IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Ungodly Grandma, I've heard of using Milk Bones as teething biscuits before.  I may have read that in  The Last Whole Earth Catalogue, but I'm not sure.

@paulypepper,  I've eaten a slice or two of raw bacon myself years ago.  

If you've ever seen the Doris Day -David Niven movie Please Don't Eat the Daisies, the Mckays' youngest child is seen what is basically a baby cage; i.e. a playpen with a top on it.  The McKays definitely needed that as their boys were always up to some mischief.

I loved that movie.

When I was a child (7 or 8), in the Bronx, my mother would send me to the butcher with a note saying what she wanted. He would give me a bite of raw chopped beef, as a great treat. Other times altogether!

3 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

My dad once ate half a box of "cheese flavored" dog treats before he figured it out. 

A friend of mine, as a teenager, came home from a wild night out and found his mother was still awake and in the kitchen. 

He made small talk with her and it was going well.  Then he grabbed a box of what looked like snacks on the counter, took one and casually munched it. 

It seemed like he was getting away with it until his mother said 'Do you realize you're eating milk bones?' :)

His mother was, and continues to be, totally awesome. :D

My 2 yo decided she was going to be a vegan, altho she didn't actually eat vegetables either. I stepped out to pick some stuff for dinner. She was sitting on the kitchen floor playing. When I came back  she was eating the cat food.

Tuna, actually.:my_biggrin:

The fan-chewing episode hasn't made it to me yet (international), and I've been searching everywhere for pics but can't find any.

What kind of fan are we talking about? Like a standing fan with a stand, or one of those handheld deals? If it was a standing fan, how did Izzy get a good angle on it (doesn't sound like he was chewing on the base of one)?

1 hour ago, missegeno said:

The fan-chewing episode hasn't made it to me yet (international), and I've been searching everywhere for pics but can't find any.

What kind of fan are we talking about? Like a standing fan with a stand, or one of those handheld deals? If it was a standing fan, how did Izzy get a good angle on it (doesn't sound like he was chewing on the base of one)?

It was a tall standing fan.  He was chewing on the "torso" of the fan, if you will, the tall metal pole that extends the fan up.  

It was a tall standing fan.  He was chewing on the "torso" of the fan, if you will, the tall metal pole that extends the fan up.  

Thanks! That does seem very much at risk of him pulling it over onto himself. These people really expect god to take care of all the precautions that should be their job.

2 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

Well, metal poles do make the best teethers for babies!

Especially when plugged in! Vibrations, you know.

2 hours ago, missegeno said:

Thanks! That does seem very much at risk of him pulling it over onto himself. These people really expect god to take care of all the precautions that should be their job.

Yes, I think so. God protects them, so it's fine to do dumb shit. :)

3 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

Yes, I think so. God protects them, so it's fine to do dumb shit. :)

I know someone who seems to be fundie light. Awhile back she made a long fb post about how she's given her kids up to god, and whatever happens is in his hands etc etc.  It was a very long post.  but basically it read a bit like "i'm giving up taking responsibility for my kids and whatever happens happens"  3 of her young children have had near fatal accidents, or at least very severe accidents, in the last 18 or so months. One required an er visit, the other defibrillation in the ambulance.

25 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I know someone who seems to be fundie light. Awhile back she made a long fb post about how she's given her kids up to god, and whatever happens is in his hands etc etc.  It was a very long post.  but basically it read a bit like "i'm giving up taking responsibility for my kids and whatever happens happens"  3 of her young children have had near fatal accidents, or at least very severe accidents, in the last 18 or so months. One required an er visit, the other defibrillation in the ambulance.

When people say dumb stuff like that parent, I say to them, "Yeah, God protects them, mostly through their parents doing their actual job." Also, most Christians I know, even the fundie-lite ones, believe that God gave them a brain and common sense. How much is used, however, is debatable.

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

It reminds me of that joke where the guy is on the roof of his house during an extreme flood.  All these boats come by and he says no to all of them, saying I don't need your help, God will help me.  Then later when he laments to God that he didn't save him, God goes, well what about all those boats I sent??

Lets take this to its logical conclusion, shall we.  If God takes care of my children then:

I no longer need to feed them-- God will send them manna.

I no longer need to dress them-- God will move strangers to send me packages of clothing.

I no longer need to give them baths-- God will make it rain with heavenly, sweet-smelling suds.

I no longer need to stay home with them-- God will send angels to watch over them.

I no longer need to teach them anything00 God will speak to them in his divine voice and they will learn everything they need to know, including how to use the potty!

5 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I could see this attitude in certain situations. For example, a parent that follows all the recommendations for safe sleep and then trusts God to watch over the baby while it is sleeping. It could be a coping mechanism to deal with anxiety. Accidents with children happens, but not taking measures to prevent accidents is unacceptable.

8 minutes ago, Ali said:

I could see this attitude in certain situations. For example, a parent that follows all the recommendations for safe sleep and then trusts God to watch over the baby while it is sleeping. It could be a coping mechanism to deal with anxiety. Accidents with children happens, but not taking measures to prevent accidents is unacceptable.

Every major accident was due to lack of parenting or supervision. You definitely can't control or prevent everything.  And I consider most childhood accidents normal. But her track record of nearly fatal preventable accidents isn't ok.  She refuses to accept advice, read anything about parenting, but r keep up with the latest recommendations or standards.  She's picking a curriculum for homeschooling that's one step, barely above ati.   Sorry, I get heated about this particular topic. 

1 minute ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Every major accident was due to lack of parenting or supervision. You definitely can't control or prevent everything.  And I consider most childhood accidents normal. But her track record of nearly fatal preventable accidents isn't ok.  She refuses to accept advice, read anything about parenting, but r keep up with the latest recommendations or standards.  She's picking a curriculum for homeschooling that's one step, barely above ati.   Sorry, I get heated about this particular topic. 

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Those incidents are not accidents. Those incidents are due to neglect, laziness, and foolishness.

The other thing I see is this weird tendency to not feel fully responsible for the care of their children. It's like since they let God decide the number of children and spacing, they feel like they didn't really choose to have these kids. God put these kids in my life, so he'll send me all the help I need. I shouldn't be fully responsible for kids I didn't choose.   

And that's just.... A sad place to be. Where you can't take care of all of your own kids by yourself. 

4 minutes ago, Ali said:

I don't blame you for being frustrated. Those incidents are not accidents. Those incidents are due to neglect, laziness, and foolishness.

And a lack of condoms. 

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

With E/R visits and ambulance rides (x3) I'm shocked that hospital personnel haven't alerted the authorities or child services.
I split my forehead open in the 1970's (way before most of the interventions they have now), and was thoroughly questioned and re-questioned by medical staff as to how it happened.  I was just a clumsy 12 year-old BTW.  

4 minutes ago, Tim-Tom Biblethumper said:

With E/R visits and ambulance rides (x3) I'm shocked that hospital personnel haven't alerted the authorities or child services.
I split my forehead open in the 1970's (way before most of the interventions they have now), and was thoroughly questioned and re-questioned by medical staff as to how it happened.  I was just a clumsy 12 year-old BTW.  :/  

She had an under two year old overdose on poisonous mushrooms and then didn't respond to the situation till the baby went catatonic.    I had my share of stitches and a cast as a kid, but those weren't due to lack of supervision. 

13 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

At that point, that's not "shit happens, kids get into stuff no matter what you do, just be more careful in the future and let this be a lesson" and more "call CPS right now" levels of neglect.

I'm very anti-helicopter parenting and think that people shouldn't bubble-wrap their kids, but neglecting your children to the point that 3 of them nearly die from accidents that could likely have been prevented with proper safety precautions and/or supervision is criminal. Literally criminal.

Here is a screen shot of Israel on the fan. 

I may have an unpopular opinion, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, its just a kid on the fan. Free Jinger has a tendency to be very judgmental. One minute Jill is being criticized for having Izzy on a blanket, and the next she is being criticized for letting her child explore and massage his teething gums on the fan. 

I understand that these people are connected to a harmful, cult-like organization. But they are still people, and Israel isn't going to die in a horrible electrical accident because of his unhealthy relationship towards fans. If my kid was doing that I would probably just laugh and let him because its cute. 

And I disagree that because they willingly put these videos out there for the public that we are somehow allowed to pass judgment and criticize left and right. The general rule of be a nice person still holds for me. Just because they are on t.v. doesn't make them less of a person. I realize that news on the Duggar front is slow, but we don't need three pages about a baby holding a fan. 

Midnight rant over. 

Israelfan.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jessalyn said:

Here is a screen shot of Israel on the fan. 

I may have an unpopular opinion, but I don't see what all the fuss is about, its just a kid on the fan. Free Jinger has a tendency to be very judgmental. One minute Jill is being criticized for having Izzy on a blanket, and the next she is being criticized for letting her child explore and massage his teething gums on the fan. 

I understand that these people are connected to a harmful, cult-like organization. But they are still people, and Israel isn't going to die in a horrible electrical accident because of his unhealthy relationship towards fans. If my kid was doing that I would probably just laugh and let him because its cute. 

And I disagree that because they willingly put these videos out there for the public that we are somehow allowed to pass judgment and criticize left and right. The general rule of be a nice person still holds for me. Just because they are on t.v. doesn't make them less of a person. I realize that news on the Duggar front is slow, but we don't need three pages about a baby holding a fan. 

Midnight rant over. 

Israelfan.jpg

While I agree that people shouldn't get hysterical about this, were I Jill, I'd probably scoop him off and get him a piece of fruit or a clean toy to gnaw on (and who knows? She may have done that once the cameras turned away). It looks heavy/stable enough that Izzy probably doesn't have the strength to topple it on himself, but babies and appliances still don't mix. Again, I'm all for letting kids explore and all that, but I'm still not down with letting an 11-month-old make out with an oscillating fan.

For all the criticism over J/errick learning Spanish, they seemed to be doing alright communicating in the episode last night.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived