IGNORED

If TLC did real pop up facts

Mothership

43 minutes ago, Pupalup said:

Are cloth diapers even sanitary? Call me a germophobe but I wouldn't want to wash my clothes in a washing machine that had been filled with poopy diapers.:pb_eek:

They probably are if you wash them on the very hottest setting.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, missegeno said:

Ever since I switched to cloth pads (and the Divacup - yay reusables!), I cannot imagine using disposable diapers on any future children I may have. My vagina so much prefers the soft and sturdy fabric to the perfume-laden plastic that used to bunch up within a few steps (and the wings on those disposables always ended up sticking to my labia rather than my underwear, which would then inevitably get stained grrr! - with cloth, snaps keep them in place). I can't imagine that sensitive baby skin wouldn't share my preference for soft flannel over plastic. Living near/with a w/d is essential for cloth diapers, yes, but that's already something I prioritize.

I love my mama cloth! I can't imagine going back now.  

1 hour ago, Pupalup said:

Are cloth diapers even sanitary? Call me a germophobe but I wouldn't want to wash my clothes in a washing machine that had been filled with poopy diapers.:pb_eek:

Yes, they are sanitary. It all comes out in the wash, trust me.  Also, in disposables you get blowouts all the time. Would you wash those poopy clothes with everything, or throw out an outfit once a day? and don't even talk to me about potty training....

but yes, the answer is yes. You have to use strong enough detergent. and occasionally sunning them and the occasional bleach can help you feel better about the sanitation though.

Yes! Sun is wonderful. Even in places as grey as the PNW and England, I have managed to sun my reusables (so no excuses!). It keeps them stain free (mostly) so I can enjoy the pretty designs! People act like it's gross to wash these items and use them again, but it's not like poop or blood never gets anywhere with disposables. People just wash whatever was soiled. No big. It's not that different.

Regarding this talk about cloth diapers and the Duggars not using them... I'm honestly kind of glad that this didn't become a thing (while the littles were still babies), considering there's no way in hell Michelle would be the one doing the diaper laundry, when she has Sister Moms at her beck and call and could easily toss that responsibility off to the laundry "jurisdiction."  The Sister Moms are already expected to clean up vomit and piss from their siblings, rather than, I don't know, calling over their piece of shit parents to do their effing job as parents. So... yeah, the idea makes me squeamish if only because I already imagine their laundry to be pretty nasty and horrifying, and adding poopy diapers into the mix... :shock:

But yeah! To be clear, I'm not opposed to cloth diapers. Just... maybe not for the Duggars, unless Michelle's Baby Mom duties included her or Jim Bob doing their Baby of the Day's laundry (which I highly, highly doubt). lol

most of the time she had little ones in diapers though, the older girls weren't really big enough to be helpful. To be fair, the older girls weren't born 12- at some  point she really did just have a lot of little kids around who made big messes and couldn't do much cleaning.  BUT once she did have her j-slaves trained, i agree, giving them the diaper laundry duty wouldn't be fair at all.

46 minutes ago, mizandry said:

Regarding this talk about cloth diapers and the Duggars not using them... I'm honestly kind of glad that this didn't become a thing (while the littles were still babies), considering there's no way in hell Michelle would be the one doing the diaper laundry, when she has Sister Moms at her beck and call and could easily toss that responsibility off to the laundry "jurisdiction."  The Sister Moms are already expected to clean up vomit and piss from their siblings, rather than, I don't know, calling over their piece of shit parents to do their effing job as parents. So... yeah, the idea makes me squeamish if only because I already imagine their laundry to be pretty nasty and horrifying, and adding poopy diapers into the mix... :shock:

But yeah! To be clear, I'm not opposed to cloth diapers. Just... maybe not for the Duggars, unless Michelle's Baby Mom duties included her or Jim Bob doing their Baby of the Day's laundry (which I highly, highly doubt). lol

My daughter has a baby who got her first shots yesterday and was grumpy. She only wanted mama. No one else would do even at that young age. It made me think of the Duggar kids. Kids want their mom or dad when they are ill or out of sorts. I know I certainly never would have called my brother or sister for help. It is just sad. Those parents are just wrong on every level. You do not need 19 children under the best of circumstances. If you want to be a parent then you need to want to "parent" also. Some days are better than others but that is part of it. I am sure my daughter had things she could have been doing but spent the afternoon on the couch with the baby while life went on.

None of those kids stood a chance from the moment they were conceived by those morons.

14 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

My daughter has a baby who got her first shots yesterday and was grumpy. She only wanted mama. No one else would do even at that young age. It made me think of the Duggar kids. Kids want their mom or dad when they are ill or out of sorts. I know I certainly never would have called my brother or sister for help. It is just sad. Those parents are just wrong on every level. You do not need 19 children under the best of circumstances. If you want to be a parent then you need to want to "parent" also. Some days are better than others but that is part of it. I am sure my daughter had things she could have been doing but spent the afternoon on the couch with the baby while life went on.

None of those kids stood a chance from the moment they were conceived by those morons.

I think the saddest part about that is that the kids don't think anything of it. they just think it's normal to have a sibling sub for a parent regularly.

8 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I think the saddest part about that is that the kids don't think anything of it. they just think it's normal to have a sibling sub for a parent regularly.

and that really sucks for those kids. They have no chance at normal or even close to normal.

Cloth nappies work well.  Solids down the toilet then rinse.  Soak overnight in nappisan or similar then wash on hot setting.  Also good as vomit protection when burping daughter no.  1 who had a tendency to vomit a lot.  After potty training the nappies were used for cleaning bathrooms .  

Well worth the money, time and effort.

loved disposables as well.

going back to the math discussion... I was a waldorf student for my early years.  math is critical in waldorf, and taught on a deep, meaningful, and personal level. Calculators are never introduced, but music, movement, rhythm, manipulatives, stories and songs are. I still remember having to memorize the 4's times table, then recite it to the class, while tossing a ball from hand to hand (4, toss, 8, toss, 12 toss etc).  that was 20  years ago, give or take.  http://blog.waldorfmoraine.org/2016/01/why-is-waldorf-math-education-unique-and-powerful/

4 hours ago, mizandry said:

2 unemployed parents are perfect laundry fairies. Plus didn't Michelle have have a laundry fairy for many, many years? In fact, she still does.

Just now, SassyPants said:

2 unemployed parents are perfect laundry fairies. Plus didn't Michelle have have a laundry fairy for many, many years? In fact, she still does.

this is so very true.  I need a damned laundry fairy. NEED.

9 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I think the saddest part about that is that the kids don't think anything of it. they just think it's normal to have a sibling sub for a parent regularly be, for all intents and purposes, their parent.

Fixed that for you.

Well, jb and chelle have to do SOME things still. Like sign paperwork for stuff, declare them on taxes. You know, the hardest parts of parenting.

Four kids and used cloth diapers.   As @Percy said:  solids go down the toilet, soak the diapers and wash.   I did a load of diapers every evening and put them in the dryer in the morning.  I did use bleach on occasion and sometimes a double wash.  Also the sun is a fabulous germ killer and whitener.

And, anecdotally, I do believe that potty training is easier when using cloth diapers.  The selling point for disposables is that he wick the wet away from the baby.  But wet is what reminds the toddler to go and a little discomfort is a great motivator.

I also agree that the J'slaves did not need the extra responsibility of cloth diapers.  But, I don't know why Mullet didn't use cloth at least initially with Josh and even Jana and JD.

Archived