IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

:my_heart::my_heart::my_heart::my_heart::my_heart:

Enjoy! It's really quite fascinating to get his POV on the whole program. 

True fact: I grew up near the original home of the Space Task Group. I've met a few astronauts and made an ass out of myself meeting one of my heroes...Christopher Kraft. I also won an in-depth tour of NASA Langley for being able to name the original Mercury 7 astronauts. 

On 21/06/2016 at 10:02 PM, Grimalkin said:

@Lydia What do you think of the Victorian practice for pelvic massage to treat women's hysteria.image.jpeg

I actually love the moment of dawning horror when I tell people about these types of therapies...

Why yes, I am a terrible, terrible person  :evil-laugh:

On 01/08/2016 at 7:19 PM, Palimpsest said:

Me too!  

Other music I clean to is Queen.  And (shhh, please don't tell anyone my dirty secret) but when I spring clean I have been known to blast out ABBA's greatest hits!  :mrgreen:

I hoover to the soundtrack of Grease :pb_lol:

Okay, I have been holding back and thinking about exactly how I would like to address darling lady @Lydia here....

I strongly believe that you are not living in reality what so ever here.  Please let me give you a day in mine and my fiance's life as an example.  

We are both in our late 20's, university educated and we both have full time jobs.  We own a home and are planning our wedding for next fall.  I am a physically disabled person.  I use a wheelchair to get around but that has not stopped me from doing anything.  We are also looking after a recuse dog and cat.  The dog has injuries from being hit by a car and requires our care.  With our help she is recovering wonderfully.

So @Lydia, sweetheart, with all of this going on in our lives, I still have enough time to cook a real supper every night.  Cleaning our home only takes me about 2 hours in a evening after work and I can't even walk, dear.  So really, I think you are fucking delusional.  

Get your head out of you butt, go buy some pants, get a job, take a few courses and join 2016!  You're an embarrassment to all women out there!  

On August 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM, PennySycamore said:

I used to clean my kitchen on Saturday afternoons while listening to the Metropolitan Opera on the radio.  I need to start doing that again.  I typically have the PBS cooking shows on then.  

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! Have you seen "The Great British Baking Show" on PBS?? It airs Saturday afternoons and Friday nights in my market, and it's absolutely addicting!

@Caribou, I LOVE The Great British Baking Show!   I'd missed some episodes but I was able to binge watch most of this season on Sunday afternoon.  It airs here on Friday evenings.  

I've fallen in love with the Neff Hide and Slide ovens they have on the show.  Genius!  Perfect for small kitchens or small people.  I had trouble reaching things in my daughter's wall oven.  Neff is owned by BSH which also owns Bosch, Thermador and Gaggenau so maybe one of those brands will adapt that technology.  I am going with a Thermador wall oven in my reno but it will probably be under the cooktop. 

On August 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Sobeknofret said:

I usually clean to the uplifting sounds of the Clash or the Ramones. Cooking is strictly the Beatles. :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

I do the same thing with the same music,  Sobeknofret. :)

When we have company on thanksgiving I usually make this turkey recipe. It's awesome. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apricot-glazed-turkey-with-roasted-onion-and-shallot-gravy-2602

I make it while listening to one of my guilty pleasures, Aerosmith's Draw the Line album.  I almost think It's necessary for the turkey to turn out well.  They should put it in the recipe! ;)

9 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I do the same thing with the same music,  Sobeknofret. :)

When we have company on thanksgiving I usually make this turkey recipe. It's awesome. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apricot-glazed-turkey-with-roasted-onion-and-shallot-gravy-2602

I make it while listening to one of my guilty pleasures, Aerosmith's Draw the Line album.  I almost think It's necessary for the turkey to turn out well.  They should put it in the recipe! ;)

Thanksgiving cooking here is always kicked off with the ceremonial playing of Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie- no exceptions. The looooong version :D After that it's the folk rock station on Pandora, because we all like that one.

That turkey recipe looks amazing though; I love glazed meats, so I may have to try that recipe. I wonder if it would be ok on a turkey breast instead of a whole bird

On 8/2/2016 at 3:38 PM, feministxtian said:

@Black Aliss - as requested

I know what I'm showing my older daughter when she gets home from school today!! 

@Sobeknofret, listening to Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving has been a tradition of mine for years.  WNCW, the very cool public radio station in Spindale, NC always plays it several times during the day.  

18 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Sobeknofret, listening to Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving has been a tradition of mine for years.  WNCW, the very cool public radio station in Spindale, NC always plays it several times during the day.  

When my dad died, he only had a couple of things he had earmarked for specific people  (he died very suddenly). My son got his collection of Hong Kong martial arts movies. I got the family copy of the Alice's Restaurant album  :D

On 8/4/2016 at 7:41 AM, Sobeknofret said:

Thanksgiving cooking here is always kicked off with the ceremonial playing of Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie- no exceptions. The looooong version :D After that it's the folk rock station on Pandora, because we all like that one.

Our ritual is to play it right after the meal.

Well her new video is about a family day care. If you have umpteen kids I suppose it would work like the D's or the N's where the oldest take care of the littles. She talks about not hurrying the baby to wake up. I wonder if she thinks people who use daycares rush the child out of bed and hurry to get dressed, fed, and out the door. Ok, some do, but we never had that problem. 

Both of my kids were up before their dad or I when they were toddlers. Even when my daughter was in a leg brace to keep her legs straight and not be pigeon toed, she could flop her way out of the crib and make it to the side of the bed and wake me up. 

We weren't very structured except at lunch time. Then we had a routine: Paddington Bear, Curious George, Eureka's Castle, and Winnie the Pooh, not necessarily in that order. We'd get our sandwiches or soup, fruit drink, and sit and watch the adventures and share what was happening. Daddy didn't get in on it because he was working. I worked when they napped, played inside and watched Disney movies. They listened to smooth jazz on a timer at night and slept well. 

OT: Next Thanksgiving I am getting the long version of Alice's Restaurant and playing it after dinner (we always go to my mom's and she can't hear well so she wouldn't enjoy it and my step brother would make rude comments.)

On August 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM, refugee said:

I've found the most wonderful app for my phone that reads webpages aloud...

What app is this, and how well does it work? I may be interested in getting it too!

On 8/1/2016 at 11:23 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm a grad student and I actually use cleaning as a procrastination/calming activity. It takes just enough brainpower to stimulate me, involves getting up and moving around, and I accomplish something by doing it. Plus it's an excuse to crank up my guilty pleasure playlist and dance around while sweeping the floor or cleaning the shower. But alas, I occupy too much of my ladybrain with thoughts of linguistics and education policy, and I don't put doilies on everything, so I have failed at femininity.

I'm also legitimately one of the messiest people in the world, while my fiance is a raging germaphobe, so there's also some drastically different standards for what passes as "clean" going on. 

I do like to fold laundry when I'm stressed though!

And alas my brains choc full of political science, so no room up there for doilies. :my_rolleyes:   

On 8/8/2016 at 7:42 PM, anniebgood said:

She talks about not hurrying the baby to wake up. I wonder if she thinks people who use daycares rush the child out of bed and hurry to get dressed, fed, and out the door. Ok, some do, but we never had that problem. 

I actually do know several families who do this.  They put their toddlers to bed at 6 pm every weeknight so they can have them up at 6 and at daycare at 7, picked up by 5.  I'm not sure when or if they spend any time at all with them during the week.  I know they refuse to take the kids to any events at 6 pm or later because the kids have to be sleeping by then.  One of them is a single mom without much outside help so I see the need for a schedule that goes more by her work needs, but in another case, both parents work and there are grandparents/relatives living nearby who often babysit.

Ahh! "The Great British Baking Show" must be what we called Great British Bake Off. With Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, amirite? 

I first got into it in my first year at uni, when (due to living in catered halls (dorms)) I only had access to a microwave. Right now I'm supposed to be losing weight so watching a show where they're baking biscuits and cake isn't really the best idea... 

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Ahh! "The Great British Baking Show" must be what we called Great British Bake Off. With Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry, amirite? 

I first got into it in my first year at uni, when (due to living in catered halls (dorms)) I only had access to a microwave. Right now I'm supposed to be losing weight so watching a show where they're baking biscuits and cake isn't really the best idea... 

Yep, The Great British Baking Show is the same as the Great British Bake Off.  I just watched the finale last Friday.  Mary and Paul said that it as the finale ever.  All three bakers baked superb cakes in the showstopper round.  i suppose you've seen the finale but I'll put the results here under a spoiler if anyone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler

Nadiya, Tamal and Ian were the finalists.  The three bakers were asked to bake classic British cakes in a multi-layered presentation.  Ian baked a carrot cake which was Paul declared was the best one he'd ever eaten, Tamal made an outstanding sticky toffee pudding cafe and Nadiya made a wedding cake since she'd not had one at her wedding in Bangladesh. It was her My Big Fat British Wedding Cake, She even made her own fondant.  Nadiya was the winner!

I was very impressed that two of the finale contestants -Nadiya and Tamal- reflected the Great Britain of the Empire and Ian was English.  How fitting for the GBBO to show that diversity!  Nadia, btw, is from Luton where we have relatives and has since moved to Milton Keynes where we also have family.

On 8/3/2016 at 2:52 AM, feministxtian said:

I also won an in-depth tour of NASA Langley for being able to name the original Mercury 7 astronauts. 

@feminisxtian: Once, on my first tour of Arlington Cemetery, I made my then boyfriend walk around that place over and over, looking for the burial place of my personal hero, Virgil (Gus) Grissom. I knew the plots were numbered, I knew his number, and I knew the lines were in numerical order. But Grissom, White, and Chaffee are NOT in numerical order. It was a very hot summer day, and I was dehydrated, and about to give up, when I turned once more. As soon as I saw the site ,  (there was a tree I remembered immediately)  I flashed back to the televised burial. It was a horrible rainy day that day.

And since that tour, I've had a photograph of Gus Grissom's gravestone on my library shelves, for inspiration. Four and I have been married nearly 30 years, (this year!) so it's been a pretty long time since that search.

One of the three is not buried at Arlington. I believe it is Ed White who was buried at West Point. 

@Four is Enough, I think that Gus and Betty Grissom were treated horribly in not being invited to the White House after his Mercury flight where his capsule sank.   The previous Mercury astronauts and their wives were invited, but not Gus and Betty.  I don't know  who was behind this, but it was shitty thing to do.  It was shittier still that NASA basically cut Betty as well as Chaffee's and White's widows off after their husbands were killed in that terrible fire on Apollo 1.  

@feministxtian,  you are correct about Ed White being buried at West Point.  He'd graduated from the Military Academy been though he joined the Air Force after graduation.

Archived