IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Greenwich Village has long been known as a Bohemian area.  Christopher Street and the surrounding streets have been a haven for LGBT people since before WWII.  The Oscar Wilde Bookshop opened in 1967 and in late June of 1989, the Stonewall riots erupted sparking the modern gay rights movement.  Gays and lesbians just weren't going to take harassment anymore!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Village

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

This area would just not be acceptable to the Bateses.

Trans people, especially trans women of color, were a huge part of the riots and it's just not accurate to attribute the riots to just "gays and lesbians". So many queer people of all identities were responsible for that important event in queer history and so much has been deliberately erased due to the racist, capitalist, transphobic "equality" based movement in the US. 

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was going to be another boy for some reason.

I am little disappointed. I was expecting a classic name like Elizabeth, or Emily or something of the sort.

That said, I do have a soft spot for Cherin and hope they have a healthy baby (and then spot having kids for a while).

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

I didn't read anything into Kelly's spanking remark. Zach is lucky she didn't go off on him, even verbally, since she obviously did not like the crazy driving. My guess is that Zach knows his mother enough to know she would ultimately be good natured about it. I thought the fascinating part was watching Whitney throughout the ride. Girl was loving it. It was kind of cute that both she and Zach thought the whole thing was fun. I was a little worried about Callie who was worried about Kelly getting hurt. 

Another interesting part of the episode was the discussion about how Chad and Erin met, and how they got to know each other before being official. Or as some of the sisters said, they were basically together without officially being together. That's why I think Bates kids seem more comfortable with the ones they married. They truly got to know each other first. It wasn't  four months from the time they met to the time they married. It was more of a real relationship. I also liked the inference than Erin and Chad were basically hot for each other from the beginning and Erin's CD gave them a reason to spend time with each other. Completely normal part of a relationship. There is more of a real intimacy between the Bates kids and their spouses than you see with the Duggar kids, which is how it should be. 

In defense of the Duggars (you don't know how hard that was to type...)

They were in the spotlight for a long time before Jill and Jessa started courting. Somehow they were able to conceal Jill's courtship until just before the engagement - we still don't have a firm timeline on when it actually started and how long they were talking before that.

Benessa would have gone the same way if they hadn't been outed by one of Ben's relatives. We do know they courted for almost a year before the engagement. - but, again, no real clue on how long they were speaking before that. 

Its possible both couples had decent periods of time to communicate before committing to any type of relationship.

The Bates, on the other hand, have never had the same kind of following the Duggars had. It's much easier for them to hide these types of things for longer periods of time.

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

When is Erin due again? I remember it being late summer, but wasn't sure exactly. 

I'm due August 5. I found out I was pregnant at the end of November (missed my regular to early period, so I took a test). 

UP made a big deal about "Guess which couple is pregnant" at the beginning of January, with them only announcing Whitney's pregnancy. Erin would have known by then if she was pregnant. 

I get why she and Chad wouldn't want to announce so soon, but it seems kind of weird to make them say "No, we're not pregnant" when they actually are. Seems like they could have delayed the announcement of Whitney's pregnancy a little so as to announce it with Erin's. 

I'm probably the only one that things this is odd, but since I'm pregnant too, I couldn't help but notice it. 

I don't find it weird at all. I've had a miscarriage - next time I'm pregnant I may wait until well after hitting 12 weeks to tell anyone outside immediate family, just out of an abundance of caution. Given Erin's medical history, it's  likely they did the same thing this time around.

5 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I don't find it weird at all. I've had a miscarriage - next time I'm pregnant I may wait until well after hitting 12 weeks to tell anyone outside immediate family, just out of an abundance of caution. Given Erin's medical history, it's  likely they did the same thing this time around.

I'm very sorry for your loss, @VelociRapture.  Thinking of you and your Mr. VelociRapture.

Who also caught Zach making fun of girl Michael's name spelling? I thought it was hilarious. It's right toward the end.

I think it's awesome that Erin and Zach are having kids that are so well matched.  According to Gil and Kelly, they used to be inseparable as children, so it's nice that their kids can grow up together too.  I hope that they can use the extended cousin network to get the benefits of lots of having a large family (many playmates, close family friendships, extended support network) spread across several adult couples who can actually afford to give each child individual attention and financially support their families adequately.  

I mean, I'm not hopeful.  But maybe.  

I feel bad for Erin in so many ways. She is surrounded by people having supposedly "normal" pregnancies, and hers will always have a degree of uncertainty. I totally get them holding off on announcing, but it has to be tough wanting to celebrate the same way but feeling the need to wait longer. I totally get it. My sis-in-law and cousin and I were all pregnant together but I miscarried at 8 weeks back in October, and it was hard to celebrate for them and still be hopeful for myself. So I am now 6 weeks pregnant. I am totally excited about this but terrified that something might happen again and I don't know how to "celebrate" at the moment. Watching Erin's journey was actually a big part of my healing. Erin has really been an inspiration to me, much as I snark on the Bateseses. Her situation is difficult and she handles it with such grace. I just hope her family is always as sensitive and supportive as they seem on tv. I have high hopes for baby Brooklyn!

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Or how about Alphabet City Paine?  I can guarantee we'd not see Harlem Paine not Greenwich Village Paine if they knew what happens in the Village!

I would die to see Hell's Kitchen Paine.

As for Kaci Lynn, I keep thinking of the country singer Kacey Musgraves, and how she is "traditional country" to the point of wearing cowgirl outfits on stage.  Although with "Kaci" I keep wanting to pronounce it as khaki (the brownish color), not like K-C.

2 minutes ago, vienna said:

UP is doing a sooo much better Job than TLC.

True.

Although TLC sets a very low bar, as evidenced in their reluctance to let 19KAC go originally, and now their backdoor way of bringing it back.

11 minutes ago, Snarkle said:

I would die to see Hell's Kitchen Paine.

I'm holding out for Financial District Paine or Park Slope Paine. Oh! How about Battery Park Paine? Queens Paine? Bronx Paine?

27 minutes ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I feel bad for Erin in so many ways. She is surrounded by people having supposedly "normal" pregnancies, and hers will always have a degree of uncertainty. I totally get them holding off on announcing, but it has to be tough wanting to celebrate the same way but feeling the need to wait longer. I totally get it. My sis-in-law and cousin and I were all pregnant together but I miscarried at 8 weeks back in October, and it was hard to celebrate for them and still be hopeful for myself. So I am now 6 weeks pregnant. I am totally excited about this but terrified that something might happen again and I don't know how to "celebrate" at the moment. Watching Erin's journey was actually a big part of my healing. Erin has really been an inspiration to me, much as I snark on the Bateseses. Her situation is difficult and she handles it with such grace. I just hope her family is always as sensitive and supportive as they seem on tv. I have high hopes for baby Brooklyn!

I'm really sorry for your loss. Fingers crossed things turn out much better for you this time!

And I agree with everything you said about Erin - just knowing there are other women who have dealt with this has helped me a lot as well. Especially for someone like Erin, who comes from a culture that teaches it's all your fault if you miscarry. I had a good deal of respect for her willingness to share before, but more so know that I've experienced it myself. I can't even imagine what must have gone through her mind each time she saw that positive result.

On 3/10/2016 at 11:52 AM, season of life said:

Oh my God, I hate those "pray for a politician's campaign" things. Ted Cruz is fine. He is not dangerously ill or declaring bankruptcy. Why on earth would he need YOUR prayers, David? 

But Ted has not denied being the Zodiac Killer!!! And he ate a booger off his own face. 

9 hours ago, Alicja said:

Brooklyn Elise is a nice name.

I like it too. Though Brooklyn reminds me of Lois on General Hospital naming her kid Brook Lynn. Liked it then too, ha! Of course, while fictional, at least Lois actually had a reason for naming her child that since she was from there. Unlike any of these fundies using the name.

8 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I'm from a country where school uniforms are the norm and this was something I really resented as a child. While the boys happily climbed all over the playground equipment and ran around, us girls were severely limited by the dresses and skirts we were forced to wear. It still happens, especially in private schools, and then they wonder why young girls are much less active than boys. 

In the 90s, the onus was always on us to 'not flash your knickers, it's not ladylike' rather than the radical notion that perhaps a better idea would be to let 8 year old girls wear a pair of shorts and a shirt to school and encourage them to be active rather than forcing 'girls to be girls' and wear dresses that impede girls from playing. 

We wore skirts and dresses too, and we never really gave a shit about showing our knickers. We had a slide, we went down that. We even had some sort of climbing structure where the cool thing at one stage was to hold onto one bar and do a complete somersault around it. I'd've been about a decade younger than you by the sounds of it. I think my school's changed the uniform policy since then, and girls can now wear trousers. It was easier in the winter when we wore tights, but even in summer we never gave a damn. 

3 hours ago, OperaRocks said:

I recall in the 80's, the soap General Hospital had a character who named her new baby Brooklyn. Prior to that, I'd never heard of this as a first name.

Nah, Brook wasn't born until I was in high school so around like 1995 or 96.

22 minutes ago, twinmama said:

But Ted has not denied being the Zodiac Killer!!! And he ate a booger off his own face. 

I like it too. Though Brooklyn reminds me of Lois on General Hospital naming her kid Brook Lynn. Liked it then too, ha! Of course, while fictional, at least Lois actually had a reason for naming her child that since she was from there. Unlike any of these fundies using the name.

Big GH fan here too and I always liked the name as well. I actually like how it sounds with Elise, so I like it - better than Kaci Lynn, imo.

@Ofglen, I knew there were some trans women and trans women of color, at that, who had participated in Stonewall and never, ever meant to cause offense by not mentioning their participation. 

37 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Nah, Brook wasn't born until I was in high school so around like 1995 or 96.

Aha. I found in the Oracle that she was indeed "born" in 1996, and was also called Brook Lynn. I was a shell-shocked member of Babyland in the 90's, so the fact that I could even come up with information approximating the truth makes me proud.

7 hours ago, sunshine said:

Now that the Duggars are "back," do you think that we will see a drop in viewership with the Bates as before?

I feel like the new counting on, is mimicking more of the bringing up bates. The promos especially. The white background, people jumping like they're in high school musical.

But judging from the sneak preview they just showed, the show seems to have matured. No silly music or dumb questions in the interviews. We ll see. 

I just enjoy watching the howlers. I miss when johannah would hit Jackson, or never have her hair done. Most people hated it, but rambunctious children are hilarious.

On 3/10/2016 at 4:40 PM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I finally found the video I was thinking of where the Bates are lined up in their prairie dresses while the Duggars are next to them in their long denim skirts. 

Starts at about 2:34. 

A couple of things that stood out to me:

Even ~15ish year old Alyssa already looked so freaking over that damn frumper and Lawson already had all the makings of a smug little shithead even then. 

Oh and I feel so sorry for poor Michael being forced to appear on television looking like that at an age where most of her peers were off having fun in college wearing college hoodies and those silly Victoria's Secret PINK Yoga pants and whatnot. 

Michael doesn't strike me as the type who would have been the "typical" teenager, partying it up in college, even if she had grown up non-fundie (neither does Erin). 

I was very "frumpy" in high school. I liked to wear long plaid skirts and button-up cardigans (I would have fit right in with the Duggars or Bateses most days). I strongly disliked most other teenagers and had no desire to spend time with them outside of school (when I was forced to). I spent my spare time doing my homework, reading, and singing in the church choir. I'm sure if I had been on a reality show, people would have been commenting about how unfortunate it was that I had to live this dull, conservative life, but I was happy and it was all my own choice. 

Now, obviously the Bates girls didn't get to choose for themselves, but based on what I've seen of their personalities (which, admittedly, isn't all that much), Michael and Erin definitely seem like the type who would have stayed home reading or studying on Friday nights and been perfectly happy. I definitely can't picture either of them in PINK sweatpants, even if they had grown up completely "normal." Alyssa, Carlin, and Tori on the other hand, I can totally picture as typical loud, giggly, teenage girls, always surrounded by a pack of friends, joining sororities in college, etc. 

Cloudlet was watching over my shoulder when I scrolled over the frumperlicious family photo and asked me who these people were. I told her these were the Bateses and she promptly asked which one was Norman.

i have raised her well and she will be ready to make her snark debut in a few short years. 

@AuntCloud, do you mind if I tell my daughter about what Cloudlet says?  She's a huge fan of Bates Motel. I hope she's already seen the season 3 opener.  It's a lulu.

2 hours ago, O Latin said:

Michael doesn't strike me as the type who would have been the "typical" teenager, partying it up in college, even if she had grown up non-fundie (neither does Erin). 

I was very "frumpy" in high school. I liked to wear long plaid skirts and button-up cardigans (I would have fit right in with the Duggars or Bateses most days). I strongly disliked most other teenagers and had no desire to spend time with them outside of school (when I was forced to). I spent my spare time doing my homework, reading, and singing in the church choir. I'm sure if I had been on a reality show, people would have been commenting about how unfortunate it was that I had to live this dull, conservative life, but I was happy and it was all my own choice. 

Now, obviously the Bates girls didn't get to choose for themselves, but based on what I've seen of their personalities (which, admittedly, isn't all that much), Michael and Erin definitely seem like the type who would have stayed home reading or studying on Friday nights and been perfectly happy. I definitely can't picture either of them in PINK sweatpants, even if they had grown up completely "normal." Alyssa, Carlin, and Tori on the other hand, I can totally picture as typical loud, giggly, teenage girls, always surrounded by a pack of friends, joining sororities in college, etc. 

I wouldn't say I was frumpy in high school (other than the standard cringeyness that comes when you look back on 15 year old pictures because of now dated fashions) but as someone who has always been an introvert with little interest in parties and clubs, I definitely appreciate what you're saying. If I was on a reality show, people would likely pity my 'lack of social life', but my social life is fine, I'm just the type who has a smaller number of close friends rather than a shit ton of acquaintances I party with and enjoys studying more than drinking. 

Michael definitely strikes me as the biggest KoolAid drinker of the oldest kids and I don't think there is any doubt she was much more content with the lifestyle and family she was born into than Alyssa was. 

You're right that it is a stretch to think Michael would wear PINK Yoga pants, so maybe not the best example. But regardless, there is still just something really.....sad about a then nineteen year old girl (and Erin would have been 17 or 18 here as well) being put on television in a horrid pink floral frumper dress with a frilly collar that matches her kid and toddler sisters at an age when her peers are off discovering their own style and having new experiences that don't involve potty training their little siblings. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived