IGNORED

If TLC did real pop up facts

Mothership

20 years ago now (that's depressing) but I never learned my times tables. I can work it out, obviously, I just never learned them by rote. Although I suck at maths so...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the simple explanation for Jessa not bothering to take the GED exam is that she just plain didn't want to. I think J'Celle's original plan was to have all the children end up with a GED as a minimum credential, but as with all things she got lazy. By the time Jessa was due to take the exam no one bothered to encourage her to take. And really to what end? She has no motivation to study anything, and an actual paying job? Never! So really what would be the point? What would the GED actually do for her? Why bother to study hard and apply yourself? Now she'll just be an ill educated mom passing down her lack of knowledge to her unfortunate children as God intended. 

And as for a "real" Duggar fact how about "Michelle spends less than 10 mins a week her child and about 10 hours a week looking in the mirror" #themoreyouknow 

On January 12, 2016 at 10:02 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new education trend not to require that kids learn the times table?

Yup, I'm 21 and I never learned them, but I also didn't receive a very good solid education in the math department so I'm not quite sure what the standards are.

6 minutes ago, Pupalup said:

Yup, I'm 21 and I never learned them, but I also didn't receive a very good solid education in the math department so I'm not quite sure what the standards are.

My nieces are almost 7, and they are learning them.  They are not memorizing them the same way I did though, they are being taught how to figure them out.  

49 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

My nieces are almost 7, and they are learning them.  They are not memorizing them the same way I did them, they are being taught how to figure them out.  

My grandson learned that way. 7x8 = 7 rows of 8 or 8 rows of 7 or 14 rows of 4 or 28 rows of 2. I showed him that it was easier (IMHO) to memorize 7x8=56

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, EmCatlyn said:

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, EmCatlyn said:

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new education trend not to require that kids learn the times table?

They are trying something called "core math" which is the most ridiculous thing I have witnessed. My granddaughter is in the second grade and to do addition they make stacks of tens (circles or x's) and then add on anything extra. We have started working with her on "regular" addition and subtraction such as the carrying over of numbers and we plan to get her flashcards for multiplication. It gives me a fear we will have a generation of children who can not do simple math with out using their fingers, phone or a calculator. It is very scary. Florida is trying to pass a law that does away with core math and I think that is the best direction. They seem to be trying to get away from any memorization of anything which I find to be ridiculous. How will the children learn to expand their minds and remember anything?

It would be a lot more interesting with real facts!

On the subject of timestables, I definitely learnt them off by heart (I'm 25), but I also learnt what they meant and how to manipulate them, like BadWolf's grandson. I didn't grow up in the US though and we did all our maths in our heads for the first three years and then were only sometimes allowed to write sums etc under eachother on a piece of paper. Up until 6th grade we mostly did it in our heads (actually called head arithmetic). We were really taught how to manipulate numbers to make it easy to do without writing it down. 

Sorry, I love maths!

7 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

They are trying something called "core math" which is the most ridiculous thing I have witnessed. My granddaughter is in the second grade and to do addition they make stacks of tens (circles or x's) and then add on anything extra. We have started working with her on "regular" addition and subtraction such as the carrying over of numbers and we plan to get her flashcards for multiplication. It gives me a fear we will have a generation of children who can not do simple math with out using their fingers, phone or a calculator. It is very scary. Florida is trying to pass a law that does away with core math and I think that is the best direction. They seem to be trying to get away from any memorization of anything which I find to be ridiculous. How will the children learn to expand their minds and remember anything?

I don't know, I question the value of memorization.  My headship went to a school that was mostly memorization of things, while mine was focused more on understanding why things were that way.  Now he will often not remember the facts he memorized but when I explain why the facts are what they are he starts to remember.  I had read studies before which supported this idea, that memorization ultimately ends up being short term, but I don't remember where this was.  IF it is possible to get young kids to really understand why math is the way it is I can't help but think it will make them better able to remember it, and better able to move onto advanced math.  

14 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

I don't know, I question the value of memorization.  My headship went to a school that was mostly memorization of things, while mine was focused more on understanding why things were that way.  Now he will often not remember the facts he memorized but when I explain why the facts are what they are he starts to remember.  I had read studies before which supported this idea, that memorization ultimately ends up being short term, but I don't remember where this was.  IF it is possible to get young kids to really understand why math is the way it is I can't help but think it will make them better able to remember it, and better able to move onto advanced math.  

Yes, I've definitely heard this before too.

Also the 'core math' described, just sounds like math to me. Carrying across is in my head still the cheat way to do maths for which you need paper and pen, properly doing math (though really we're talking about arithmetic here) is worked out in your head, without having memorised a bunch of things. Though you do memorise lots of it, simply by doing it so much.

2 minutes ago, medimus said:

Yes, I've definitely heard this before too.

Also the 'core math' described, just sounds like math to me. Carrying across is in my head still the cheat way to do maths for which you need paper and pen, properly doing math (though really we're talking about arithmetic here) is worked out in your head, without having memorised a bunch of things. Though you do memorise lots of it, simply by doing it so much.

Yes, exactly, and my nieces do seem to be memorizing it as they repeat it anyway.  But memorization is not the goal.

Gosh, I'd love to see this for all of the shows. "The curriculum follows by the Duggars is actually total baloney..."

5 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

Rote memorization is not the same as learning. However, it has its uses-- for example with phone numbers and computer passwords.

In education, memorization without understanding is useless, but there is also something to be said for developing the skill of memorization as a shortcut.  

My ex-husband won all sorts of math prizes in highschool and college, but never memorized times-tables.  He just understood the concept so well that he didn't need to memorize. Teachers didn't notice he hadn't memorized because he got the right answers.  But not all of us are mathematically gifted, so to get kids to both understand and remember may take longer.

6 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I hope I can address this issue without sounding too stabby, but here goes...I have been a math tutor for 20 years and have a degree in math. I work with elementary students currently and I like common core. 

The objective of common core is not to get rid of memorizing math facts, learning how to carry, borrow, etc. It is to bring an understanding of how numbers work. If all you know is to carry when adding larger numbers, but do not understand why we do that you are limiting your abilities, especially when it comes to mental math.  Students do learn facts, carrying, borrowing, etc. but there are other ways to perform these operations and it is good to learn a variety of methods.

In short, many adults do not understand or like common core because it seems so foreign to them, but that is because for so long, math has been taught in a rote manner. It was only when you got to higher math that understanding was addressed. I do think that the implementation of common core was not done well, but the goals and concepts are good.

On 28/12/2015 at 10:12 PM, CorruptionInc. said:

Or "Michelle Duggar won a mother of the year award in *insert year* but we're not sure why, as she doesn't do any actual parenting."

It should also include who awarded it to her.

momoftheyear-800x430.jpg

Kids need to do both: memorize times tables and understand WHY. Understanding the concept of multiplication is the most important, but not knowing 3X5=15 off the top of your head will slow you down once you get to upper levels.

1 hour ago, Heathen525 said:

Kids need to do both: memorize times tables and understand WHY. Understanding the concept of multiplication is the most important, but not knowing 3X5=15 off the top of your head will slow you down once you get to upper levels.

Yes, this is so true! I have found that when I am helping a student that is having a trouble with a math concept (especially once they get to algebra) that if I can show them WHY something works the way it does, they are able to remember it so much better. 

I learned my math in grade school...we didn't have that "middle" school thing yet.. as of today's posting year wise I am 7x8+4-2..thank you good ol' fashion edumacation! On a side note why is there such a thing as "middle" schools? When I was a kid it was K-8, high school, then college..never understood the reason to make another offshoot aka "middle school"...and I can't believe I said middle school that many times in one post :my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, paulypepper said:

I learned my math in grade school...we didn't have that "middle" school thing yet.. as of today's posting year wise I am 7x8+4-2..thank you good ol' fashion edumacation! On a side note why is there such a thing as "middle" schools? When I was a kid it was K-8, high school, then college..never understood the reason to make another offshoot aka "middle school"...and I can't believe I said middle school that many times in one post :my_biggrin:

Maybe you were in a small school district, because I am 7 x 8 -2 and my parents both taught in middle schools from the time that I can remember.

Part of the reasoning behind common core was to set up some basic guidelines of what all students should learn in english and math, because what is taught can vary so widely depending on school.

3 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Middle schools are generally due to the lower schools becoming too large for the buildings.  They are also valuable in slowly removing recess and providing additional freedoms to students without all the freedoms of high school  

4 hours ago, paulypepper said:

I'm  7x7 and moved a lot as a kid.  The different grade /building configurations were:

K-8, 9-12

K-6, 7-8, 9-12

K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12

K-6, 7-9, 10-12

K--5, 6-7, 8-12

Many of those configurations were due to building size. I lived in large cities, midsized  cities and small towns. I think my math education was pretty consistent since there is a somewhat clear progression of skills but my history is a little lacking. I covered early American history 4 different times in the 5 districts I attended but my European and world history is weak.

22 hours ago, KSmom said:

I hope I can address this issue without sounding too stabby, but here goes...I have been a math tutor for 20 years and have a degree in math. I work with elementary students currently and I like common core. 

The objective of common core is not to get rid of memorizing math facts, learning how to carry, borrow, etc. It is to bring an understanding of how numbers work. If all you know is to carry when adding larger numbers, but do not understand why we do that you are limiting your abilities, especially when it comes to mental math.  Students do learn facts, carrying, borrowing, etc. but there are other ways to perform these operations and it is good to learn a variety of methods.

In short, many adults do not understand or like common core because it seems so foreign to them, but that is because for so long, math has been taught in a rote manner. It was only when you got to higher math that understanding was addressed. I do think that the implementation of common core was not done well, but the goals and concepts are good.

Thank you for this.  I have seen so much bashing of Common Core and my gut feeling has always been that I liked it.   Common Core Math is how I do math in my head.   It is about understanding how math works and not memorizing tables.  I'm going to save your comments.

On another note:  Are you a fellow Kansan?

30 minutes ago, Mothership said:

Thank you for this.  I have seen so much bashing of Common Core and my gut feeling has always been that I liked it.   Common Core Math is how I do math in my head.   It is about understanding how math works and not memorizing tables.  I'm going to save your comments.

On another note:  Are you a fellow Kansan?

Yes, I am!

Back in the day, a lot of places had "junior high"(grades 7-9), but that has mostly been supplanted by middle school(grades 6-8).  The suburban Syracuse district I attended in the 70s actually had a separate school just for ninth grade, but closed before I got there(and I ended up moving to a town than still had a junior high).

In primary school I had a poster of the times tables on the back of the toilet door.  In high school it was the periodic table.  The girl's did check the toilet door on occasion when doing their homework.  I figure they needed something to look at while they were in there.

Archived