IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

Sorry @Lydia Caribou is beating you in the decorating tables department. And she seems better at time management. Maybe you should ask her for advice? 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Sorry @Lydia Caribou is beating you in the decorating tables department. And she seems better at time management. Maybe you should ask her for advice? 

No....please no.

I love "keeping my home". But I'm also 53, retired from my career, have raised 2 successful, employed (even the girl!!) children, and have a husband who works because he wants to.

I don't just do the frou-frou stuff around our house. This afternoon, for example, I was on a 10 foot ladder cleaning the muck and leaves out of our eaves trough; then I used the sawzall to cut some errant branches around the property and hauled the cuttings to the fire pit which I then burned; finally, I cut the grass (I won't use a riding mower, this was a gas-powered push machine, baby), weed whacked the property then used my leaf vacuum to suck up the cuttings. And we don't have a small yard.

Oh yeah, and I just made a chicken stir fry from scratch that will be ready for my husband when he gets home soon.

Oh yeah, and I STILL had time to come check on FreeJinger and enjoy a glass of wine on the deck.

11 minutes ago, Caribou said:

No....please no.

I love "keeping my home". But I'm also 53, retired from my career, have raised 2 successful, employed (even the girl!!) children, and have a husband who works because he wants to.

I don't just do the frou-frou stuff around our house. This afternoon, for example, I was on a 10 foot ladder cleaning the muck and leaves out of our eaves trough; then I used the sawzall to cut some errant branches around the property and hauled the cuttings to the fire pit which I then burned; finally, I cut the grass (I won't use a riding mower, this was a gas-powered push machine, baby), weed whacked the property then used my leaf vacuum to suck up the cuttings. And we don't have a small yard.

Oh yeah, and I just made a chicken stir fry from scratch that will be ready for my husband when he gets home soon.

Oh yeah, and I STILL had time to come check on FreeJinger and enjoy a glass of wine on the deck.

But you did not find the time to browse the dollar stores and make some inspirational videos! FAIL.

7 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

But you did not find the time to browse the dollar stores and make some inspirational videos! FAIL.

DAMN... It wasn't on my list

Women have always worked. Unless your family was wealthy, you worked. On the farm, taking in laundry, working as a maid, etc. This whole "stay at home" thing only works for those with money. I don't understand the obsession.

Ok...I'm a total scrub in the wife department...M-Wed, I'm at work or school for about 15 hours a day...Thursday, it's work and church stuff, friday/Saturday school.  I cook on Saturdays and Sundays right now...Mr. Xtian is starting school 7/11 and will be right busy for the next few months too...

My dining room window has kitty nose prints ALL over it...it'll get cleaned when we move out. 

Ok...I'll admit being insanely busy right now is sorta tiring, but I went NUTS for that year+ I was at home...

9 hours ago, Terrie said:

It's not slobber. It's your dog's nose print art.

I agree, it's nose print art.

On 6/20/2016 at 10:33 AM, lilwriter85 said:

I have noticed that many Mormons believe in backup plans for women and they value education for women as well. I've come across several Mormon bloggers that are SAHMs, but they used to work prior to kids or marriage and many have college degrees or vocational training and some will occasionally mention that they might return to the workforce later on. There are some Mormon bloggers that are very much against women working and are against  women getting degrees. Stephanie "NieNie" Nielson is that category. She gets ripped apart on GOMI quite often because she and her family travel quite a bit during the school year and there are times she had admitted to taking her older daughters out of school for shopping days or days to stay home and hang out.

Education is stressed in the LDS Church. Both girls and boys are expected to be educated.

I have never heard of this blogger, but she is going against church teachings. Here is what young LDS women are taught about education https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/yw/self-reliance/develop?lang=eng

On June 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM, AmazonGrace said:

God wants windows washed weekly? 

Yes.

Now say that 5 times quickly. ;)

I watched Bill Mahr last night. He told a story about selling pots and pans door to door as a young guy. 

Someone gave him a tip- go through high school yearbooks and pick out girls in the graduating class who didn't list college in their future plans. Those were the best customers. 

7 hours ago, Chevreuil said:

Education is stressed in the LDS Church. Both girls and boys are expected to be educated.

I have never heard of this blogger, but she is going against church teachings. Here is what young LDS women are taught about education https://www.lds.org/youth/learn/yw/self-reliance/develop?lang=eng

That's true, while Mormons are told not to delay having children when they're in college, education is still stressed for both genders. While males go on a mission at 18 now, they're still expected to have their high school diploma first, in order to ensure that they don't drop out during their senior year to go on the mission. Girls can go on a mission at 19, which usually means they have at least a semester or even a full year of college completed first. While Mormon women might drop out of college when they start having children, many often return to finish their degrees when their children are in school, or take night classes when their husbands are available to be a parent.

I stay at home while husband works.  I also have a 4 year old, and a little boy arriving in December.  My house is kept reasonably clean.  I cook from scratch most nights, and don't even think about the menu until hubby calls on his way home from work.  But I totally never wash the windows.  I'm a failure, I'm afraid. 

15 minutes ago, ADoyle90815 said:

That's true, while Mormons are told not to delay having children when they're in college, education is still stressed for both genders. While males go on a mission at 18 now, they're still expected to have their high school diploma first, in order to ensure that they don't drop out during their senior year to go on the mission. Girls can go on a mission at 19, which usually means they have at least a semester or even a full year of college completed first. While Mormon women might drop out of college when they start having children, many often return to finish their degrees when their children are in school, or take night classes when their husbands are available to be a parent.

Getting an actual career-track degree instead of a Mrs is a fairly recent phenom for the church. It's created a bit of a problem, at least in some Mormon communities,  where college-educated young women enjoying their financial freedom are pickier about who they will marry, to the point where many of them have passed their "sell-by date". A number of cities have Young Single Adult (read <30 years) wards to facilitate meeting that special someone while you worship, and there are even some LDS Singles social groups especially for the 31 and over crowd.

11 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Getting an actual career-track degree instead of a Mrs is a fairly recent phenom for the church. It's created a bit of a problem, at least in some Mormon communities,  where college-educated young women enjoying their financial freedom are pickier about who they will marry, to the point where many of them have passed their "sell-by date". A number of cities have Young Single Adult (read <30 years) wards to facilitate meeting that special someone while you worship, and there are even some LDS Singles social groups especially for the 31 and over crowd.

The mention of MRS degrees reminds me of an incident when my older daughter was in college. On a visit to her grandmother, she was invited to meet a lot of my mother's friends, and of course they asked what she was studying. They seemed impressed, and she was basking a little, until she realized these elderly folks were happy a member of the younger generation was taking Home Economics and preparing to be a good wife. Needless to say, she was studying Economics with the goal of taking over the universe that she's had roughly since birth. I shared her indignation, but didn't dare tell her I also found the whole situation funny.

22 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

The mention of MRS degrees reminds me of an incident when my older daughter was in college. On a visit to her grandmother, she was invited to meet a lot of my mother's friends, and of course they asked what she was studying. They seemed impressed, and she was basking a little, until she realized these elderly folks were happy a member of the younger generation was taking Home Economics and preparing to be a good wife. Needless to say, she was studying Economics with the goal of taking over the universe that she's had roughly since birth. I shared her indignation, but didn't dare tell her I also found the whole situation funny.

Years ago the Rhodes scholar and PhD candidate daughter of some family friends, attempted to explain to my mother her course of study in microbiology with research in genetic engineering. What my mother heard was that she was planning to become a nurse. (Which is not to say that nursing isn't a wonderful career, just that in my mother's mind a career woman could only be a teacher, a nurse, or a librarian)

31 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Years ago the Rhodes scholar and PhD candidate daughter of some family friends, attempted to explain to my mother her course of study in microbiology with research in genetic engineering. What my mother heard was that she was planning to become a nurse. (Which is not to say that nursing isn't a wonderful career, just that in my mother's mind a career woman could only be a teacher, a nurse, or a librarian)

I remember those days. My kids look blank when I try to tell them those were the options presented to me when I was a kid. They have a hard time grasping that companies used to be able to specify "Man Wanted" in job ads, or that the same grandmother who got Economics and Home Econ confused was not only paid less at a job because she was a woman, but that it was legal for the company to inform her the decision was made because the man doing the same work had a family to support. The fact that my mother had kids too didn't even register to them.

30 minutes ago, paganbaby said:

I remember those days. My kids look blank when I try to tell them those were the options presented to me when I was a kid. They have a hard time grasping that companies used to be able to specify "Man Wanted" in job ads, or that the same grandmother who got Economics and Home Econ confused was not only paid less at a job because she was a woman, but that it was legal for the company to inform her the decision was made because the man doing the same work had a family to support. The fact that my mother had kids too didn't even register to them.

(Emphasis mine.)

I'm reminded of when I was flipping through the TV channels and somehow landed on The 700 Club, and Pat Robertson was ranting about how "now we have to pay a woman the same as a man, even if she's single and he's got a wife and three kids at home."  Somehow, this leads to the husband leaving the wife, forcing her to get a job and put the kids in daycare(horrors!).  His female cohost, whom I believe was Sheila Walsh, said "I think it should be based on the job you do," and Pat did grudgingly admit that if it were reversed(unmarried man and single mom), she should be paid more.

I see that she's been on in the last few hours, but hasn't bothered to reply to any questions. I guess in the face of so much logic and so many accomplishments, she's been struck speechless?

Here's how I prepare dinner: wait for my husband to come home w groceries & see what yummy treats he cooks up. This makes us both happy as I am a boring cook, from a long line of Irish-American, boil-the-veggies-til-they're-mush cooks. He loves trying new recipes. By default, I get the laundry & cleaning jobs.

Running a house is not rocket science. It is something we all do so why do funnies make into some big, convoluted puzzle? 

On June 21, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Caribou said:

No....please no.

You rock! I'm tired just reading about your day. You really earned that wine.

Power tools are great & I wish more women got over the fear of them. 

20 minutes ago, princessmahina said:

I see that she's been on in the last few hours, but hasn't bothered to reply to any questions. I guess in the face of so much logic and so many accomplishments, she's been struck speechless?

Lydia struck speechless?  Never!  

She's just cogitating about her next noxious blog post, using FJ as an example of persecution.  I doubt whether she will post here again.  She lacks the intestinal fortitude.

5 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Running a house is not rocket science. It is something we all do so why do fundies make into some big, convoluted puzzle? 

Precisely.   

LLL, I add loathsome to her name because she is so nasty, is so amazingly bored with her life --and it shows.  It is quite pitiful really.

18 minutes ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Power tools are great & I wish more women got over the fear of them. 

Squee!! The sawzall was my Mother's Day gift; I got an upgraded cordless drill with a lawnmower blade sharpening attachment kit for my birthday! 

2 hours ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Running a house is not rocket science. It is something we all do so why do funnies make into some big, convoluted puzzle? 

To justify their one true calling? If the one thing they're meant to focus on (keeping house and producing/raising blessings) is something everyone can do then I imagine it seems a bit less special. Make it complicated and suddenly you have more purpose I guess.

I have more than one elderly relative who thinks I'm a nurse, despite the "Jozina's at medical school. Jozina's going to be a doctor. Jozina is a doctor. Here's a photo of Jozina graduating/in her work gear as a doctor" from my parents. I respect the heck out of a nurses and I couldn't do their job but I am not a nurse because vagina. And (BONUS BOO YEAH) I also raise my kids, cook dinner and have a clean home.

I had never heard of LL until yesterday. Now I'm reading her blog. Thanks, FJ... I think :o

"Our talents at home were often seen at the County Fairs, where women vied for prizes in cooking, sewing. knitting, photography, art and a myriad of other things. We eagerly anticipated these events because it gave us a strong sense of our importance to the family and to the nation. Not all of it was competitition, though, since some women just liked showing things they had done."

:/

This sentence sticks out like a sore thumb:
"We eagerly anticipated these events because it gave us a strong sense of our importance to the family and to the nation. " 

Almost all of the women I know have this 'strong sense of importance to the family and to the nation' every day.  They don't need county fair craft competitions to validate themselves.

Just a few examples: my doctor, my accountant, my mechanic, my mail carrier and my SAHM neighbor who home schools her kids (and does a fantastic job). :)

That sort of delivers the opposite message from what was probably intended... I mean, shouldn't you get a strong sense of your importance to the family because you interact with your family daily and see firsthand how your actions and inactions affect their wellbeing?  If,  instead,  you get a strong sense of your importance to the family because a bunch of strangers said your photographs look  great...  uh...

I'm sure country fairs are nice events and  I've nothing against them, but if you're vying for recognition for your cookies and sewing at a country fair and get your satisfaction from the feedback outside of your family it just seems to reinforce the notion that even career SAHM's need to have a bit of a life outside the family. 

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

I'm sure country fairs are nice events and  I've nothing against them, but if you're vying for recognition for your cookies and sewing at a country fair and get your satisfaction from the feedback outside of your family it just seems to reinforce the notion that even career SAHM's need to have a bit of a life outside the family. 

ITA.

It's an awful pity LL couldn't just join a WI.  Jam, Jerusalem, and Calendar Girls.

I'm sure she doesn't know what I mean and would be shocked to know how hard WI women worked during both world wars - often taking on WI voluntary work as well as filling jobs for men in the forces.  Their efforts were of real importance to a nation.  They still do a lot of good work.

Here's a link for her:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_Institutes

Archived