IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

On September 18, 2016 at 5:18 AM, Palimpsest said:

Lady Lydia is only in her late 50s.  I remember being very surprised when I found out she was younger than I am because she comes over as such a doddering old fool.

She just turned 64 or 65, can't remember which. she's just a touch older than I am, I've said before she acts like my grandma did with the pearl clutching. I just read a thread on Ravelry where she's supporting someone who I assume is Candy Brauer under a pseudonym and calling out a Wiccan who called Candy out. The Bless Your Heart while Satan eats your liver kind of thing. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, anniebgood said:

She just turned 64 or 65, can't remember which. she's just a touch older than I am, I've said before she acts like my grandma did with the pearl clutching. I just read a thread on Ravelry where she's supporting someone who I assume is Candy Brauer under a pseudonym and calling out a Wiccan who called Candy out. The Bless Your Heart while Satan eats your liver kind of thing. 

You are quite correct - I was counting on my fingers wrong!  It is Teri Maxwell who is younger than me. Lydia is still not representative of our peer group - and she is a very nasty bit of work.

Seriously, both of my grandmothers would have considered Lydia a disgrace to womenkind.  One of them worked before marriage, raised 5 children, and published decent books later in life.  The other married a Baptist minister and missionary, worked in her own right, and would have rolled Lydia up and eaten her for breakfast.

I call Lydia loathsome for a reason.  There's arsenic in her brand of pseudo-Biblical honey.

On 21/06/2016 at 5:42 PM, docmom said:

Why do fundie women think that having a career and a marriage/motherhood/cooking/cleaning are mutually exclusive?   As the more astute of you may have gathered from my name, I'm a doctor and a mother. I've been married for almost 20 years.  I have three really great kids who not only attended daycare, but thrived there.  My house is clean (because I pay someone to clean it) and nicely decorated (but no pink or frills).  I make dinner from scratch every night except Fridays.  Last night we had cedar plank grilled salmon with grilled asparagus and zucchini and it took me 30 minutes from start to finish.  Lydia, come and visit and open your eyes.  The world is full of amazing women doing amazing things. God created us too and said it was good.

Exactly. The Bible says to prioritise the home, not laze around in it 24/7. I remember reading about Anne Graham Lotz, Billy Graham's daughter, who has a national Christian ministry. When she was starting out, her parents were concerned that her home and family would suffer because of her work, and that would go against scripture. But when they saw that her home was cared for, her kids were thriving and her husband was happy and supportive, they gave their blessing. They basically said, your work isn't causing you to neglect the priorities God has given, so why shouldn't you do both?

I appreciate not everyone will agree with that point of view, but it annoys me so much that fundies read so much into the Bible that just isn't there, and seem to be ignorant (wilfully or otherwise) of their own cultural conditioning.  You don't even have to discount Christian faith in order to hold a different point of view from them on what women are "allowed" to do, so it's not as if anyone's persecuting them for their faith. While there's no denying that home and family are important in the Bible, you also have women being judges and leaders of the nation, women following Jesus around on his travels and supporting him financially, women owning and running businesses etc etc etc. Not wasting their lives and their talents. Pink frilly aprons are definitely an optional extra!

On September 19, 2016 at 6:53 PM, anniebgood said:

So it seems you have to be a member to read there. You make is sound like a great place to lurk. Screw the knitting stuff.

I joined, I canT knit because of the arthritis in my hands, but my friends turned me on to the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/…/a-homespun-house…/2941388/3276-3300

Things get weird at post 3293 and a bit further down is Lady Lydia. I'm not sure she's our Lydia, but she's a fruitcake looking for a door to hold up. 

Can I second the recommendation for Ravelry? I've been a member since they were in beta (Spring 2008), and it's fab. There are so many members that virtually every interest is covered. There's no requirement to knit or crochet, though you might find yourself tempted if you stick around too long!

@anniebgood I'm so sorry to hear that you're not able to knit any more. I had to stop for quite a long time while I had surgery (and recovered from said surgeries) to fuse joints in my hands. It took a while, but I'm back in the game now, though my knitting is pretty slow. I find the square needles easier to hold than round ones (the Kollage ones were designed, I believe, for people with hand problems). I have also started crocheting, mainly because there are so many wonderful ergonomic hooks out there. I use the Addi Swing hooks a lot, which don't hurt my hands at all. A while back, I spent a few weeks in hospital and took my crochet to pass the time. Almost everyone on the ward went home and bought one of the Addi hooks because they found them so much easier on the hands! Just for the record, I have no connection to Kollage or Addi, and I'm sure there are alternatives to both - just thought I'd go off topic and share my life-changing discoveries!

And for those of us career women who don't cook from search every night or don't make it a priority to have a perfectly clean or decorated house...who cares? Seriously, why does it matter what my husband and I eat, or how badly our floor needs swept? It takes all kinds, and some people just have different priorities.

9 hours ago, anniebgood said:

I joined, I canT knit because of the arthritis in my hands, but my friends turned me on to the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/…/a-homespun-house…/2941388/3276-3300

Things get weird at post 3293 and a bit further down is Lady Lydia. I'm not sure she's our Lydia, but she's a fruitcake looking for a door to hold up. 

Well, poop.  They deleted a whole lot of posts! :lol:  It must have been a doozy.  If proselytizing was going on (as one poster says) it was almost certainly LL!

Ravelry is an interesting site and I plan to browse around it some more.  Thanks for the link @anniebgood.

I was never much into knitting but I used to crochet, embroider, needlepoint and so on.  I find those hurt my hands these days too.  I've switched to making miniatures and playing with polymer clay.  Both keep my hands moving and exercised but my finger joints don't freeze in position (for want of a better description) so much.

I should check out those Addi hooks too, @Jellybean

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 4:53 PM, anniebgood said:

I just read a thread on Ravelry where she's supporting someone who I assume is Candy Brauer under a pseudonym and calling out a Wiccan who called Candy out. The Bless Your Heart while Satan eats your liver kind of thing. 

Wow, that's a corner of Rav I've never been to before and I don't think I'd want to get stuck there. The Grace Livingston Hill read along where they extol the virtues of Elsie Dinsmore. The heavy handed proselytizing, the bible in her ravatar, the zionist bio. . .  I got bingo on my fundie names for god bingo card, though! She does confess to some diet pepsi worship. I think if I stay with the smart-ass knitters of doom group, I'll be ok. Otherwise, you'll have to send the rescue ferrets  (rescue alpacas?).

14 hours ago, anniebgood said:

I'm not sure she's our Lydia, but she's a fruitcake looking for a door to hold up. 

Oh, it's her all right. I found a place where she talks about swapping her knitting and crocheting in her truck-office. :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well, poop.  They deleted a whole lot of posts! :lol:  It must have been a doozy.  If proselytizing was going on (as one poster says) it was almost certainly LL!

Ravelry is an interesting site and I plan to browse around it some more.  Thanks for the link @anniebgood.

I was never much into knitting but I used to crochet, embroider, needlepoint and so on.  I find those hurt my hands these days too.  I've switched to making miniatures and playing with polymer clay.  Both keep my hands moving and exercised but my finger joints don't freeze in position (for want of a better description) so much.

I should check out those Addi hooks too, @Jellybean

You make miniatures?! I'm about to start assembling a dollhouse and have serious miniature fever right now haha.

LL just emailed me a link to The Thinking Housewife. The photo was a Victorian Lady in a boat and the question was can she jog? Delving deeper into that rabbit hole will give me a migraine. Nuts know as nuts do. 

THE answer to the above question is: No, you can’t.

That’s because jogging, or “running,” is immodest and beneath the dignity of feminine women (as opposed to uppity and tiresome Internet trolls who like to brag about their marathon training).

6 minutes ago, anniebgood said:

LL just emailed me a link to The Thinking Housewife. The photo was a Victorian Lady in a boat and the question was can she jog? Delving deeper into that rabbit hole will give me a migraine. Nuts know as nuts do. 

Remember, if a small child or pet walks out into the middle of a busy street, do not run out into the street and try to save them, that would be unladylike. Just stand there with your eyes tightly shut, as ladies must be ever vigilant about not viewing anything unsavory.

After you have returned home, removed any detritus from the deceased, and had your tea; go sit at your desk and get out your very best stationary. A handwritten letter of condolence to the parent or pet owner, is all that is required of a true lady who finds herself witness to such a scene. 

3 hours ago, ladyamylynn said:

You make miniatures?! I'm about to start assembling a dollhouse and have serious miniature fever right now haha.

I am a complete amateur.  I am muddling my way through stuff and should gird my loins and post some pics on our FJ thread about minis and dollhouses soon.

Dollhouses are addictive. :)

2 hours ago, anniebgood said:

Dear doG.  IMO, Loathsome Lady Lydia is Laziness Incarnate.

The FSM only knows what makes her that way - but from my observation LLLLI wouldn't get off her butt to do anything except to save pink painted plastic crap, pink fabric, and dust collecting sequinned doodads in questionable taste from oblivion.

Home decorating aside, people really do seem to be a very distant second in LLLLI's universe.  She makes that so very clear in all her public blogs.

@Lydia, you are a member here.  Want to talk? I would love you to explain why I am so incredibly wrong about you?

9 hours ago, QuiverFullOfTacos said:

And for those of us career women who don't cook from search every night or don't make it a priority to have a perfectly clean or decorated house...who cares? Seriously, why does it matter what my husband and I eat, or how badly our floor needs swept? It takes all kinds, and some people just have different priorities.

I agree. A picture perfect house & gourmet meals just aren't important to some of us. We'd rather hang out with our kids & spouse at the movies then chase dust bunnies around or straighten decoratative pillows endlessly. I know my job is important cause I help people get medical treatment that was denied to them, among other things. Priorities!

forums > a homespun house podcast group > discussion board

Chit Chat

The good stuff started at 3293. Candy is "Misty Rainbow Rose". A lot of it has been deleted, damn. 

But here's a snippet of what LL posted:
"Sadly, that reign of terror, it is coming. It is called the Great Tribulation. But, you see, it is only by choice you will suffer through it. You need to read the Book of Revelation. Satan is the Antichrist. Boy, I’d like to sit him on a bomb, for all the heartache and tears caused, for he is the father of lies. But, I can wait, because, this war is won, and let me tell you this truth- Christ wins! Satan is thrown into the lake of fire for eternity!"

and

"I am on my way to church. I have no time to argue with the enemy. I will be sure that you, and your friends are the subject of fervent prayer of the righteousness.

With Christ’s love, 
Lydia"

And here is a shawl pattern LL posted YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE KJV READ BY A MAN WHILE YOU ARE CROCHETING IT:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shawl-of-hope...See More

I think it might be a poe for The Lady Lydia, but it sure does sound like her. 

Enjoy. 

On 9/22/2016 at 1:28 PM, anniebgood said:

But Elizabeth Bennet liked to run/jog!  Though I guess Caroline Bingley and Mrs. Hurst DID look down on her for it....

6 hours ago, anniebgood said:

forums > a homespun house podcast group > discussion board

Chit Chat

The good stuff started at 3293. Candy is "Misty Rainbow Rose". A lot of it has been deleted, damn. 

I think it might be a poe for The Lady Lydia, but it sure does sound like her. 

Enjoy. 

I'm just not sure that is 'our' Lady Lydia (OLL). I know there are LOTS of things that sound similar, but there are a few that seem to point to it being someone else:

- A picture of the truck for which she knitted a 'truck cozy' (steering wheel cover, I think). I don't recognise any of the people or surroundings in her photographs. In fact, many of her pictures show people (even 'ladies') in jeans. You can look at her projects and pictures here

- a mention of at least one of her kids going back to school a month ago 

- She refers to her mother as 'mom' and mentions that her mom throws hand knitted shawls into the washing machine (OLL refers to her mother as 'mother' and seems to talk about her in the past tense, though I may have misinterpreted that). Here is a link to her Ravelry posts

- In this lady's profile she lists her favourite colours (no pink) and has only been knitting/crocheting for a maximum of 26 years. I would expect someone of OLL's age and generation to have been knitting and crocheting since childhood. I've been knitting since I was 7 years old, which is 28 years ago

This Lydia certainly seems willing to share her faith, and it's clearly a hugely important part of her life, but I can't see any of the strange 'Edwardian lady' obsession. I would feel awful ascribing the hypocrisy and hatred of OLL to someone else without being sure.

@anniebgood can you help me here? You sound as though you're more familiar with this situation than I am!

Bahahaha at the shawl pattern being named YOU HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE KJV READ BY A MAN WHILE YOU ARE CROCHETING IT.

But, Lydia, what if i can only find a copy of the NIV read by a man? Is it better to listen to NIV by a man or KJV by a woman?? Which one will save my mortal soul?!

She insists several times that it MUST BE THE KJV, and also says that it must be on cassette tape. I don't think I have any way of playing such a thing, even if it was something I wanted to do 

6 hours ago, Jellybean said:

I'm just not sure that is 'our' Lady Lydia (OLL). I know there are LOTS of things that sound similar, but there are a few that seem to point to it being someone else:

I don't think that is our Lady Lydia either.  There is really not enough pink and this one leads upfront with being a Christian Zionist.

TheLadyLydia is about as batshit as Lady Lydia Sherman though!

1 hour ago, Jellybean said:

She insists several times that it MUST BE THE KJV, and also says that it must be on cassette tape. I don't think I have any way of playing such a thing, even if it was something I wanted to do 

So CDs are verboten?  

Yeah, I was wondering about the Rav Lydia. The tone of her writing doesn't sound the same as Lydia Sherman, and Lydia Sherman really doesn't have much of an internet presence. She's got her blog, but no Facebook, or even Pinterest, which I suspected would be right up her alley.

Archived