IGNORED

Lady Lydia wants a booth at career day

AmazonGrace

4 hours ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Apropos of a side topic, I cracked open a half pint of pickled onions that I put up about 6 weeks ago. (The book specified to let them sit for at least 3 weeks so...)

MARVELOUS.

I want the recipe! My spouse adores pickled onions.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, refugee said:

I want the recipe! My spouse adores pickled onions.

I put up a recipe in Quiverfull of Food forum, @refugee! Enjoy!

On 6/21/2016 at 3:57 PM, Caribou said:

I love "keeping my home". But I'm also 53, retired from my career, have raised 2 successful, employed (even the girl!!) children, and have a husband who works because he wants to.

I don't just do the frou-frou stuff around our house. This afternoon, for example, I was on a 10 foot ladder cleaning the muck and leaves out of our eaves trough; then I used the sawzall to cut some errant branches around the property and hauled the cuttings to the fire pit which I then burned; finally, I cut the grass (I won't use a riding mower, this was a gas-powered push machine, baby), weed whacked the property then used my leaf vacuum to suck up the cuttings. And we don't have a small yard.

Oh yeah, and I just made a chicken stir fry from scratch that will be ready for my husband when he gets home soon.

Oh yeah, and I STILL had time to come check on FreeJinger and enjoy a glass of wine on the deck.

Pretty sure @Caribou and I are leading identical lives.   So cool to hear that someone else can whip out a dinner party, yet still haul branches to the burn pit.  Go, you!

On 6/23/2016 at 1:30 PM, Georgiana said:

Just want to jump in to say that my dad's cousin's wife, who works a full time job, has won the top prize for cookies at the State fair multiple years in a row now.  With her sister in law (another of my dad's cousins) she also made and handed out over 500 cookies for Halloween.  

My mother and her friends (all of which work, some very high powered) have been included in the quilt display multiple times.  

You can have these skills AND work a full time job.  Honestly, it's not 1890 anymore.  These things can be done as HOBBIES now thanks to modern conveniences.  

And, for all her doily-crafting, I have YET to see Lydia display mastery of any one of those skills she mentioned.  But somehow, all the working women I know have gained recognized proficiency.  Maybe you don't need to stay home all day...

Maybe you just need decent time management skills.  

My mom cooks, cans, preserves, sews everything from our clothes to blinds, pillows, couch covers and any other houseware imaginable. She taught me to properly clean, hot water and vinegar handnscrubbed for hardwood floors, vacuuming lamp shades and matresses, etc. She also went to art school. The catch is she went after backpacking around Europe all summer by herself following the Formula 1 racers around and she drove split shift big rig semis to pay for her classes. Her dad owned an auto garage and raced cars with his brothers and my mom wanted to be a race car driver growing up. In addition to the beautiful cakes and themed b day parties she threw for me in the pre pinterest era and her domestic prowess, she taught me to drive, change oil and a flat, jump a car, fix plumbing and basic electrical issues, how to grill and mounted lawn, and any other activity seen as male and father oriented. She also taught me to play ice hockey. She wasn't in the NHL like her brothers but she was on her secondary school's first girls team in Ontario in the early 1970s. Even in Canada they all had to file the toe picks off their figure skates mainly because there were no hockey skates for girls. She supported me playing on a guys team from grade 2 through high school, even when I ran into ofpposition, the strongest eventually came from teammates moms who didn't want their preshush widdle boys to be corrupted by a Jezebel temptress like me as though I cared about their Joey's limp peen slipping out when putting his cup on anymore than any other guy on the team would become out of control grinding up on a teammate just because he could see some pale bacne covered skim.

But back on topic i wonder what Lydia would think of my mom... her head would probably explode.

A booth at a job fair would actually be rather good for Lady Lydia. She would be forced to stand there and deal with educated women confronting her about her false version of history and how she comes off as just making busy work to fill her time. No running away from a forum or deleting comments.

She would close her booth in less than an hour. 

I nanny for a woman who is an engineer, yet she still cans, quilts, knits, gardens, sews clothes for herself and her kids - she is like superwoman. Yes, she has a 2/3 time nanny, but she is in constant touch with me during the day and is a full time parent, no mistake. There is no reason why a woman can't be a great homemaker and have a great career, as all of our examples here show.

I'm really not comfortable with crapping on full time homemakers. Yeah having a way to make your own path in the world is important but both men and women do the homemaking thing now days and there are ways to severely reduce the risks associated. You're not automatically some irresponsible ignoramus to put off higher education until your children are older because you made responsible plans. 

THAT being said my god this blog is a gold mine. Like she really believes the white washed crap of the 50's and the Victorian era actually represents what all women did for most of humankind's existence. Women have basically always worked! If anything women have worked harder, not only helping with subsistence work but on top of it doing emotional and domestic work. I would love to see Lady Lydia on my gram's Molokan homestead! Milking goats and cows, slaughtering chickens, working to reap the fields with the men and then returning home to make them food. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that @Lydia edited her blog post to remove the name of the painting I called her out about. She left the painting and is still trying to imply that it is a picture of a woman caring for the home, but she no longer has the name of the painting, The Little Country Maid.

@Lydia, why don't you just go with being honest about that painting?  It shows the real life of the painter, which was that the wife wasn't cleaning and cooking and that a woman worked?

Aww now she's decorated the ugly old truck with a flower wreath. 

I have those same Walmart shoes except in black. I needed some black flats asap and they had to do. They were horrible. 

Did you catch the comment that some brides want pictures by the truck? I suppose if you like old run down trucks decorated with wreaths. 

I just bought the most wonderful retro sleeveless shirtdress from Macy's on sale. It was 109$ marked down to 19.99$. I love it. Now if I could find another one. 

Oh well, I read the blog but don't comment anymore. 

Take that @Lydia

Rustic bbq table for 9.

Just because I love my new dishes/linens, I'm proud of the result and I'm tipsy after a bottle of wine.

image.jpeg

This is my first ever Lydia thread; I can't believe you guys have steered me towards another fricken rabbit hole that'll more than likely take over my weekend... :exercise:

On a semi-related note, what a very accomplished, energetic, intelligent and knowledgeable group you people are!! Makes me feel quite proud to be on here and joining in with y'all :my_biggrin::my_biggrin::my_biggrin:

11 hours ago, Caribou said:

Take that @Lydia

Rustic bbq table for 9.

Just because I love my new dishes/linens, I'm proud of the result and I'm tipsy after a bottle of wine.

image.jpeg

The image isn't showing for me. :(

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

The image isn't showing for me. :(

Can you see this @Palimpsest

image.jpeg

@Caribou, yes, thank you.  That is gorgeous.

Definitely take that, Lady Lydia!

22 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@Caribou, yes, thank you.  That is gorgeous.

Definitely take that, Lady Lydia!

Thank you very much. 

Also, In the future, I shall refrain from posting whilst tipsy :redwine::margarita:

Being a homemaker is a perfectly valid occupational choice. It's not something I would personally want to do, but some people are truly suited to it and find a lot of happiness in it, and I absolutely think people should be doing whatever work they feel is right for them. I would have no problem with a homemaker setting up a booth at career day to educate my hypothetical future children about what homemaking looks like as an option for adult life. 

I would not be okay with Lady Lydia's particular brand of homemaking education being presented, however, because it's highly sexist and discriminatory. It's fine for girls to be told homemaking is a choice available to them, but it's not okay for them to be told they have no other option. Boys should also be told that it's a choice available to them, and that it's equally valid for a man to keep the home or be a stay-at-home dad. No one should be told that they have to suppress their talents and dreams because of what type of genitals they were born with or be harangued at career day about what God supposedly demands.

Education about homemaking is all well and good. Attempted brainwashing about "gender roles" is not. I would be fine with the former happening at career day, but Lady Lydia seems unable to refrain from the latter.

I have nothing of substance to contribute (probably due to my lady brain) but I was looking at pictures of tiny houses the other day, and when I came across this one: http://shabbychictinyretreat.blogspot.com/ I immediately thought of Lydia.

When I tried to show the girl I was mooning over tiny houses with a picture of Lydia's truck, I was sad to see it's gone, but you guys came through for me in the old thread, bc who knew Penny's house was a hundred times better!? So, so many wedding dresses. Oh lawd.

Today was my first time perusing Lydia's site. I'm sure I'll be doing so again soon, but here's two quick observations:

1. Some of the artwork she featured was lovely

2. She's a wackadoo

I like some of the artwork she shows too. And yes, she is wackadoo in a Mrs. Haversham kind of way. I was so proud of a floral arrangement I put together this morning from my garden but then I logged on to FJ and saw Lady Lydia and it just reminds me of her now. 

image.jpeg

On 7/8/2016 at 4:24 PM, Caribou said:

Take that @Lydia

Rustic bbq table for 9.

image.jpeg

Photo's not visible. Waaaaah!

Never mind! I should have scrolled all the way to the end of the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

@Lydia It's so silly to assume that women outside of the home can't have immaculate homes. I'm a graduate student and my fiance works a very well paid IT job, I don't have much time to "keep house", so he just pays for a housekeeper to come and do it.

Plus, we don't have kids, which means things don't get too messy in the first place. :my_smile:

Well, @Lydia is now acting like your child will grow up incapable of love if they are placed in a daycare. :roll: Yeah, Lydia, get back to us when you give a lecture on how bad it is for children to be raised by overwhelmed mothers who let siblings raise other siblings. I'm thinking that is a pretty shitty way to be raised.  

By the way, I have kids, and no, they aren't detached from me if I ever leave them with someone else like you claim all parents can see. I send them to school and they still don't show any signs of being detached. Lydia, by the way, is entirely too much of a coward to come address things like this or actually have a discussion with mothers who have children in daycare. Lydia can't actually deal with reality, which is why I am amazed she actually made an account here. 

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Lydia can't actually deal with reality, which is why I am amazed she actually made an account here. 

That was so bizarre. I don't know what she thought she was trying to accomplish.

Archived