IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

I'd take working for ATI over being a wannabe Christian Vanilla Ice any day, but that's just me.

Since Jessa came into the picture, Ben hasn't had a job that does not involve Jim Bob.  

Working for ATI is not my cup of tea, but it's a job that does not involve jumping on a fame gravy train.

In fact given their personalities, I see the Keilens turning into the Websters when it comes to how much they'll be on the TV show.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AnywhereButHere I agree the problem is definitely the double standard, not the lack of cooking skills. Both Michael and Jessa have been pulling off much more impressive culinary feats than these from a young age, including the the less interesting washing up and cleaning etc, mostly without being showered with praise. But a man manages to cook a meal for two people and he is a hero. 

I noticed at the start of the Counting On episode where they cook the "fall feast" that Jessa gives the examples of pasta and mac and cheese as things she has cooked for her family. She is joking about being a terrible cook and implying that these are very basic meals. 

I guess there is nothing i can do about it, but i just hate to come to this post to read about the Bates and have to keep reading page after page about the Duggars, or the Bates being compared to the Duggars. Especially when we only have this one post about the Bates family and the Duggars have a whole sub-forum just for them.

Well, @Diana, here's some Bates "news" for you.  Yesterday was Sunday, and as is usual for her, Alyssa posted a picture of her in church clothes.  And of course Allie Jane had her usual flower-as-big-as-her-face adornment, and Alyssa is back to sleeveless dresses for spring.  (Allie Jane must have a closet full of clothes considering how she always looks coordinated.)  For a change, none of the comments (so far) are criticizing Alyssa for dressing "immodestly" - instead they are all leghumpers gushing on her style and the fact that she posts so many Sunday pictures and they should start that trend/habit as well.  Now back to our regularly scheduled snarking...

You can't see it well because of Allie's head, but that neckline appears to be a fairly deep v-neck.  Rock on, Alyssa!

Alyssa looks so good, happy, and healthy, very well suited to her new life, it's almost hard to forget she was a child bride.

almost

Also, with the return of Counting On, I've put my finger on why the Duggars drive me up a wall and the Bates don't.  The Duggars can't for the lives of them talk about their preferences without putting others down.  The Bates are able to talk about their preferences and the way THEY do things without being disrespectful of others.  Oh sure, they think their ways are best, and I'm sure it's a calculated move, but it is so much easier to watch a show when you aren't being constantly insulted.  

Jana wants a "hard working man", which means someone who has a physical job because office workers don't work hard.  Anna is lucky to be a SAHM not because it's what she wants, but because working women are miserable and to be pitied.  They court because all other methods lead to divorce, not marriage.  They don't joke around or tease each other because doing that leads to divorce too.  They dress modestly because it's what God wants and they are better Christians than pants wearing people.  Everything the Duggars don't do is wrong and leads to terrible things.

Contrast that with the Bates.  Whenever they state one of their beliefs, they always couch it in "in our family" or "for our family".  They don't put down other choices by saying they are terrible or lead to divorce or make you a bad Christian.  They always talk about how it's "what works for them" or "how they feel lead".  This also gives their children the freedom to redefine their values when they get married.  Even if the married Duggars do things differently in their homes, I don't think they have the freedom to say that without breaking their brand.  

Sure it's a tactic, but it is SO much easier to watch.

I'm probably just a cranky old curmudgeon but the hashtags that Michael adds on her posts seem excessive. Does the full description of the meal have to be in hashtag form? Obviously this is small potatoes compared to the many other grievous acts committed by fundies, but annoying just the same. #curmudgeon #justignoremeimtiredandcranky #dumbfundies

9 minutes ago, habert said:

Alyssa looks so good, happy, and healthy, very well suited to her new life, it's almost hard to forget she was a child bride.

almost

Just a note:

UNICEF defines child brides as females married before the age of 18. Alyssa was 19 when they married and she was 20 by the time Allie was born.

Emotionally she may have had the maturity of a teenager - but physically and legally she can't be defined as a child bride.

9 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I'm probably just a cranky old curmudgeon but the hashtags that Michael adds on her posts seem excessive. Does the full description of the meal have to be in hashtag form? Obviously this is small potatoes compared to the many other grievous acts committed by fundies, but annoying just the same. #curmudgeon #justignoremeimtiredandcranky #dumbfundies

#theyoungfolksseemtothinkmorehashtagsthebetter #notafundything #millenialshashtaganythingthatdoesntmove #getoffmylawnyouannoyingkids  #inmydaywedidnthavehashtagsandwelikedit

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Just a note:

UNICEF defines child brides as females married before the age of 18. Alyssa was 19 when they married and she was 20 by the time Allie was born.

Emotionally she may have had the maturity of a teenager - but physically and legally she can't be defined as a child bride.

This is true.  Honestly, she seemed more mature and to know her own mind better than the 20 year old Anna Keller we saw marry Josh.  

I see Alyssa like Cinderella.  Yes, she was rushing into a marriage when she was barely older than a child and barely knew the groom, but that was a risk she was willing to take to get the hell out of that house.  When your choices are a few years of guaranteed misery or taking a big chance at happiness, I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to take that chance as well.   

Just a note:

Pedantics. I'm sure what the previous poster meant is Alyssa was 17 when she began "getting to know" John, who is a few years her senior and then married very young at 19. I love Alyssa and can't fault her but even I got what was meant by the child bride comment.

She's still more mature than say, Priscilla Waller or even Jill Dillard who are older than she is and were married before her.

1 minute ago, actuallyjessica said:

Pedantics. I'm sure what the previous poster meant is Alyssa was 17 when she began "getting to know" John, who is a few years her senior and then married very young at 19. I love Alyssa and can't fault her but even I got what was meant by the child bride comment.

She's still more mature than say, Priscilla Waller or even Jill Dillard who are older than she is and were married before her.

I'm aware of what the poster may have meant. I still think it's important to use that terminology correctly though.

Gil Bates sits on the IBLP board so no matter if the Bates are not deemed as "bad" as the Duggars, they really are. At least the Duggars didn't have a picture of Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forest hanging on their living room wall. Not giving the Duggar's any kudos, just saying that shit wrapped in gold is still shit.

17 hours ago, catlady said:
3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'd take working for ATI over being a wannabe Christian Vanilla Ice any day, but that's just me.

Since Jessa came into the picture, Ben hasn't had a job that does not involve Jim Bob.  

Working for ATI is not my cup of tea, but it's a job that does not involve jumping on a fame gravy train.

In fact given their personalities, I see the Keilens turning into the Websters when it comes to how much they'll be on the TV show.

Really? Both men and their beliefs  are reprehensible, but Brandon's only education is from Gothard U and his whole life is about spreading the Gospel of Bill. Ben at least has some sort of education and isn't not involved in the day to day operations of a cult. He mostly just speaks his Calvinist-marinated mind and demonstrates how stupid he is on social media.

19 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Gil Bates sits on the IBLP board so no matter if the Bates are not deemed as "bad" as the Duggars, they really are. At least the Duggars didn't have a picture of Confederate general Nathan Bedford Forest hanging on their living room wall. Not giving the Duggar's any kudos, just saying that shit wrapped in gold is still shit.

Jim Bob was never selected for a board position and was never in the inner circle. The Bateeseseses and all their SILs' families are steeped in the inner circle.

49 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Also, with the return of Counting On, I've put my finger on why the Duggars drive me up a wall and the Bates don't.  The Duggars can't for the lives of them talk about their preferences without putting others down.  The Bates are able to talk about their preferences and the way THEY do things without being disrespectful of others.  Oh sure, they think their ways are best, and I'm sure it's a calculated move, but it is so much easier to watch a show when you aren't being constantly insulted.  

Jana wants a "hard working man", which means someone who has a physical job because office workers don't work hard.  Anna is lucky to be a SAHM not because it's what she wants, but because working women are miserable and to be pitied.  They court because all other methods lead to divorce, not marriage.  They don't joke around or tease each other because doing that leads to divorce too.  They dress modestly because it's what God wants and they are better Christians than pants wearing people.  Everything the Duggars don't do is wrong and leads to terrible things.

Contrast that with the Bates.  Whenever they state one of their beliefs, they always couch it in "in our family" or "for our family".  They don't put down other choices by saying they are terrible or lead to divorce or make you a bad Christian.  They always talk about how it's "what works for them" or "how they feel lead".  This also gives their children the freedom to redefine their values when they get married.  Even if the married Duggars do things differently in their homes, I don't think they have the freedom to say that without breaking their brand.  

Sure it's a tactic, but it is SO much easier to watch.

Yeah, they have learned from the Duggars, to be sure.

16 hours ago, catlady said:

i'll give him credit for the presentation, but boiling macaroni, shredding cheese, and arranging produce does not really qualify one as being an "awesome cook" in my opinion (and if there's any alfredo sauce included, ten bucks says it came from a jar).  i have a long-standing reputation of having poor culinary skills, and i could do the exact same dish.

so are the square plate and hammered silverware the same patterns that were on their giant wedding registry?

To be fair the picture is captioned "#SauceFromScratch". 

16 minutes ago, WeArndtMarried said:

To be fair the picture is captioned "#SauceFromScratch". 

oh dear, I missed that.  (I don't do insta or twitter, so I don't really get hashtagging and tend to overlook them.)  sorry, Bin.

10 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

@nelliebelle1197, the Bates are actually worse than the Duggars regarding IBLP! Appearances are not everything. 

Yes, I know. I am not sure where I said any differently.

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

This is true.  Honestly, she seemed more mature and to know her own mind better than the 20 year old Anna Keller we saw marry Josh.  

I see Alyssa like Cinderella.  Yes, she was rushing into a marriage when she was barely older than a child and barely knew the groom, but that was a risk she was willing to take to get the hell out of that house.  When your choices are a few years of guaranteed misery or taking a big chance at happiness, I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to take that chance as well.   

And from what we know (so far), for all of Gil's faults, terrible beliefs, and direct association with IBLP, he has done a better job (so far) of approving husbands for his daughters.  Clearly time will tell if the Bates daughters did indeed match with "good" husbands for the long haul, but Pa Keller's track record out of the gate for his daughters speaks for itself.

Just now, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yes, I know. I am not sure where I said any differently.

Oh I was agreeing with you! Sorry for not making that clear! Your post about JB not being on the board and not in the inner circle brought this point home for me.

Sorry again!

43 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Really? Both men and their beliefs  are reprehensible, but Brandon's only education is from Gothard U and his whole life is about spreading the Gospel of Bill. Ben at least has some sort of education and isn't not involved in the day to day operations of a cult. He mostly just speaks his Calvinist-marinated mind and demonstrates how stupid he is on social media.

Working for ATI (or anyone for that matter) means that you at least have the responsibility of showing up on time, not on Duggar time.  He was almost 26 when he got married, so naturally he was more mature than Ben's 19.  

Ben was a teenage groom who didn't have the maturity to get married.  He should have waited a few years until he could prove he had responsibility and a job, but unfortunately his dick thought differently and he married because he was ultra horny.

Granted Michael and Brandon do not use their social media to share their beliefs with the world, but instead use it to document their day to day life.  If they were as vocal about their beleifs as Benessa, then I'd probably think differently.

The Bates keep quiet about their beliefs because they want you to forget that their fucked up beliefs are, you know, fucked up. They want you to think they are better than the Duggars when really they are worse and Gil has helped cause more damage to more people. 

Ben has a job in reality television selling a lie. Brandon has a job in reality television(whenever he appears on the show) selling  lie PLUS working for a cult that damages people. I'm not giving him any gold stars or even any of the little green stars that  kids get for effort. 

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The Bates keep quiet about their beliefs because they want you to forget that their fucked up beliefs are, you know, fucked up. They want you to think they are better than the Duggars when really they are worse and Gil has helped cause more damage to more people. 

Ben has a job in reality television selling a lie. Brandon has a job in reality television(whenever he appears on the show) selling  lie PLUS working for a cult that damages people. I'm not giving him any gold stars or even any of the little green stars that  kids get for effort. 

+1000

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived