IGNORED

If TLC did real pop up facts

Mothership

32 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Do we know for a fact that all the other kidults have a GED?   I thought on an earlier thread there were questions that anyone other than the oldest boys, Jill and Jana had taken/passed the GED.

Police reports say that Jana, who was the interviewed non-victim girl, was studying for her GEDs. I believe that it was a question of who was the non-victim because both of the oldest girls had their GEDs. I'm not sure about the boys. 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all just being silly. The only reason a homeschooler would need (want?) a GED is to prove to prospective employers that they had an education equivalent to their peers who attended a traditional high school.

Like JimBob or would ever ask for that.

2 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Police reports say that Jana, who was the interviewed non-victim girl, was studying for her GEDs. I believe that it was a question of who was the non-victim because both of the oldest girls had their GEDs. I'm not sure about the boys. 

I had understood that Josh, Jana and JD, Jill and Joseph had GEDs.  My question was about the others who are over 18.

I believe a GED is necessary for admission to college and various training programs, not just for jobs.

13 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I had understood that Josh, Jana and JD, Jill and Joseph had GEDs.  My question was about the others who are over 18.

I believe a GED is necessary for admission to college and various training programs, not just for jobs.

A GED isn't necessary for college or training programs so long as you have a diploma. And, a homeschooling parent is able to provide said diploma without any extra hoops. A homeschool diploma is just as "valuable" to a school or employer as a public or private school diploma. 

1 hour ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

A GED isn't necessary for college or training programs so long as you have a diploma. And, a homeschooling parent is able to provide said diploma without any extra hoops. A homeschool diploma is just as "valuable" to a school or employer as a public or private school diploma. 

This is news to me.  Perhaps it depends on the college or employer.   I know that for some things the fact that a diploma is from a "private school" without accreditation means that it is not taken seriously, so I assume the same is true of a homeschooling diploma.

I suppose, now that I think of it, that someplace like Crown College may Be happy to accept a homeschool diploma.  But every placeI have attended or taught at required a highschool transcript or a GED.

The GED is no big deal, but it is at least proof that the bare minimum of academic material has been covered.  I shudder to think what an ATI homeschooling diploma represents.  

:shaking head:

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

This is news to me.  Perhaps it depends on the college or employer.   I know that for some things the fact that a diploma is from a "private school" without accreditation means that it is not taken seriously, so I assume the same is true of a homeschooling diploma.

I suppose, now that I think of it, that someplace like Crown College may Be happy to accept a homeschool diploma.  But every placeI have attended or taught at required a highschool transcript or a GED.

The GED is no big deal, but it is at least proof that the bare minimum of academic material has been covered.  I shudder to think what an ATI homeschooling diploma represents.  

:shaking head:

A high school transcript is not the same as a diploma. And a homeschool parent can supply a transcript to the college just as they can to the state. A transcript just states what you've studied and how well you've mastered it. And, many homeschoolers also supply things like portfolios IF the school asks for it. That said, many schools, including Ivy Leage schools, are placing a preference on homeschoolers compared to those in traditional schools these days. A GED would almost detract from that advantage 

JMO but I'd never take a home school diploma or a transcript given by a parent  for the same value as GED. Parents are an interested party by definition so the impartiality of their evaluation may be questioned and they may or may not have a great frame of reference for what constitutes an excellent, good or appropriate level of mastery of the knowledge.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

JMO but I'd never take a home school diploma or a transcript given by a parent  for the same value as GED. Parents are an interested party by definition so the impartiality of their evaluation may be questioned and they may or may not have a great frame of reference for what constitutes an excellent, good or appropriate level of mastery of the knowledge.

I agree. I don't think my employer (government*) would just take a home school diploma for hiring. 

*not that most fundies want evil  government jobs.

I went the community college to university route. Partly for cost, and partly because I went to school in England a hundred years earlier. Presenting O and A level certificates wouldn't have made a lot of sense. The cc gave me a placement test so I wouldn't have to take non transferable credits.

Any Duggar kid could go the same way, and have an accredited degree at the end of it.

LOL- I have a feeling most of the Duggars would have a hard time testing, writing, computing or otherwise proving some form of basic proficiency in education, computation and literacy

8 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

A high school transcript is not the same as a diploma. And a homeschool parent can supply a transcript to the college just as they can to the state. A transcript just states what you've studied and how well you've mastered it. And, many homeschoolers also supply things like portfolios IF the school asks for it. That said, many schools, including Ivy Leage schools, are placing a preference on homeschoolers compared to those in traditional schools these days. A GED would almost detract from that advantage 

Where are you getting this statement from?  I've never seen that written or said anywhere. 

From what I've seen on the show all the kids above 18 have a GED.  JB and M addressed it at some point and the party they threw for Josiah a year or so ago was because he graduated and had his GED. The only one I'm not sure about is Joy Anna. 

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/homeschooling-milestones/

^^^^Michelle in 2012 discussing why she has all the kids take the GED ^^^^

20 hours ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

I mean, I know a lot of homeschooled kids who've done as well as or better than me in college. But they were probably homeschooled using legitimate curriculum. And obviously could get decent scores on the SAT.

I mean, not being able to pass the GED? She should have by now. There are probably 13-14 year olds out there that could pass it ffs.

maybe she just didn't take it. She hasn't ever come across with much drive to do anything, really... what were her interests before getting married?? (Jill - midwifery, Jinger - photography, etc)

21 minutes ago, JMO said:

Where are you getting this statement from?  I've never seen that written or said anywhere. 

I am sure that DuggarsTheEndIsNear will have a much better answer to this, but I know there is at least some truth to the statement that at least some schools do give a slight preference to homeschoolers.  A notable example is Stanford.  I don't know exactly how they are doing things now, but 10 to 15 years ago (roughly), Stanford had a policy of flagging each homeschool application to ensure they were carefully considered.  That may well still be the exception rather than the norm, but I know from teaching for Kaplan in Utah that the GED is not really something that homeschoolers looking at top tier schools would really even consider taking.  If anything, in my experience homeschoolers would be more likely to take AP exams and/or SAT subject tests if they wanted to prove proficiency in various subject areas.  I have been out of the whole game for almost 10 years, but that is my humble take on it.

ETA - obviously homeschoolers vary widely.  I don't think that Stanford would be spending hours trying to determine the exact qualifications of someone educated in the TTH.  Of course, I don't think anyone educated in the TTH is aspiring (or maybe allowed to aspire) to attending Stanford.

8 minutes ago, Whoosh said:

I am sure that DuggarsTheEndIsNear will have a much better answer to this, but I know there is at least some truth to the statement that at least some schools do give a slight preference to homeschoolers.  A notable example is Stanford.  I don't know exactly how they are doing things now, but 10 to 15 years ago (roughly), Stanford had a policy of flagging each homeschool application to ensure they were carefully considered.  That may well still be the exception rather than the norm, but I know from teaching for Kaplan in Utah that the GED is not really something that homeschoolers looking at top tier schools would really even consider taking.  If anything, in my experience homeschoolers would be more likely to take AP exams and/or SAT subject tests if they wanted to prove proficiency in various subject areas.  I have been out of the whole game for almost 10 years, but that is my humble take on it.

ETA - obviously homeschoolers vary widely.  I don't think that Stanford would be spending hours trying to determine the exact qualifications of someone educated in the TTH.  Of course, I don't think anyone educated in the TTH is aspiring (or maybe allowed to aspire) to attending Stanford.

Does this really show a preference or just that they must be more carefully considered because it is a non standard application?  I know many schools that are test optional are not for home school kids (they must have SATs or ACTs).

27 minutes ago, JMO said:

From what I've seen on the show all the kids above 18 have a GED.  JB and M addressed it at some point and the party they threw for Josiah a year or so ago was because he graduated and had his GED. The only one I'm not sure about is Joy Anna. 

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/michelle-duggars-blog/homeschooling-milestones/

^^^^Michelle in 2012 discussing why she has all the kids take the GED ^^^^

Thanks for the link. I'm just wondering how you could tell it's from 2012, because I didn't see a date anywhere? 

Just now, halcionne said:

Thanks for the link. I'm just wondering how you could tell it's from 2012, because I didn't see a date anywhere? 

You're right, I was previously looking at the Ellie/Lily Blog and their answers were from 2012. 

7 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Does this really show a preference or just that they must be more carefully considered because it is a non standard application?  I know many schools that are test optional are not for home school kids (they must have SATs or ACTs).

In my experience, I would say first that any more careful consideration tends to translate into a slight leg up in the process.  I do think it goes beyond that, though.  At least for top tier schools, they are looking for a diverse and interesting student body (as that adds greatly to the educational environment and experience).  When comparing candidates, grades are only marginally helpful as schools vary so widely in their grading policies.  I am struggling to think exactly how to answer your question, but I would say that often, if a admissions officer were examining the applications from a homeschooler and a traditional schooler with the same SATs, equivalent extracurriculars, etc. and both educational records indicated that the schooling was comprehensive and effective, I think many would give preference to the homeschooler.

3 minutes ago, JMO said:

Google lists the link as April 11, 2014

That's even more interesting, because if Michelle really said that in 2014 (and was telling the truth), we could be confident that the kids were achieving a standard level of education relatively recently. It's too bad the Duggars recycle old posts (and also lie), which makes me skeptical about her statement.

To be clear, I'm not doubting or questioning you, JMO, I'm just splitting hairs over Duggar minutiae, as usual. :pb_lol:

7 minutes ago, halcionne said:

That's even more interesting, because if Michelle really said that in 2014 (and was telling the truth), we could be confident that the kids were achieving a standard level of education relatively recently. It's too bad the Duggars recycle old posts (and also lie), which makes me skeptical about her statement.

To be clear, I'm not doubting or questioning you, JMO, I'm just splitting hairs over Duggar minutiae, as usual. :pb_lol:

I have to admit I am skeptical that the kids are still able to do the state tests every year.  It's one thing to get a teen that's been indoctrinated to sit quietly and do what mom tells them study for an exam that has lots of prep materials on the market, it's another to get 6 kids to take yearly state tests when they've been bussing around the country. 

Well, I'd be hughly embarresed if my life was a TLC show and they'd have pop up facts about my time and money spending. It is probably close to average, but very far from what I'd like other people to think it is. Recently FJ has been building a fortress in my heart and I would rather hide that too! 

3 hours ago, karen77 said:

maybe she just didn't take it. She hasn't ever come across with much drive to do anything, really... what were her interests before getting married?? (Jill - midwifery, Jinger - photography, etc)

Lol. Nothing.

On 12/28/2015 at 10:30 AM, Mothership said:

"The Duggars use X# of paper plates at each meal, thats eleventy paper plates each year in the Tontitown landfill;  we don't even want to do the math for disposable diapers"

My Duggar pet peeves. Why was a commercial dishwasher even installed in the TTH?

25 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

Well, I'd be hughly embarresed if my life was a TLC show and they'd have pop up facts about my time and money spending. 

LOL - this is so, so true for me as well.  In fact, this is one of many reasons why I don't try to make a living and provide for roughly 30 people by starring in a "reality" TV show where I hold myself out as some kind of ideal person who aims to be a role model to all.  I also strongly suspect that if I DID try to do that, TLC would not leap on board.

Archived