IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

On 8/10/2016 at 8:04 AM, warriorblade8857 said:

What app is this, and how well does it work? I may be interested in getting it too!

@warriorblade8857, sorry for the delay in replying. I took a break from FJ and just now saw this.

It's called WebOutLoud -- I found it in the iTunes store. I also saw, when I googled it just now, that there's a Chrome version. I don't know about Android.

ETA: I love it! It's a generated voice (there's a setting where you can raise or lower the voice and increase or decrease the reading speed), and sometimes "she" makes "mispronunciations" that strike me as funny, but the reading is clear and easy to follow and enables me to get a lot done while browsing my favorite websites.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@PennySycamore I actually barely saw the last series, as I was in Germany for a uni year abroad (I do languages) and you can't get iPlayer there. I did hear about it, though. Now I'm back in Britain for final year I'm looking forward to prospect watching it all!!!

Back on topic: Lady Lydia is weird. I've barely looked her up/at her stuff but what I have seen is weird. 

Thanks for the corrections, ladies. I did know that.. my brain is still addled from the hot sun and the emotion when I finally found the graves!!

13 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Thanks for the corrections, ladies. I did know that.. my brain is still addled from the hot sun and the emotion when I finally found the graves!!

Poor Gus Grissom.  He was vilified for losing the data and the program didn't care much about his survival.

The wives are important too.  They had a pretty dreadful time and many of the marriages ended in divorce.  Have you read the Astronaut Wives Club by Lily Koppel?  I think you would like it.  It was dramatized for TV but I haven't seen that.  There is also a BBC documentary about the Apollo wives.  This highlight is still on youtube - Clare Whitfield singing Macho Man. :)

Back to Lady Lydia - the astronauts' wives are far better role models than she is - they were amazing women.

34 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

@Palimpsest: thanks for the video and the lead! Off to Amazon..

I loved the book!  These women were/are amazing!  I think Betty Grissom is sill living as are Annie Glenn and Marilyn Lovell.  

I didn't see many episodes of the ABC show, but they really got the look of some of the wives wrong.  For instance, the actress that played Betty Grissom looks nothing like the real Betty.  Hairdos should not be that hard, Hollywood people!   The look of the women was so disconcerting that I found it a bit hard to follow.  YMMV, of course.

I was just antiquing with Mr. Four last weekend, and we came across some old LIFE magazines with the Mercury Seven, Glenn's flight and ticker tape parade, and another.. but the magazines had $40 each on them, and I can't go that.. I'd love to read them though.

27 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I was just antiquing with Mr. Four last weekend, and we came across some old LIFE magazines with the Mercury Seven, Glenn's flight and ticker tape parade, and another.. but the magazines had $40 each on them, and I can't go that.. I'd love to read them though.

@Four is Enough, it's not the same as having your own copy but a college library and maybe even a good public library should have bound copies of LIFE magazine from the period.  I used to go with my brother to the Clemson U library to read old copies of LIFE from the 40s.

I have the copy of Life from 7/20/1969. One of my prized possessions. There's a great documentary that was done by the discovery channel 

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-shows/videos/other-shows-when-we-left-earth-videos/

The docudrama that Tom Hanks did called "When We Left Earth" is pretty good too. I can't watch Apollo 13, I nitpick it to death. 

I guess I should thank Lady Lydia for leading me to all these awesome links about the space program. 

Thanks, LL :)

I grew up in the 60s/70s.  I remember watching the moon landing on TV.

It seemed like because they accomplished that, anything was possible. 

My husband used to watch Star Trek Enterprise.  The intro had film clips from the early years of the space program. It made me tear up every time. ;)

The theme song made its way onto the Muzak playlist at our neighborhood grocery store.  It took an effort for me not to burst into tears while shopping- not even kidding.  ;) 

Lydia sometimes posts at the Thinking (Stinking) Housewife. They are two peas in a pod.

The Stinker has many MRAs who are her adoring fans, and they despise Lydia. I loathe them both, so I love seeing them

go at it.

1 hour ago, starfish said:

Lydia sometimes posts at the Thinking (Stinking) Housewife. They are two peas in a pod.

The Stinker has many MRAs who are her adoring fans, and they despise Lydia. I loathe them both, so I love seeing them

go at it.

I can't do the MRA stuff without getting depressed. Why do they hate Lydia? I'd think they'd like someone who stays at home and decorates. 

Be prepared to be even more depressed. The MRAs hate Lydia because 1) she's not cute enough for them (remember, they favor very young women from impoverished hell-holes that they can fantasize about marrying by mail order; they seem to prefer Asians) and 2) and more importantly, Lydia's too opinionated. They like their women supremely docile. Stinker always comes down on the side of Lydia for what it's worth. 

The Stinker also posted a video of the fundie women and her 35 homeschooled kids marching through Target and yelling at customers about the transgender/unisex bathroom issue. The MRAs came down hard on that lady. They didn't like her appearance, and thought she should be at home submitting to her headship. Stinker also defended fundie Target lady.

I despise them all, and love seeing them disagree. I wish I could somehow arrange it more often just for my amusement.

7 hours ago, starfish said:

Be prepared to be even more depressed. The MRAs hate Lydia because 1) she's not cute enough for them (remember, they favor very young women from impoverished hell-holes that they can fantasize about marrying by mail order; they seem to prefer Asians) and 2) and more importantly, Lydia's too opinionated. They like their women supremely docile. Stinker always comes down on the side of Lydia for what it's worth. 

The Stinker also posted a video of the fundie women and her 35 homeschooled kids marching through Target and yelling at customers about the transgender/unisex bathroom issue. The MRAs came down hard on that lady. They didn't like her appearance, and thought she should be at home submitting to her headship. Stinker also defended fundie Target lady.

I despise them all, and love seeing them disagree. I wish I could somehow arrange it more often just for my amusement.

They do realize that real women actually age, right? That the young firm thing they buy from the internet and have eleventy kids with is going to sag and pooch eventually? Those people make me sick. Ugh. Just ugh.

RE space. I was in 4th grade and every 2 rooms got tv's in our school and we got to watch Alan Shepherd hurtle into space. I was in Florida on vacation and saw one of the Gemini's hurtle across the sky. My husband's grandfather worked for McDonnell Douglas and was at one of the early Shuttle launches as a guest. My husband has done a bunch of work at Space-X and every time they land one of their boosters on the barge, we celebrate. 

Lydia would be so disappointed if she walked into Space X. They are all dressed casual, even Elon Musk when he's there. They work hard and they play hard and they are breaking into space. 

The mathematician who calculated the trajectories of the Project Mercury flights as well as the Apollo 11 mission to the moon was none other that Katherine Johnson is not only a woman but is also black.  Next January 8, Hidden Figures, a film about these remarkable black women who worked as human calculators for the space program comes out. 

• 4 weeks later...

LL has a new video with her husband Stan talking about how homeschoolers shouldn't be in co-ops or groups because that mimics the evil statist school system. Your children need to be taught by you and no one else. Sounds rather Maxwellian to me. Don't associate with open minded liberals because you might learn something that isn't taught in your textbooks. Don't be on teams. Oh, geez. :confused2:

(Lydia don't send me an email,you know what I feel about your detest for public schools, yet if you needed a doctor, chances are they went to a state college and medical school and learned their craft.)

2 hours ago, bertnee said:

Does Lydia have any children? I assume they'd all be grown....did they get sent to ebil public schools?

From what I understand, she homeschooled them. Her son was involved in some protest but I can't recall why. They are strident in their opposition to public education. Her daughter must live close because she's always making dresses for the grandchild. They are "house dresses" but while new, they can be worn to church. 

23 hours ago, bertnee said:

Does Lydia have any children? I assume they'd all be grown....did they get sent to ebil public schools?

I wondered this myself.  I checked out her website, and she goes on for quite sometime about how heartbreaking it is when children grow up, leave home, and live their own lives without constant contact and visitation to their parents.  She chastises those grown children and also the parents of grown children who clutter their lives with fun social events to the extent that they don't visit as often as they should.  Taken to the extreme, this causes health breakdowns and is surely unchristian. 

So...is Lydia trying to guilt her own children into being more a part of her life?  Or is she being smug because her children are constantly calling and visiting?  It's my opinion that happy, emotionally stable and physically active adults don't necessarily need constant reassurance that they are loved, but just to be sure I called my daughter to ask if I should be visiting her more often.  Nope, no loneliness or impending health breakdowns on either side, so I guess we'll just continue to be happy in our own way for the time being.

I noticed that Lydia still has her DONATE button, but now she clarifies that it is up because others have requested a way to send her money.  I'm not a crafty person, but she does use some beautiful fabrics in her business.  And I'm jealous that she took a vacation to my favorite spot, Yachats, Oregon.  I hope her children were OK with her leaving the house, but it's probably fine to take a road trip just as long as you don't do it often, or maybe it was a family trip.  I get confused because her outlook on life is so different from mine.

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I noticed that Lydia still has her DONATE button, but now she clarifies that it is up because others have requested a way to send her money. 

Yeah, what is up with that? Did I miss a "we are sooo poor. . ." post from her?

I get confused because her outlook on life is so different from mine.

Same here. I was shocked to find out a while back that Lydia is much younger than I. I just assumed she was quite elderly and mildly disabled. Still SMH over comment about how easily her son-in-law picked up and carried a 40# pumpkin. I carry heavier things than that every day! I would be embarrassed to ask for help with something that weighed just 40#.

I hope no one ever outs (to her) the two men who own the tea room. She would be devastated.

12 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Same here. I was shocked to find out a while back that Lydia is much younger than I.

Lady Lydia is only in her late 50s.  I remember being very surprised when I found out she was younger than I am because she comes over as such a doddering old fool.

On 9/16/2016 at 0:52 PM, bertnee said:

She home schooled her 3 children.  She has two sons and one daughter, Lillybeth (or was it Lallybeth?), who also used to blog.  Her daughter and son-in-law stuck around like glue - and at one point they were rumored to be living in LL's garage.  A site called Sweeping the Cobwebs did an expose of her years ago but the posts seem to have been taken down.  It was quite mean-spirited about LL - not that she isn't really mean-spirited herself and deserved it - and I can't vouch for its accuracy.  Some things I do tend to believe below.

19 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

So...is Lydia trying to guilt her own children into being more a part of her life?  Or is she being smug because her children are constantly calling and visiting? 

The sons are rumored to have flown the Sherman coop years ago probably out of self preservation.  It is believed by many (including me) that those posts are attempts to guilt trip her sons.

19 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I noticed that Lydia still has her DONATE button, but now she clarifies that it is up because others have requested a way to send her money. 

Of course people are falling all over themselves pleading to donate money to her!  :laughing-rolling: 

Lydia grifts with the best.  Her husband does (or did) pastor a church but they also do a lot of MLM crap on the side.  She and Jenny Chauncey were hand in glove in some money-making schemes.  

Lady Lydia archive here:  http://www.freejinger.org/forum/279-lady-lydia/

More dirt on LL here but the links to Sweeping the Cobwebs don't work.   https://homelivin.wordpress.com/category/lady-lydia/ *

*Disclaimer:  I really dislike the way they mock LL's personal appearance at Homeyliving.  Mock her poisonous beliefs not her wrinkles and body.

Preacher Stanley and Lady Lydia Sherman's church celebrated turning 50 years old last year.   The happy couple live next door, according to the website.

lancasterchurchofchrist.blogspot.com

The website displays differently on my phone than my laptop, so on my phone this (bolded) is displayed more prominently and seems glaringly out of place (but maybe not so weird knowing that Lydia has a donate button, lol):

The Lancaster church of Christ warmly and heartily welcomes visitors.

The Ladies Bible Class meets here every Thursday morning from 10-11 am, and also has a long history. Good fellowship and refreshments are enjoyed after the study.

If you are buying an R.V. in Junction City, or getting your vehicle serviced there (Country Coach or any other company), be sure to visit us.

Sundays at 3:30 p.m. Stanley Sherman broadcasts on KORE 10.50 AM on the radio in Springfield/Eugene.

Not sure what the bolded text refers to.  Do they have an RV business?  Or maybe adjacent to one, so are inviting folks to come on over?  Also on my phone (but couldn't find it on the website): 

Articles for Christian women by the preacher's wife, (Lydia) can be found here (homeliving.blogspot.com). 

Lydia is also available for speaking engagements, according to the site.

The website is worth a look for the activities, history and photos of the church.  I think I saw some of Lydia's homey touches, too.

50 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Preacher Stanley and Lady Lydia Sherman's church celebrated turning 50 years old last year.   The happy couple live next door, according to the website.

lancasterchurchofchrist.blogspot.com

The website displays differently on my phone than my laptop, so on my phone this (bolded) is displayed more prominently and seems glaringly out of place (but maybe not so weird knowing that Lydia has a donate button, lol):

Not sure what the bolded text refers to.  Do they have an RV business?  Or maybe adjacent to one, so are inviting folks to come on over?  Also on my phone (but couldn't find it on the website): 

Articles for Christian women by the preacher's wife, (Lydia) can be found here (homeliving.blogspot.com). 

Lydia is also available for speaking engagements, according to the site.

The website is worth a look for the activities, history and photos of the church.  I think I saw some of Lydia's homey touches, too.

Junction City is right on I 5 along a stretch of road that has a huge number of RV dealerships. It's a shopping destination for people all over the country because Oregon doesn't have a sales tax. 

Archived