IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

32 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Working for ATI (or anyone for that matter) means that you at least have the responsibility of showing up on time, not on Duggar time.  He was almost 26 when he got married, so naturally he was more mature than Ben's 19.  

Ben was a teenage groom who didn't have the maturity to get married.  He should have waited a few years until he could prove he had responsibility and a job, but unfortunately his dick thought differently and he married because he was ultra horny.

Duggar time drives me crazy, but let's think about the fact that Brandon is showing up on time for a job at a cult headquarters. 

I agree that Ben was too immature to get married and still has some growing up to do. His behavior reminds me of just about any 19 year old boy I have met. Brandon is much more mature, but he too is heavily involved with telling people what to believe. It is just not as obvious or as obnoxious as Ben's methods.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't decide which family is worse. I think they are both really awful.

And I know it's a shallow comment...but I seriously hate those gigantic hair bows these people put on their kids.

2 minutes ago, Ali said:

Brandon is much more mature

That's not really saying much. My 2 year old is probably more mature than Ben.

The nice thing about Jessa and Ben is that I can't imagine many people see that couple on TV and say "Yes, SIGN ME UP!  Get me one of those Bens!"

But if someone told me I could get a husband like Chad Paine and all I had to do was sign up for a crazy cult and give away basically all of my hopes, dreams, and personhood....there were times in my life where I was low enough that I might have seriously considered that.  

Since I don't actually watch the Bates' show (they annoy me so much)....

Can someone fill me in on why Chad is apparently do great? I think I remember being told he lets Erin work but I can't remember what else was so great about him.

Smart people keep quiet about their dangerous beliefs. It's all too easy to pass for sweet and nice. The Bates strive to be warm and kind, not only as a family but because they want others to forget about their beliefs. The Duggars are lacking in the charm department, which is why it's easy for a fairly intelligent human being to zone in on their hurtful ideals.

2 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Can someone fill me in on why Chad is apparently do great? I think I remember being told he lets Erin work but I can't remember what else was so great about him.

I like him because he is physically attractive (IMO), supportive of his wife in her individual dreams and pursuits, and works hard around the house to make it a beautiful and comfortable home for his family.  For me, it really started when Erin was on partial bed rest with Carson.  Chad took over a lot of "her" work/chores to allow her more time to rest.  I know a lot of non-fundie husbands who would have issues with that.   I personally would love to have a husband who supports me and is handy around the house. The man makes some pretty nice furniture.  

He may not be for anyone, but unlike Jim Bob, Gil, Josh, and Ben, Chad actually seems like a good husband.  Yes, he has terrible beliefs, but he seems to really understand how to be there for his wife and child(ren).

14 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I suppose it's because, on top of letting Erin work, he seems to care for her general wellbeing and tries to make her happy (remember that horrific pink bedroom he was cool with sleeping in?). Now, obviously a spouse should be generous and kind, but because he's a fundie and we've seen other fundie husbands (Smuggar, Bin, Pecan Thief), he comes off as a shining knight.

Why is Chad so great @ClaraOswin?  In my opinion it's because he's soft spoken and comes off as very nice and considerate.  Always ready to lend a hand.  He's a jack of all trades and it looks like he does pretty much everything well.  He cuts her brothers hair, acts as photographer for family occasions and restores furniture. Erin has even said that he does most of the laundry.  He seems to really love and value Erin, and not only as a missile for his arrows.  He's proud of her every accomplishment.  If not for the ass backwards beliefs he would be a great catch for anyone.  As is, he's a great catch for a fundie.

Thank you to those who answered my question. :) And "thanks" to the person who gave me a downvote for asking a question. Haha! :my_biggrin:

29 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

As is, he's a great catch for a fundie.

To be fair, the bar is REALLY low there.  I realized when writing my response that a shorter way of putting it would be "He's the only man we talk about here that doesn't continually make me want to yell at him or punch him in the face every time he opens his mouth."

So, also that I guess.  

7 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Thank you to those who answered my question. :) And "thanks" to the person who gave me a downvote for asking a question. Haha! :my_biggrin:

Forgot to mention that he also designs her album covers.  Too bad he's been stifled in this cult.  In the normal world the sky would have been the limit for a man like that.

8 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Yeah I didn't understand that downvote. Even with all his marvelous qualities, Chad's children will be raised with hideous beliefs. 

I have a hard time not liking both Erin and Chad. I just have to keep telling myself that they would vote to take my rights away as a woman and my brother's rights away as a gay man and remember why I shouldn't fall for their "sweetness" :my_dodgy:

Just popping in here, to say that we probably only see roughly 5% of their lives. And that percentage is in front of cameras and on social media, so presumably they're putting their best foot forward so-to-speak. The TV shows are heavily edited, too. Just something to keep in mind while forming opinions. And of course, they're in a cult. :)

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

And I know it's a shallow comment...but I seriously hate those gigantic hair bows these people put on their kids.

I don't think it is necessarily shallow. The objection is not just about a style preference, it is what the giant head flowers represent that is so annoying. The fear that people might think the tiny baby was a boy or not know which narrowly-defined gender box to put the kid in.

is ben working for his father in law's company really all that different than brendan working for IBLP? after all, his father in law is on the board of IBLP

My husband is definitely equally kind, helpful, giving, and romantic as Chad, but I have to admit that Chad seems like more of a "hero." I figured out that being all that and a fundie makes him seem extra special, as several people have said. However, it also goes the opposite way: He is wonderful BUT has disgusting beliefs and isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. It's a weird thing, to "like" someone so much on a personal level but then remember how deeply unethical their beliefs are and that if he wasn't fundie he'd just be a nice husband and not a magical being. It's a little disorienting. 

They are also both fairly outgoing and believe they are part of a "ministry," so they are very public with their romance in a way that others wouldn't be. 

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

@nelliebelle1197, the Bates are actually worse than the Duggars regarding IBLP! Appearances are not everything. 

To clarify, I was not admonishing but I was agreeing! Just because the Bates may "appear" better than the Duggars they are most decidely not better, since as @nelliebelle1197 pointed out, Gilnis in the inner circle of IBLP and JB is not. I worded my quoted post poorly. 

I think we all agree that both families have really fucked up beliefs, but that is also the reason why we follow them and other fundies in here, what makes them interesting.

I personally cant bring myself to follow the Duggars after knowing what Josh did to the girls, its too morbid for me, but i get how it may even add interest to some people.

1 hour ago, jas said:

I don't think it is necessarily shallow. The objection is not just about a style preference, it is what the giant head flowers represent that is so annoying. The fear that people might think the tiny baby was a boy or not know which narrowly-defined gender box to put the kid in.

And sometimes it's just because people like them. I have fundie friends who hate big bows and flower headbands, and liberal non-religious friends whose babies always have one on. They're also majorly a southern thing, along with smocking and monograms. 

25 minutes ago, Diana said:

I think we all agree that both families have really fucked up beliefs, but that is also the reason why we follow them and other fundies in here, what makes them interesting.

I personally cant bring myself to follow the Duggars after knowing what Josh did to the girls, its too morbid for me, but i get how it may even add interest to some people.

Doesn't make them interesting at all to me. It makes me intensely dislike them. I don't "follow" them per SE, but aim to miss no opportunity to call attention to those fucked up beliefs that are in place no matter how cute the babies are. And how can Josh molesting his sisters make the Duggar's more interesting? If anything it makes Josh more repulsive and their beliefs and upbringing more noxious.

I find The Walking Dead interesting.

6 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

I'm probably just a cranky old curmudgeon but the hashtags that Michael adds on her posts seem excessive. Does the full description of the meal have to be in hashtag form? Obviously this is small potatoes compared to the many other grievous acts committed by fundies, but annoying just the same. #curmudgeon #justignoremeimtiredandcranky #dumbfundies

It's an Instagram thing. More hashtags give you more exposure, therefore more "likes" / followers.

Or something like that - they could be really obscure hashtags that Michael uses as well.

23 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

And sometimes it's just because people like them. I have fundie friends who hate big bows and flower headbands, and liberal non-religious friends whose babies always have one on. They're also majorly a southern thing, along with smocking and monograms. 

I LOVE smocking - however is it wrong of me to think it's rather "old school"? I don't have kids so I don't really know about children's fashions.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

To clarify, I was not admonishing but I was agreeing! Just because the Bates may "appear" better than the Duggars they are most decidely not better, since as @nelliebelle1197 pointed out, Gilnis in the inner circle of IBLP and JB is not. I worded my quoted post poorly. 

It's okay! I got you! :)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived