IGNORED

If TLC did real pop up facts

Mothership

The US military no longer accepts a GED if you wish to enlist. It must be a high school diploma or that is my understanding. I am really not sure of the reasoning behind it.

I was under the impression Jessa just had not taken the GED. I could be wrong. I am not sure how much weight I would put into a Duggar home school graduation or diploma. They just do not seem to have the abilities to back up any basic lessons.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For quite a few real (read: not a diploma mill) universities and colleges, you don't need a GED if you're an adult who has been out of school for several years. They have "transitional year programs" that help bring the students up to speed. A 19 year old who doesn't have any Grade 11 credits would qualify, so one of the Duggar kidults certainly would.

I don't know if I'm right, because I'm not a mum but I am thinking that cloth diapers would be more economical in terms of cost if JB really is that tight. On the other hand I can imagine the reason they don't cloth diaper is time although I'm sure giving a few more chores to her children wouldn't upset mullet that much.

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

LOL- I have a feeling most of the Duggars would have a hard time testing, writing, computing or otherwise proving some form of basic proficiency in education, computation and literacy

I have major concerns about the quality of the Gothard homeschool program.  The one ray of hope for the Duggar kids is that JD was able to get his private pilots license.  Where I live, there is quite a bit of math on the road to getting a pilots license.  Maybe it's different in other states, but the Rockford scanner did say JD landed the plane really well in heavy winds.  

Cloth diapers are a lot cheaper than disposables even if you use the fancy prefitted diapers and diaper covers instead of flat diapers and old-fashioned plastic pants.  Do they even make flat diapers anymore?  Flat diapers make excellent dust cloths.

16 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

A high school transcript is not the same as a diploma. And a homeschool parent can supply a transcript to the college just as they can to the state. A transcript just states what you've studied and how well you've mastered it. And, many homeschoolers also supply things like portfolios IF the school asks for it. That said, many schools, including Ivy Leage schools, are placing a preference on homeschoolers compared to those in traditional schools these days. A GED would almost detract from that advantage 

I got curious about this so I called the admissions office at the state university where I teach and I was told that they do NOT prefer homeschoolers and that a GED is preferred to a homeschooling transcript/diploma unless the student homeschooled through an accredited homeschooling program that provides results of standard testing.  They say we also admit some highly qualified homeschoolers who have come up through a dual enrollment program at one of the state community colleges.

I also e-mailed a friend who is an associate dean at a top university (not quite Ivy League, but close) and asked what she knew about an alleged preference for homeschoolers in college admissions.  She said that the preference at her school (and she thinks others, including Ivy League) is for students who have done interesting or unusual things as part of their highschool experience and that homeschoolers may sometimes have more opportunities to do interesting things (internships, travel projects, writing Zines or blogs, unusual research, etc.) but that the students coming from conventional schools are more likely to have been part of big educational projects so it balanced out.   Her school admits only homeschoolers with higher than average SAT scores and wants at least 20 "units of study" at least 16 of which must have been earned through an accredited program. So neither the GED alone nor a parent-generated "transcript" alone would be accepted.

All this is interesting, but only relevant to our discussion insofar as it seems to suggest that while a homeschooler working within an accredited program and/or taking accredited distance learning courses or dual enrollment classes with a community college might do fine without a GED, a homeschooler who is not following an accredited program with some sort of standards and objective testing would be better off with a GED.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the ATI curriculum isn't accredited.  So we are back to the question of Jessa's education or lack thereof.  Without a GED or a diploma/transcript from something other than mom-and-dad, she doesn't have much to show for completing a highschool education.

9 hours ago, halcionne said:

That's even more interesting, because if Michelle really said that in 2014 (and was telling the truth), we could be confident that the kids were achieving a standard level of education relatively recently. It's too bad the Duggars recycle old posts (and also lie), which makes me skeptical about her statement.

To be clear, I'm not doubting or questioning you, JMO, I'm just splitting hairs over Duggar minutiae, as usual. :pb_lol:

I wonder about the bolded also. Arkansas used to require standard testing from homeschoolers but now it doesn't.  Michelle says that the GED is not required, so I wonder if she meant the standardized tests were.  That would date the information to a few years back.

That being said, I am glad that at least some of the kids have had standard testing.

Where did the statement that Jessa didn't have a GED come from?  Is Michelle lying?

When I applied for jobs here right out of school, I just had to check boxes for my level of education. Nobody ever checked. So a Duggar kidult could say they'd graduated from high school without lying.

2 hours ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I don't know if I'm right, because I'm not a mum but I am thinking that cloth diapers would be more economical in terms of cost if JB really is that tight. On the other hand I can imagine the reason they don't cloth diaper is time although I'm sure giving a few more chores to her children wouldn't upset mullet that much.

They did not cloth diaper, much like many other things they did not do, because they are lazy.

TIME? They had 2 unemployed parents for many, many years. Didn't JB only show up in the AR HoR to vote on abortion related issues? Time is not something the Duggars lacked.

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

When I applied for jobs here right out of school, I just had to check boxes for my level of education. Nobody ever checked. So a Duggar kidult could say they'd graduated from high school without lying.

You were lucky, although being a FJer, I'm also assuming you were honest.  My first day on a job, I had to fire someone else at the company because HR was doing checks of applications (don't know what prompted it)  and determined that she had lied about graduating college. [She had attended, but never matriculated].  

I was only checking HS graduate, and with my English accent, people assumed I was educated and intelligent.

ETA :laughing-lettersrofl:

They are raised on bible-speak and Christianese.   Every one of them sounds like each other. There is no independent thought, processing or absorbing.  Some are even worse than others though. Jessa is  about as intelligent  and engaging  as a rock. Her husband is  a child with no life experience.  In short, they're both unintelligent  people  who only use their brains for the most basic of  functions and rote memorization.  Jill and Derrick sre no better - he's even worse in a way because he was educated but threw it away. Josh, well, he was failed from birth so what can anyone expect?

I'd quite like some true-to-life sex facts to pop up on screen....yes, I know I'm disgusting. :brainbleach:

"Foreplay with Jimbob lasts approximately 45 seconds. Michelle is fine with that because she doesn't want him pawing at her for any longer than necessary"

"In thirty years of marriage, JimBob's tongue has never once gone near Michelle's hoo haw"

"Ben's penis is four inches long when fully erect" (I have no idea why I think this but I do...)

"Jill once spontaneously reached for Derick's dick during foreplay and he immediately halted proceedings and suggested they pray that she understand her submissive role better"

"Anna once had a sex dream about Mike Huckabee. Her guilt about this is why she's determined to stay with Smuggar"

I know, I know...I'll see myself to the prayer closet:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll::5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: 

"Compounding uninteligence (students being taught by students that have been taught by students, all with no real education) ensures that the youngest Duggars will "graduate" with 3rd grade literacy"

9 hours ago, Mrsaztx said:

"Compounding uninteligence (students being taught by students that have been taught by students, all with no real education) ensures that the youngest Duggars will "graduate" with 3rd grade literacy"

Seriously though, I'm afraid for the future of Jessa and Jill's kids if they stick with homeschooling.

*locks @IrishCarrie in the prayer closet* you stay there and think about the nightmares I'm going to have tonight!

Just now, HarryPotterFan said:

Seriously though, I'm afraid for the future of Jessa and Jill's kids if they stick with homeschooling.

*locks @IrishCarrie in the prayer closet* you stay there and think about the nightmares I'm going to have tonight!

The fundies in my family got burnt out like halfway through and just gave up on teaching the youngest ones, didn't send them to school either. I hope that isn't the case here

And a popup relating how the babies/toddlers go to their sistermoms in the night, not to the people who made/birthed them.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 4:47 PM, SilverBeach said:

My Duggar pet peeves. Why was a commercial dishwasher even installed in the TTH?

Because they bought used & saved the difference (and then had to blab about it). Why else? Oh, and that they also don't believe in carbon footprints & all of that nonsense.  :: rolls eyes ::

On January 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM, LadyCrow1313 said:

Because they bought used & saved the difference (and then had to blab about it). Why else? Oh, and that they also don't believe in carbon footprints & all of that nonsense.  :: rolls eyes ::

Because if you cram everyone in real close they only take up the space of Tampa! Everyone knows the actual problem with overpopulation is the lack of physical space in which bodies have to exist and not a terrible lack of resources such as that pesky "clean water" and "arable land" and "natural ecosystems that control weather patterns and prevent half the country from being randomly flooded and prevent tornado warnings in Southern California in January" which, snark aside, is happening right now, my friends in SoCal are getting tornado warnings. That's terrifying. Can we all make a pact to not elect climate change deniers, ragged less of what their other platforms may be?

The kids have been tested and are reading at/above/below the national average.

One for each kid and kidult for each subject. Science should be interesting.

On 1/10/2016 at 3:36 PM, Bad Wolf said:

The kids have been tested and are reading at/above/below the national average.

One for each kid and kidult for each subject. Science should be interesting.

Wasn't one of the Howlers just learning his times tables?  This evil public school heathen learned them at 8.  It should be Jennifer learning them, not a Howler.

4 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Wasn't one of the Howlers just learning his times tables?  This evil public school heathen learned them at 8.  It should be Jennifer learning them, not a Howler.

Someone should correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new education trend not to require that kids learn the times table?

Archived