IGNORED

Dilldereal 18

SpoonfulOSugar

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

Ours has always been in the bottom 10% of the growth chart. Her father calls her that. I think it's probably still pretty unique, though. Those are the only two I know of. 

Ours has just gotten on the growth chart, I'm sure she'll slip off again though! Her ped isn't worried, she's just going to be small. Her mother and I are only 5 feet tall, and my mother was only 4'8". I love that we both share "little bits"!  :my_biggrin:

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

lol.....I forgot Lizard. My son calls her that.

Lizard Breath.

Bethlehem, piece of Ham.

Yeah - lots of nicknames around that name.

35 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Lizard Breath.

Bethlehem, piece of Ham.

Yeah - lots of nicknames around that name.

As odd as this sounds, there is a special place in my heart for Lizard Breath. That's what was used in one of my all-time favorite comics, For Better or For Worse. (I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried when Farley, the dog died.)

That was one of my favorite comics, too. I don't like some of the new ones, the drawings are quite ugly.

11 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I'm so happy you did that. Fallacy of wrong direction, where cause and effect are reversed, drives me just wild. It's also an illusory correlation. But perhaps he didn't study that in phlebotomy school.

I don't think he was paying attention in phlebotomy school. At least, he acted like he had zero shits to give. I think he was going to try an even bigger attitude with me, but the color drained from him when I said my husband, who was with me, is a nurse. Oh shit man!

Before he even started, while he was checking my veins, he said something about me being dehydrated. I said that I have HG and he said I needed to find something I could keep down. I said it doesn't work that way, and he ignored me. That's when I knew I was going to be in for it. :/

7 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

I don't think he was paying attention in phlebotomy school. At least, he acted like he had zero shits to give. I think he was going to try an even bigger attitude with me, but the color drained from him when I said my husband, who was with me, is a nurse. Oh shit man!

Before he even started, while he was checking my veins, he said something about me being dehydrated. I said that I have HG and he said I needed to find something I could keep down. I said it doesn't work that way, and he ignored me. That's when I knew I was going to be in for it. :/

He sounds quite arrogant. Hopefully his cumupance (sp) is very soon.

8 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

Maybe he thought it would be an easy steady job. He certainly has a lot to learn to progress in his career.

Drawing blood and starting IV's is an art. Some people have it and some don't. And some people are just down right mean and make it worse than it has to be.

@PercySomething to be proud of....really it is. I have drawn blood, started IV's, and inserted catheters on patients from minutes old to 100+ years old. All have their challenges. I have to admit, I was the one everyone called to start IV's on hard patients. Even the ICU nurses called me on occasion. Nothing makes an ED nurse feel better than having an ICU nurse call for help....lol. My rule for neonates and peds patients, try once, then call me. Do not use up all the sites.

This thread drift is making me woozy :ew: I could never be a nurse or piercer of flesh. Bless you.

1 hour ago, Chickenbutt said:

@PercySomething to be proud of....really it is. I have drawn blood, started IV's, and inserted catheters on patients from minutes old to 100+ years old. All have their challenges. I have to admit, I was the one everyone called to start IV's on hard patients. Even the ICU nurses called me on occasion. Nothing makes an ED nurse feel better than having an ICU nurse call for help....lol. My rule for neonates and peds patients, try once, then call me. Do not use up all the sites.

I wish I had a nurse who could stick me easily. Whenever I go to donate blood I get nurses who will poke me and then dig around with the needle to the point my arm is bruised way worse then when go to Jiu Jitsu for 2 weeks straight. 

Whenever I have to have blood drawn, I always compliment the phlebotomist if they do a good job. Figure they don't get enough recognition.

1 hour ago, kjmackin said:

I wish I had a nurse who could stick me easily. Whenever I go to donate blood I get nurses who will poke me and then dig around with the needle to the point my arm is bruised way worse then when go to Jiu Jitsu for 2 weeks straight. 

I will not permit digging. I know I am a difficult draw and I state up front, you have one chance. I sometimes ask for the most experienced person up front. I have found experience makes a world of difference. But if somebody tries to move and dig....bitch slappin' time! I too bruise horribly, and it hurts, and I ain't having it! 

56 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Whenever I have to have blood drawn, I always compliment the phlebotomist if they do a good job. Figure they don't get enough recognition.

Same. If I come out of having my blood drawn or donating with little problems I always praise them. 

Although I hate to admit this bit but an old music teacher I had for piano recommend going for the phlebotomist who was of darker skin tone if you can cause they are likely to have less issues poking you. 

Although I have an old friend from High School who works as a phlebotomist this day told some lovely stories of getting revenge on old classmates by poking them more than what was needed. 

Just now, kjmackin said:

Same. If I come out of having my blood drawn or donating with little problems I always praise them. 

Although I hate to admit this bit but an old music teacher I had for piano recommend going for the phlebotomist who was of darker skin tone if you can cause they are likely to have less issues poking you. 

I praise also, and it's very heartfelt!

But, I don't understand the darker skin tone thing. Hasn't been my experience that skin tone has anything to do woth proficiency. Please explain.

No complaints from my patients thus far so I take that as a good sign. My one beef is when I'm watching them draw on Mr Wolfie or my kids and they don't do it right.  I tell whoever is doing my draw to use the right side only, butterfly it and use the wrap instead of the tape. Those who didn't believe me on the butterfly were promptly re-visited by me a few days later to show them my very bruised arm, worse when I was on blood-thinners.

I have drawn Mr. Butt's blood multiple times as he is also a hard stick. When my kids where little and hospitalized (many times for asthma), I always started their IV's and drew their blood at the same time. A blind phlebo could it my veins!

Butterflys are great, but different people are more confident with different methods.  I'd rather have someone using what there're most confident with then something which tends to work better but they're not as happy with.

Also different equipment depending on the quality of the vein and the amount of blood needed, and sadly what can be found on the ward - try finding a butterfly on some of the wards I work on.

I don't know about the US system, but you have to love that in the UK for inpatients if a nurse or phlebotomist isn't available to take blood or tries and fails, they'll call the doctor to do it.  That doctor will be the most junior one with far less experience taking blood then people who've done if for years being asked to do the tricky ones :shakehead2:.  They get very good, very quickly but you don't want to go into hospital with bad veins in August (when the new graduates are busy getting good).

Personally I love an old fashioned needle and syringe (or butterfly and syringe when I can get hold of one), it means you can re-position if the vein starts to go.  I find having to re-bleed after the patient has seen me get some blood but not enough, can often be worse than missing completely and with a syringe I can often get the vein back.

I'm willing to let students have a chance, but the girl who tried to start my IV when I was in labor with my son....after 5  attempts I'd had enough. She couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! She messed up so bad they had to put it in my left hand instead. My arm was purple from mid-forearm up past my elbow.

My MIL was my first live stick (for those not familiar, in my school we had a training dummy you had to draw successfully like 50x first), as she was my instructor.  When Mr Wolfie started at our school he was always volunteered so I've tapped that man like beer keg LOL.  I won't do my kids unless its dire and whoever else is there is just completely incapable. I'm trained to start an IV in an emergency but I hate doing it because it wasn't like, a focus for our course.   Once I get my student loans dealt with I'm thinking about changing from medical assistant to EMT.

I'm with you, @CharlieInCharge.  Hate seeing or talking about needles and blood.  When my youngest was born 16 years ago I fainted when they were going to put a cannula in to induce me.  Luckily for me they did everything they needed to do while I was unconscious.  I have managed to drive both my kids to hospital for stitches when needed, but had to close my eyes when they were stitched up, had blood tests etc.  I've tried not to pass on my phobia, but a heightened vasovagal response seems to be hereditory - I blame my mum for mine.

8 minutes ago, Karma said:

I'm with you, @CharlieInCharge.  Hate seeing or talking about needles and blood.  When my youngest was born 16 years ago I fainted when they were going to put a cannula in to induce me.  Luckily for me they did everything they needed to do while I was unconscious.  I have managed to drive both my kids to hospital for stitches when needed, but had to close my eyes when they were stitched up, had blood tests etc.  I've tried not to pass on my phobia, but a heightened vasovagal response seems to be hereditory - I blame my mum for mine.

Hey, heightened vasovagal response can have its perks. A friend of mine was riding economy on a very long-haul flight and decided to watch 127 Hours. When she got to the amputation scene, she passed out, which earned her the next ten hours of the flight in a nice lie-flat seat in First Class.

Same thing happened to my mum on a long haul flight, without the movie, although she didn't get her "upgrade". Instead they  moved her seat companions so she could lie down in her economy seat.   She had a very relaxed rest of her flight.

I started watching that movie on a flight but had to fast forward through the amputation scene with my eyes closed....maybe I should have kept watching...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived