IGNORED

Bates Family Part 10

Coconut Flan

7 minutes ago, refugee said:

My mom broke a wooden spoon on my brother's backside, at least once, and maybe more than once). 

we must be related. That happened a few too many times in my family too.
And having the wooden spoon break while you were getting spanked was apparently the kids fault, which always resulted in more lashed.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, refugee said:

I don't even know what plumbing line is. Sounds horrible.

It's also known as PVC pipe. Michael Pearl says that you can use PVC pipe that's a quarter of an inch thick. It's really awful.

Warning for anyone Googling this: it'll bring up a picture from a Salon article that shows a diagram of a kid with places to be "corrected" with tools the Pearls suggest.

38 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

Maybe JRod's divine purpose is to be a unifying force at Free Jinger :my_biggrin:

a SEVERELY unifying force.

I once knew a family that made their kids kneel on a broom handle as a punishment. They had lots of kids, (Catholic family). 

7 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I once knew a family that made their kids kneel on a broom handle as a punishment. They had lots of kids, (Catholic family). 

OMG! I knew a family that did this as well!!

That makes me think of a book I read where the dad made the daughter kneel on rice for hours. Once I thought about it, I realized how much that would hurt. But I'm always amazed at the cruel things people come up. I would never think of these types of things. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Sounds like punishments I read about in WWII, Korean war, and Vietnam war prison camp accounts. My knees ache just thinking about it. I wonder if the parents ever assigned themselves the same penance? Sheesh.

Erin responded to Lawson telling him to stay on his own page. I'm liking Erin more and more.

Ugh the rice! I remember that from an episode of Law and Order SVU, very painful looking. 

7 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Erin responded to Lawson telling him to stay on his own page. I'm liking Erin more and more.

Which photo is this on again?? Ahhhhh must see!!!!

4 minutes ago, GothardsType said:

Which photo is this on again?? Ahhhhh must see!!!!

Its on this one: 

2 hours ago, MissBitters said:

Maybe JRod's divine purpose is to be a unifying force at Free Jinger :my_biggrin:

I remember after the Amy accident we fought there because some of us were seeing the signs of Jill's making this all about her and others still held out hope that she was a somewhat decent human being.  

We were so innocent then.  

8 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Its on this one: 

This Instagram picture is 2 months old. How can Erin be responding to Lawson's recent comments on it?

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

This Instagram picture is 2 months old. How can Erin be responding to Lawson's recent comments on it?

By commenting on it...

23 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Do you have a screenshot? I don't want it to disappear if Erin is admonished by Gil!

On 2/21/2016 at 4:58 PM, infooverload said:

Why is there this notion a walk away or deconversion is a quick process? People are indoctrinated over a slow gradual process, so the opposite seems perfectly reasonable. Does anyone have favorite deconversion stories?

I think you may be asking about deconversion from fundamentalist religion, but I was raised Catholic, and was a practicing Catholic through college and into my mid to later 20's.  By that, I mean that I regularly attended church on Sundays, observed Lent, and referred to myself as Catholic.  I was not particularly involved in the church or church activities after my first year in college (when I joined the college Catholic group). 

My departure from the Church and eventually from any structured religion was very gradual.  I realized that going to church was mostly a habit and that I often zoned out.  I was just going through the motions.  Then the sexual abuse scandals came to light and I was quite disillusioned to learn that the church had merely moved sexual predators around, free to continue to prey on children in another parish.  That's what really did it for me and I stopped going entirely at that time.

Beyond that, finding my own spiritual ground has been an ongoing process.  So too I imagine with anyone who grew up being taught certain religious doctrine and then becoming an adult, having life experiences of their own, and finding that some things that worked for their parents do not necessarily feel right to them.

I hope someone who knows how posts a screenshot. I have to say I love the comment to Lawson -

"@lawbates Reply on your page, Bro! [followed by a winky emoji and a thumbs up emoji]"

This comment by a fan or friend appears to be the most recent comment (unless I am totally misunderstanding how Instagram works which wouldn't be surprising).  I would love to see if any of the kidults responds to this one - 

"I would just like to point out that supporting the ministry (IBLP & ATI) is not the same as supporting the man (Bill Gothard). To say that supporting the institution is akin to aiding and abetting any form of abuse is the same as accusing the Catholic church for the actions of individual priests. Just my personal opinion.."

I get the feeling those might have been passive-aggressive emoticons, lol. I'm sure she's tired of her phone blowing up from comments made on a weeks-old picture.

Edited to add: I would've died if she blessed Lawson's heart.

10 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

I think you may be asking about deconversion from fundamentalist religion, but I was raised Catholic, and was a practicing Catholic through college and into my mid to later 20's.  By that, I mean that I regularly attended church on Sundays, observed Lent, and referred to myself as Catholic.  I was not particularly involved in the church or church activities after my first year in college (when I joined the college Catholic group). 

My departure from the Church and eventually from any structured religion was very gradual.  I realized that going to church was mostly a habit and that I often zoned out.  I was just going through the motions.  Then the sexual abuse scandals came to light and I was quite disillusioned to learn that the church had merely moved sexual predators around, free to continue to prey on children in another parish.  That's what really did it for me and I stopped going entirely at that time.

Beyond that, finding my own spiritual ground has been an ongoing process.  So too I imagine with anyone who grew up being taught certain religious doctrine and then becoming an adult, having life experiences of their own, and finding that some things that worked for their parents do not necessarily feel right to them.

Same is true for me.  Very, very gradual process.  My kids have recently been asking to go to Mass, and I have been considering taking them.  I'm very confliclted.  On the one hand, there are tons of evangelicals and nondenominational churches around here, not to mention all the Baptists.... and none of them would have any problem trying to fill my kids' "spiritual vaccuum" if I don't put something in it.... Then again... Ugh.  Church.  

40 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

The sexual abuse scandals, and more importantly how those abuses were handled by Rome, is why we walked away from the RCC. It was the final straw. 

29 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

Same is true for me.  Very, very gradual process.  My kids have recently been asking to go to Mass, and I have been considering taking them.  I'm very confliclted.  On the one hand, there are tons of evangelicals and nondenominational churches around here, not to mention all the Baptists.... and none of them would have any problem trying to fill my kids' "spiritual vaccuum" if I don't put something in it.... Then again... Ugh.  Church.  

Even though we have walked away from the RCC, I never, in my 45 years of active involvement remember hate for others preached at the pulpit. For this reason, I could not attend any other Christian denomination- some of those other denominations seem much more vocal and not necessarily in a positive way.

I might try a secular humanist gathering, but another Christian Church, no. I'd go back to the RCC first.

@SassyPants You might look into churches like Unity or Unitarian Universalists. They are both Christian denominations that don't preach hate. There were quite a number of former baptists at my Unity church looking for a more loving God. I haven't been in years, but if you're looking for a church that doesn't teach hate for anyone and doesn't do any "soul winning", they might fit your bill. This is in no way meant to be pushy. I just thought you might be interested in the info.

As a non-theist I would also suggest checking out the Episcopal church.  Everyone's mileage will vary, but there was no hate preached at my growing up church (and I was confirmed etc)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived