IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 4

Boogalou

2 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2013/02/the-truth-about-baby-food-jars.html

If you have a food processor or a blender, you can make your own baby food.

screw baby food... my kids just ate table food when they started solids, baby led weaning!!! (no blender, prep, or anything)

I have a video of my 6-7 month old eating steak! (no teeth)

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I chime in on the raising kids discussion? Toys, toys, toys of all kinds. We never specifically bought dolls for my boys, but somehow some dolls made it into the toybox. Cabbage patch dolls became villains against Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or at my suggestion and much to the boys chagrin, a baby for them to grudgingly rock to sleep. Lego's, greatest toy ever made. (Lesson #1, never give your child's Lego's away when said child moves out. You will eventually have grandkids that want to play with them and you will have to buy all new ones.) We have never bought "boy" or "girl" Lego's, we just bought the original ones. Also we also tended to buy, both for our boys and now our gr dgts, toys that promoted thought: Lincoln Logs, Rock Tumblers, Microscopes, Tinker Toys etc. And like I said, dolls somehow made it in the mix. But I have to admit, I didn't have to contend with all the electronics that are available today. And always books. My children and gr dgts get at least one book for every holiday. Easter baskets have little candy, but always a book.

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Did we see his head without a hat on right after birth?  In any case, my one and only came out with a perfectly round head so I know it's possible.

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

There's always the worry that some baby food will be recalled. It happened twice when my first was born. Apple juice and peas. So I made my own. I had a hand grinder from Sears but now they have mini processors. at least I knew where that food came from & who had touched it. When my grandson was ready for real food I made his.

Something I noticed about Spurgeon. He was born w/a perfectly round head. First baby, really big too, and no molding whatsoever. I smell a rat. Could the whole home birth thing have been staged & she really had a section?  How would it look if both she & Jill had to have sections? In all the years I worked in OB, I never saw a fist time mother deliver a baby w/a perfectly round head.

Hmmmm.......

My first was born with a perfectly round 14" head. 25 hours of labor total, 4 of pushing. I needed stitches.  I promise you no c section. 

3 hours ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

Is baby food in a jar bad?  I'm genuinely asking - I don't have kids yet, and I always assumed that's what most parents of baby food-age kids fed them

No.  It's not bad.  It's really easy and less expensive to make your own, though.  

I used purees for daycare when my kids were tiny.  

36 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

My first was born with a perfectly round 14" head. 25 hours of labor total, 4 of pushing. I needed stitches.  I promise you no c section. 

Ouch!  You're my hero.  Mine was a little under 13" and still did some damage. :(

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Ouch!  You're my hero.  Mine was a little under 13" and still did some damage. :(

Thanks. Based on my first baby, and the u/s from this pregnancy, i grow big babies. With big heads. my first was in the 99th percentile for head size, and more like 75 for weight/height.  I'm hoping that baby doubt number 2 will have a slightly smaller head, but i'm not holding my breath.

I always find future plans of not yet parents to be interesting to follow :)  Planning, researching, organizing and preparing are great. But  it's sort of like reading books about climbing everest, and then actually doing it. Many plans will be turned on their heads.

35 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Thanks. Based on my first baby, and the u/s from this pregnancy, i grow big babies. With big heads. my first was in the 99th percentile for head size, and more like 75 for weight/height.  I'm hoping that baby doubt number 2 will have a slightly smaller head, but i'm not holding my breath.

Please don't hope for a baby with a small head.  I can't stop thinking about those poor babies affected by the Zika virus and born with Microcephaly.  It's so sad!  :my_sad:

31 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Please don't hope for a baby with a small head.  I can't stop thinking about those poor babies affected by the Zika virus and born with Microcephaly.  It's so sad!  :my_sad:

Oh, I don't mean small, small head! I just mean a baby whose head isn't 99th percentile for circumference.  Maybe a tad more on the average size, you know? I've got to push it through my vagina after all. Plus, no clothes fit her, because the poor thing can get her head through the neck.  At 3 she wears a size 8+ helmet. And i think she hit gross motor milestones later than some because she was so top heavy.

16 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Oh, I don't mean small, small head! I just mean a baby whose head isn't 99th percentile for circumference.  Maybe a tad more on the average size, you know? I've got to push it through my vagina after all. Plus, no clothes fit her, because the poor thing can get her head through the neck.  At 3 she wears a size 8+ helmet. And i think she hit gross motor milestones later than some because she was so top heavy.

Hope you have a healthy baby and an easy birth!

2 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

Hope you have a healthy baby and an easy birth!

Thanks! I've been getting monthly growth scans since the beginning of the pregnancy- many of them the fancy 3d kind. We know she has a healthy sized head already (high in the percentiles like her sister), and that at 32 weeks she was over 5 lbs already. Heck, we even know she has hair. It's amazing what the scans can do.

3 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

3 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

My 2nd was 17 days late.  She had a 14" head and was occiput posterior.  She had to be delivered with forceps which made her head wonky, she also had a nice spot on her forehead from my pelvic bone.  My lady parts were not feeling too great, either.  Good times!  She is 20 now and I'm still not over it.

2 minutes ago, Elvis Presby said:

My 2nd was 17 days late.  She had a 14" head and was occiput posterior.  She had to be delivered with forceps which made her head wonky, she also had a nice spot on her forehead from my pelvic bone.  My lady parts were not feeling too great, either.  Good times!  She is 20 now and I'm still not over it.

I can imagine! ouch.  I can't imagine going 17 days over, never the less op and 14" head.  

OK, i can imagine going that far over. I'd be a mean dragon lady though. 

5 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I can imagine! ouch.  I can't imagine going 17 days over, never the less op and 14" head.  

OK, i can imagine going that far over. I'd be a mean dragon lady though. 

I looked like I was pregnant with a VW microbus.  My fingertips barely touched in front around my belly.  In spite of my girth, she was the smallest of my babies except for the preemie.  She lost about 1 lb in those last 2 weeks, but her head kept growing!  Her umbilical cord was tiny.  She definitely was in there too long!  To this day, she doesn't leave the house unless her hair is just right...

I was grumpy bitch those last 3 weeks.  Everyone was afraid of me.

I'm like, 35 weeks? thereabouts anyway. and already getting tiptoed around.  I love the vw microbus analogy though!  This baby only has a 2 chambered cord, one never formed or clotted early one, so she only has 1 output vein in her cord. I'm pretty sure they won't let me go much past 40 weeks.

we had a mom where i used to work who went maybe 2 weeks over. With twins.  She looked soooo uncomfortable- but she always seemed kind and patient, especially since she had 2 preschool aged boys already. I'm not convinced she's human.

Nowadays, you go 1 week late max.  At least that's how it is here.  My youngest was born just before 36 weeks and I was already over it by that point.  The bills weren't very fun, and his ADHD isn't either, but I didn't miss that last month of pregnancy one bit.

Usually here they want the baby out by two weeks.  So if your two week past due date is Friday Saturday, or Sunday, you'll probably have the baby by Thursday.

7 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

You may not see it, but I am closing my legs so hard my knees hurt :my_my:

You are awesome 

On 3/15/2016 at 1:39 PM, QuiverDance said:

I noticed on the preview that Jessa's back/hips had succumbed to the evil spread, but I would not really call it "sad," simply a reality of pregnancy-related body changes.  She is a beautiful girl.  It's just not ok to snark on her body.  Or Jill's.  Or even Michelle's, IMO.  

This may be a stupid question, but is the hip spreading thing a vaginal birth thing? Or just pregnancy? And is it something that happens near term, or throughout? Because I had my twins at 29 weeks and other than my section scar, I can't really tell the difference between my pre-baby body and my body now (which is weird to me, it's like no evidence that i even carried them!). Granted, it's been 4 years for me.

On 3/15/2016 at 5:11 AM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

What I think is "sad, really" is the insane pressure society places on women to have perfect figures no matter what stage of life they are in.

I'm all for snarking, but I'd really rather not snark on the natural body changes that happen to women as a result of pregnancy and childbirth. Yes, they may not have the same body they did on their wedding days, but that is actually OK. Celebrities who can afford plastic surgeons and 6 hour a day sessions with personal trainers have really messed up our perception of what is a normal post-partum body.

I think Jill and Jessa are both beautiful despite the fact that neither dresses in a flattering way IMO and there's never been a Duggar with a good bra as we all know. I hope they are spending their first year as mothers enjoying their babies, not crash dieting to get back to something they may never achieve.

On 3/15/2016 at 4:25 PM, anne.stults said:

I posted on his Facebook page under a picture of his son:  Your son is such a sweet little boy.  Please don't beat him when he is trying to explore and move.  Ben sent me a response saying:  This family does not beat children.  Stop trying to start such a nasty rumor.  

I felt it was very rude.  I particularly did not like the way he used the word "nasty".  I also felt he thought he could talk to me like that since he's a man.  Now, I did follow up to let him know it was well documented that his wife's family did use blanket training.  Maybe that's where the rumor started.  Not with me.

Dude, in what universe is saying that someone beats their child when you have no evidence of that not rude??? That is a nasty rumor. And if you have honest concerns, social media is NOT the place for them.

6 minutes ago, twinmama said:

This may be a stupid question, but is the hip spreading thing a vaginal birth thing? Or just pregnancy? And is it something that happens near term, or throughout? Because I had my twins at 29 weeks and other than my section scar, I can't really tell the difference between my pre-baby body and my body now (which is weird to me, it's like no evidence that i even carried them!). Granted, it's been 4 years for me.

I think Jill and Jessa are both beautiful despite the fact that neither dresses in a flattering way IMO and there's never been a Duggar with a good bra as we all know. I hope they are spending their first year as mothers enjoying their babies, not crash dieting to get back to something they may never achieve.

Dude, in what universe is saying that someone beats their child when you have no evidence of that not rude??? That is a nasty rumor. And if you have honest concerns, social media is NOT the place for them.

I'm not an ob or midwife, so i can't say for sure. But i know that during pregnancy your body releases a lot of relaxin(sp?) a hormone that allows your joints to relax and spread out.  A lot of that happens during the third trimester, and towards the end of pregnancy.  So maybe, because your twins were so early, you didn't get as much of it.  This happens regardless of how baby is born- it's your bodies way of prepping for a  vaginal birth.  But i don't think a lot of spread actually happens during labor and delivery. Just in the weeks prior.  So women who get a c section at 38+ weeks get the spreadage and the scar. and of course any stretch marks they picked up along the way.

11 hours ago, DuggarWatch said:

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2013/02/the-truth-about-baby-food-jars.html

If you have a food processor or a blender, you can make your own baby food.

I could not possible care less what someone else feeds their baby, but I have to agree. I had twins and  postpartum depression and still made every single bit of their baby food. It was super easy to steam some stuff, puree it, freeze it into cubes. But I liked doing it, if you don't like doing it or don't want to, they make great jarred foods now and it's not like they fill them with crap. 

Some people don't even do "baby food" they just do baby led weaning and let the baby chew on big pieces of whole foods. I love that idea, didn't read about it until my kids were past the age though.

My hips didn't spread much with any of my pregnancies, but my ribcage did. I liked to wear gunne sax style dresses BC and almost right away I could not zip them up the back past my bra line. (Increasing 3 cup sizes didn't help, either.) I usually lost the baby weight pretty fast but neither ribcage or cup size has ever returned to normal, which sucks, but hey, it is what it is.

I'm 4'10" and both of my girls were born with perfectly round heads. Less than 10 minutes pushing on each delivery, so that could have something to do with it. Before both pregnancies I was less than 100 pounds, so I was tiny.

10 hours ago, RootBeerFloat said:

We've done BLW with all 4. I have to say the pouches that came out between my #2 and #3 are damn convenient. Unsweetened, 100% fruit that can be thrown in the bag and taken along to all of the big siblings' events is brilliant. The reusable pouches are great too for self-feeding homemade applesauce or yogurt or smoothies. 

I remember having this spoon where you fill the handle with pureed food, and either squeeze the handle to distribute a little a time into the spoon, or just hand it over and let baby go to town. I though it was so neat, I always give one at baby showers. http://www.amazon.com/Boon-Squirt-Silicone-Dispensing-Orange/dp/B00BNUVPO6/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

Oh, and those little mesh feeders were neat, too. Fill it with some tater top casserole and let Junior gnaw the hell out of it, lol. http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Feeder-Colors-Count/dp/B000GK5XY2/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1458180069&sr=1-1&keywords=mesh+feeders

Seriously though, I've always been big on giving encouraging them to help themselves from as young an age as possible. Not in a throw-em-to-the-wolves kind of way, but in a way that they're used to a certain level of self-sufficiency. To the untrained eye, I merely look lazy :my_biggrin:

51 minutes ago, CharityBear said:

I'm 4'10" and both of my girls were born with perfectly round heads. Less than 10 minutes pushing on each delivery, so that could have something to do with it. Before both pregnancies I was less than 100 pounds, so I was tiny.

Hey, me, too!

Mine all had perfectly round heads. I pushed for 2+ hours with each, stubbornly posterior, and me with the pelvis of a preteen, but they came out with perfect little coconut heads.

14 hours ago, Defrauding Feminist ESQ said:

Is baby food in a jar bad?  I'm genuinely asking - I don't have kids yet, and I always assumed that's what most parents of baby food-age kids fed them

14 hours ago, Apricot said:

It has its uses but it's like eating ready meals every day of your life.  Its not as good as proper fresh food, those jars have use by dates of over a year generally so obviously have things added to keep them good for that long.  Not sure what they're like in the US but in the UK they are generally made artificially sweet using things like fruit puree in savoury meals which means sometimes babies who are used to them turn their noses up at normal home cooked meals that don't have the sweet crap in them. 

SOME baby food has things added to preserve it. Or added sugar or whatever. But some do NOT. Things can be kept fresh longer using a canning process. A brand we liked was Beech Nut. http://www.beechnut.com/ If you click on kitchen, it describes how they package their product.

My son had swallowing/feeding issues. We started purees at 6 months old. I made a lot of stuff myself. But I also bought some baby foods as well. Around 9 months or so (can't really remember) he started doing better with some textures and whatnot. Eventually he was able to eat what we eat and we phased out purees completely. He's 2 and a half now and still struggles with some feeding issues but it's not too bad. It was nice to have tons of different baby food options when he was little though. That way I could try new flavors without having to make a large batch.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived