IGNORED

The Hodnett Family Converting Scotland

Palimpsest

I suspect they are having an awful time, it isn't like they thought it would be, they thought God said one thing and now God is saying something else -- it's all so confusing, plus it's cold and where will they go if they have to return to the US with a failed mission?  Maybe Jody is telling his wife he's making great progress saving Heathen Scots, but in reality he's just hanging out in coffee shops all day, sucking WiFi, looking at facebook and Victoria's Secret and answering emails. 

Re: Tony Miano  I didn't even think about youtube hits, @Palimpsest.  The main point of that video was the extent to which people just kept their heads down and went about their business, and the few who didn't ignore him were just telling him he was obnoxious.  I also found the little folding perch he stood on to be annoying.  It puts him just a bit higher than whoever might want to argue with him, which is, of course, the whole point.  

So what exactly is the Hodnett take on Christianity?  Are they Grace Alone or what's their angle? What is it that the already-Christian-but-still-heathen-Scots are to be saved  from?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hodnetts seem to be fairly standard IFB, so Saved by Grace Alone, although I was surprised to see on the old blog that Ginger only found God when they were already on deputation.  Usually they boast about having found Jebus at 5 years old.   OTOH, perhaps Ginger getting "convicted" all over again was a way to grift more cash.  Yeah, I'm so cynical.

I think they are probably enjoying themselves well enough.  They haven't done all the tourist spots yet and Jody loves his fish and chips.  I'm sure people will keep sending them money until they get tired of being chilly in Scotland - and then God will convince them that it is time to go back to convert the heathens in Georgia.  I give them at least two years to annoy Scotland.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

The Hodnetts seem to be fairly standard IFB, so Saved by Grace Alone, although I was surprised to see on the old blog that Ginger only found God when they were already on deputation.  Usually they boast about having found Jebus at 5 years old.   OTOH, perhaps Ginger getting "convicted" all over again was a way to grift more cash.  Yeah, I'm so cynical.

Wait, what?  She was already on a Mission when she found Jesus?  I can't wrap my head around this!  Do you have any idea how that works?  Is it something like "I thought I believed in God, but then I saw how he worked in the hearts of people and I realised I hadn't understood until now"?

5 hours ago, Granwych said:

I dinna think Mr. Hodnett thinks much (aboot anything!)

Martians "think" by mental telepathy.  Vulcans have the "mind meld." Jody, well, he sits on his brain.

Love you Granwych!

On 19/12/2016 at 5:37 PM, Gobsmacked said:

So back in 2011 Jody fancied a trip to Livingstone. All paid for naturally.

Am I bad in thinking that he thinks/thought that David Livingstone was born there?

Im bad:whistle:

That would be hilarious. David Livingstone is from Blantyre, South Lanarkshire  Livingston is no where near his birthplace.

The Hodnett family spent Christmas Eve afternoon in Lockerbie ( shopping?)

Ginger has mastered the art of making chick-fil-A type burgers. Jody says they taste like the real thing.

He signed off reminding folk that he is ministering for the Lord in Scotland. I still haven't figured out just how yet.

He is mentioned as having preached a service at the Carlise church pre -Christmas.

Nothing exciting seems to be happening though.

John 3  Jody 0 this Christmas so far!!

Why doesn't he just move to Carlisle? I don't get his objective is he supposed to be planting a satellite church in Lockerbie?

I hope he didn't try to attend any of the Lockerbie memorial services that would have taken place last week, if any were had.

2 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Why doesn't he just move to Carlisle? I don't get his objective is he supposed to be planting a satellite church in Lockerbie?

I hope he didn't try to attend any of the Lockerbie memorial services that would have taken place last week, if any were had.

I hope they showed enough respect to the victims and their families not to cause any upset. Fundies have a habit of using tragedies for their own gain. Fred Phelps tried to say The Glasgow helicopter crash a few years ago was gods way of punishing Scotland for legalising gay marriage. When he died a few months later a lot of gay people I know called it karma.

He can't move to Carlisle. He is a missionary to poor bedevilled Scotland. Even his poor deluded griftees may notice if he did/does move over the border into England.

He lives roughly 20 miles from Carlisle.

The church is already planted in two ( knocked through) cottages. It looks pretty from the outside. (Website pic), if that actually is the church and not the pastors house. Website not very clear.

The family attends there, also Jody appears to have preached there a couple of times. He isn't posting much that I can find. The church website isn't very exciting either.

I get the feeling that Jody is trying to attach himself to any church that will have him. Glasgow, Dundee now Carlisle in England!

My tech abilities crappy. Maybe  Scottish FJer could post links?

He can't move to Carlisle. He is a missionary to poor bedevilled Scotland. Even his poor deluded griftees may notice if he did/does move over the border into England.
The church is already planted in two ( knocked through) cottages. It looks pretty from the outside. (Website pic), if that actually is the church and not the pastors house. Website not very clear.
The family attends there, also Jody appears to have preached there a couple of times. He isn't posting much that I can find. The church website isn't very exciting either.
I get the feeling that Jody is trying to attach himself to any church that will have him. Glasgow, Dundee now Carlisle in England!
My tech abilities crappy. Maybe  Scottish FJer could post links?

You give Jody's flock more credit than I do - I was thinking they likely wouldn't know Carlisle was just across the border into England lol.

I think you are right about finding a church explaining their many moves. I just feel bad for the kids being uprooted so much in such a short span of time.

On 29 December 2016 at 5:30 AM, Peas n carrots said:

You give Jody's flock more credit than I do - I was thinking they likely wouldn't know Carlisle was just across the border into England lol.

I think you are right about finding a church explaining their many moves. I just feel bad for the kids being uprooted so much in such a short span of time.

Sadly parents like Jody don't seem to care about their kids being moved around/ not having a stable everyday life. He is 'working' for Jesus. Therefore all ok.

Hmmmm.

Jody has posted birthday wishes for both his daughters. I'm guessing that Autunm is 13/14 years old. Savannah has just turned 7.

Jody and Ginger have lovely kids. I'm hoping that the kids don't suffer in any way because of the life their daft lazy lump of a father is providing for them.

The Hodnetts spent appeared to have spent new year in Bellevue (smallish town, pop just over 6,000), Cumbria in England. Not sure why. Possibly invited as guests?

Jody seems silent. No posts at all really. I do have a feeling that all is not well with the missionary to Scotland nonsense. 

Lets hope that common sense reigns, Ginger will insist on moving back to the USA ASAP. 

The family will at least be close to relatives and friends whilst Jody finds a Job to support his family.

The three Hodnett children deserve that at least.

On 06/01/2017 at 10:15 AM, Gobsmacked said:

Jody has posted birthday wishes for both his daughters. I'm guessing that Autunm is 13/14 years old. Savannah has just turned 7.

Jody and Ginger have lovely kids. I'm hoping that the kids don't suffer in any way because of the life their daft lazy lump of a father is providing for them.

The Hodnetts spent appeared to have spent new year in Bellevue (smallish town, pop just over 6,000), Cumbria in England. Not sure why. Possibly invited as guests?

Jody seems silent. No posts at all really. I do have a feeling that all is not well with the missionary to Scotland nonsense. 

Lets hope that common sense reigns, Ginger will insist on moving back to the USA ASAP. 

The family will at least be close to relatives and friends whilst Jody finds a Job to support his family.

The three Hodnett children deserve that at least.

Scotland and Northern England are places known for their good hospitality and I hope at least the kids are made to feel welcome but we don't like people coming over here trying to spread more religious hate, when we are still living with to an extent religious hate in some parts. I've had it myself just for wearing a Celtic top when I was younger.

Having just plucked up courage to watch Jody preaching last August before arriving in Scotland, I suspect that he may be returning home earlier than he expects.

He has posted nothing about the church in Carlisle, his new house or what he is actually doing.

Just photos of food, addresses of food outlets he has eaten in and photos/birthday wishes of/to his family. His kids are beautiful. Hope Ginger has managed to get a job? Not sure if her Visa would allow it. 

I am mightily puzzled, how are they surviving?

Has he been promised a sum of money to be carefully budgeted, or is he receiving a monthly 'salary' from his sheeple?

Answers please Jody!!!!!!!!!! 

On 12/29/2016 at 2:01 AM, Gobsmacked said:

I thought they're in Dundee? Dundee is a three hour drive from Carlisle. 

He moved to Lockerbie. He hasn't said why yet. He has preached in a baptist church in Carlisle a few times according to the church Facebook. 

Sorry im not tech savvy and can't post a link on my phone. I've also got horrible jet lag which isn't helping!

Jody has a letter up on his Reaching Scotland Facebook page.

The house in Dundee wasn't suitable for the family so God redirected Jody's heart to live in Lockerbie instead. Hmmmmm.

Ginger hasn't been having a good time and I do genuinely feel sorry for her. Seems that she has twice fallen down some stairs and now has her arm in a sling. She also had flu. I hope God redirects her heart to take her kids home as her mum is unwell with a tumour on her brain stem.

Free Ginger I think.

Jody didn't mention the church they have been attending at all.

He is having chats with a big red haired Scotsman about God though so that's something. 

There is a big Please help us message at the bottom of the letter, complete with their full address.

Sorry I haven't got the tech skills to post the letter.

I feel kind of sorry for the Hodnetts. They lack the grifting skills of John Schrader and Lori Alexander among others. It's too bad they wouldn't write a How-To book he could use.

Not really, but think of the sales.

Book writing is hard work. 

Also, something tells me that they don't call Scots "canny" for no reason. I'm sure they have figured out his number early on.

Folk in Scotland are hard working and friendly.

They won't take any nonsense or flannel though.  Jody is going to have to figure that out quickly if he wants to start a church in Lockerbie . I'm guessing that his plan is to do that. 

Just where the money is going to come from to even to rent a building and pay for insurance, heating, lighting etc is anyone's guess.

The congregation at the Lighthouse church seems very small judging from photos of their church social nights posted on the Facebook page. The lighthouse church seems to have been around prior to 2010. 

Jody is going to have to work very hard to find a congregation of his own and make the church pay as it were. His sheeple back home surely can't keep financing him forever.

28 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

Folk in Scotland are hard working and friendly.

Why thank you @Gobsmacked :)

I think I actually heard about this guy being in Dundee from some fundy lite friends of mine. From what I gather people didn't take him too seriously.

Most Baptist Churches are small here, the majority of church going Scots are either Catholic or Church of Scotland. 

Also, I hope they pay a visit to my home town and visit The David Livingstone Museum. I loved going their as a kid and it is educational for children. Behind the museum across the river Clyde is Bothwell Castle, it's a ruin now but it had links to Mary Queen of Scots through her last husband the Earl of Bothwell. Two trips in one go.

12 minutes ago, unsafetydancer said:

Why thank you @Gobsmacked :)

I think I actually heard about this guy being in Dundee from some fundy lite friends of mine. From what I gather people didn't take him too seriously.

Could you find out more. For research purposes of course!

@Gobsmacked I will try to. I only really know one of those guys well, I used to work with her. From talking to her I think that she's on the very lite side of fundamentalism. She didn't try to help me "find Jesus" or tell me I'm going to hell but she posts an awful lot of religious quotes and motivational stuff on Facebook. I remember her mentioning thins guy's name and that she thought he was a bit weird but not much else. Next time I see her I can do a bit of digging but she recently had a son so we don't have so much time to chat now.

ETA, scrolling through some pictures of this guy in my hometown is weird because I think I might actually have helped him find the nearest ATM one night when I was possibly mildly inibreated. Funny old world.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived