IGNORED

What is cuddly, fluffy and starts with an E? Sarah Maxwell Gets a Dog

albanuadh_1

Wow! I'm really happy for Sarah cause, let's face it, she'll never get married or have children unless a miracle happens and this way, Sarah at least has a companion she can take care of and something that will bring a little joy and fun into her life. I doubt the dog will have a bad life at the Maxwell home. He'll probably be disciplined, which is actually not bad at all, get fed (I doubt Sarah would starve her pal) and go on long walks and hikes. She'll(Ellie) have plenty of people willing to play with her and those girls will have something to brighten up their long and dreary days. The Maxwells had dogs before, so I'll just assume that they know what they're getting themselves into.

Sarah seems thrilled and it's almost comforting to know that there's something that makes her happy. They can shop for cute doggy accessories and bargain shop dog food. In Maxhell this is almost like going to Disney World.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought, from Sarah's post that English Cream Golden Retrievers were a slightly different breed of dog to Goldens, or a specially bred colour, but apparently cream is within the normal range of colours Goldens come in.

From the Golden Retriever Club of Canada:

http://thedailygolden.com/2014/04/18/dont-be-decieved-english-cream-golden-retrievers/

The Golden Retriever Club of Canada would like to emphasize to breeders and puppy-buyers alike that the cream colour has always been part of the full spectrum of colours found in our breed.

and...

To call the current light ones ‘English Cream Golden Retrievers’ is incorrect terminology

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Ellie is one gorgeous little girl, and I'm sure she and Sarah will be wonderful together. So happy to see Sarah striking out and doing something just for her.

I hope Sarah really gets to enjoy Ellie. She is a cute puppy.

9 hours ago, LaParisienne said:

Without training, you can except a lot of mess in your house but also in your garden and around people.

I'm sure she'll blanket train.

Yeah, it's just a marketing term- it doesn't really mean anything. Frankly, in the show ring in the UK, you see very nearly the same range of colors you do here! (Which ranges from sort of honey-colored blonde through to cream; the dark red dogs tend to be from field lines and significantly more energetic.) It's gotten seized on by pet-oriented breeders breeding from European show (or show-ish) lines to demarcate a certain general color (the lighter the better) and blockier head type and in theory lazier temperaments. The ones I've seen in pet obedience classes have all been very dull, lazy dogs- not very retrievery, but if you want a squishy kid's play toy, not necessarily a bad choice. (Absolutely MADDENING lack of retrieve drive though, speaking as a trainer!) 

The lighter Golden Retrievers are more common here in Sweden I think. I know someone who had a small Golden Retriever who was on the more redheaded end of the spectrum. People always thought she had a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. She was so annoyed but I do get that at a first glance people could mistake the two breeds in that particular case. I did like the rich orange color of that dog very much, it made that particular dog look very nice. It sadly had to be put down a couple of years ago.

13 hours ago, kpmom said:

Agree.  I have no memory at all of Steve saying that.  I'm almost positive they never mentioned Honey's death at all.

The last time I can see that Honey was mentioned, Grandpa and Gigi were looking after her while the Maxbus was on tour in 2010.  After that, crickets.

I am glad Sarah has a dog for company and, personally, I see nothing wrong with being single in ones 30s.  My sadness for the situation is that a dog is on one hand a commitment and a tie to the home that Steve rules, and on the other hand, a dog has no eternal soul and therefore no real value in Steve's eyes.  

Now, fuck Steve, is my opinion on that, but it does seem sadly symbolic that Sarah has expressed a wish to be part of her own independent marriage relationship, and instead she has been given a pet to play with.

Ellie really is a cute puppy!  We lost our American Eskimo in October, and I've been wanting another dog ever since.  Golden retrievers seems like the perfect family dog, thought I've not been around them extensively.  I want a doberman pup ;)

Add me to the list who is glad for Sarah.  I feel so badly for her, although maybe she's totally content with her life.  She doesn't know any different, but at least I hope her puppy takes some of the edge off her watching others get married and have babies, if that's the case.

21 minutes ago, klynn said:

Ellie really is a cute puppy!  We lost our American Eskimo in October, and I've been wanting another dog ever since.  Golden retrievers seems like the perfect family dog, thought I've not been around them extensively.  I want a doberman pup ;)

Dobermans are so smart! We looked into them before we got our German Shepherd.  :pb_smile:  Let us know if you end up getting one!

I agree that a Golden seems like it would make a great family dog. 

9 hours ago, blessalessi said:

she has been given a pet to play with.

While I do (sorta) understand what you are saying, my canines have helped me through some tough times.  Perhaps Ellie will do the same for poor Sarah.  And I do believe the sparkle in Sarah's eyes is genuine, which we haven't seen in a lng while.

5 minutes ago, gustava said:

While I do (sorta) understand what you are saying, my canines have helped me through some tough times.  Perhaps Ellie will do the same for poor Sarah.  And I do believe the sparkle in Sarah's eyes is genuine, which we haven't seen in a lng while.

I 100% agree with you.  That dog may very well save Sarah.  

Im glad Sarah finally gets a friend, someone who will make her happy and show her love. She needs something like this in her life, with her controlling parents, boring life and so much isolation that she is so different from anyone else her age...none of that matters to a dog.

It really is surprising that Stevehovah has allowed this; I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those discussions.  Think about all the things that are forbidden to his family because it takes away from JEESUS: Competitive Sports, Pepsi, TV, Reading for pleasure, News.  Now he is going to allow Sarah to have a dog?!  I wonder what restrictions will be placed on her?  No dogs in the living room, maybe even no dogs in the house?  A limit to the amount of time she can spend with her puppy? I wonder how much money Sarah will be allowed to spend on her dog?  What if Ellie needs expensive veterinary treatment?  Will those decisions be up to Sarah or Steve?

I hope that they won't skimp on quality food, monthly flea and heartworm treatment, and good vet care.  I know people have different ideas about raising dogs-- such as feeding them table scraps and giving them rawhide bones, and keeping them tied up-- but hopefully Sarah will insist on doing what is right for her new companion.

1 hour ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

It really is surprising that Stevehovah has allowed this; I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during those discussions.  Think about all the things that are forbidden to his family because it takes away from JEESUS: Competitive Sports, Pepsi, TV, Reading for pleasure, News.  Now he is going to allow Sarah to have a dog?!  I wonder what restrictions will be placed on her?  No dogs in the living room, maybe even no dogs in the house?  A limit to the amount of time she can spend with her puppy? I wonder how much money Sarah will be allowed to spend on her dog?  What if Ellie needs expensive veterinary treatment?  Will those decisions be up to Sarah or Steve?

I hope that they won't skimp on quality food, monthly flea and heartworm treatment, and good vet care.  I know people have different ideas about raising dogs-- such as feeding them table scraps and giving them rawhide bones, and keeping them tied up-- but hopefully Sarah will insist on doing what is right for her new companion.

I don't know how healthy Goldens' hips are, but they get cancer far too frequently.  I'd hate for Sarah to lose Ellie to cancer because cancer sucks!  I'd hate even more for Sarah to lose Ellie to cancer because Stevehovah just wouldn't consider treatment.

What is cuddly, fluffy and starts with an E?

An Ermine?  though aren't they weasels, so I don't know how cuddly they'd be, really.

On 1/25/2016 at 5:42 PM, mango_fandango said:

THOUGHT it would be a puppy. It looks cute. And dogs are better than cats when it comes to schedules- when people were discussing Erika getting a pet, people were talking about their feline headships. 

Sarah looks happy. I hope everything works out. I hope there isn't a repeat Erika situation where it gets dumped after two months.

Dogs are better than cats? No Taco Bell for you!

Initially when I read the post the optimist in me thought that maybe this pup was a gift from her future husband, extensively discussed with her current headship. Some of that came from her specifically saying that Ellie wasn't a birthday gift.  The other clue was that she left out Steve's role in the decision, we all know he had a major role in her choice of getting a dog.  So I thought, maybe her future headship wanted to get her a gift and he knew they wanted a dog and he contacted Steve and and and...

However...

You have all convinced me that this is the best possible future for Sarah.  Dog mom.  Alright.  No more babies in the cult.  Poor Sarah doesn't have the culture shock of a marriage. I'm sold.  

Poor Sarah though, that this is the best we could possibly hope for her.  

Fuck her fucking parents and their fucked up beliefs. Seriously.  

I just had a random thought: do you think Steve is ever just slightly amused by us? :my_smile:

1 hour ago, Charliemae said:

I fully am 100% certain that Steve dose not read Freejinger.  Other posters feel otherwise.

100% is pretty solid! Why so sure? 

7 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

I'm honestly interested in why you think that dog food pellets or canned dog food are better than some leftover chicken or some raw beef? Our dog usually gets leftover meat and grains, some leftover veggies, sometimes raw meat and has never felt better. Before that, she's reacted with an allergy to the pellets because dog food contains a lot of Vitamin A and other added ingredients, which can cause rashes and itching in dogs and affect their joints. 

ETA: You said quality food, I read "quality dog food", apology in advance if you meant what I was saying. 

2 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I just had a random thought: do you think Steve is ever just slightly amused by us? :my_smile:

I am in the 100% certain that he does read here, based on his open email conversations with several members, and his timely editing of posting errors based on our comments here.

I think we are his guilty pleasure.  He just can't give us up. ;)

I'm also pretty sure Stevehova at least sometimes reads here. Which brings me to the question if he ever rethinks his behaviour and actions when he gets criticised once again for harming his family? Or is he gone way too far down the rabbit hole to even care or understand what we are talking about?

Also, sometimes I fear, not only with him but other fundies too, that if we discuss certain scenarios or things kids could do to escpae, or remark that xy seems to be over the cult or becoming more liberal, that that could backlash in a big way for them if the fundie patriarch reads here. Which is why for example we don't speculate about the sexuality of people still living with their parents. But in Maxhell, even harmless remarks could lead to bad results if Stevehova thinks that his power over his victims family is slipping.

On the other hand, I also think it's very important that we discuss the harms and hypocrisies of fundie cult lifestyle openly. And show how ridiculous those cult leaders really are.

I'm surprised Stevo has allowed Sarah to have a pet. I wonder if he's trying to take some of the heat away from him. Maybe us FJers aren't his only critics.

Archived