IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1

Coconut Flan

I'm very surprised at the number of people who think Joshley doesn't want to/won't stay ATI/quiverfull/cult. He's called Smuggs for a reason. ATI gives him superiority. Over other ATI families (until the Joshgates, the Duggars were ATI superstars), over other Christians (I'm better than you because I'm the right kind of Christian), over other conservatives (landing a job he was very not qualified for), over Anna and his children. I think his deep belief in his superiority as a man/Christian/headship/whatever is precisely what got him here. He didn't believe he would get caught because he is deeply entrenched in a world where men, especially well known and powerful men, do as they please and no one ever says anything. I honestly think this scandal MAY break him from ATI but more likely will drive him deeper into it. I'm sure their way of thinking is very appealing right now. Blame it all on Satan and Anna, pray a little bit, be forgiven and eventually all will be well. The outside world will never forget. The cult? Some will and some won't but their theology says they're supposed to, he may have a better shot in than out. Plus he gets to retain his headship authority over Anna and the kids and given how much the Smuggs likes power I'm sure he doesn't want to relinquish that when he has lost most of his other areas of influence. 

Maybe he will surprise me, of course. It is possible that this will awaken him to not wanting to be ATI but it just seems to me he's more likely to seek refuge in the cult than outside it. 

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

I don't think so!  She's only ten years old.  If she were a normal kid, she's be playing with Barbie dolls and reading Harry Potter books.

10? poor baby. she needs to be allowed to be a little kid for longer. No reason to push growing up so fast, especially since they are isolated and homeschooled- she doesn't have to be pushed in to the tween crowd so fast.  Most kids love to help in the kitchen- boys and girls, from a very young age.  There's a huge difference between helping stir the cookie dough, or adding veggies to the soup- and learning to serve your brothers hand and foot. Very big.  

This family tries to pass these things off as "oh, they're just helping with household chores, and it's good when siblings play/work together".  But really they are training the girls to be little mommy's.

41 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

Can I just say that 'starter boobs' may be the greatest phrase I've heard in a while.

I think it's really creepy considering she is ten. 

2 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I think it's really creepy considering she is ten. 

I found it a bit creepy too.  I think the term is breast buds? but i'm not 100% certain. 

6 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm very surprised at the number of people who think Joshley doesn't want to/won't stay ATI/quiverfull/cult. He's called Smuggs for a reason. ATI gives him superiority. Over other ATI families (until the Joshgates, the Duggars were ATI superstars), over other Christians (I'm better than you because I'm the right kind of Christian), over other conservatives (landing a job he was very not qualified for), over Anna and his children. I think his deep belief in his superiority as a man/Christian/headship/whatever is precisely what got him here. He didn't believe he would get caught because he is deeply entrenched in a world where men, especially well known and powerful men, do as they please and no one ever says anything. I honestly think this scandal MAY break him from ATI but more likely will drive him deeper into it. I'm sure their way of thinking is very appealing right now. Blame it all on Satan and Anna, pray a little bit, be forgiven and eventually all will be well. The outside world will never forget. The cult? Some will and some won't but their theology says they're supposed to, he may have a better shot in than out. Plus he gets to retain his headship authority over Anna and the kids and given how much the Smuggs likes power I'm sure he doesn't want to relinquish that when he has lost most of his other areas of influence. 

Maybe he will surprise me, of course. It is possible that this will awaken him to not wanting to be ATI but it just seems to me he's more likely to seek refuge in the cult than outside it. 

It's worked that way for Gothard, for the most part.  Look at all the trouble he's been in. What a great leader they picked to emulate :puke-front:

1 minute ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I found it a bit creepy too.  I think the term is breast buds? but i'm not 100% certain. 

It's worked that way for Gothard, for the most part.  Look at all the trouble he's been in. What a great leader they picked to emulate :puke-front:

Now I'm really curious. What's the apropo way a young woman should refer to her body when she starts to develop? Budding bosom? My other dropped her voice to a whisper and simply said "your... chest." like I had two bright orange dildo's growing.

13 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

I don't think so!  She's only ten years old.  If she were a normal kid, she's be playing with Barbie dolls and reading Harry Potter books.

Sort of depends on the child and the environment, but 10 was when I started to transition out of "kid" things and into "teenager" things.  It's when I first started listening to popular music, caring about clothes, caring about boys, and I had caboodles full of body/face glitter (from Claire's!), "iced" eyeshadow, and more Bonne Bell lip products than you could shake a stick at.

9/10 was a big age at my school because that's when you were allowed to walk around the perimeter of the playground and talk instead of staying in your class "zone".  So for us, 9 was when we stopped trying to be "kids" and started trying to emulate the "big girls".  

Officially, I didn't play with Barbies past 8.  I mean, if I was watching some little kid and they wanted to play, I was game.  Neither did I play with my American Girl Dolls (officially).  I just dressed them and arranged them.  

Harry Potter doesn't count because it is as much of an adult thing as a kid thing :)

7 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Harry Potter doesn't count because it is as much of an adult thing as a kid thing :)

I don't think the Duggars are allowed to read Harry Potter. (Witchcraft and the Devil might build a fortress in their hearts like he did to Josh.)

1 minute ago, DuggarWatch said:

I don't think the Duggars are allowed to read Harry Potter. (Witchcraft and the Devil might build a fortress in their hearts like he did to Josh.)

The last few years, while publicly stating I was fighting against witchcraft in our muggle country, in my heart I had allowed Harry Potter to build a fortress that no one knew about.

7 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Now I'm really curious. What's the apropo way a young woman should refer to her body when she starts to develop? Budding bosom? My other dropped her voice to a whisper and simply said "your... chest." like I had two bright orange dildo's growing.

According to healthychildren.org: 

Breast Development (Thelarche)

The first visible evidence of puberty in girls is a nickel-sized lump under one or both nipples. Breast buds, as these are called, typically occur around age nine or ten, although they may occur much earlier, or somewhat later

So, breast buds.  and i'm not going to address this further as i find it creepy. especially in reference to a specific child.

Harry Potter is for everyone.  But i'd bet you a stack of donuts the duggar children have never read it, and may barely know of it's existence.  Many mainstream christians still won't let their kids read it because witchcraft/magic, no mention of god, etc.  And some how the duggar kids not getting to read harry potter makes me so sad for them. I mean, they are neglected and abused on many levels. But no hp? sadness. :(

Finally watched my DVR--thanks to @Buzzard, I was able to fast forward through quite a bit.

I really like Joy--I liked when she acknowledged Hannie eating the whipped cream and made the comment about letting the kid come out.  #FreeJoy

Jana is so over this show.

Hey Jill-I think the preposition you're looking for is 'in" not "on".  The usual expression is "in the mission field"  Of course, maybe when you're faking the whole mission thing and grifting for your livelihood, it's better to use on.

Jinger and Anna both need to take make up lesson from someone other than J'Shelle.  They both lean towards her style more bronzer the better (to misquote Bin).

Anna sounds more and more like J'shelle.  She's got the baby voice down and refers to feelings in the third person.   She never talks about how she feels, but how someone going through what she is/has feels.

Go away JB and DQ--just go.

Let's move on from discussing the body of a ten year old child, please.  It's indeed squicky and beneath us as an ongoing topic of conversation.

2 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

Good point @Bad Wolf I very well could have missed that. Kudos to Jill if she is teaching Izzy to sign.

what i saw wasn't the (baby) sign "eat", i'd have to watch it again to see if he actually makes the sign...but i'm not going to put myself through that again LOL

Oh well, Unless someone wants to take one for the team, I will still feel it was like watching someone train a dog.

1 hour ago, DuggarWatch said:

More like being on an iPad and being all about Kylie Jenner!

Jk, but not really. 10 year olds seem so old nowadays! 

1 hour ago, OrchidBlossom said:

Josh is in a PERFECT place. He's set for the rest of his life in that cult. Other than having to have children (and it's not like he really has to do much, just say taking care of the children is a woman's job and wipe your hands of it), he can do whatever he wants, and everything he does wrong he can blame on Anna not being good enough. OR blame on the devil, or the liberal media, or the worldly community.

Plus, every time he says sorry everyone has to believe him because God has forgiven him so they have to as well. And if they don't? They're sinners.

It's literally perfect.

The only thing I can see that could get him to leave is if he doesn't have the freedom he wants. BUT I can see them being harsh on the punishment and make it so that he needs an accountability buddy for every action, but then everyone getting lazy and letting him do whatever after a few months.

At 10, I was still playing with Barbies, riding my bike/skates/skateboard around the neighborhood and reading Nancy Drew/Babysitters' Club. No one was forcing me to grow up or slow down. I was allowed to mature at my own pace. We have no idea if Johannah wants to be in the kitchen or the backyard because it was never going to be her choice. She lives by the Duggar timeline when to become a mini-adult. Sadly, I also guess she has reached the age where she is no longer allowed to be best friends with Jackson, which breaks my heart. 

Ben likely seems uninterested because he has realized that once he got to have sex with the hot girl, there wasn't really anything left in their relationship. He is also likely bored out of his mind being home all day with Jessa and the baby. I think he expected fame and fortune and instead he now has a kid and is stuck in an environment that has likely been tense and testy since the scandals broke. No doubt some of his friends are out having fun and he is just watching his wife change diapers. He might finally realize he is in over his head. 

As to Anna, I think she and Josh will enter a marriage of understanding. He will cheat again and again, and Anna will pretend she doesn't know. She isn't going to leave. At some point, she may come to accept and ultimately enjoy being the martyr. I say this because Anna will be living the way she was raised and in alignment with her belief system. Put up with anything your man does, no matter out outrageous, just pray to the Lord for strength to make it through and do nothing else to change the situation you are now stuck in. She lives the life of the perfect Gothard wife. People in her circle will admire her for it. 

51 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

what i saw wasn't the (baby) sign "eat", i'd have to watch it again to see if he actually makes the sign...but i'm not going to put myself through that again LOL

I didn't catch the sign in the actual show, but during clips and promos i saw her having him sign please. it felt very much like training a dog. And i'm all for teaching a baby signs. just not for making a child or a baby say please (or sign it) before each bite. food should be a given right ,not something you have to politely request- at least not from mommy.

51 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Josh is in a PERFECT place. He's set for the rest of his life in that cult. Other than having to have children (and it's not like he really has to do much, just say taking care of the children is a woman's job and wipe your hands of it), he can do whatever he wants, and everything he does wrong he can blame on Anna not being good enough. OR blame on the devil, or the liberal media, or the worldly community.

Plus, every time he says sorry everyone has to believe him because God has forgiven him so they have to as well. And if they don't? They're sinners.

It's literally perfect.

The only thing I can see that could get him to leave is if he doesn't have the freedom he wants. BUT I can see them being harsh on the punishment and make it so that he needs an accountability buddy for every action, but then everyone getting lazy and letting him do whatever after a few months.

Exactly. Not to mention eventually they'll need to move into their own home again (rumor has it they may have already?) so who is going to be his buddy? Not Anna, that wouldn't be proper because he is her headship. He's just got to ride out the storm. 

9 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I didn't catch the sign in the actual show, but during clips and promos i saw her having him sign please. it felt very much like training a dog. And i'm all for teaching a baby signs. just not for making a child or a baby say please (or sign it) before each bite. food should be a given right ,not something you have to politely request- at least not from mommy.

I saw the baby sign but had no idea which one it was. I guess I assumed it meant "food". I'm just starting to make my two year old incorporate "please" into her vocabulary. I mean, the kid has only been able express what she wants clearly for a few months, I think asking her to do it in a specific way and to show gratitude for her snacks was a bit much before now. But she is old enough to get it now, so I don't have any problem waiting until I hear an occasional "pwease?"

1 minute ago, littlemommy said:

I saw the baby sign but had no idea which one it was. I guess I assumed it meant "food". I'm just starting to make my two year old incorporate "please" into her vocabulary. I mean, the kid has only been able express what she wants clearly for a few months, I think asking her to do it in a specific way and to show gratitude for her snacks is a bit much. But she is old enough to get it now, so I don't have any problem waiting until I hear an occasional "pwease?"

"food" is signed by putting fingers and thumb together and up to your mouth. sort of hard to describe. please is an open palm circled over chest.   We're still finding balance with my almost four year old on when to demand a please, and when to just let it go. I find modeling saying please a lot is the most helpful. I don't mind making her say please for things, even food. But to have him at the table, having to sign please, for every. single. bite.  as a baby.  it's like making your dog sit or down for their cookies.  Fine for a dog of course. not so great for an infant :( not in my book.  it's literally your job to feed him jill- it's n ot some special favor you are bestowing on him t hat he has to plead for.

And you don't make your dog do that just to eat their food--maybe just for treats. When my dog needs breakfast, he just needs breakfast. 

Yeah, every bite is too much. Especially as a baby with no concept of "please". I have a friend who makes her kid say please every time she picks him up, so he thinks "Up, please" is one word--"Uppies!" 

4 hours ago, Jenirishdancer said:

I wonder if part of Ben's deal is that he is "upset" that he doesn't get as much attention as he did before from jessa.  Spurge is clearly her focus now, and she seems really into him.  Ben used to be the one to get all of her attention and the one who her focus was on. 

Which is very common among new fathers, especially young ones.

That boy was so not ready for any of this.  

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived