IGNORED

Bates Family Part 11

Coconut Flan

I was just coming to post about that. 

Heres an interesting quote from the article:

"As for whether the family plans to keep on expanding, Erin explained, "It’s hard to imagine what the future may hold. So far, parenting has been fun, rewarding and quite the adventure. While Brooklyn was a surprise, we feel so blessed and so excited that she’s on her way, and we couldn’t be more in love with Carson. We’re really trying to stay focused on getting Brooklyn here and soaking every moment in as our little family of three."

sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1115355/bringing-up-bates-chad-erin-pain-reveal-babys-gender-and-name-exclusive-video

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is it with fundies and the name Brooklyn (Josie Duggars middle name right?) considering they're not exactly connected to the NYC boro?

I think that if FJ wants to make some serious cash, we need to start investing in companies that make giant headflowers for baby girls.  I will eat my shoe if little Brooklynn is not wearing them every day.

Oh good, Brooklyn can inherit Allie Jane's giant wardrobe of headflowers and cute moccasins.  Although I guess she will have to fight the other future girl cousin for them.

On the other hand, I suppose leghumpers/Etsy artisans will send Erin a bunch of baby gifts, too.

PS Isn't Chad & Erin's cute cottage only 2 bedrooms?  

14 hours ago, Ursula said:

avaginaisnotaclowncar.jpg.89341d672b19b7

Why is everyone stuck in the late 90's but Michael,  who is in the mid 80's?

4 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

What is it with fundies and the name Brooklyn (Josie Duggars middle name right?) considering they're not exactly connected to the NYC boro?

Yup, it's Josie's middle name. At least for the Duggars, maybe they heard the name from the times they've visited NYC and liked it. It's also kind of a popular name, or at least getting popular in my part of the world.

You know what's even worse than the giant head flowers for baby girls? These baby head turban things that I've been seeing on baby girls with disturbing frequency recently. Colorful patterned fabric all twisted around and bowed at the side. It just screams "strangulation hazard" to me. Also, it looks stupid. *Rant Over*

Did they make the gender and name reveal video at the same time as Zach & Whitney? They're literally the same - wife with balloon outside, husband comes in to hug her with a chalkboard that says the name, same stupid piano music even. Are they both just too unoriginal to think of something else?

14 minutes ago, freethemall said:

Did they make the gender and name reveal video at the same time as Zach & Whitney? They're literally the same - wife with balloon outside, husband comes in to hug her with a chalkboard that says the name, same stupid piano music even. Are they both just too unoriginal to think of something else?

Yeah, I think it is the same exact thing as Zach and Whitney's.

27 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I assumed that UP filmed them both at the same time. The parents may not have had much of a say in the matter.  Of course if they had done some sort of over the top expensive reveal, we'd be bitching at them for being spendthrift.

Me, I don't understand why folks have to spend some much money/effort on "reveals" and "proposals" today. Why can't things be lowkey? Why are people spending so much money on this stuff? Whatever happened to frugality?

Disappointed with the name. Not at all classic like I thought they'd choose. So now there's Kaci Lynn and Brooklyn.

3 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

Erin has the same hair color situation as me: it was a nice medium blonde that darkened over the years, until it settled on that awkward shade of dark blonde (not quite blonde, not quite light brown) that you just have to something with or you look drab and washed out (unless you like to wear a shit ton of make-up, which I do not). Depending on skin tone, eye color, and overall hair texture, some look better better by coloring it darker, while on others it is more flattering to go lighter. I tried light brown for a while, but it just didn't suit me for some reason; it just wasn't "me". Plus I have blonde lashes and brows, so medium blonde looks more natural on me than trying to pull off brown.

I'm in the exact same hair boat as you and Erin, except despite being a blonde kid, I look awful as a blonde adult, so I dye my hair a medium brown. It's such an annoying hair colour to have because keeping up with dying it is expensive and I wish I didn't have to bother. 

I love the name, it's a little trendy but sounds cute to me. Better than Allie and Kaci.

Not surprised at Brooklyn, but I am not a fan. Any name with "-lyn[n]" sounds cheesy to me. I do think it's sweet that Chad convinced her to give the baby the same middle name as Erin. And Elise is a decent name.

I finally found the video I was thinking of where the Bates are lined up in their prairie dresses while the Duggars are next to them in their long denim skirts. 

Starts at about 2:34. 

A couple of things that stood out to me:

Even ~15ish year old Alyssa already looked so freaking over that damn frumper and Lawson already had all the makings of a smug little shithead even then. 

Oh and I feel so sorry for poor Michael being forced to appear on television looking like that at an age where most of her peers were off having fun in college wearing college hoodies and those silly Victoria's Secret PINK Yoga pants and whatnot. 

5 minutes ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I finally found the video I was thinking of where the Bates are lined up in their prairie dresses while the Duggars are next to them in their long denim skirts. 

Starts at about 2:34. 

A couple of things that stood out to me:

Even ~15ish year old Alyssa already looked so freaking over that damn frumper and Lawson already had all the makings of a smug little shithead even then. 

Oh and I feel so sorry for poor Michael being forced to appear on television looking like that at an age where most of her peers were off having fun in college wearing college hoodies and those silly Victoria's Secret PINK Yoga pants and whatnot. 

Did TLC really spell it Micaleh ...:confused2: poor girl has been having an identity crisis her whole life. 

Don't like the name Brooklyn for people but I do think Elise goes better with it than Grace.  Zero points for originality, regardless.

The only thing worse than the "styling" of the frumpers was some of the colors/combinations.  I've seriously wondered if there's color-blindness in that family.

I like the name, I wouldn't use it but I like it. The initials are a bit unfortunate to me (BEP) but not all together terrible or cringe worthy. I personally never think of Brooklyn the name and Brooklyn the place being related even if I know in the back of my mind they are the same. 

Just want to point out the stitched Teddy Bear with American flag clothing on Michael's shirt in that picture. Reminds me of my first grade teacher. Poor girl.

At least they're not giving it a yooneek spelling. Brookkellyn or BrookLynne or god only knows what else. 

Meh. Brooklyn is a super popular name where I'm from for people in their teens. I don't love it or hate it, but I do like Elise. I know it's Erin's middle name but I think it's very pretty.

I was never a fan of the name Brooklyn. To me, that's a place in New York, not a name! 

I like Elise for the middle name. I just wish they would have gone with a different first name.

There are YouTuber twins named Brooklyn and Bailey - I quite like those two names together for twins.

I have a friend who said her daughter will be Brooklyn (and her son will be some stupid name I have NEVER heard of and subsequently forgotten). I said "Sure, as long as if you have another daughter she's called Bailey." No idea WHY I said that, but she said she loved that idea and the second girl if there is one will be Bailey.

(What happens when Corruption does do the occasional drinking session...)

4 hours ago, Grace said:

I think their social group was running behind the times. I grew up decidedly not fundy and we had lots of homemade dresses very similar to these with horrible farm prints and a dress for every  single holiday  including stuff like St  Patrick's Day.  This was the late 80's and early 90's. Horrifying  to look back on, but we loved them then. I thought I was very cool.

I think that's what she's saying thought. It's not fundies being stylish, it's the Bates trying to be stylish by fundie standards.

And really you look at a lot of fundie fashion, and modest chic is all over the place. Long skits, big scarves, long tumbling hair. I think access to pintrest has led fundies to seem more "in-style" because they're exposed to more mordern styles, but it will take one mega hit book titled something stupid like "Dress to Impress, Win Your Husband The Godly Way" that's a poorly written 200 page treatise on how women should only wear long dresses with long sleeves in grey or navy and that's what we'll start to see on fundie young women. those with more visibility would choose stylish ones, poor obscure families that we only talk about won't.

And I absolutely believe there's pressure on big name families to draw in a new flock by being general public palpable. Get the curious non-believers asking questions, get them hooked, sink them into fundie hell. It's the mo of basically all cults. Gothards fall from grace probably has a lot to do with that as well

when I was 12 I thought I "came up" with the name Brooklyn for a girl and couldn't wait to name my future daughter that but BETTER! I was going to spell it Brooklynne! Thank Jebus I wasn't a teen mother because that is now not something I would ever choose. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived