IGNORED

Amy Jordan Duggar Jordan Duggar King Duggar Wedding Part 3 AKA Amy and Dillon King

Coconut Flan

I suppose it's possible that Dillon made a claim against the other driver's insurance company for compensation for the accident and the other insurance company is fighting the claim or whatever instead of paying it, so that's why he didn't pay the bill.  That's happened in some of my cases, but it never gets to actual litigation.  

As for insurance, I have no idea what Dillon does, but if I am correct, Arkansas is one of those states that did something weird with the Medicaid expansion option (the way I read it is if you make more than about $21,000 a year you don't qualify, but that's based on 15 minutes of half-assed looking, so I could be wrong), so there may be people who fall within the gap where they cannot afford actual insurance at the market rate, but they don't qualify for the Obamacare subsidy, either.  

Not that I know one way or the other what Dillon's situation is.  I'm not going to snark on someone for being unable to pay a $51,000 medical bill, though. That's a lot of money.  

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he makes so little he was able to get out of the health insurance requirement?  It can be waived if you make below a certain amount (at least in my state).  Hence why he had no insurance.

20 hours ago, season of life said:

This is a portion from a Radar article that sums up the lawsuit:

"According to Arkansas’ Benton County Circuit Court documents exclusively obtained by Radar, the 28-year-old failed to pay Bentonville’s Northwest Medical Center $51,940.53 more than a year after receiving treatment at the hospital.

The Plaintiff demanded of Defendants that said items be paid for in full on numerous occasions including: at or immediately following the time of providing the various items; within the 30 day period following the providing of said items; on or about June 26, 2015; and on numerous other occasions since said items were provided,” the medical center’s attorneys wrote.

King was hospitalized from January 22 to January 25, 2015, an itemized receipt states. Though the court redacted the specific procedures, the treatment seems to stem from his car wreck that week."

Radar also linked the court documents: http://radaronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/dillon-king-lawsuit-court-docs-signed.pdf

A 3 day stay at a hospital 52 thousand dollars? What the actual fuck? I knew the american system was kinda fucked up, but this is just insane

11 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

A 3 day stay at a hospital 52 thousand dollars? What the actual fuck? I knew the american system was kinda fucked up, but this is just insane

There's a reason why medical bills are the number one reason for bankruptcy in the United States.  It's sickening that we're the only first world country without universal health care.

Reviewed the legal doc (looking at the medical bill they have with the legal doc)

$2k of interest - from not paying the bill. (detail is in the legal doc not the attached bill)

The original billed about was $80k.  $28k was paid leaving the rest they are attempting to collect.

I don't find that extraordinary (I did work in accounting in a hospital for a whopping 6 months before getting downsized back in the mid-90s).  Emergency room treatment plus I'm assuming surgery plus room charges.  That attached probably does not include the fees for doctors, anesthesiologist etc.  

If he had medical insurance, wouldn't that have been much lower? I admit to knowing very little about how it all works. I just know that with our insurance, we have yet to end up with insane bills like that. Even after ER visits, surgeries, overnight stays, physical therapy, x-rays, medications, etc.

With insurance, there is the total bill then what insurance covers.  It depends on what type of insurance you have regarding what part is yours.  For instance, I have a high deductible plan.  So everything until the deductible is mine to pay.  Once you hit the deductible they start paying.  But there is also in-network and out of network issues on top of that.  Typically in-network is covered better than out of network.

In this case, it is even more cloudy because a vehicle accident is involved.  Amy claims that someone hit him, implying that they are at fault and should cover.  Unless they were uninsured.  In which case your insurance should kick in.  But is this covered by his auto insurance?  Then you get into what kind of auto insurance he has.  Does he have more full coverage auto or is he rolling around with liability only?  

And there could be bickering going on with insurance companies.  I had a friend that was in an accident 25 or so years ago.  Chain reaction.  The insurance companies involved argued for years on who was responsible for what.  In the meantime the bill collectors are circling with their hands out.  

What would classify as a high deductible anyway?

We also have to pay 100% of charges until we reach our deductible. Then we pay 20% until we reach our out of pocket max. I honestly have no idea if what we're paying is considered a lot or not.

I feel like by $50,000 shouldn't he have reached some sort of out of pocket max?!

It's what they call this particular insurance selection where I work (although I think they renamed it) - it's the one the company prefers we be on.  

Remember the original bill on this is a hair under $80k.  They are suing for almost $52k.  Someone at some point paid the difference.  it is unknown if this is his insurance, him, or someone else's insurance.  So it could be, since we don't know details of his insurance, that he did meet the max.  

And Amy's shrieking on social media about the ebil media (when the media is all nice when she wants to use them for fame) means little to me in my analysis of this.

Amy's recent Instagram caption says - Funny how it only takes 1 phone call for me to make this facial expression!! There's never a dull moment! #filming

What would she be filming??

Oh, no. Amy's crazy eyes. They take the cake, over Sierra's and Michelle's.

5 minutes ago, season of life said:

Are you sure about that? J'chelle's "I need a baby" look is pretty damn crazed.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

Nah. Amy's are done jokingly. Michelle's are 100% serious. Michelle wins - no one can compete with her. :pb_lol:

I got my dad to watch a few seasons of 19 Kids before it was cancelled with Joshgate 1.0. The first time he saw Michelle on screen, he noticed her crazy bug eyes. When Sierra was introduced in later episodes, the first he did was point at the screen and yell, "She's got the crazy eyes, too!"

On a side note: My parents refuse to watch anything with the Duggars because they find their beliefs to be disgusting. The minute my dad heard how a girl who has premarital sex is viewed as a chewed up piece of gum, he turned to me with horror in his eyes and asked, "Is this true?!" It's funny, because looking back on it, I also saw in his eyes how no matter how many men I choose to sleep or not sleep with, nothing could diminish my value to him. I couldn't have loved him any more in that moment.

Yikes, I can't snark on medical bills because they are a massive pain in the ass, but man, get on a payment plan with the hospital ASAP. And get medical insurance, it's spendy but worth it for times like this. It makes me think of people that are like "I don't need it, I'm always healthy."

We're one of those families that fall in the middle.  My oldest two have insurance through their dad because my ex is active duty. We applied for food stamps and Medicaid at the same time, they said we made too much for Medicaid but when I tried to apply on the Marketplace it said we didn't make enough and to contact our local DHS office to start Medicaid paperwork.  Arkansas was a pain in the ass that way! Hopefully our new state will be better and make a little more sense! (LOL its the government, I hold out very little hope)

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Yikes, I can't snark on medical bills because they are a massive pain in the ass, but man, get on a payment plan with the hospital ASAP. And get medical insurance, it's spendy but worth it for times like this. It makes me think of people that are like "I don't need it, I'm always healthy."

To be acceptable most places want the bill paid off in a year, that's $1,000 a week, I know I don't have that. I don't make that, honestly. 

I'm in the same situation I can't afford all the medical debts we have with insurance, I had a complicated pregnancy, my son was premature, had health issues, need weekly therapies, may be autistic, I had stroke protocols a few times before being diagnosed with hemiplegic migraines and have had thyroid issues and cysts, my husband had a heart attack and pericarditis and a serious heart condition. All this in a 2 year span-- it adds up and unfortunately my husband is on a different plan than me and my son. I just can't snark. 

Regarding medical bills from a car accident. Usually, any health insurance carrier will deny those bills pending subrigation.  Meaning, the first payor on the bill has to be the car insurance as the charges stem from a crash.  They would do the same thing if you are injured at work--workmen's comp must pay first.  It's coordination of benefits.  If there is a lawsuit involved they will also usually deny until lawsuit is settled. Years ago, I know that health insurance carriers would basically advise you to sue for more than medical bills, as if they had paid bills, they would go after you for reimbursemnt should you win the case.  Honestly, I am surpised that the hospital has gone to this level so quickly.  Coordination of benefits, especially due to car accidents, is a messy business and a bit time consuming.  Other drivers insurance, your own insurance, litigation regarding responsibility.....well, it all usually takes a while....

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Sad truth is, many cannot afford (even with Obamacare) health insurance and still be able to pay mortgage/buy food/have electricity.  If your employer is not offering insurance and you are making ends meet with a bit extra to maybe go to the movies and dinner once in a while you are not able to pay for insurance without something else not getting paid.  While very low income folks get it very low cost/free, and those with a higher income can either afford it or it is part of their benefits package at work, those blue collar folks in the middle class, those that buy a decent used car when their current ride dies...well, they are making too much for another bill not to put them over the edge.  If these folks could afford $600 or more a month for crappy insurance, they would already have it.  Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

We're one of those families that fall in the middle.  My oldest two have insurance through their dad because my ex is active duty. We applied for food stamps and Medicaid at the same time, they said we made too much for Medicaid but when I tried to apply on the Marketplace it said we didn't make enough and to contact our local DHS office to start Medicaid paperwork.  Arkansas was a pain in the ass that way! Hopefully our new state will be better and make a little more sense! (LOL its the government, I hold out very little hope)

It's the same all over. In NJ you get bumped off Medicaid if you get more than $4,000 worth of assets (like savings); and many people make too much to qualify for a subsidy for health coverage but can't afford the "marketplace."
It's the same with all social services in the US, where upward mobility is a myth. For example, I (senior age) fell on a very hard year and luckily was able to secure an apartment in public housing. Then I started to get a lot of (temp--no one hires people my age for permanent jobs with benefits) work, but was informed that if I worked I would lose my housing--way before I would have the chance to save enough for deposits, etc. for a market-rate apartment.

If I won the lottery or inherited a lot of money, however, no problem. It's just working that gets you in trouble.

I can't really fault Dill for this. Our health insurance system sucks, even with the ACA.

I'm really fortunate that my health insurance plan is sound and rational. Last time I went to the emergency room we only payed $200, although I didn't get treated for anything, so that might change the cost. It also covers birth control 100%, which I am SEVERELY thankful for since being informed by an FJ member that it is not free on all insurance plans.

This ^

Here on our giant island health insurance isn't compulsory and you can have so many different levels of health and / or extras cover. My parents are both disabled and have always promoted the importance of insurance. Thank god, because with bills and no insurance, they'd be broke. I also have top cover and suffer from chronic illness, so it's important to me to have it. However I have friends who think they're invincible and won't need it. They say they'll just get it when the government starts taxing them...some have already been taxed for some time and don't give enough of a hoot to get it despite the tax!

I live by the fact you need it, because you just never know what might happen!

On 4/14/2016 at 0:26 PM, Fundie Bunny said:

I have our 65/66 day NICU stay itemized bill. Things like CPAP for breathing were billed at $700 a day. "Room and board - level 3 NICU" was thousands per day. The little probe on your finger that tells your pulse and O2 saturation was $50 a day (someone told me you can buy your own for less than that!!). It is fucking crazy.

On 4/14/2016 at 3:46 PM, ClaraOswin said:

What would classify as a high deductible anyway?

We also have to pay 100% of charges until we reach our deductible. Then we pay 20% until we reach our out of pocket max. I honestly have no idea if what we're paying is considered a lot or not.

I feel like by $50,000 shouldn't he have reached some sort of out of pocket max?!

I will say from experience that out of pocket max is a recent ACA thing! We certainly had no such thing in 2011 for our NICU stay and ended up royally screwed through various loopholes.

Some large group insurance policies have had out of pocket maximums for decades.  There was not much standard about health insurance until ACA. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived