IGNORED

Jill, Derick and Israel part 14

Boogalou

8 minutes ago, typo brahe said:

Kids are weird. My older sister, also a middle child, was apparently very... rough and troublesome? She'd always end up breaking things around the house and getting herself hurt. My mom said she had to take her to the ER so many times for things like a dislocated shoulder that the staff thought she was being abused.

Apparently I was a really sweet, easy kid until I reached school age, around 4. I was really antisocial and stubborn, and then I developed horrible seperation anxiety. When I think back on it, the emotions I felt as a little kid were just as powerful as the ones I feel today. My childhood was a really sad one, in terms of how I thought of myself. I didn't mean to get personal or off-topic and I'm not trying to sound preachy or anything, but I think it's important to respect kids' emotions, even if they're stupid or don't make sense.

Circling back to fundies, it makes me incredibly sad to know that there are kids like me involved in this culture that will probably never receive the support and tenderness that they need, even into their adult lives. 

Totally agree. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a baby, I would take all my clothes off, take the sheets off my mattress and throw it all out of the crib. My dad would duct tape my diapers on. But I think following any new mom around with a camera would show some unsafe behaviors and I don't want to give Jill too much grief until it becomes clear that she is abusive or neglectful. I hope that child is safe and loved.

4 hours ago, raisingthebarre94 said:

When I was a baby, I would take all my clothes off, take the sheets off my mattress and throw it all out of the crib. My dad would duct tape my diapers on. But I think following any new mom around with a camera would show some unsafe behaviors and I don't want to give Jill too much grief until it becomes clear that she is abusive or neglectful. I hope that child is safe and loved.

Same. I was a klutzy baby and a klutzy kid (and then starting Tae Kwon Do when I was 12 and getting huge bruises and sprains from that a lot didn't help things), and when my dad accidentally dislocated my elbow when I was 2 (protip to parents: no matter how much fun it is for your toddler, don't pick them up by their wrists and spin them around in the air), he was absolutely terrified that the doctor would think I was being abused, since he caused the injury (the doctor reassured him that dislocated elbows are super common and he knew full well that I was loved and well cared for). Babies and toddlers are basically drunk people; they're crawling and stumbling around and don't know how things work, and they're bound to get bashed up a bit. As long as people are looking out for them, they'll be OK once they gain fine motor skills and common sense.

12 hours ago, socalrules said:

We have seen the Duggar kids walking on counters, using equipment without proper safety equipment, sliding down banisters, etc. I am not sure Jill defines safety the same way we do. She likely doesn't know about baby proofing a house because she has always lived in a house with babies and there was never a big deal being made about making the house safe for them. The house would have to have been baby proofed the minute they moved in because there are always babies there. Jim Bob and Michelle were going to spend money baby proofing the TTH when they could just have the older kids make sure the younger ones don't accidentally kill themselves. 

To a Duggar, safety may mean keeping the girls' bedroom locked so the brothers can't prey on them.

To the Duggars child safety means "Oh, don't worry. We'll make a new one!" And I am not referring to broken inanimate objects.

@Wenny: Re: sleeping soundly, I do but, TBH, our bathroom has doors that we kept closed, and my purse was in there. It was very shortly after he'd come in the window that I got up to use the bathroom, noticed that the extension ladder was in the window.... WTH?? and started looking in my purse. Looked out front... Mr. Four's car gone... so I'm calling to report a stolen car at 0200. By the time the  local precinct showed up at our house, another precinct had picked Two up, and  was calling us. 

Did you know that you can put a stick in a window, to keep it from getting pulled up and opened? We thought so, too, until Two merely pulled down the top sash, pushed the stick over, then pulled up the bottom sash and entered whatever window he damn well pleased. Kid had a great career going as a second story man until he went to juvie. Did I mention he was a GREAT problem solver? He saw stuff that nobody else saw, and turned it into an opportunity.

I'm just impressed that you thought you needed a stick to lock a second story window.

So what was Sweet Two's punishment?

27 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

I'm just impressed that you thought you needed a stick to lock a second story window.

So what was Sweet Two's punishment?

Um.. the stick was to prevent the sash from being pulled up AFTER he slid his skinny little knife through the lock to unlock it. 

He was grounded, ha ha, and he didn't get his license until he was 18, and he had to take a driver improvement course before he even took driver's ed, and we watched him like a hawk, but Two is clever and imaginative and we were always a couple steps behind.

Oh, and ETA: He not only came into the bathroom, we actually woke up on more than one night with him going through the coins and cash Mr. Four kept in the top drawer of his nightstand. Two LOVES money. He'll risk a lot for it.

It really sounds fantastical and imaginative when it's read, but believe me, it all happened. Two and Three really gave us a run for our money, and One and Four got their licks in, too.. no wonder I'm old and broken down! :my_rolleyes:

But I really just started reminiscing about Two because... it needs to be said, some babies just can't be "proofed"!!

On 3/24/2016 at 7:33 AM, Divemaster01 said:

I never stopped wearing a fanny pack. As a photographer, I need my hands free to use my camera :) I am also beginning to reach the age of not caring about being cool either (50 this summer). 

I don't look at is as not being cool, I think of being 50 (+) being just the right age to be a bit, shall we say "eccentric".  One of ther perks of getting older

13 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I didn't mean to get personal or off-topic and I'm not trying to sound preachy or anything, but I think it's important to respect kids' emotions, even if they're stupid or don't make sense. 

Actually, the above is a quote by typo brahe, and I wanted to second the emotion.  Any parent or person who takes the "one size fits all approach" to children is doing the child and themselves a disservice.  It is so important to respect your child as an individual, with their own personality, their own likes and dislikes, and their own emotions -- and tailor your response to their individuality.  That's what we would all like from others, right?  I think most of here already believe this, and I know that many posters who are parents know that each of their children is an individual and different from their siblings, thus requiring different ways of responding to their needs and their behaviors. 

21 minutes ago, xlurker said:

I don't look at is as not being cool, I think of being 50 (+) being just the right age to be a bit, shall we say "eccentric".  One of ther perks of getting older

My favorite high school teacher always said, " Develop your eccentricities when you're young. If you wait until you're older, people will think you're losing your mind!"

Wolf 1 came out looking for someone to sue. Wolf 2 came out happy to be here. We thought we were experienced parents after Wolf 1. Nothing like a kid to throw you for a loop. Wolf 2 was easier going, but got into more stuff, removing the outlet covers and sticking a srewdriver in there. He only did that once, so he was able to learn from his mistakes. :my_biggrin:

My #1 was not looking for trouble, until she turned 16- she more than made up for it in 2 years time.

My #2 was a Black Sharpie Marker King. He could find one at any given time and go to work- especially when I was working on the weekends and his father was in charge. He sharpied everything- walls, his crib, the fireplace, the spa, the kitchen cabinets.

20 hours ago, ToriT said:

My son took a hand held pencil sharpener and tried to sharpen his finger.  Who knows how they come up with some of the things they do.  It was the one and only time he tried it.

My son took a hand held pencil sharpener and tried to sharpen his finger.  Who knows how they come up with some of the things they do.  It was the one and only time he tried it.

I did that with my index finger in a crayon sharpener. Took the nail right off; I still remember the pain. No clue what possessed me to do it, either. I certainly wasn't an adventurous child and it still doesn't make sense 25 years later. 

I once ate (dry) dog food because it looked good - my mom walked into the laundry room just as I was putting a second piece into my mouth and was suitably horrified.  I was also the child that put a tiny sea shell up to my ear to hear the ocean.  The shell slipped into my ear canal, which meant a trip to the doctor to flush it out of the ear.  I was also the one who climbed up the kitchen stool to reach the St. Joseph's children's aspirin while my poor mother was trying to take a much needed nap.  She walked in to see me chewing happily away - now that trip to the doctor was not fun at all, and I can barely type the words "syrup of ipecac" to this day!  I was one of 8 kids, and I'm sure we all did nutty things yet my mom swears she'd do it all over again given the chance.

39 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I once ate (dry) dog food because it looked good - my mom walked into the laundry room just as I was putting a second piece into my mouth and was suitably horrified.  I was also the child that put a tiny sea shell up to my ear to hear the ocean.  The shell slipped into my ear canal, which meant a trip to the doctor to flush it out of the ear.  I was also the one who climbed up the kitchen stool to reach the St. Joseph's children's aspirin while my poor mother was trying to take a much needed nap.  She walked in to see me chewing happily away - now that trip to the doctor was not fun at all, and I can barely type the words "syrup of ipecac" to this day!  I was one of 8 kids, and I'm sure we all did nutty things yet my mom swears she'd do it all over again given the chance.

:)

I never did anything that creative. I once trimmed my own bangs the night before 1st grade picture day. My mom was horrified but I thought I looked great. :) she just swept what was left of them to the side and put a barrette in to hold them. 

My little sister was the queen of this stuff. She somehow inhaled a bell off of her toddler shoes when my parents were out to dinner. One of my brothers held her upside down while my other brother pounded her on her back. It terrified me. I thought they were beating her up because she inhaled the bell.... It worked, thank goodness, and the bell shot right out and across the floor. I mean- can you imagine putting choking hazards like tiny bells on  baby shoes these days? Good grief!  I think it was before the Heimlich manouver too. :o

One Halloween we were told to sit quietly at the dining room table while my brother got ready to take us trick or treating. We had our little costumes on and everything. My little sister started rocking her chair back and forth and bingo- we spent Halloween in the emergency room. She broke her collar bone. :o

That wasn't the last time I waited for her in emergency room waiting areas, listening to her screaming from a distant exam room. Gee whiz, I'm really glad she made it to adulthood! :)

When I was about 5 I can remember thinking that Tang(an old orange juice-like drink) and the powdered cleaner for the dishwasher looked alike.  I waited until everyone was occupied in other rooms, quietly opened the cupboard under the kitchen sink, took out the box and ate a whole spoonful of the stuff.  Heads up...it's not Tang.  Never told anyone either.

Also decided to ride my bike down our long driveway with my eyes closed.  I'll let you imagine the rest but it involved a holly tree and a wreck.

So this is why the soap that comes in little plastic bubbles gets eaten.

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

I did that with my index finger in a crayon sharpener. Took the nail right off; I still remember the pain. No clue what possessed me to do it, either. I certainly wasn't an adventurous child and it still doesn't make sense 25 years later. 

When I was around 4, I overheard talk about someone accidentally stapling their finger, so I decided to give it a try. Whoops.

1 hour ago, Carol said:

When I was about 5 I can remember thinking that Tang(an old orange juice-like drink) and the powdered cleaner for the dishwasher looked alike.  I waited until everyone was occupied in other rooms, quietly opened the cupboard under the kitchen sink, took out the box and ate a whole spoonful of the stuff.  Heads up...it's not Tang.  Never told anyone either.

Also decided to ride my bike down our long driveway with my eyes closed.  I'll let you imagine the rest but it involved a holly tree and a wreck.

Carol, you are so much braver than me!

I never managed the closed eye driveway drive. 

I did eat tang powder out of the jar with a spoon, though. ;)

I really hope the powdered cleaner wasn't too terrible!!! 

I vividly remember eating several handfuls of raw hamburger meat my mom had left on the counter while she went to help my brother with something. I was at least four, old enough to know better, so my Mom was beside herself. To this day, raw hamburger meat always looks strangely appetizing to me. 

8 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

I vividly remember eating several handfuls of raw hamburger meat my mom had left on the counter while she went to help my brother with something. I was at least four, old enough to know better, so my Mom was beside herself. To this day, raw hamburger meat always looks strangely appetizing to me. 

You must like steak tartare :my_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

Raw hamburger is actually kind of good, in small doses at least.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived