IGNORED

The Invisible Jinger (and Her Preacher Man Jeremy)

choralcrusader8613

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

When did he explicity support BLM or Colin Kappernick? I thought he was just talking with Flame generally about racism. Was it a video or a social media post?

Also, a lot of fundies claim to pray for the President and hope he makes the 'right' decisions. I agree that Ben is anti-Trump but that doesn't mean pro-Obama or pro-BLM.

I guess I'm just suspicious of when white fundies claim to not to be racist or combat racism because they're still wrapped up in conservatives circles that are anti-black. It's like they talk about combating racism and they do other shit that is subtly racist.

Though I do agree that Ben is ahead of a lot of the people in his community, I haven't seen anything significant that is worthy of commendation (and I personally have issue with praising people for not being racist). I hope Ben continues to grow and become more socially aware. I agree with another poster who said that he has the potential to mature much more than Jessa.

On his social media posts, he posted links to 1) info about a police shooting of a black man and its injustice, 2) a post he wrote about how out of touch and lacking in empathy whites are towards black and Hispanic Christians and the discrimination they face, and 3) a link that had a somewhat left of center view of the CK protest, a statement that there does appear to be a racism problem in the police force and a list of black men who had recently been killed by police. He also said that voting for Trump wouldn't make America great again and his post for Obama was in *response* to his followers insulting him, very different from the vague "prayer" posts of other fundies. In addition to the interviews (there were at least 2 or 3), obviously. 

Is he likely still racist in some ways? Yes. But he was absolutely blasted and called racist by his fans for his statements. I think that's proof enough that he's doing something pretty damn controversial. Does he have the same political views as me? No. But he's a 20 year old brainwashed fundie kid who's actually taking the time to examine and address some aspects of racism and takes a TON of flack for appearing "liberal." Asking him to understand and unpack structural racism and the microaggressions in which he engages or openly and eloquently write about Black Lives Matter is a bit much IMO-- he grew up in a cult and is young, sheltered, and not terribly bright. What he's said is very radical for his circle, though. If we can get excited about Alyssa's much less controversial *pants* I think we can get excited about this.

Hell, when I was in undergrad and taking women's studies classes I'm sure I bought into all kinds of subtle sexism that I'd know how to point out and unpack now. But if someone had required that of me immediately upon exploring those issues at age 18-19, I wouldn't have been capable and probably would have said and thought some ignorant things. And I wasn't in a cult and went to a Seven Sisters college, so I didn't have Bin's crap working against me. I laid the intellectual groundwork then, though. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I'm surprised we didn't have an earthquake in the area when he found out. 

me too...I swear, that man is so greedy with his children, he should be glad that she is having a chance to travel some before there are babies in tow

I think you either love thrift store shopping or you loathe it. I have gone to yard sales and thrift stores ever since I can remember. I would load up with my grandma in her big Lincoln (back in the 70's) and hit the sales on Saturday mornings. I wanted to stay home when my kids were young so I supplemented the family income (quite well) selling on EBay. If hit the local thrift stores and yard sales weekly.

I am not really that interested in yard sales these days, but I still love to go thrifting. I live in a suburb of a large city so there are a plethora of good thrift stores. My 2 favorites are the Catholic Mission (all sales stay within the community I live in so I donate everything to them) and the Goodwill Outlet AKA "The Digging Store". The Catholic mission is super cheap $1-3 on almost everything. The digging store clothes are sold by the pound $1.25, shoes and purses $1.50, toys .10-$1.50 - it's the thrill of the hunt for me, but there's no order and it's utter chaos. In my Ebay days I found a pair of vintage Gucci boots for $1.50 sold those bad boys for $150. Yes, I did a little dance when I found them! [emoji23] Now, that I don't Ebay anymore I don't go as often, but I still find things for myself and the family. Often I'll buy a cute dress or pair of jeans pay a few dollars for them, wear a while and then sell on a local FB selling page and generally triple my money.

My daughter loves to thrift as well, but my husband and do hate it. Several years ago I found this in my son's journal from school. His feelings have not changed!

d4e25d936794b471208acdd47d4fe216.jpg

beb24cae84ce56fc977043403c63e3e0.jpg

Edited to add: I don't know why he decided I'd have Princess Leia buns for hair!

This is so random, but Jinger was baking pies in my dream last night. I think this is because of my time spent on this website and my recent love of Waiteess the musical:56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

9 hours ago, goldengrove said:

me too...I swear, that man is so greedy with his children, he should be glad that she is having a chance to travel some before there are babies in tow

Well that's the normal father response, happy his kids get to do things he didn't. This is JB and there is nothing normal about his parenting. 

We always donate to our local church's outreach center. They keep all donations in their facility and do not charge for the services they provide to the community. They give donations of clothing, household items and furniture to people and run a food bank as well. 

A previous poster said something about the organization in thrift stores/TJ Maxx/etc. I'm right there with you! I wish I could do the thrifting thing but it just makes me too anxious and frustrated to try to dig for things. 

The thing I always think about JB is that he seems to have no idea how to act like a normal person. You can tell that because of the cameras or just because he's trying to make a yuckety-yuk dad joke, he brings up things like Jinger's shopping habits or moving to Arkansas. My dad did the same kind of stuff with my husband (heyy you guys should move to Minnesota! Heyy you have to keep up with her expensive habits! *Heh heh*) and it was a bit sexist but mostly rather harmless. But somehow when JB does it it's SO creepy and controlling. Maybe because you can tell he really means it...As in, many parents would love to see their kids move to their town, but few *expect* it like he does, or expect to have the same level of control as they did pre marriage. Also, since it sometimes doesn't seem like he has a truly deep relationship with his kids (nobody in the family seems to have non-stilted relationships), his attempts at "well meaning dad humor" come off like a bad comedian attempting to mimic somebody's father. 

14 hours ago, emscm said:
We always donate to our local church's outreach center. They keep all donations in their facility and do not charge for the services they provide to the community. They give donations of clothing, household items and furniture to people and run a food bank as well. 
A previous poster said something about the organization in thrift stores/TJ Maxx/etc. I'm right there with you! I wish I could do the thrifting thing but it just makes me too anxious and frustrated to try to dig for things. 

Yep, I love the digging goodwill (see my previous post), but TJ Max and Ross stress me out. Makes absolutely no sense, but then again I've always matched to the beat of my own drummer!

We have a regular goodwill here too (I call it the hanging goodwill). I like to go in there for children's clothing to resell (.99 for sizes 4T and under) and for dresses for me (they are $3.99) I like to wear dresses to work (Our office is business casual). Rumor has it they are going to do a $1 clearance sale. They did this one other time everything was $1 I cleaned house. I'm going to keep my eyes open for that sale.

Last night was watching the episode on you tube when Jinger went to Laredo. Jim Bob is such a boob. I have hope she will be in pants soon and will not have 20 kids. The only thing that bothers me is her incessant use of "Babe", but it really is not her it's me. I know a girl who's missing the entire bag of fries from her happy meal who calls her long time boyfriend "babe" and it makes my skin crawl. [emoji15]

49 minutes ago, mightybisme said:

Last night was watching the episode on you tube when Jinger went to Laredo. Jim Bob is such a boob. I have hope she will be in pants soon and will not have 20 kids. The only thing that bothers me is her incessant use of "Babe", but it really is not her it's me. I know a girl who's missing the entire bag of fries from her happy meal who calls her long time boyfriend "babe" and it makes my skin crawl. emoji15.png

Would you prefer "bae"? 

On 12/29/2016 at 10:10 AM, Maggie Mae said:
Would you prefer "bae"? 

Ughhh even worse. I prefer my husband's pet name for me, shit head. [emoji23]

0d092628b3052237c67a65d06176384c.jpg

1 hour ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

The thing I always think about JB is that he seems to have no idea how to act like a normal person. You can tell that because of the cameras or just because he's trying to make a yuckety-yuk dad joke, he brings up things like Jinger's shopping habits or moving to Arkansas.

*snip*

And his "Y'all aren't ready to swap spit" comment. Seriously, that was just fucking inappropriate, and I had so much secondhand embarrassment for everybody at that table when JB said it. :pb_confused:

8 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Would you prefer "bae"? 

When I first saw "bae", I was so confused. I was like, "Why the hell is everyone suddenly misspelling 'babe'???" Haha

2 minutes ago, MotherOfDragons said:

And his "Y'all aren't ready to swap spit" comment. Seriously, that was just fucking inappropriate, and I had so much secondhand embarrassment for everybody at that table when JB said that. :pb_confused:

He always comes across to me like he's trying to seem cool or approachable but has zero social skills or understanding of how normal people interact. 

1 minute ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

He always comes across to me like he's trying to seem cool or approachable but has zero social skills or understanding of how normal people interact. 

No personal boundaries + No filter = Cringe (poor Jinge)

Watching Jinger in that video kind of reminds me of when I was 14. The cringeworthy blunder years, where you said and did inappropriate things with your "first love." Thank any god you want (Christian Jesus God, God, Allah, Zeus, Loki, whatever) that I didn't have to marry that guy, nor was very much of it on film. And the stuff that was captured on film was either local cable tv channel or SUPER 8 HOME VIDEO! So NO ONE WILL EVER SEE IT! 

On 12/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, SweetFellowshipper said:

Sadly, it seems to me he was probably a social outcast in high school who landed the defrauding hot cheerleader Michelle. He's forever stuck in that place and time. He has never matured. He thinks he's smart and witty, but he comes across as a moron with no clue. It really is pitiful and if he wasn't such a tool I'd pity him.

8 minutes ago, awkwardblackchick said:

Vuolo Family singing christmas carols

I've never heard it sung that speed before. Dare I say it was... fast tracked? 

(I'll let myself out. :pb_lol:)

On 12/28/2016 at 0:14 AM, feministxtian said:

About Goodwill...

Many of the people they hire that are disabled are often getting other benefits and if they make too much money, they can lose their benefits. So, Goodwill (among other places) will pay less than minimum wage so their workers can keep their benefits also. Goodwill has helped us during our time of broke-ass almost homelessness including paying for hubby's phlebotomy class, including his scrubs, background checks, license fees and gave us gas cards when we were running low on gas (and funds). Because of the program that hubby is in, they will help us for a YEAR to get us/him established and on our feet. 

So...folks might fuss about Goodwill, but without Goodwill, we'd have been screwed on numerous occasions. They also provide support including financial support for woman leaving DV situations, helping homeless get housed, etc. So...don't give a crap what anyone says, Goodwill does shitloads of good things for many people, including us. 

The Goodwill Corp in the greater Omaha area was paying its CEO nearly a million dollars a year as well as paying 13 other execs salaries over $100,000 a year. The CEO also got a country club membership. These salaries are grossly out of line with nonprofit salaries in the region including at Goodwill down the road in Lincoln or across the border in Iowa. The CEO's daughter was one of the people making over $100,000 and she was a retail manager. The same managers and executives making a fortune also made extensive cuts for retail employees, trainers, etc...including small things like canceling all staff holiday parties in stores. They could take home huge salaries but couldn't buy cookies for lower level staff. 

In 2015, Goodwill Omaha generated nearly $4 million in retail profits and only $557,000 went back to jobs programs while local school districts funded nearly all of its funding for disabled job trainees. Federal grants also contribute to funding employment for the disabled. 

They also made a significant amount of money repackaging Chinese produced products into packages marked "made in America" which violates federal labeling standards. 

This was not at all about minimum wage. The amount of good things Goodwill did in this region was held hostage to the profits of the higher ups. The CEO has resigned but there is little indication that enough will change with his departure. 

If you want links, I can provide them. 

i wonder if the wives when newly married are questioning anything that they are not comfortable with or they just do it regardless because it has to be done

58 minutes ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

This is a huge problem for socially awkward people, and quote normal socially awkward folks as well, like myself & my husband. Our kids are getting public school educations, my son is in college (community college but still college) they both have jobs, my daughter works at the mall (the horror) & my son for the lame stream media at a local ABC affiliate.  We are all someone socially awkward. My DH, DS & DD all have varying degrees of social anxiety, I'm hoping my kids are like me and at least out grow the social anxiety, I'm still awkward AF but I can own it  & go out in public and let my freak fly. 

My husband, of all people, likes shopping at Goodwill. He's found some nice stuff there and we've found brand new Princess dresses for our friend's daughters. I look for random tea cups and buy them because why not? We went to one of the Goodwill outlets and noped right out of there, though.  Too much chaos. 

Am I way behind everyone?

I found this little tidbit on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rbny/comments/1mv8m0/lets_talk_about_jeremy_vuolo_for_a_quick_minute/

In summary, a poster had a positive experience with meeting Jeremy for the first time Jeremy talking church with him, --

"If nothing else, I want to just make sure that everyone knows how incredibly amazing this man is. He's a guy who would not only give you the shirt off his back, but he'd pay for your cab home, encourage you about your life while the cab came, and then call you the next morning to ask if you got home ok and tell you how happy he was to meet you. I know most of you are probably not Christians, but this man truly embodied what it means to be a true Christ-follower and made other people's lives better in the process.

Also, I spent some time with Luis Robles while Jeremy was in town. He and his wife have a beautiful baby, and are truly good people.

Let's go Red Bulls!" 

And another poster noted that something happened that caused the Red Bulls to let Jeremy go:

"i'm sure he's a nice guy but he's way too preachy. there was something that happened last year when still with the team (maybe it was the school shooting, i can't remember...some sort of tragedy) and he tweeted something to the effect of "this is what happens when secularism takes over." that's pretty much when people turned on him."

I haven't looked into what the preachy issue was. The first poster experienced a preachy Jeremy in an appropriate place: they met in church, and I could see how that was a warm experience. The second story, if it is true, sounds like it was a nasty place to get dog-centered as if it were the only correct spiritual response.

On 12/28/2016 at 10:42 AM, MargaretElliott said:

If anyone on here lives in the New England/MA area, there's this wonderful store called Frugal Fannie's, in Westwood, MA. It's high-end designer stuff for significantly reduced prices. I regularly get $200 dresses for like $30. There's no way I would be able to afford brands like Anthropologie or Michael Kors otherwise, and they have tons of samples from fashion shows and it's just great.

I love Frugal Fannie's! Always a great selection, they used to have one on the North Shore as well, but I think that is gone. 

Boomarang's is also a good Boston community one, i think they have three stores and its all in the community. I just dropped off two bags.

On 12/29/2016 at 10:14 AM, mightybisme said:

Ughhh even worse. I prefer my husband's pet name for me, shit head. emoji23.png

0d092628b3052237c67a65d06176384c.jpg

I want Joy to call Austin Puddin, and he can wear one of these. 

Purple-Choker-Harley-Quinn-Chokers-Suicide-Squad-Puddin-Neck-Collar-Necklaces-Halloween-Gift-for-Women-Free.jpg

46 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is a huge problem for socially awkward people, and quote normal socially awkward folks as well, like myself & my husband. Our kids are getting public school educations, my son is in college (community college but still college) they both have jobs, my daughter works at the mall (the horror) & my son for the lame stream media at a local ABC affiliate.  We are all someone socially awkward. My DH, DS & DD all have varying degrees of social anxiety, I'm hoping my kids are like me and at least out grow the social anxiety, I'm still awkward AF but I can own it  & go out in public and let my freak fly. 

I'm super socially awkward too but fortunately I don't have the added issue of being Jim Bob Duggar/the controlling as fuck patriarch of a family cult. That probably adds to the awkwardness. Lol! 

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Watching Jinger in that video kind of reminds me of when I was 14. The cringeworthy blunder years, where you said and did inappropriate things with your "first love." Thank any god you want (Christian Jesus God, God, Allah, Zeus, Loki, whatever) that I didn't have to marry that guy, nor was very much of it on film. And the stuff that was captured on film was either local cable tv channel or SUPER 8 HOME VIDEO! So NO ONE WILL EVER SEE IT! 

Omg yes. I'm not necessarily against marrying the first person you're with as everyone is different and some people do meet their soulmate young, but all I think of when I see these kids is what I was like with my "boyfriends" at 14, 16, even 18. I would hardly call those "relationships." I can't imagine if we had tried to get married or have babies. It was basically play acting.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived