IGNORED

If TLC did real pop up facts

Mothership

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Cloth diapers= WORK

From what we have seen, most people named Duggar are deathly allergic to work.

I was about to reply that they just aren't that much work. The diaper laundry is super easy, and it means no sending people to the store for diapers or taking out extra trash.  Then I remembered that they can't be bothered to use real dishes, because, you know, loading the dishwasher = too hard. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I was about to reply that they just aren't that much work. The diaper laundry is super easy, and it means no sending people to the store for diapers or taking out extra trash.  Then I remembered that they can't be bothered to use real dishes, because, you know, loading the dishwasher = too hard. 

Remember the time they called the film crew to swing by and p/u some diapers on their way out to the Duggars?

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

Remember the time they called the film crew to swing by and p/u some diapers on their way out to the Duggars?

Yes, I do! it was during an ice storm or something too.  I CD'd my first from 6 months to potty trained, and plan on cloth diapering from the start with babe #2. I've never had to send someone out for diapers. Ever.   I still can't believe the film crew did that. Dude, they aren't  your servants or employees.

I cloth diaper too, and don't find them any more work that disposables. However, it is an extra load of laundry every two or three days. Maybe they are hauling stuff to the laundry mat and don't want to pay for an extra load (or go more often?)

If I didn't have a washer & dryer in my house, I wouldn't use cloth diapers because it's one more thing to do (but then I also have a job, as does my husband. We aren't on vacation, spending day after day learning Spanish and handing out leaflets.)

5 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I got confused for a minute and thought this was the Naugler thread and was thinking - take out the trash?  Who needs to take out the trash when you can just huck the dirty diapers over your shoulder in the general direction of the non existent fourth wall?  

Just now, scribble said:

I cloth diaper too, and don't find them any more work that disposables. However, it is an extra load of laundry every two or three days. Maybe they are hauling stuff to the laundry mat and don't want to pay for an extra load (or go more often?)

If I didn't have a washer & dryer in my house, I wouldn't use cloth diapers because it's one more thing to do (but then I also have a job, as does my husband. We aren't on vacation, with our main occupations learning Spanish and handing out leaflets.)

It's probably a lot harder for Jill outside the country.  But i'm thinking Michelle early on. She says in  her book she did have machines, and was already doing 6-7 loads a day. What's an extra load every few days, really?

My daughter lives in So America and cloth diapered her daughter- She works and does not have a dryer.

Now, she did get lucky in that her daughter self trained at 18 mos.

Just now, SassyPants said:

My daughter lives in So America and cloth diapered her daughter- She works and does not have a dryer.

Now, she did get lucky in that her daughter self trained at 18 mos.

it's technically better to line dry the diapers anyway. I do when I'm really good, but it just doesn't always happen. Especially in the winter.  I'm sure Jill could do it. i've seen iz in rumparooz in his newborn pics, and she's apparently still using the covers where ever she is.  just over disposables. For some reason....

There does seem to be a trend for babes to train early when using cloth. Mine was potty trained before two.

53 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

It's probably a lot harder for Jill outside the country.  But i'm thinking Michelle early on. She says in  her book she did have machines, and was already doing 6-7 loads a day. What's an extra load every few days, really?

How the hell was she doing that many loads of laundry in one day? Did she not fill up the washer all the way every load? Did they have a tiny washer? Did they toss laundry into the hamper after every wear?

5 minutes ago, JaChelle Sugar said:

How the hell was she doing that many loads of laundry in one day? Did she not fill up the washer all the way every load? Did they have a tiny washer? Did they toss laundry into the hamper after every wear?

This was Michelle, when she had 6-10 kids in the house, many of them under 5, twin toddlers, and two adults. The laundry adds up fast.  Kids generate a ton of laundry, somehow.  I only have one kid and manage to do about 1+ a day, all told.

Agreed.  It seems a bit excessive.  That adds up to 1/2 to 1 load per person, per day!  We are a family of four, and I do about four loads a week here. I can't imagine doing 2-4 loads a day for us, which would be the equivalent for my family.  Perhaps they're showering each day and not reusing their towels?  Or washing sheets every day if one off the younger children has an overnight accident?  Perhaps they're washing their PJs each morning?  I get that laundry adds up quickly, especially with young children, but there are many things that don't need to be washed each day!

18 minutes ago, curlykate said:

Perhaps they're washing their PJs each morning? 

Have we ever even seen them wear PJ's? They always seem to be sleeping in what ever they've been wearing during the day.

3 hours ago, curlykate said:

Agreed.  It seems a bit excessive.  That adds up to 1/2 to 1 load per person, per day!  We are a family of four, and I do about four loads a week here. I can't imagine doing 2-4 loads a day for us, which would be the equivalent for my family.  Perhaps they're showering each day and not reusing their towels?  Or washing sheets every day if one off the younger children has an overnight accident?  Perhaps they're washing their PJs each morning?  I get that laundry adds up quickly, especially with young children, but there are many things that don't need to be washed each day!

Really? I do about 7-12 loads a week, depending on season. Between workout clothes, preschool accidents/bed wetting, and using cloth for everything, it adds up fast.  We tend to have more during the cold season (which is from October to the end of May) because everyone dresses in so many layers.  I don't remember the exact number of kids michelle had when she was doing that much laundry, just that none were old enough to help at all, and many were potty training and having night time accidents. 

On 18/01/2016 at 5:22 AM, rhianna said:

WRT arithmetic, I don't actually get how memorizing is any different from understanding. 7*8 is 56 because 7 groups of 8 is 56. Are there people who actually just memorize "7*8=56" without having any idea what the "7", "*", "8", "=" and "56" stand for, as if they are a series of hieroglyphics? Surely not. 

I went to school with someone who at age 9 was still learning their 0 and 1 times tables. They had very very little mathematical understanding. they knew 0x5=0 because they had memorized it. Ask what 0x51 was and they could not answer because they didn't understand that multiplication means x groups of y. Understanding is very important, and doesn't come easily to everyon!

To people concerned about the methods learnt at young ages this might be a good read. It's about how one method for area gets slightly converted to be usable for algebra too https://medium.com/i-math/how-common-core-can-prepare-students-518c2fb72e3#.upf93rs4j

When I was in 2nd grade, they tried to teach me my multiplication tables. And I flat out refused to learn them. I didn't know what they were, and the way my mind works is that I can't learn something unless I really understand it and see that it's useful. Multiplication didn't seem useful, so I wouldn't and couldn't learn it.

Fortunately I had a good teacher, who sat down and explained to me exactly what multiplication is.

I still don't have my times tables memorized, but I understand the concept and can work it out if I need to. And really, in real life, that's what matters most.

I just remembered the movie, Hope and Glory. The school children were in the shelter wearing gas masks and reciting the 9 times table. Guess it took their minds off what was happening. (Took place in WWII, before common core.)

9 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

Really? I do about 7-12 loads a week, depending on season. Between workout clothes, preschool accidents/bed wetting, and using cloth for everything, it adds up fast.  <snip>

But, the Duggars don't use cloth for everything.   They certainly don't have kitchen dishtowels.  They seem to wear the same jean skirts every day--they don't need to be washed and the mustard sweater just gets passed along, I doubt its washed between each wearing.   I really can't figure out what they're washing every day.   Babies and toddlers create more laundry, but their clothes are also smaller, so more to each load.  We've seen how the Howlers all sleep on a bed (not in a bed), so I doubt they're doing a lot of linens.  No workout clothes for the Duggars-NIKE!

I had four kids and did cloth diapers (a load of diapers every night just to keep the odor at bay), but I certainly never averaged 1/2-1 load of laundry a day per person.   Now that its just the two of us, I do about 3 load a week (that includes doing a load of sheets and towels weekly).

On January 20, 2016 at 9:13 PM, quiverofdoubt said:

it's technically better to line dry the diapers anyway. I do when I'm really good, but it just doesn't always happen. Especially in the winter.  I'm sure Jill could do it. i've seen iz in rumparooz in his newborn pics, and she's apparently still using the covers where ever she is.  just over disposables. For some reason....

There does seem to be a trend for babes to train early when using cloth. Mine was potty trained before two.

Interesting that you say about cloth tends to mean babies train early. I was just about 17-18 months when my parents started potty training me, and I apparently never had an accident, even at night. My mom was pregnant with my sister, there was a war going on and no money, so she used cloth diapers and I grasped the concept of using the kid potty fairly quickly. All my parents had to do was put a little flower in the toilet and told me to pee on it, bam, it worked.

As an "extreme" couponer now, I plan on getting diapers for my future children for free or cheap, but I've always thought of using cloth diapers. I guess I'll see when that day comes. The Duggars are too lazy for any kind of work; also, they don't care one bit about their waste.

TLC pop up fact "the Duggar's do not believe in global warming, and believe that overpopulation is a myth"  

Other fun pop ups.. "Jim Bob's hairspray consumption has is responsible for 1/1,000 of the ozone layer depletion." 

Or.."The total cost of pregnancy tests used by the Duggar family since Josh was born is equal to the yearly gross national product of three small African nations."

And of course..."The Duggar daughters' hair would reach halfway to Tokyo if laid end to end."

(Sorry, tired and feeling goofy :)

On 12/28/2015 at 0:58 PM, ShepherdontheRock said:

I mean, not being able to pass the GED? She should have by now. There are probably 13-14 year olds out there that could pass it ffs.

Not anymore, from what I've read. The GED test was lately realigned to correlate to common core. From the articles I've read, the pass rate is one tenth of what it used to be under the old GED. I believe it. One of our adult kids is taking a GED class online -- we tried to help her with some of the grammar stuff. I have a college degree, my spouse has a graduate degree: we both had a lot of trouble with the GED material. After seeing that, I'm not surprised that pass rates are now so low. They're setting kids up for failure, and it doesn't seem to me as if the material is all that applicable to Real Life.

Ever since I switched to cloth pads (and the Divacup - yay reusables!), I cannot imagine using disposable diapers on any future children I may have. My vagina so much prefers the soft and sturdy fabric to the perfume-laden plastic that used to bunch up within a few steps (and the wings on those disposables always ended up sticking to my labia rather than my underwear, which would then inevitably get stained grrr! - with cloth, snaps keep them in place). I can't imagine that sensitive baby skin wouldn't share my preference for soft flannel over plastic. Living near/with a w/d is essential for cloth diapers, yes, but that's already something I prioritize.

Are cloth diapers even sanitary? Call me a germophobe but I wouldn't want to wash my clothes in a washing machine that had been filled with poopy diapers.:pb_eek:

On 1/20/2016 at 2:26 PM, OnceUponATime said:

I went to school with someone who at age 9 was still learning their 0 and 1 times tables. They had very very little mathematical understanding. they knew 0x5=0 because they had memorized it. Ask what 0x51 was and they could not answer because they didn't understand that multiplication means x groups of y. Understanding is very important, and doesn't come easily to everyon!

To people concerned about the methods learnt at young ages this might be a good read. It's about how one method for area gets slightly converted to be usable for algebra too https://medium.com/i-math/how-common-core-can-prepare-students-518c2fb72e3#.upf93rs4j

Thanks for this link, it really explains the reasoning behind Common Core well. I saved it for future reference!!

(And because I am a math nerd:pb_glasses:)

Archived