IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1

Coconut Flan

All I remember from the show last night is the awful self-tanner and caked on eye shadow!   WTF!   Don't the look in the mirror?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Diggingupdirt said:

omg i am so sick and tired of hearing about how dangerous and unsafe CA is!!!!!!! Dangerous and unsafe go hand in hand you don't need to use both words in the same sentence we get it!!

Reminds me of A Few Good Men. "Grave danger?" "Is there any other kind?"

Thanks for the recaps @Buzzard 

my take is they only way to sustain the show is more scandal is that what TLC are hoping for because they sure don't give a shit what they show these days at all. 

I don't want to see a courtship because if it's one of the girls all they have done is go for a daddy clone because that's what I see in Derrick and Ben to some degree. They are both chugging the kook aid by the bucket load sadly. 

So we are doing the sexist roles again girls/women must be homemakers which is a joke in that household as they can't cook unless it's open a can... 

I remember them doing it to Joy way back and she looked mighty pissed off.

I saw the pic of Anna and went wtf is she doing then realised that she does see this as her fault because she is not allowed to say how she really feels it's all keep it sweet bollocks. I can see that backfiring by the way and not in a good way either. Anna is going to lose her shit. You can only suppress so much before it comes out and it can be over the most mundane things but it's all comes from not being allowed to feel proper emotions. I do feel for her in all of this.

so who is doing laundry then cos it bloody ain't JD the lair he wouldn't be allowed to as that isn't mans work only the wimmen have that duty. 

@JenniferJuniper

I agree with you. Josh will have to show. It's "the hook", for ratings.

The way I see it, this is constructed like every "cosy mystery" I've ever read. You regale the reader into a sense of security, while keeping a mystery in the back of their minds. Everyone knows that something is going on, but no one is letting on. Or just enough to keep it fresh. It's just a narrative.

The reveal will happen, but one doesn't know when. That's what keeps viewers watching.

1 hour ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Let's face it; TLC's bullshit would not be complete without an eventual appearance from Josh.  I have not watched the show, but it sounds even more boring than 19 Kids was.  I can't see it being sustained unless someone has a health drama or other tragedy that can be exploited.  With the original show, TLC got "lucky" with Josie's birth and scary early months and a few other real dramas.  Eventually they resorted to the Duggars Do the World.   Looking back, I think I may have watched in later years because I enjoyed seeing smug Josh in DC, sensing like most that he'd eventually be exposed for the total idiot that we knew he was. (not that I had any idea how far that idiocy really went).

Young women with babies and and big defrosted meals in the little house on the highway can't be a long term theme.  Anna can only be exploited so far now that we know she's back with that (invisible) pig.   Unless someone falls down a mine shaft or a pregnancy goes badly, Josh almost has to show, if not on the planned, canned episodes for this series but in a Very Special Redemption Episode.  I almost can't see it not happening.

LOL'd at the bolded - don't give TLC any ideas!  (Producer:  "A little more to your left Ben...a little more...just a bit more...")

8 hours ago, Lillybee said:

To the Duggar's chickenetti is a gourmet meal. 

I notice Hannie dumping a can of slop into the tray of greenbeans so apparently it was the kind of green bean casserole where you have salty canned beans and top it off with a can of high-sodium condensed Campbells cream of something or other soup.  If Hannie can cook better than Jessa, geez, what did they do all those years of being at home. 

I always thought it was funny for that homebound lifestyle that they never gardened or kept any animals.  I see Amish around where I live and they also have a homebound no-TV low-tech lifestyle, but even the young boys can harness horses and work in the fields and the younger girls do the small animal work (getting eggs, etc.).  The Duggars  have so many acres of land and it's just going to waste. They could have a few chickens or goats if they want low maintenance animals, and at least get milk, eggs, learn to make cheese, those kinds of skills.  Most don't know how to sew either.  If you're lifestyle dictates that you never get a job in the outside world and you will have 10+ kids, growing your own food you'd think would be important. 

I have a graduate degree and I grew up in an urban area, and yet I probably know how to sew, cook, garden, and manage animals better than those girls (not a high bar to cross).  I'm a bit older, but all of us learned this from our mothers and grandmothers no matter whether we were planning on having a career or not.

6 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I heard Joy say something that about how if they ate all of those they'd look like "heffalumps." Did I hear that correctly?

We have a list now, Hannie said "ruh roh" from Scooby Doo, others said "Hollywood ending," etc. 

Heffalumps is a great movie for them. It teaches kids to overcome their irrational fears of those different from themselves. TLC could do a heffalump episode by introducing a Catholic to Duggarville and let them live in the TTH for a month or something. And then we can see if the Duggars are morally superior to little Roe and his friends or not.

They most def picked up the phrase "Hollywood ending" from a radiant purity conference or something. They probably do watch movies sometimes, but they're like, straight-to-DVD children's movies out of the walmart bargain bin.

1 hour ago, Funwithfundies said:

LOL'd at the bolded - don't give TLC any ideas!  (Producer:  "A little more to your left Ben...a little more...just a bit more...")

Ooh! TLC should totally go for this drama angle:

John-David is betrothed to Mary Maxwell, but breaks the engagement, so JB offers the Maxwells Joseph instead. They assent, but at the reception, members of the Maxwell family block off the parking lot and cue the Duggar Orchestra to start playing The Rains of Castamere...

Just now, nastyhobbitses said:

Ooh! TLC should totally go for this drama angle:

John-David is betrothed to Mary Maxwell, but breaks the engagement, so JB offers the Maxwells Joseph instead. They assent, but at the reception, members of the Maxwell family block off the parking lot and cue the Duggar Orchestra to start playing The Rains of Castamere...

I love you.

32 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Heffalumps is a great movie for them. It teaches kids to overcome their irrational fears of those different from themselves. TLC could do a heffalump episode by introducing a Catholic to Duggarville and let them live in the TTH for a month or something. And then we can see if the Duggars are morally superior to little Roe and his friends or not.

New reality show, Fundie Wife Swap. Switch the wife/mother with a family of different religious fundamentalism and watch the sparks fly!

25 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

New reality show, Fundie Wife Swap. Switch the wife/mother with a family of different religious fundamentalism and watch the sparks fly!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this.

11 hours ago, anotherone said:

I did kind of get why Anna wanted to go back to the Duggars though.  When she was sitting on the sofa before she gave her thanks speech, it just looked like she reveled in all the fuss and business of the family.  I think her own family was cold and unemotional, so she was getting more out of the duggars.  That's kind of sad to think, if I want the love of a family I must accept the pig back into my marriage.

But, the Duggars are cold and unemotional. I'm having a hard time believing her own family was worse.

11 minutes ago, season of life said:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want this.

At the end of the season, the loser has to go swap with the Nauglers.

Josh will reappear.

The courting they keep alluding to will be Josh "courting" Anna before they renew their vows in front of the whole gang and JB & DQ who will spew crap about how everything is better now and then JB will (in his twisted, joking manner) try to give Joshley sex advice again.

Hey girls, I'd rather see the Hollywood ending--the one where Jen Garner sent Ben Afflecks' sorry ass to the curb for cheating with the nanny.

Thanks @Buzzard for the recaps, you really fall on your sword so the rest of us don't have to sit through it all. :clap:

My thoughts (in no particular order):

They obviously never really stopped filming. TLC has merely changed the name to reflect the dry husk that is the womb of Meechelle.

The show is the same, JB &M were still there, Joshie will reappear next season (if not sooner), there'll be a reunion special no doubt. To be fair to him (bear with me) I think it is wrong for them to talk about him in the show when he currently has no platform to address TLCs narrative of what happened. Either he's on the show or he isn't, take as an example (Jesus, I'm about to mention the Kardashians as a standard to hold the Duggars up to) Keeping up with the Kardashians. They have family members (Rob, Kanye bloody West) who want no part of the show and as a result they are never mentioned. TLC are obviously planning to reintroduce the new improved godly Josh.

Anna is obviously trying (bless her) to make herself look 'hot for josh'. That dark colour doesn't suit her, she has lovely blonde hair, why would she colour it? Does Josh have a thing for brunettes? (kill me now). Someone needs to confiscate the bronzer.

They are obviously addressing the internet with the 'look we can cook' aspect, unfortunately, the only people they impress by making 'not out of a packet' mash potatoes is themselves.

Jessa saying if they want to eat proper food they go to TTH. What happened to the whole biblical leave and cleave thing? I'm all for rocking up to the parents house for sunday lunch etc but they need to be independent.

And finally...........

Will they tell us in the next episode what Bin actually does, you know, for an actual job? (seeing as they're addressing the internet).  I'd really like to know, in words of one syllable, what THEY think he does.

Jessa sure has that 'I'm the only woman in the world who's ever raised a baby' act down. She's almost as smug as Josh. Bin seems high 24/7. Jill and Derick are idiots. What exactly are they doing, besides living off donations for their fake ministry, and telling people in Central America how totally awesome they, and Christianity are? Anna needs to open her eyes! Smugs deserves to be hung out to dry. He should not be forgiven, for what these idiots see as 'teenage mistakes'. All in all, this was boring!

9 hours ago, OodOnTheLoo said:

She is probably getting enough calories for the first time in her life.  Couple that with those awesome baby hormones, a paycheck, a break from sex with Bin...she is in the best spot she has ever been in.

awesome baby hormones - explain that to me - I agree about the individual paycheck because last night Ben has come from the horny TH to the TH of someone who is not so pleased with his life despite what he says - compare when he and Jessa were at the shooting range to last night - drastic - sex can do that obviously 

and I think by now they are having sex again - just using bc because of the adoption Jessa must have 

11 minutes ago, ljohnson2006 said:

Jessa sure has that 'I'm the only woman in the world who's ever raised a baby' act down. She's almost as smug as Josh. Bin seems high 24/7. Jill and Derick are idiots. What exactly are they doing, besides living off donations for their fake ministry, and telling people in Central America how totally awesome they, and Christianity are? Anna needs to open her eyes! Smugs deserves to be hung out to dry. He should not be forgiven, for what these idiots see as 'teenage mistakes'. All in all, this was boring!

There was something off about Ben last night 

Pondering the recap, one thing bothers me. (Of course a million things do, but this one I can't make sense of.) What is Josh' role in his family going to be? We all assume he is back to being Anna's master, authority umbrella and restored patriarch. But that picture does not go together with his wife continuing to remind the world of his sins on cable TV. As long as she takes the victim role, he remains a perpetrator, even if a 'forgiven' one. I cannot imagine Josh being happy with continually being depicted as a fallen husband,  mercifully accepted back by his saintly wife and long suffering family. And if he is not happy with it, as head of the family, he can just tell Anna to shut up about it. He is no longer in jail. He is right there with her, watching the episodes.

Even if he was sincerely sorry, how would Anna talking about him on TV help rebuild trust and respect between them? I feel that since they accepted him back, they cannot keep humiliating him in public. You wanted him back. So shut up and move on. And if you need to talk, by all means, talk to a marriage therapist, together if possible. 

3 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Pondering the recap, one thing bothers me. (Of course a million things do, but this one I can't make sense of.) What is Josh' role in his family going to be? We all assume he is back to being Anna's master, authority umbrella and restored patriarch. But that picture does not go together with his wife continuing to remind the world of his sins on cable TV. As long as she takes the victim role, he remains a perpetrator, even if a 'forgiven' one. I cannot imagine Josh being happy with continually being depicted as a fallen husband,  mercifully accepted back by his saintly wife and long suffering family. And if he is not happy with it, as head of the family, he can just tell Anna to shut up about it. He is no longer in jail. He is right there with her, watching the episodes.

Even if he was sincerely sorry, how would Anna talking about him on TV help rebuild trust and respect between them? I feel that since they accepted him back, they cannot keep humiliating him in public. You wanted him back. So shut up and move on. And if you need to talk, by all means, talk to a marriage therapist, together if possible. 

These peeps wouldn't get real help to save their lives. I think Josh's new role is going to be the guy that shuts up and does whatever Dad wants. He's fallen from grace and lost his job. He depends on JB now more than ever. It doesn't matter how he feels because at this point, he doesn't have the skills or the drive, even, to get a job of his own. So long as he is dependent upon his parents for financial support, Josh isn't going to comment on his reputation.

After reading Buzzard's recap, it seems like I didn't miss much. After seeing Anna's pic on here, I want to chase after her with some face powder, turn her make-up gun down from the "whore" setting, and steal all of her bronzer.

I can't say anything else really, since I didn't watch the show. 

9 hours ago, RoseWilder said:

I agree that this would happen either way. They weren't going to let Hannah be an independent tomboy forever.

I just think the timing of when this actually happened is because Jana is leaving soon. They seem very inconsistent with the timing of when they try to force independent-minded girls to act ladylike (I could barely type that word without gagging.) Jana was 7 (that's when Michelle had her laundry room meltdown.) JoyAnna seemed a lot older than that when they started trying to mold her into a J'Slave. I think she was about 13/14 (right around the time when JimBo started trying to marry his daughters off). And now they're starting in on Hannah at 10-years-old. 

The only consistent pattern I see here is that their childhood always seems to end right at the time when JimBob and Michelle are in danger of actually have to get off their lazy butts and cook their own food, do their own laundry and raise their own children. 

That's what makes me assume that a J'Slave vacancy is about to open up. 

I agree, there's definitely not a consistent pattern except when it appears like  the load of raising 19 kids is too much for the kids to do on their own. That said, Jill and Jessa left and were replaced by Joy, but maybe Jana, Jinger, and Joy felt the strain of two girls leaving anyway and waited til Hannah was a little older to start publicly forcing her to be a lady? I mean they did it to the older girls way earlier but they're on TV now. Maybe TLC advised them that forcing a 9 year old to train as a helpmeet wouldn't go over well and they have tried to hold out?

Could also be a courtship, I just don't think that's the only possibility. I think the only thing we can be sure of is it is J'chelle not wanting to actually raise her own kids. 

10 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

It's obvious that Anna has become really insecure with her appearance. She has lost of a lot of weight, from stress most likely, she is very tan, she curls her hair and wears a lot of make up, smoky eye and all in broad daylight. She looks great but since these are sudden changes she has made, ti's obvious she is being made to feel like Joshley's cheating was her fault.

I agree, and I truly feel horrible for her.  Can you imagine being raised to believe that essentially your purpose in life is to fulfill your husband sexually and provide eleventy kids for him?  And then you learn that your husband wasn't just unfaithful - but literally sought out affairs through multiple online profiles.  She might be thinking that he didn't just happen to see a hot girl and got carried away, it wasn't a drunk thing, he sought it out methodically.  And she might believe he never would have felt the need to do that if she had been fulfilling his needs.  She wasn't enough for him.  But - maybe if she loses weight and bounces right back from pregnancy, does her hair all fancy. looks tan, has smoky eyes, lipgloss, etc. - then maybe she will be enough for him.  But at the same time, how will she know what is "enough"?  So it's just constant insecurity and second guessing.

It's just so sad.

**In case anyone misreads my tone, I do NOT believe in what I wrote above.  I'm just saying what I believe Anna may be feeling, and why I think she's likely very insecure and why I feel so sad for her.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived