IGNORED

Sister Wives: 4 Wives, 4 Threads - It's Karma!

Sorry, I know I have way too much to say about this show, but I just thought about something else and had to post. Who the hell is this therapist they see?? I really wonder about her credentials because no licensed therapist I've ever met would consider having a session with someone on national television, not to mention just look past the obviously unhealthy situation they are in.

I really want to know more about Nancy. Did TLC just pay her to play a therapist on TV? The whole thing is so weird. 

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

Sorry, I know I have way too much to say about this show, but I just thought about something else and had to post. Who the hell is this therapist they see?? I really wonder about her credentials because no licensed therapist I've ever met would consider having a session with someone on national television, not to mention just look past the obviously unhealthy situation they are in.

I really want to know more about Nancy. Did TLC just pay her to play a therapist on TV? The whole thing is so weird. 

I have wondered about Nancy as well. One the one hand, I guess it's good they do therapy, but I think they really need someone less passive. Some people, I'm looking at you Meri, Kody and Robyn, really need to be called out on their shite. YKWIM?

54 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

Who the hell is this therapist they see?? I really wonder about her credentials because no licensed therapist I've ever met would consider having a session with someone on national television, not to mention just look past the obviously unhealthy situation they are in.

I am an LCSW (clinical social worker) and it would be a COLD day in hell before I would ever do any kind of "therapy" like that in any public situation.  It goes completely against not only my professional ethics, but also my own personal ethics.  I have a feeling that this person is not actually licensed with any professional organization save for, possibly, a religious one whose credentialing power would not hold muster.  The majority of these religious "therapists" really do not have a set of professional ethics to follow, and no actual true accreditation, thus they can go on television shows, ignore serious issues, etc.....for some money in their pocket and not have to answer to anyone.

22 minutes ago, vspielman said:

I am an LCSW (clinical social worker) and it would be a COLD day in hell before I would ever do any kind of "therapy" like that in any public situation.  It goes completely against not only my professional ethics, but also my own personal ethics.  I have a feeling that this person is not actually licensed with any professional organization save for, possibly, a religious one whose credentialing power would not hold muster.  The majority of these religious "therapists" really do not have a set of professional ethics to follow, and no actual true accreditation, thus they can go on television shows, ignore serious issues, etc.....for some money in their pocket and not have to answer to anyone.

Does anything Nancy do look like real therapy?   I mean the exercises she has them do, real question, not snark. 

I have always hoped they had real therapy off camera and that Nancy is just looking like a fool/playing soft for the cameras.

I have been in couples therapy for two years with my husband - it's much more in depth than that!

37 minutes ago, vspielman said:

Which is ridiculous because these people need therapy! This Nancy is doing sweet shag all for them as far as I can tell. Kody is the same douche that he always was and it has to be mortifying to have him as a father. Those poor kids. 

I finished watching the latest episode. I was surprised that Kody took some responsibility for Meri's seeking a relationship outside the marriage. However, not surprisingly he won't come out and say it was an emotional affair and I feel he wants Mariah to just rug sweep the whole thing. Since that is what Meri wants, she has stated she wants Mariah to just get over it and she, Meri, is tired of the drama. In order to help that happen, they are sending Mariah to...Nancy. 

I am hoping Nancy validates Mariah. Meri needs to admit she had an emotional affair and in front of her daughter. Then apologize to Mariah. I think that would go a long way in fixing her relationship with Mariah. What is more important, her pride or her relationship with her daughter?  

No way in hell is that real therapy. Therapy is seriously hard work. Not for all the gold in the kingdom would a real therapist or therapy clients want it filmed. It's rough, painful, and downright ugly at times. I learned quickly how difficult it was to shake it off and try to go to work afterward.

So, I looked her up, because I was too curious and according to some press stuff her last name is Huntington and there is a licensed therapist by that name in Las Vegas that's pretty highly rated. But I wasn't able to find out all that much more about her. 

That just raises further questions :562479a50dc4d_Tahhell..confused:

14 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

So, I looked her up, because I was too curious and according to some press stuff her last name is Huntington and there is a licensed therapist by that name in Las Vegas that's pretty highly rated. But I wasn't able to find out all that much more about her. 

That just raises further questions :562479a50dc4d_Tahhell..confused:

Wow that does raise a lot of questions. So do they just film for giggles and leave the real therapy for non show related time? weird. Very weird. 

32 minutes ago, IreneIssh said:

Do you have a link for her being a licensed therapist?

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Do you have a link for her being a licensed therapist?

I just realized I wrote that wrong. I have to stop using this tablet. :562479860ab45_MangryX(: But, I should have cited my sources to begin with, so sorry about that

Her last name is Hunterton according to this people article and her name shows up sans picture here and she's in an article here where they do show a picture. She's listed as a family and marriage therapist so it looks kinda legit. 

I liked Mariah this episode. I could relate to her feelings about her parents not being perfect and struggling with that. I went through that stage as a young adult where you realize your parents are just people and the have flaws. This is more of an extreme situation, but I think it still applies. I think she just wants to hear her mom say "I did love this person online. I may have even considered leaving my marriage for him. I'm sorry. Please tell me how I can rebuild my trust with you". Meri seems to very badly want to deny the seriousness of it all. Kody also would rather it be over and done with. I think Mariah has very black and white view of wrong vs right and would like to hear her mom own up to it all. 

I feel so bad for Mykelti. I truly feel like they are portraying her love life as a big joke. I hope that Tony is just getting a bad edit, and that he is  less awkward in real life. I also find it a weird choice of words, that they have repeated several times in the show now, Tony makes Mykelti feel safe. I wonder how safe Mykelti felt in her family. 

Like several others here, I thought Mariah was expressing her feelings well in the conversation with Kody. I cannot believe Kody told her that her mom would die if Mariah didn't forgive her. 

Also Janelle and Meri didn't even acknowledge each other when putting out the trash?! What?! I get that they are not best friends, but this makes it seem like the whole sister wives thing is nothing more then sharing a husband *insert rolling eyes*

Mariah understands that, if the catfish had been real, Meri would be long gone. Neither Kody or Meri will admit that. Mariah is hurt and disappointed that her mother had an affair. Kody makes excuses, and Meri minimizes it all. They should leave Mariah alone and let her come to terms with it on her own, however long it takes. 

2 hours ago, mstee said:

I liked Mariah this episode. I could relate to her feelings about her parents not being perfect and struggling with that. I went through that stage as a young adult where you realize your parents are just people and the have flaws. This is more of an extreme situation, but I think it still applies. I think she just wants to hear her mom say "I did love this person online. I may have even considered leaving my marriage for him. I'm sorry. Please tell me how I can rebuild my trust with you". Meri seems to very badly want to deny the seriousness of it all. Kody also would rather it be over and done with. I think Mariah has very black and white view of wrong vs right and would like to hear her mom own up to it all. 

I thought Mariah was being a brat here.  She isn't a child, shes and adult and needs to realize her mom isn't perfect and makes mistakes. Yes Meri was having an emotional affair, however like Kody said, this person preyed on the family and attacked their weakest link. While Mariah is off living her life (which I'm not giving her a hard time about) and enjoying being young is expecting her mom to sit around waiting for Kody to have some free time to spend a few hours with Meri.  

I kind of feel bad for Meri, think of it, she is a woman who suffers from infertility in a plural marriage surrounded by fertile sister wives.  In the span of 2 years Meri went from being the 1st wife, the only legally married wife & having Mariah at home. Then Mariah graduated and left for college she had to divorce Kody so he & Robin could marry, then Robin has ANOTHER baby and Meri is over in her house, alone. Kody is spending all his time with the 3 other wives and those kids, dealing with Madison's wedding, new baby, and 2 handfuls for teen/tweenage kids,  there is always something more important to take Kody's attention.  She's been alone for 2 years, and no one seemed to see how hard it was for her.  Yes Janelle & Kristine have older kids, but they also have 5 other kids at home. Meri only has Mariah.  I had a breakdown (literally) when my oldest finished HS, it is a HUGE adjustment.  So essentially Meri went from being mom and 1st wife to being an empty nester & the 4th wife.  

Yeah Mery has issues but I think her biggest was she didn't really want to be in a plural marriage. 

After I watched the show this week, I then thought about the real situation, four women sharing a husband, I am just once again grossed out. And all the rest, the catfishing, Mykelti and Tony....well, I really just am at a loss for words. A train wreck. 

48 minutes ago, SummerRocks said:

I feel so bad for Mykelti. I truly feel like they are portraying her love life as a big joke. I hope that Tony is just getting a bad edit, and that he is  less awkward in real life. I also find it a weird choice of words, that they have repeated several times in the show now, Tony makes Mykelti feel safe. I wonder how safe Mykelti felt in her family.

I think it would be normal for parents to be concerned but it does seem like a joke because of the TV show. Tony, however, is not doing himself any favours by coming across as a big douchebag. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:39 PM, vspielman said:

*snip*
The majority of these religious "therapists" really do not have a set of professional ethics to follow, and no actual true accreditation, thus they can go on television shows, ignore serious issues, etc.....for some money in their pocket and not have to answer to anyone.

When I was eighteen, I was engaged to an abusive man (I know, I know ~).  Well, there were a lot of things going on in my life, not just that, so a family friend helped me find a local therapist.  It was cheaper to find one that was "just about to graduate", so not technically licensed, but specializing in teens.  It was also a religious therapy office (which being Christian, I felt would be a good mix). 

However, when I was in tears trying to explain how my fiance was making me do things sexually that I didn't want to - she interrupted me, and I guess assumed it was a matter of him strongly coercing me, and not you know assault - and said, "You know God that doesn't like that, right?"  I was so floored, and felt so shamed, that though I'm obviously completely biased, I would never recommend an unlicensed religious graduate student as your therapist - because sadly, there really is no accountability. 

I'm glad there's people like you, who take their professional ethics seriously!

On 12/5/2016 at 5:07 PM, Scribber said:

I have always hoped they had real therapy off camera and that Nancy is just looking like a fool/playing soft for the cameras.

I have been in couples therapy for two years with my husband - it's much more in depth than that!

I've been in couples therapy for almost two years as well!  It's sometimes nice to be able to find some lighthearted moments to laugh and bond over in a session - but most of the time, it's raw, and vulnerable, and emotional - and I couldn't imagine having even one of my sessions shared publicly.  I'd be mortified!

Wow! I can't believe I am going to write this, but I am sticking up for Mariah on this point. She is an adult now, but she is still at an age where she is finding her own way. For Meri and kody to expect Mariah to just forgive and get over the cat fish thing is not realistic  she is expects to deal with all these adult issues when she really isn't quite there and she knows it  I believe michala is acting more like an adult than kody or Mari  I have been in a similar situation with a parent and the parent will never get it because he is too immature and self centered to see things from a different perspective

28 minutes ago, vspielman said:

I'm deeply sorry that happened to you. :my_heart:

Thank you <3

I will say, with my brother's special needs, I have met amazing people in the human services field, and would say a good 90% are wonderful, and competent, hard workers who genuinely will do everything they can to help others (even when their case loads are ridiculous!).  And for anyone wondering, my experience is more of a rarity than the norm (thank God), and hopefully I haven't dissuaded anyone from seeking help if they need it.  I'll share I've been in marriage counseling for almost two years, and my therapist is wonderful - though I'm still not ready for a onexone experience yet (and it's been 13 years since that incident) <-- I might need to bring that up at our next appointment =p

Thanks FJ for being a safe place to be vulnerable *hugs*

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I thought Mariah was being a brat here.  She isn't a child, shes and adult and needs to realize her mom isn't perfect and makes mistakes. Yes Meri was having an emotional affair, however like Kody said, this person preyed on the family and attacked their weakest link. While Mariah is off living her life (which I'm not giving her a hard time about) and enjoying being young is expecting her mom to sit around waiting for Kody to have some free time to spend a few hours with Meri. 

I didn't think that Mariah was being a brat, I think that her parents are being brats. Kody neglected Meri and she chose to find someone else who flattered her. She made a mistake and continued to despite Mariah's warnings. Mariah told her what was happening and she chose to completely ignore it. They may have been "preyed on" but the warning signs were there, they were just completely ignored. 

Meri had a very serious emotional affair, Kody is caught up in his own problems; these are the parents that Mariah is supposed to depend on to help her find her way. I don't blame the poor girl for being upset, her parents are acting more childish than most children. They both pout and sulk, thinking that they will get their way. It's not fair to Mariah. 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I didn't think that Mariah was being a brat, I think that her parents are being brats. Kody neglected Meri and she chose to find someone else who flattered her. She made a mistake and continued to despite Mariah's warnings. Mariah told her what was happening and she chose to completely ignore it. They may have been "preyed on" but the warning signs were there, they were just completely ignored. 

Meri had a very serious emotional affair, Kody is caught up in his own problems; these are the parents that Mariah is supposed to depend on to help her find her way. I don't blame the poor girl for being upset, her parents are acting more childish than most children. They both pout and sulk, thinking that they will get their way. It's not fair to Mariah. 

Plus, Mariah has the right to be upset. Let her get over it in her time. I bet she will get over it quicker if they acknowledged her feelings.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived