IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

Just now, Fundie Bunny said:

I threw mine away four months ago :pb_lol:

It's unflattering on so many levels! But then I really hate the puffy gilets that all the posh horsey girls wear, too... I think I just hate vests. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, colors_outside15 said:

(Oh, and one of my many biases is how much I hate seeing siblings on the playground where only the male can actually play because the female's legs would burn going down a slide, dresses aren't suited for climbing, and cutesy shoes quadruple falling rates)

I'm from a country where school uniforms are the norm and this was something I really resented as a child. While the boys happily climbed all over the playground equipment and ran around, us girls were severely limited by the dresses and skirts we were forced to wear. It still happens, especially in private schools, and then they wonder why young girls are much less active than boys. 

In the 90s, the onus was always on us to 'not flash your knickers, it's not ladylike' rather than the radical notion that perhaps a better idea would be to let 8 year old girls wear a pair of shorts and a shirt to school and encourage them to be active rather than forcing 'girls to be girls' and wear dresses that impede girls from playing. 

As noted, they shot these together. I am guessing Whitney delayed her announcement to allow Erin time for her genre ultrasound.

image.png

22 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I'm from a country where school uniforms are the norm and this was something I really resented as a child. While the boys happily climbed all over the playground equipment and ran around, us girls were severely limited by the dresses and skirts we were forced to wear. It still happens, especially in private schools, and then they wonder why young girls are much less active than boys. 

In the 90s, the onus was always on us to 'not flash your knickers, it's not ladylike' rather than the radical notion that perhaps a better idea would be to let 8 year old girls wear a pair of shorts and a shirt to school and encourage them to be active rather than forcing 'girls to be girls' and wear dresses that impede girls from playing. 

We wore shorts under our jumpers (this means something different in the US) and played with the boys. Girls could wear the same pants as the boys, too, but we didn't always choose to do so. 

It's my experience that all kids are much less active today than even ten years ago. 

19 hours ago, hollywood said:

I notice in all of them Michael has lost a bit of weight since courting and her hair is straight now. I wonder if she used to perm her hair or if it was naturally straight?

The wavy hair is/was a Gothard fetish. A lot of women in gothard-influenced families affected that hairstyle, whether with nightly rag curls or perms.

(just a sidetracked thought, don't mind me, I'm waiting for my coffee to kick in)

12 hours ago, duplessis3 said:

I once had one sign that said "Happy Birthday" on it at my son's party. I told the parents it was their party gift because the bar was lowered.

I didn't have birthday parties for our kids. I now realize it was because I was afraid of being judged by the other women in the church if I didn't put on the "perfect" party. 

9 hours ago, colors_outside15 said:

I have no idea if it was discussed yet or not because I only got up to this post, but I was kinda bummed for Kaci Lynn when I learned Erin was having a girl. That's one of the weirdest sentences I have ever written (being bummed for a fetus for what seems like an unrelated subject ...) But, Allie wears pants and "normal" swim suits and other clothing that seems completely age appropriate. Yeah, the hair flowers are over the top, but she has a fully functional, Florida wardrobe. I can see Allie toddling around a playground because she has on pants if she falls and sensible shoes. I thought Whitney might be able to follow Alyssa more closely in terms of dressing Kaci without it being TOO much of a big deal for the "Big Bates Family" because a precedent has been set, and if Whitney did dress Kaci a little bit more "Gothard approved" than Alyssa dresses Allie, that might be okay because of that comparison. But, with Erin having a girl now too ... who I can only assume is going to be in frilly dresses from head to toe along with multiple hair accessories at all times, I think there will be extra pressure for Whitney to dress Kaci like Brooklyn. And then, for the cousins to match and be "#bestfriends" while leghumpers write "#cousingoals" "#familygoals" underneath. Btw - where the fuck did those awful hashtags originate?

(Oh, and one of my many biases is how much I hate seeing siblings on the playground where only the male can actually play because the female's legs would burn going down a slide, dresses aren't suited for climbing, and cutesy shoes quadruple falling rates)

I will now bang my head against a wall for discussing the future of two unborn fundie females who (for now) seem destined for some sort of slight modification of wholesome swim wear within the next six or so years ... *sigh*

In our fundie circles, this was taken care of by the girls wearing jeans or leggings under their dresses and skirts (or shorts, for the less strict). It looks really stupid to me (I mean, why not *just* jeans for active play?) , but it meant they could play on the playground and do cartwheels and leapfrog and somersaults.

In defense of parents who dress their little girls in dresses to play, my  daughter has always flat out refused to wear pants.  She is a dresses and leggings kind of girl.  She even prefers those little work out "skirts" for activewear.  I don't think her clothes impede her ability to keep up with her brother, though.  I always dress her with shorts underneath her dresses so that she doesn't have to worry about everyone seeing London and France. :D 

O have seen my niece play with the cutest little dress on just like it was a tracksuit. Little kids do not care, as long as they can run and don't hurt themselves

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Also, I really want Cherin to start naming their kids after New York neighborhoods and districts (not just boroughs). Tribeca actually sounds like it could be a name. But then you could also have Prospect Park Paine, Astoria Paine, Flushing Paine, Washington Heights Paine, and Staten Island Paine.

How about Bedford–Stuyvesant Paine? But if they want to go with a more normal name: Chelsea Paine... or maybe no, it's populated by evil gays.

15 minutes ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

How about Bedford–Stuyvesant Paine? But if they want to go with a more normal name: Chelsea Paine... or maybe no, it's populated by evil gays.

Or how about Alphabet City Paine?  I can guarantee we'd not see Harlem Paine not Greenwich Village Paine if they knew what happens in the Village!

10 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Or how about Alphabet City Paine?  I can guarantee we'd not see Harlem Paine not Greenwich Village Paine if they knew what happens in the Village!

I don't know and I really son't want to know, but, is it gay sex?

Not sure if any of you watch Bringing Up Bates - I do because I need something to snark on in my life and since the Duggars have been off the air I've had to substitute with the Bates'.

Anyway, in last night's episode they went to Zach's police academy and did some stuff - pushups, yelling "sir yes sir", things like that.

There was one segment where everyone over a certain age got to ride in beat up police cars (one of them actually had part of the rear bumper hanging off) while the driver drove the winding course as fast as the car would go. Everyone was screaming and freaking out. Then they had Lawson, Kelly, and Whitney get in a car with Zach as the driver. In her couch interview, Kelly said that she has a fear of car accidents and has a house full of bad drivers, even saying that there are some kids she won't get in a car with.

So Kelly's screaming her head off the whole time, clinging to Whitney's arm, asking Zach to let her out of the car. He didn't, and when the course opened up, one of the other drivers hit Zach's car, as he had asked them to. Not slam into it, but a bump. Kelly didn't like it.

I don't know why everyone thought it was so funny to play on Kelly's fears like that. This isn't the first time - the Bates went to an amusement park once I believe last season, and she was scared of rollercoasters. Naturally, Gil made her go on the fastest one in the park.

THEN what really struck me as "Wow did UP really keep that in?" was a comment Kelly made in her interview after the driving part in her couch interview about Zach being too old to spank, which got a laugh from Gil. The comment didn't have any context from Kelly before it or after it, they just cut away to the next part of Police Academy Day. To me, that's a weird thing to say about your grown son, or about any of your children for any reasons, especially on television.

55 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't know and I really son't want to know, but, is it gay sex?

Greenwich Village has long been known as a Bohemian area.  Christopher Street and the surrounding streets have been a haven for LGBT people since before WWII.  The Oscar Wilde Bookshop opened in 1967 and in late June of 1989, the Stonewall riots erupted sparking the modern gay rights movement.  Gays and lesbians just weren't going to take harassment anymore!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

This area would just not be acceptable to the Bateses.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Gentrification? Brunch? ;)

1 hour ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

THEN what really struck me as "Wow did UP really keep that in?" was a comment Kelly made in her interview after the driving part in her couch interview about Zach being too old to spank, which got a laugh from Gil. The comment didn't have any context from Kelly before it or after it, they just cut away to the next part of Police Academy Day. To me, that's a weird thing to say about your grown son, or about any of your children for any reasons, especially on television.

I know spanking is controversial but my mamaw says this to my dad sometimes when he's being a "stinker" as she'll say. I don't think it's that odd. Maybe on television, sure, but in general I think she was just joking around saying that if he had been doing this to her as a child  (which he wouldn't have because, driving) she would have spanked him but he's much too old for that now so he got away with being a turd to her. That's just my take on it though.

4 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I went to a private school my whole life. In the younger days, we wore jumpers* but we all wore shorts underneath so playing was never an issue. (The shorts underneath were shorter than the jumper so they didn't stick out and look weird.) We also had the option to wear uniform shorts and a polo during warm months. Or pants a polo during Winter. I actually found the jumper to be comfortable so that's what I always wore. In jr. high and high school, again we had the choice of a skirt/blouse or pants/blouse (no shorts.)

*Type of dress. Not a sweater. I am in the U.S.

I didn't read anything into Kelly's spanking remark. Zach is lucky she didn't go off on him, even verbally, since she obviously did not like the crazy driving. My guess is that Zach knows his mother enough to know she would ultimately be good natured about it. I thought the fascinating part was watching Whitney throughout the ride. Girl was loving it. It was kind of cute that both she and Zach thought the whole thing was fun. I was a little worried about Callie who was worried about Kelly getting hurt. 

Another interesting part of the episode was the discussion about how Chad and Erin met, and how they got to know each other before being official. Or as some of the sisters said, they were basically together without officially being together. That's why I think Bates kids seem more comfortable with the ones they married. They truly got to know each other first. It wasn't  four months from the time they met to the time they married. It was more of a real relationship. I also liked the inference than Erin and Chad were basically hot for each other from the beginning and Erin's CD gave them a reason to spend time with each other. Completely normal part of a relationship. There is more of a real intimacy between the Bates kids and their spouses than you see with the Duggar kids, which is how it should be. 

5 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I didn't read anything into Kelly's spanking remark. Zach is lucky she didn't go off on him, even verbally, since she obviously did not like the crazy driving. My guess is that Zach knows his mother enough to know she would ultimately be good natured about it. I thought the fascinating part was watching Whitney throughout the ride. Girl was loving it. It was kind of cute that both she and Zach thought the whole thing was fun. I was a little worried about Callie who was worried about Kelly getting hurt. 

Another interesting part of the episode was the discussion about how Chad and Erin met, and how they got to know each other before being official. Or as some of the sisters said, they were basically together without officially being together. That's why I think Bates kids seem more comfortable with the ones they married. They truly got to know each other first. It wasn't  four months from the time they met to the time they married. It was more of a real relationship. I also liked the inference than Erin and Chad were basically hot for each other from the beginning and Erin's CD gave them a reason to spend time with each other. Completely normal part of a relationship. There is more of a real intimacy between the Bates kids and their spouses than you see with the Duggar kids, which is how it should be. 

I thought Kelly's spanking comment was  hilarious, and I didn't read anything into it, either.  I am not a spanker, and they may or may  not have been, IDK, but I tell my kids all the time, "I should spank your little derriere for that!" when they are being cheeky or sassy, and we laugh.  They know I'm not gonna do it.  LOL.  

When is Erin due again? I remember it being late summer, but wasn't sure exactly. 

I'm due August 5. I found out I was pregnant at the end of November (missed my regular to early period, so I took a test). 

UP made a big deal about "Guess which couple is pregnant" at the beginning of January, with them only announcing Whitney's pregnancy. Erin would have known by then if she was pregnant. 

I get why she and Chad wouldn't want to announce so soon, but it seems kind of weird to make them say "No, we're not pregnant" when they actually are. Seems like they could have delayed the announcement of Whitney's pregnancy a little so as to announce it with Erin's. 

I'm probably the only one that things this is odd, but since I'm pregnant too, I couldn't help but notice it. 

3 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

In defense of parents who dress their little girls in dresses to play, my  daughter has always flat out refused to wear pants.  She is a dresses and leggings kind of girl.  She even prefers those little work out "skirts" for activewear.  I don't think her clothes impede her ability to keep up with her brother, though.  I always dress her with shorts underneath her dresses so that she doesn't have to worry about everyone seeing London and France. :D 

I was a child like that, always wearing dresses and skirts and even jumpers like those fundies (they where sadly popular in the 90s and my grandma loved sewing lol)i didnt even wear shorts or anything underneath, only wool pantyhose during the cold months but i never had a problem playing, i was like a monkey on the playground, a very active child doing all kind of sports, and never got hurt, i mean i got hurt but like any other child not because of my clothes. But that was possible because neither i or the other kids cared about showing our panties or not, i dont think i even thought about it being embarrasing until i was a pre-teen when i also started wanting to dress "fancy", and some classmates started to wear shorts under their skirts at school just in case the wind would blow and show their panties for a second,oh the horror! maybe nowadays is diferent since kids start dressing like teenagers much younger.

24 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

When is Erin due again? I remember it being late summer, but wasn't sure exactly. 

I'm due August 5. I found out I was pregnant at the end of November (missed my regular to early period, so I took a test). 

UP made a big deal about "Guess which couple is pregnant" at the beginning of January, with them only announcing Whitney's pregnancy. Erin would have known by then if she was pregnant. 

I get why she and Chad wouldn't want to announce so soon, but it seems kind of weird to make them say "No, we're not pregnant" when they actually are. Seems like they could have delayed the announcement of Whitney's pregnancy a little so as to announce it with Erin's. 

I'm probably the only one that things this is odd, but since I'm pregnant too, I couldn't help but notice it. 

I suspect the Paines delayed telling both their families and the UP Network about the pregnancy until they were sure it wasn't going to end in miscarriage. In their initial announcement, they said they told the family on Valentine's Day. I think that's when UP was notified too (during filming) since the network didn't make a special announcement, or even hint about it beforehand, on their website/Instagram until the day after the SheKnows article. Zach and Whitney's announcement was the same night as the season premiere, and I'm pretty sure UP would've exploited the hell out of two pregnancies if they were aware of it. 

11 hours ago, Ursula said:

I went to elementary school with not one but TWO Brooklyns (these girls were born between 1983-1985) so it's always been a normal name to me and it's definitely been used as a name longer than Posh Spice likes to think.  I think it's a nice name and they can always call her just Brook for short.

I recall in the 80's, the soap General Hospital had a character who named her new baby Brooklyn. Prior to that, I'd never heard of this as a first name.

21 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

I suspect the Paines delayed telling both their families and the UP Network about the pregnancy until they were sure it wasn't going to end in miscarriage. In their initial announcement, they said they told the family on Valentine's Day. I think that's when UP was notified too (during filming) since the network didn't make a special announcement, or even hint about it beforehand, on their website/Instagram until the day after the SheKnows article. Zach and Whitney's announcement was the same night as the season premiere, and I'm pretty sure UP would've exploited the hell out of two pregnancies if they were aware of it. 

That makes sense. Must have been hard for them, though. 

22 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I finally found the video I was thinking of where the Bates are lined up in their prairie dresses while the Duggars are next to them in their long denim skirts. 

Starts at about 2:34. 

A couple of things that stood out to me:

Even ~15ish year old Alyssa already looked so freaking over that damn frumper and Lawson already had all the makings of a smug little shithead even then. 

Oh and I feel so sorry for poor Michael being forced to appear on television looking like that at an age where most of her peers were off having fun in college wearing college hoodies and those silly Victoria's Secret PINK Yoga pants and whatnot. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA Allyssa. I love her. She was sooooooooo over it all. A simple intro and you can see the look in her face.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived