IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 4

samurai_sarah

Someone might choose to pay off their mortgage early to reduce their monthly overhead in case of a SHTF situation, even if it meant losing out on returns. It all comes back to being able to sleep at night and being comfortable with your financial decisions. :pb_smile:

If only we had crystal balls that let us know exactly what was coming down the road for us, so that we could always make the best decisions for our circumstances....

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:39 PM, socalrules said:

I am just wondering, what skills do the Maxwell women have that would allow them to be self supporting should something happen to their parents?

It was posted on the blog before that Anna had learned bookkeeping to help with the family business, though to what extent that is who knows http://blog.titus2.com/2011/01/08/am-i-going-to-college/

I thought I also recalled seeing something about Mary learning bookkeeping too from Steve, perhaps on one of the timetables they posted but I can't seem to find anything about it right now. I guess they probably wouldn't bother using these skills to make income for themselves, even if the parents weren't around as that might not be such a godly thing to do and regardless I'm doubtful as to whether they'd be able to apply them to another business without help.

At least though it's something. Something that could be put on a CV, with actual work experience from in the family business. And if all else fails it's a relatively good job that can be done from home freelance.

As I thought about college and saw the negative fruit in the lives of many who have gone there, it was obvious to me that there were dangers and pitfalls in college that I would prefer to avoid.

Mmmn, like Steve and Teri?

Oh! I just remembered that today is Calia's birthday, and as some of you may recall, I guessed that Joseph and Elissa might announce being pregnant with Blessing #2 that day. Well, the day is almost over and there's no kind of announcement of any kind. Damn it, Maxwells. You made me lose my wager! :(

Now I'm wondering if Elissa is pregnant at all.

Perhaps Elissa and Joseph are preventing in some way? I'm just glad they made it to her first birthday without a pregnancy announcement.

32 minutes ago, season of life said:

Perhaps Elissa and Joseph are preventing in some way? I'm just glad they made it to her first birthday without a pregnancy announcement.

Doubt it (I'll be truly gobsmacked if that's the case AND wondering why they don't try to convince Nathan and Melanie to hop on the same train), but I too am secretly glad. Calia deserves to have a little extra time to be the only child--a rare chance in that culture.

14 hours ago, season of life said:

Joseph? No way! At least not at this point. 

I have two kids and both times I had my period back when they turned one. If Elissa breastfeeds, it's normal she's not pregnant already. It's why Zsu has kids every other year and not every 13 months like Kelly or Michelle. Of course breastfeeding not always works like that, but not being pregnant at baby's first birthday is normal even for people who don't use birth control.

15 hours ago, AliC said:

Doubt it (I'll be truly gobsmacked if that's the case AND wondering why they don't try to convince Nathan and Melanie to hop on the same train), but I too am secretly glad. Calia deserves to have a little extra time to be the only child--a rare chance in that culture.

Well, Melanie does get to lay on the couch for most of her pregnancies.  I'm not saying that she wants it that way, but it's probably the only rest she gets.  NRAnna, on the other hand, probably pops out the newborn and gets up to can green beans, sew frumpers, potty train whomever, and make dinner.  Oh, and service Prissy too, all in the same day.

I am being especially mean today.  I apologize.

1 hour ago, Granwych said:

Well, Melanie does get to lay on the couch for most of her pregnancies.  I'm not saying that she wants it that way, but it's probably the only rest she gets.  NRAnna, on the other hand, probably pops out the newborn and gets up to can green beans, sew frumpers, potty train whomever, and make dinner.  Oh, and service Prissy too, all in the same day.

I am being especially mean today.  I apologize.

NR Anna is a fundie wonder of nature, no doubt about that. 

9 minutes ago, AliC said:

NR Anna is a fundie wonder of nature, no doubt about that. 

Exactly she didn't have the problems that Melanie had. I am sure Steve was thrilled by that. 

On 05/10/2016 at 2:02 AM, mango_fandango said:

This reminds me of some thing I saw in another forum on a thread discussing bad baby names. Someone posted a photo of a child with an unusual name. The name was- I shit you not- KVIIIlyn. Apparently the mum really liked the name Kaitlyn, but thought it was too common a spelling, so used the Roman numeral "VIII" (aka, ahem, eight) in the spelling of her name. The kid in the photo wasn't happy-looking, either. Probably a coincidence, but ironic.

(Image taken from a HuffPost article).

image.jpeg

I was thinking that was fake until I saw the family was from the Gold Coast.... so it probably isn't.

What I want to know is what changed with Melanie's situation, where they were waiting for children for four years and once they started they managed to have a baby every other year.

On 03/10/2016 at 10:40 PM, AliC said:

Thanks. How peculiar that his name is pronounced that way--I honestly thought he was named that because he's the seventh arrow (of Jason and Anna/Tirzah's quiver, that is). Which of course is eyeroll-worthy enough in itself...

Me too - and if they wanted to call him Zaven, just call him that!

I always laugh out loud over Vision O'YWH, and nourish a hope it's a boychild that will grow up to marry Heistheway, just for the most fundy wedding EVAH! 

1 hour ago, meee said:

What I want to know is what changed with Melanie's situation, where they were waiting for children for four years and once they started they managed to have a baby every other year.

They discovered orgasms?

4 hours ago, meee said:

I've always wondered this too. A part of me secretly hopes that they were claiming Infertility Issues to Steve, but in reality were preventing the whole time. I'm guessing that is not the case though.

On a personal note, my aunt had a similar issue. She and my uncle tried for YEARS to have kids (I'm talking almost 10 years here). Even tried fertility drugs. Nothing worked. So they turned to adoption and then got pregnant. After that they went on to have 3 more children (pretty much back to back) without any issue. I don't know any personal details, but on the surface it's quite the crazy story. So maybe it can really happen that way for people.

The whole "debt is evil" thing was so ingrained that I had a hard time taking out a credit card, and an even harder time using it. But I needed to be able to see, and eye exams and glasses are expensive. I couldn't wait to save up the $300 it ended up costing me, so, I charged it. Even though I haven't believed debt is wrong for a while now, it was still very hard to allow myself to do that.

The maxwells would have an even harder timr

10 hours ago, Foudeb said:

They discovered orgasms?

If that were the case, they'd still be catatonic from shock.  And since a female doesn't need to reach orgasm for fertilization,  maybe the couple in question are still "shooting" for that.

Out of all the Maxwell females, I like Melanie the most.  Dunno why, but she's always seemed to be a nice person.

On 05/10/2016 at 1:05 AM, FrumperedCat said:

It was posted on the blog before that Anna had learned bookkeeping to help with the family business, though to what extent that is who knows http://blog.titus2.com/2011/01/08/am-i-going-to-college/

I thought I also recalled seeing something about Mary learning bookkeeping too from Steve, perhaps on one of the timetables they posted but I can't seem to find anything about it right now. I guess they probably wouldn't bother using these skills to make income for themselves, even if the parents weren't around as that might not be such a godly thing to do and regardless I'm doubtful as to whether they'd be able to apply them to another business without help.

At least though it's something. Something that could be put on a CV, with actual work experience from in the family business. And if all else fails it's a relatively good job that can be done from home freelance.

I've just gotten around to reading this post now and .... wow.

In colleges – even Christian colleges – so much of what is being taught is ungodly. It may seem harmless to read something that is unbiblical, thinking that I will just let it slide out of my mind. However it seems to me that in reality this is sowing bad seed with equally bad fruit. I don’t want to learn the things that are being taught in colleges.

So what she's saying is she chooses to be wilfully ignorant? Surely if her faith is strong then she will be able to engage with anything that contradicts it and come out stronger. It suggests she doesn't trust herself - or her beliefs - to stand up to the test of logic and reason.

In our family, we are insatiable learners. Even after high school, we are constantly learning.

Really. I thought Steve claimed his children didn't read, which is generally a popular vehicle for learning.

I am so blessed to be able to be in a family where they welcome and encourage us to stay at home after we graduate from high school!

She does realise that most loving parents don't kick their kids out the day they graduate, right? It's true that my parents encouraged us all to go to university far from home, because it's a good opportunity to experience life somewhere else (and they didn't want us bringing our laundry back every weekend), but after my sister graduated she spent a year at home before going to grad school, while Mr Alba and I are, after years of living alone, moving back in with my parents in a few months when we move to my hometown (though hopefully not long-term!).

As for Mr Alba's family, both his siblings have lived at home long-term at some point in the past several years. His sister didn't go to university (she did attend a community college several years after leaving school, though, and is now a beauty therapist) and stayed with her parents for a few years while working in town, before heading off to New Zealand for 18 months, then moved back in with them when she returned home, while his brother went to uni, ended up back home because the job market sucked, before going to China for a couple of years, coming back home again, then landing a job in London. And what do their parents think of all this? Well, they're not thrilled for their children's sake, because they live in a small town where job opportunities for young adults are pretty much zilch, but they do love having them around and they certainly wouldn't expect them to leave and move down the road.

I'd hazard a guess that at least 50% of my friends and family in my age group have lived at home at some point since finishing high school. One of my friends has lived either with her parents or her older sister's family this entire time and has only recently been able to move into an apartment with her boyfriend.

A lot of this is because the economy sucks, and no one I know actually wants to be a twenty-something living with their parents (well, okay, my sister thought it was pretty sweet that my mom packed her lunch every morning :D ), while none of the parents want their children to have such difficulty paying for housing they're forced to live at home, but the parents are, generally, happy to have their children around even though they wish it didn't have to be that way.

Another reason why I am not attending college is because of the huge financial cost of college. It seems that it would be a waste of

the Lord’s Stevehovah's finances for me to go to college when I have no need for a college degree.

FIFY.

I have seen

one of my sisters and four of my brothers excel in their adult professional lives without a college degree and without debt.

Is she talking about Poor Sarah here? Because a college degree could really have helped Sarah excel as a writer, and instead ... she really doesn't. My first drafts are better than the Moody books, and my first drafts are utter drivel that only my critique partner is ever allowed to see.

I can't help but feel incredibly sad for Anna reading this post. No, I don't think university is the right choice for everyone, but she's so sadly misinformed and misguided. How can she possibly make an informed decision about her future education and career when she thinks the Moody books are excellent writing and non-fundie parents shove their children out the door the day of high school graduation? Stevehovah should be ashamed of himself.

Where's the discussion of Melanie's pregnancy? After months of boredom, I thrilled something has finally happened in Maxwell, even if it is just another baby. I raced to FJ to snark and I can find a discussion on it.

Where's the discussion of Melanie's pregnancy? After months of boredom, I thrilled something has finally happened in Maxwell, even if it is just another baby. I raced to FJ to snark and I can find a discussion on it.

There's been a bit of discussion in this thread, but it's mixed in with all the other snark.

1 minute ago, Miggy said:

It's a few pages back in this thread. FWIW, everyone is a bit "meh" about it. 

Anyway, the Tits blog has been awfully quiet (for them) lately, and I think they've also used some posts that they've put aside for a rainy day, so to speak.

So I think something's going on that is occupying them. I'm predicting a John wedding. Well why not? 

Melanie could have had a form of endometriosis. With endo, pregnancy can help "flush out" uterine fibroids which make pregnancy difficult at first but less difficult with each successive pregnancy. This is just a theory though. Or maybe Jesus cured her. 

27 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

Melanie could have had a form of endometriosis. With endo, pregnancy can help "flush out" uterine fibroids which make pregnancy difficult at first but less difficult with each successive pregnancy. This is just a theory though. Or maybe Jesus cured her. 

Or maybe it's a situation similar to Erin Paine's. Not saying it's the exact same thing but it could be similar.

On October 6, 2016 at 6:54 AM, meee said:

The only possibility I can think of is what happened to me and a few other people I know. I had unexplained fertility with my first. It took awhile to get him. Then I became pregnant and quickly with my second. It was a surprise. I know others who had this happen as well. I've heard a doctor theorize that a pregnancy fixes some unknown problem with fertility. So that's my guess.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived