IGNORED

Maxhell- Part 4

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Coconutwater said:

I find it amusing that when Steve posts he always disables the comments...can't take the heat???

Why would anyone need to add anything when The Steve Has Spoken?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

I've wondered this too. Alicia Faith Pennington bolted. Two of Chris and Wendy Jeub's kids did too. Why haven't any Maxwells? Do they just not have the gumption? Or was their brainwashing that much more effective?

I think that the Maxwells probably have a very comfortable, although dull life.  They're extremely sheltered, but I don't think they're really unhappy with their situation.  I don't think it would occur to them to want to leave.  The outside world's a scary place, after all!

18 hours ago, Bethella said:

The Wilkinsons:

Parents Jason and Anna/Tirzah

Glenn (Jason's son from a previous relationship)

Judah Zachariah

Serenity Rose

Mercy Fire

Destiny Divine

Vision O'YWH

Jerusalem Song

Zeven Arrow

Truly Faithful

there was also a miscarriage named Joyful Praise

I've always gone straight to stripper name when seeing Destiny Devine.

Of course, that was not their intention, but people who give their offspring ridiculous names may want to give a bit more consideration to them and how the actual world will view/see/relate/use that name.

I think so.  The Maxwells have a fairly comfortable life.  There is enough food questionable bean burritos aside.  They get to go to a few places like the zoo.  They have "vacations."  They get their little family parties and the occasional tea party with a couple neighborhood ladies.  They are kept from knowing how most of the rest of the world works, but they aren't seriously mistreated.  Steve seems to have gotten a hair more liberal with Terri going to a conference on her own and some of the female kidults getting to go off with a married couple.  He probably does just enough loosening to keep them still in the fold but let them think they're living a good life. 

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

He's a boy- his name supposedly rhymes with haven not seven.

Thanks. How peculiar that his name is pronounced that way--I honestly thought he was named that because he's the seventh arrow (of Jason and Anna/Tirzah's quiver, that is). Which of course is eyeroll-worthy enough in itself...

The Duggars and Maxwells have money. They have no immediate incentive to leave when that would mean leaving the family they do love AND their livelihood. To gain what, a freedom they've never known? it would be madness. 

She legally changed her name to Tirzah Jubilee. It appears that Zeven and Truly were born in a hospital, so at least they aren't being completely irresponsible. 

The Maxwell "kids" aren't going anywhere. They don't know what's out there for them, and what they do know, they know is "ungodly." Plus they aren't uncomfortable. They have just enough love, food, and shelter to not need to rebel. The Duggars are the same. I would like to put the Duggars up against the Maxwells on some sort of Christian family feud/double dare/adventure race/survivor type reality show. 

1 hour ago, freejugar said:

I need to send that to my daughter.  Her husband is set on naming their daughter who is due in a month a non-name name.  She hates the proposed name.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

She legally changed her name to Tirzah Jubilee. It appears that Zeven and Truly were born in a hospital, so at least they aren't being completely irresponsible. 

The Maxwell "kids" aren't going anywhere. They don't know what's out there for them, and what they do know, they know is "ungodly." Plus they aren't uncomfortable. They have just enough love, food, and shelter to not need to rebel. The Duggars are the same. I would like to put the Duggars up against the Maxwells on some sort of Christian family feud/double dare/adventure race/survivor type reality show. 

I agree that the Duggars are not going anywhere. They are too dependent on the financial control that JB has to be tempted to rebel. They see Amy as a heathen but will smile to her face. Gradually though you will see them get more "liberal" in their beliefs depending on their exposure to the world as you know they have loosened up on the super long jean skirts and such in the past 7 years.

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Why would anyone need to add anything when The Steve Has Spoken?

Damn straight.  Stevehovah knows all, sees all, and directs all...

On 10/3/2016 at 0:05 PM, AliC said:

I don't find name themes in themselves stupid. There are plenty of people I know whose kids' names have some sort of theme to them, whether on accident or completely on purpose, and they usually just have a few kids. It's when parents pick a name that's really off the wall or respell a name to shoehorn it into the theme that really irks me. Like Jinger instead of Ginger (Duggars) or Sharlotte instead of Charlotte (Bambi Moore), or naming a child Chrysanthemum just because you already have Rose, Lily, Daisy and Jasmine. 

My parents theme is to keep the number of syllables consistent, not repeat initial letters, and not sound similar to the other names.  And pick names they like the meaning of.  Seems to have worked pretty well.  Though two are outright Bible names and another is a variant.

But using numbers as names... not good.  You're raising a human, not a Cylon or Borg!  (Well, maybe the Maxwells are, not that they'd know.)

Do all the kids contribute financially? I know a few are married, but do the younger ones consistently help out with jobs? 

5 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

My parents theme is to keep the number of syllables consistent, not repeat initial letters, and not sound similar to the other names.  And pick names they like the meaning of.  Seems to have worked pretty well.  Though two are outright Bible names and another is a variant.

But using numbers as names... not good.  You're raising a human, not a Cylon or Borg!  (Well, maybe the Maxwells are, not that they'd know.)

That's actually pretty cool. I like when name themes are rather subtle and hard to pinpoint. :)

6 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

This reminds me of some thing I saw in another forum on a thread discussing bad baby names. Someone posted a photo of a child with an unusual name. The name was- I shit you not- KVIIIlyn. Apparently the mum really liked the name Kaitlyn, but thought it was too common a spelling, so used the Roman numeral "VIII" (aka, ahem, eight) in the spelling of her name. The kid in the photo wasn't happy-looking, either. Probably a coincidence, but ironic.

(Image taken from a HuffPost article).

image.jpeg

44 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

This reminds me of some thing I saw in another forum on a thread discussing bad baby names. Someone posted a photo of a child with an unusual name. The name was- I shit you not- KVIIIlyn. Apparently the mum really liked the name Kaitlyn, but thought it was too common a spelling, so used the Roman numeral "VIII" (aka, ahem, eight) in the spelling of her name. The kid in the photo wasn't happy-looking, either. Probably a coincidence, but ironic.

image.jpeg

Good grief!  How can inflict a name that weird on a kid?

@CyborgKin,  your post made me think of Seven of Nine who was a former Borg drone.  Our @47of74 has never been part of the Borg collective.

12 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

image.jpeg

I wish the parents of this baby would realize that their daughter is going to spend the rest of her life teaching people how to correctly spell and pronounce her name. Her name is going to be mangled beyond repair on a regular basis, getting a driver's license or a credit card with the correct name on it is going to be fun.

Your daughter or son will be a unique individual no matter how many other people share their name. Please don't burden children with a name that brings hardship to their lives. :pb_sad:

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

image.jpeg

If they're going to inflict THAT kind of name on their child, why not just K8lyn? At least I would kinda get how to pronounce it. With the Roman numeral it looks more like a bastardized version of Kevin. 

34 minutes ago, AliC said:

If they're going to inflict THAT kind of name on their child, why not just K8lyn? At least I would kinda get how to pronounce it. With the Roman numeral it looks more like a bastardized version of Kevin. 

That's going to be fun for the kid on the first day of school every year...not everyone is going to quickly catch on that it's Roman numerals. I don't get parents who do this shit to their kids. 

57 minutes ago, AliC said:

Or Keightlyn.

On 10/2/2016 at 5:40 PM, mango_fandango said:

Just that it's not fun to be in debt and why would you want that for yourselves/your sons??

But most importantly it's unbiblical.

Usury is unbiblical. But if my retirement investments are earning 9 percentage points more than I pay in mortgage interest (before the tax deduction on the latter) why would I want to pay off my mortgage or not have one in the first place?

52 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

That's going to be fun for the kid on the first day of school every year...not everyone is going to quickly catch on that it's Roman numerals. I don't get parents who do this shit to their kids. 

I tend to read it as kvye-lin. I totally get wanting an unusual name for your child- my mum wanted my brother and I to have unusual names and not have to be, say, one of five Emilys in a class- but completely butchering a perfectly normal name is just terrible. It should be illegal. There are some countries which have an approved list of baby names which you can't deviate from; I don't entirely support this idea but butchering a name like that shouldn't be allowed. I feel so damn sorry for this girl and others like her. I remember reading a story in a magazine once about a girl called Mayzee-Jo. Why? Maisy/Maisie is much prettier-looking IMO. 

@mango_fandango,  I agree about just naming a little girl Maisy or, in the case of my little granddaughter, Maizy.  Maizy's Chinese name was Wan-mei, IIRC, so my daughter and son-in-law decided on Maizy to honor her Chinese heritage.  Maizy is amazing!

2 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@mango_fandango,  I agree about just naming a little girl Maisy or, in the case of my little granddaughter, Maizy.  Maizy's Chinese name was Wan-mei, IIRC, so my daughter and son-in-law decided on Maizy to honor her Chinese heritage.  Maizy is amazing!

Nice name. Lovely that your daughter & son-in-law honored her heritage. 

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Usury is unbiblical. But if my retirement investments are earning 9 percentage points more than I pay in mortgage interest (before the tax deduction on the latter) why would I want to pay off my mortgage or not have one in the first place?

This. Interest rates are at a record low where I am - keeping money in the bank means you're actually losing money as interest would be way lower than inflation. It makes sense to be in debt, as long of course as the debt doesn't cost you money. Having a mortgage is a sound financial move in this context. Unless of course you think there is a risk you'll have to relocate, in which case you wouldn't want to have a very illiquid asset (meaning you can't exchange your house for cash that easily). It's the same for credit - if you buy a new sofa and the store is prepared to allow you to repay in 3 years with no interest, it's better to "be in debt" to the store than pay them upfront - this way you can invest your cash elsewhere and it can get you interest for those 3 years. All you need to do is make sure you can afford the sofa repayments (ie have access to the cash even in case of redundancy etc). It's all about calculating the cost of borrowing / investing etc, and weighing that against future risks.

But then again I guess fundies would rather think in black and white, debt = evil and cash in hand = godliness, rather than dedicate five seconds of rational thought to any given topic. That's why they're fundies.

The Maxwells know better though - I'm pretty sure their anti-mortgage stance is, more than anything, a "make sure we keep the kidults home forever" stance (boys need to stick to working for Daddy, girls will never earn enough to leave, ever).

That post of Steve's made me sick to my stomach. His preaching to people to live debt-free has nothing to do with conviction and everything to do with trying to pry money out of vulnerable souls who really don't know better and can ill afford the charge.

56 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

This. Interest rates are at a record low where I am - keeping money in the bank means you're actually losing money as interest would be way lower than inflation.

Oh, absolutely. I keep only as much money in the bank as I need to pay my bills for three months.  But even the equity index funds have been appreciating at 10% or more per year for the last 5 years.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived