IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

1 minute ago, Melissa1977 said:

When has Alyssa said she only wants 6 kids?

I think she is somehow corageous and standing by herself. But don't forget John's siblings seem to use birth control, so saying she is not having 19 kids is against Bates but not against Websters.

About clothes, I don't think Alyssa is choosing jeans and modern dresses to built any political image. I think she just loves it. When she was living with her parents, she was the less frumpy of all the girls.

Seeing how much she loves being thin and having quiet time, I think she's not even having 6 kids. Time will say, but Bates influence will be weaker and weaker for Alyssa as time goes by.

There's a recent "name that bates" where they do the chalkboards with questions. She said she wants six, and John answered correctly that she wants six. When asked how many he wants, she said eight and he said six. He said his rule is that he wants however many she wants. It was kinda cute actually. 

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, refugee said:

Well, you have to distinguish them *somehow*. I find it sad that Katie's only distinguishing feature appears to be the number of letters in her name. How about "loves to sing" or "has an amazing gift with animals" or "has perfected the cartwheel" or something like that?

It also says Katie likes to hunt deer, if that is not an distinguising feature then i dont know what it is! is deer hunting considered lady like in the states??

7 minutes ago, Diana said:

It also says Katie likes to hunt deer, if that is not an distinguising feature then i dont know what it is! is deer hunting considered lady like in the states??

Because guns and Murca

6 hours ago, JMO said:

Has anyone else spent time recently on the newest Bates website?  The descriptions of the family are so genderized that it drives me nuts.  The boys are inevitably described as "all boy", "competitive", and "keeps us in stitches" while the girls are all described as a "Christ-like young lady" and helping with the younger kids, teaching the younger kids, etc.  I know it's not a surprise but it tends to drive home what we already know.  Also, they list a fact for every child.  "Josie is the only child with curly hair", "Warden is a great singer", "Katie Grace Bates has 5 letters in each of her names" and my favorite, "Isaiah is the only Bates to be airlifted to a hospital".  WTF?  How does that gel with the other superficial ones? I also learned in her description that Carlin hands out 30 tracts a month and runs a Bible Club that encourages other young women to do the same. 

I wonder if Jill-Rod is supplying those miracle tracts.

1 hour ago, Diana said:

There is nothing as lady like as killing animals and then cooking them so the menfolk can sit and scratch their most precious gifts :pb_lol:

I agree that time will tell how many Alyssa has. She may get to 2 or 3 and decide that's a handful and stop, or she may get to 6 and decide to have 2 or 4 more.

Time will indeed tell how many kids they have, but the fact they both seemed to be on board with 6 is a good sign because they have clearly had a discussion bout it beyond 'Whatever the lord blesses us with'. 

8 hours ago, JillyO said:

That's Lawson as well. You can see that two pictures were merged in the middle.

Thank you.  I see it now but was so confused earlier.  :my_blush:

11 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'm confused about Lawson's pic from Pensacola beach posted yesterday.  Are they on vacation in Florida YET AGAIN (and tanning their unmarried shoulders, I see) ?  Or is this an old pic?  Are they making another visit to Pensacola Christian College?  I think Kelly and a couple of the older girls visited last fall. Michael, I believe, stated that Carlin "graduates" from the school of the dining room table this spring. Might she be PCC bound?

I may or may not have been intensely creeping on this picture :kitty-shifty: and saw what looked like one of the bates friends comment and ask "Did y'all enjoy PCC?" 

which I understand now is Pensacola Christian College

On 3/23/2016 at 3:49 AM, bashfulpixie said:

I sincerely hope that Taliban Dan is one of the people who lose their congressional seat with the new redistricting in Florida.

That said- I try not to paint the Bates kids with their parents' brush.  If and when they start showing their ass publicly (like Josh and Jessa), then I'll start judging them too.  Until then, I'll assume they have their parents poisonous beliefs and hope that being out on their own will open their eyes so they can move away from the cult.

They do make adorable babies though.

I know what "showing their ass" means, but in the context of fundiedom, I pictured some fundie kid taking nudes or dressing REALLY immodestly.

And by kid I mean kidult, as in over 18.

I may or may not have been intensely creeping on this picture :kitty-shifty: and saw what looked like one of the bates friends comment and ask "Did y'all enjoy PCC?" 

which I understand now is Pensacola Christian College

Maybe one of the sisters or brothers wants to attend PCC? I know nothing about it except what I deduced from looking at the site months ago. Seems relatively strict rules-wise, but can't be any worse than Crown.

Maybe Carlin (is that the one not yet in college, or is it Tori? Brain's not working right now) wants to attend and will live with Alyssa in Florida? I mean I highly doubt it, but I could dream of her having influence on a little sister.

21 minutes ago, HRM1216 said:

Maybe one of the sisters or brothers wants to attend PCC? I know nothing about it except what I deduced from looking at the site months ago. Seems relatively strict rules-wise, but can't be any worse than Crown.

Maybe Carlin (is that the one not yet in college, or is it Tori? Brain's not working right now) wants to attend and will live with Alyssa in Florida? I mean I highly doubt it, but I could dream of her having influence on a little sister.

I doubt that she will live with Alyssa but being closer to her could mean that they could hang out more. That might be even better really, both the influences of college, being closer to her sister and away from her parents. I assume it is a place with pretty strict rules but there will be at least some exposure to people with different views even if the differences are smaller. Sometimes this is even more "damaging", it is easier to adopt a slightly more liberal standpoint than your parents and then go on evolving than to go from one extreme to the other. In general the Bates kids show at least some independence from their parents and this might be helped along by being away from them and closer to a sister who has made her own choices as well.

Florida is a big state. Pensacola is 435 miles (700 km) from Winter Garden (in the Orlando area) where Alyssa lives. Pensacola is just over 520 miles from the Bates in Rocky Top.

I think there is a good chance that Carlin is going to attend PCC in the fall, but she would be too far from Alyssa to live there. She could visit on weekends but it would be an only slightly shorter trip than going home Tennessee. And would the Bates be comfortable with her travelling alone?

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Florida is a big state. Pensacola is 435 miles (700 km) from Winter Garden (in the Orlando area) where Alyssa lives. Pensacola is just over 520 miles from the Bates in Rocky Top.

I think there is a good chance that Carlin is going to attend PCC in the fall, but she would be too far from Alyssa to live there. She could visit on weekends but it would be an only slightly shorter trip than going home Tennessee. And would the Bates be comfortable with her travelling alone?

Forget about the family, doesn't PCC have strict rules about students traveling alone?

Its PCC considered to be a real college? The titles they give have any value? If not i dont think being in a very strict religious collegue campus away from her family would be any better than still living at home. 

1 hour ago, Diana said:

Its PCC considered to be a real college? The titles they give have any value? If not i dont think being in a very strict religious collegue campus away from her family would be any better than still living at home. 

It is an accredited school, I believe. And by "believe" I mean, wikipedia said so. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if they let some kids study at a college like PCC. Even if they just do so to look normal. They must know how the Duggars come across with they adult kids hanging around at home. There's also the fact that they can afford to send their kids to college now.

The currently highest ranking GOP woman in Congress, Cathy McMorris Rogers, graduated from PCC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_McMorris_Rodgers

And PCC publishes the A Beka homeschool curriculum that the Bates use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensacola_Christian_College#A_Beka_Book

Brandon Keilen's grandfather was a criminal justice professor at PCC for 23 years: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pensacolanewsjournal/obituary.aspx?pid=123949195

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Forget about the family, doesn't PCC have strict rules about students traveling alone?

I believe so. I seriously cannot fathom a university that micromanages their students' lives so much.

I despise that Alyssa supports Taliban Dan. I don't care what she wears or how she takes up for herself, this makes her dangerous.

A really interesting article on PCC: http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1688-5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html

It's from a woman who graduated from there and recounts some of the awful, strange experiences she had. Checks off on all of the crazy. (sorry if this has been posted already, I've been trying to follow the thread as much as possible.)

Edit: I think the school may be accredited now, the article is a few years old.

I can definitely see at least one of the Bates either going to or courting someone who goes to PCC. They have been their a couple times in the last year, I am pretty sure I remember at least three different visits. 

Tori is the one they always talk about loving college so maybe she would choose to transfer from Crown to PCC. I can also see Tori and Carlin going to PCC together since they seem close.

On 3/23/2016 at 9:49 PM, bashfulpixie said:

I sincerely hope that Taliban Dan is one of the people who lose their congressional seat with the new redistricting in Florida.

That said- I try not to paint the Bates kids with their parents' brush.  If and when they start showing their ass publicly (like Josh and Jessa), then I'll start judging them too.  Until then, I'll assume they have their parents poisonous beliefs and hope that being out on their own will open their eyes so they can move away from the cult.

They do make adorable babies though.

I wouldn't paint kids with their parents brush, but grown ass married people with children are not kids.

I wish I had fucks to give about them making adorable babies.

The bolded? ITA

On 3/22/2016 at 9:43 AM, Snarkle said:

I always wonder how these fundie 2.0 couples would have turned out if their parents hadn't been seduced by IBLP and ATI back when they were young.  The organization that started out doling out advice on financial matters/staying out of debt for their parents eventually ramped up to dictating every facet of life for them and their children, from dress to education.  They still would have been some flavor of fundie, but not as extreme, I can only hope.  Perhaps time will dilute the message and generation 3.0 and 4.0 will be less indoctrinated?

Nah, the more generations in the more institutionalized toxic beliefs become as part of the family identity. The sooner out, the better!

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived