May babies rule. (Not the point but thought you should know.)

I'm with you on the May babies.. we are the bestest.

DD1(19) has just introduced  her first boyfriend to the family.. they have known each other for over a year  but have just started seeing each other. The number of older family and friends who are asking me when I hope to be a grandmother are rather upset at my reply..." In another 8-10 years" .

I can barely cope with being the mother of an adult let alone being a grandmother.

50 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Sure, but I think the question is why the moment you emerge from the birth canal (or surgical incision) is the magic moment. You already existed as a living entity before that, and when you're born you're still attached to your mother via the umbilical cord for at least a little while.

ideally, it is when the baby first draws breath...in my generation (baby boomers), the mothers were almost always knocked out for hospital births, so we were never certain that the time on the birth certificate was indeed when the kid was born

3 hours ago, goldengrove said:

the exact time of birth helps to determine the ascendant, or rising sign

Sadly I couldn't tell the time when I was born. And my UK birth certificate doesn't list that detail. Nor does DD1's who was born in 1998. Since I was drugged up, I have only the barest memory of the time of her birth.

As both DD2's and DS's BC show the time of birth in Quebec, they would be able to know the rising sign while DD1 would have a choice of two.

2 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Sadly I couldn't tell the time when I was born. And my UK birth certificate doesn't list that detail. Nor does DD1's who was born in 1998. Since I was drugged up, I have only the barest memory of the time of her birth.

As both DD2's and DS's BC show the time of birth in Quebec, they would be able to know the rising sign while DD1 would have a choice of two.

it is sad when you don't know, but it isn't the end of the world :) there is still a lot to be learned without having a birth time...

even knowing just which part of the day a person was born in helps, is there anyone you could ask?  the placement of the luminaries and the planets will be the same, so you will still have something to read, but it can't be fine tuned because of the absence of an accurate ascendant...placement of the planets in the houses is also something you won't know for sure, because the cusps of all of the houses depends on the degree of the ascendant

As far as school cut-off date and birthdays go, the cut-off date was October 15 when I started school. With a September birthday, I was always one of the youngest kids in my class, but I did fine academically. Socially...not so great.

In high school, my "boyfriends" (not ever serious) were in the grade behind mine and many of my friends were, too. It bothered me a little until I realized that we were closer in age than I was with most of the people in my grade.

I was really glad when my kids were born in months that mean they are either older than most of the kids in their grade or in the middle, age-wise. Being older doesn't automatically make for a better academic or social experience, of course, but being almost a year younger than some of my classmates sometimes felt really weird.

School cut offs are a bit different here because of when our school year runs. In my state, you can start school if you turn 5 before 31 July, and you must commence by your 6th birthday. I'm also a September baby, but I'm in peak birthday season (Aug to Nov there's always a tonne of brithdays!) and wasn't the oldest or the youngest by any stretch.

The only time being a September baby was a downside was when I did Little Athletics as a child. The cut off was September 30th, so I was always the youngest. It really sucked competing against girls who were often almost a year older than me. It's also hard to make friends when everyone is a year above you at school. We start high school in the 7th grade at around 12/13 years old, so when all these girls are in high school and "growing up" quicker, it sucked even more. I was really glad when Mum said I didn't have to go anymore.

As for my time of birth, I couldn't possibly forget that. Dad comes and wakes me up every year at the exact time I was born just to remind me how early and how much of a hurry I was in! :my_biggrin: Let's just say it was a rude awakening and a rush to the hospital because I was done cooking and I was coming out.

7 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Sure, but I think the question is why the moment you emerge from the birth canal (or surgical incision) is the magic moment. You already existed as a living entity before that, and when you're born you're still attached to your mother via the umbilical cord for at least a little while.

Yes, exactly. For example, I put in my daughter's birth data, and the reading actually said: sun in X, but had she been born 2 hours 49 minutes later, it would be Y. So presumably quite a different reading. Really? Exactly HOW can the position of some distant stars and planets have an effect on someone's personality? I'm not saying it couldn't, but until I see some evidence or even hear a plausible explanation, I'm not buying it.

I think astrology is mainly harmless, the same way religion is. They answer to the same basic need of humans to make sense of themselves and the universe, to give expression to things like thoughts and feelings so they can be shared. Kind of like fairytales, myths, poetry…  Nothing wrong with that. It only becomes a problem when one explanation is elevated as the One Absolute Truth and taken to literal extremes. Like what the Duggars and their ilk do.

(Apologies if I express myself badly, am not a native speaker.)

37 minutes ago, Blu'sClues said:

I didn't realise people over the age of 8 actually believed in star signs...is this common in America? :pb_lol:

starsign.jpg

It's common everywhere. 

15 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

It's common everywhere. 

I wouldn't call it common, in America or elsewhere. I don't mean to just snark and I respect everyone's opinions, but come on! This stuff is about as scientific as creationism. It might be 'common' in the sense that people know about it and/or learn about their signs just for fun, but that's about it...

7 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

I wouldn't call it common, in America or elsewhere. I don't mean to just snark and I respect everyone's opinions, but come on! This stuff is about as scientific as creationism. It might be 'common' in the sense that people know about it and/or learn about their signs just for fun, but that's about it...

That's what I meant, people know about it and some people believe highly in it. I don't but I know people who are very scientific and still believe that the date of their birth determines their personality. 

It falls in with superstition and old wives tales, there are still people who have an unnatural fear of the number 13, genuinely think a black cat or a crow crossing them off is a sign of a death in the family, will throw salt over their right shoulder if they spill the salt. I just think if it gives someone peace of mind, then live and let live. 

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

some people believe highly in it

some, meaning a few, certainly not most. 'believe' is the key word. I just find it a bit humorous to be on a forum discussing Christian fundie beliefs, only to discover a decent number of people that feel just as strongly as the fundies do about their own set of beliefs. It's no more 'real' than anything the fundies believe, so you're pretty much in the same camp as them in that regard. I mean, I know everyone on here is different & diverse in their beliefs, so by all means, go for it. I'm just...surprised. But please continue as you'd like, we're all free to believe how we want...

2 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

. But please continue as you'd like, we're all free to believe how we want...

I don't believe in horoscopes. ;) I was just stating that there are people here who do. 

1 minute ago, Carm_88 said:

I was just stating that there are people here who do.

I hear ya - sorry, didn't mean to just pick on you. :) 

9 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

some, meaning a few, certainly not most. 'believe' is the key word. I just find it a bit humorous to be on a forum discussing Christian fundie beliefs, only to discover a decent number of people that feel just as strongly as the fundies do about their own set of beliefs. It's no more 'real' than anything the fundies believe, so you're pretty much in the same camp as them in that regard. I mean, I know everyone on here is different & diverse in their beliefs, so by all means, go for it. I'm just...surprised. But please continue as you'd like, we're all free to believe how we want...

Astrology is a lot less harmful as a belief than Christian fundie beliefs though.

I don't think you can compare the two.

Yeah... I don't believe in astrology, and I find myself having to bite my tongue when people insist to me over and over again that it's so totally accurate, and it does surprise me that so many people take it seriously, but... whatever. No astrologer has ever tried to mandate anything about my life or my body, and as far as I know astrologers aren't trying to create an astrological theocracy in the United States where, I don't know... people are forced to only marry 'compatible' signs and you can be denied a job or medical treatment due to your natal chart or something... so hey, if you really want to believe that various suns and planets influence your life, what do I care?

2 hours ago, snickers34 said:

A lot of people just do it for fun without really giving it any credence. You talk about how mercury is in retrograde and how you didn't get that parking space or whatever, but it's not taken 100% seriously. 

At least, not by me :D 

I think the true believers are probably a fairly small number.  I think most people just have fun with it.  Kind of like we don't believe the fortunes in the fortune cookies either, but it is fun to read them. 

And I think sometimes we make a common logic error called attibutional error.  In other words,  I read the description of the personality trait of a Libra and I think Yep, "fair and just",  that sounds just like me.  Now,  if the description of a Libra said "good at math, ugly and humorless", I would probably be pretty quick to dismiss any sort of validity to astrology because I most certainly don't see those qualities in myself. 

There can be benefits to things like astrology and tarot cards even if they're not 'real'. If they force you to look at some aspect of yourself or your life in a way you never would have, they can be psychologically useful, just like prayer can be very psychologically (and physically) beneficial even if there's not actually any higher power listening. I think those things are dysfunctional when people use them to make major life decisions like, "Oh, he seems perfect but he's a Capricorn so I can't date him." Or, "I was going to take that job, but the cards warned me not to." Or, "I prayed about it and God told me it's okay to beat my wife."

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

No astrologer has ever tried to mandate anything about my life or my body, and as far as I know astrologers aren't trying to create an astrological theocracy in the United States where, I don't know... people are forced to only marry 'compatible' signs and you can be denied a job or medical treatment due to your natal chart or something... so hey, if you really want to believe that various suns and planets influence your life, what do I care?

yep, that's fair. 

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Yeah... I don't believe in astrology, and I find myself having to bite my tongue when people insist to me over and over again that it's so totally accurate, and it does surprise me that so many people take it seriously, but... whatever. No astrologer has ever tried to mandate anything about my life or my body, and as far as I know astrologers aren't trying to create an astrological theocracy in the United States where, I don't know... people are forced to only marry 'compatible' signs and you can be denied a job or medical treatment due to your natal chart or something... so hey, if you really want to believe that various suns and planets influence your life, what do I care?

My mother once worked for someone who only hired Virgos. 

6 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Virgo represent!

9 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I really, really hope that office had a separate birthday party for each person. It'd be the month of birthdays. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived