IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

3 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Agree with the bolded. I'm a year or so younger than Sarah, and I'm starting to understand exactly what Dolly Parton meant when she said, "Time marches on, and sooner or later you realize it's marching right across your face."

They need to let that girl out. Even better, she needs to realize that she is a grown woman and can let herself out.

I would hardly say 30 means its time to put yourself out to pasture. If time is marching across your face, maybe you need a better moisturizer. 

I'm not trying to be all finger wag-gy up in here, and this isn't all directed at Screamapillar who I know was just trying to be silly, but I find Sarah Maxwell to be a Rorschach test for FJers. A lot of the comments-- about age, being unmarried in one's thirties, marriage and children being the height of accomplishment --reveal a lot more about FJers and their own limited beliefs than they do about Sarah. 

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine the gymnastics that went into getting Sarah to Speculated Smalltown. 

First she would have had to submit her 'Reason for Travel' for the October Schedule Meeting Agenda.

After due discussion and cross examination she would have been given leave to submit her Travel Plans in full at next month's meeting. 

So come the November meeting she has her 'Travel Plans' placed on the agenda and submits her neatly typed double spaced Schedule Amendment paperwork, along with her Costings and Necessary Equipment spreadsheets and the Vehicle Request Form*. Then, and only then, will the trip be under consideration by the voting members (ie. Steve and maybe Jesse as he had the necessary decision making genitalia). 

If she had to take an accountability companion the whole thing may have had to start in September to get their schedule amended. 

I am guessing she will have to present a Post Travel Report to the January meeting!

There is no possible way she woke up and thought, 'Huuummm, I might go to Speculated Smalltown today', told her mother she wouldn't be in for lunch and left. 

* I am assuming a female has no business checking the oil or putting petrol in the car but I am guessing these jobs are on Jesse's regular schedule. Something has to be on it!

4 hours ago, nausicaa25 said:
9 hours ago, blessalessi said:

And her daddy loves her more than he trusts her. *vomit smiley*

Is this actually a line in the Hearts book? :pb_eek:

Steve says somewhere that he loves all of his children more than he trusts them.  Not just Sarah.  I think it is in Hearts.

On Titus2 there is a series of articles that later were expanded to become a chapter in Hearts, and it was in this vein that he spoke of loving more than trusting. The same applies to him and Teri. Because Satan.

Their trustworthiness is important, but maybe as important is the issue of WHO they will encounter.

It doesn’t matter whether it is a school or religious organization of stellar credentials. I’m not even assuming there is evil intent on the part of the other person. However, something happens when the right two people get together. Suddenly all logic and self-control are gone. I expect that most have heard of pastors who have become involved in an immoral relationship. Likely those who have been ensnared like this never thought it would happen to them. It is contrary to everything for which they had lived. It is just that they found themselves in a situation that soon was out of control. If it can happen to those who are highly respected and have proven themselves “trustworthy,” then how is it parents think it can’t happen to their young adult children?

Even if the child isn’t “lost to the world,” but only fallen and morally scarred, is it worth the risk? I expect most parents of children that this has happened to don’t even know about it. We have heard many a Christian mom share how she failed when out from under her father’s protection. Might their fathers have done more to protect them? Could it be that their fathers trusted them when they should have protected them?

That is why the shepherd isn’t content knowing that he has his sheep’s “hearts.” He knows there are others out there who may cause him to lose the ones for which he is responsible or who may actually cause them harm. He values his sheep so much that he is not willing to take any chances with them. No matter how confident we are that we have our children’s hearts, they are still flesh and blood. They have to deal with the appetites of the flesh. Is it a matter of trust, or is it a matter of prudence and responsibility?

Remember what Jesus said was in the heart of EVERY person. “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies” (Matthew 15:19). If we ever think our child is strong enough and cannot fall, I believe we have put him in great jeopardy.

http://articles.titus2.com/dads-influence-childrens-spiritual-outcome-part-5/

Maybe they do run errands alone, but I can't see Sarah chatting at length to store owners on her own, to research for her book. In a town famous for its bars and distillery. 

Joseph wasn't even allowed (ahem... he CHOSE not) to be on his own in his own house before marriage because he needed his dad to be able to give pure "references" to the dad of any potential spouse.

17 minutes ago, nausicaa25 said:

I would hardly say 30 means its time to put yourself out to pasture. If time is marching across your face, maybe you need a better moisturizer. 

I'm not trying to be all finger wag-gy up in here, and this isn't all directed at Screamapillar who I know was just trying to be silly, but I find Sarah Maxwell to be a Rorschach test for FJers. A lot of the comments-- about age, being unmarried in one's thirties, marriage and children being the height of accomplishment --reveal a lot more about FJers and their own limited beliefs than they do about Sarah. 

Ooch, "limited beliefs?" 

My comment, contrasting Sarah and MJB at the same age, was to demonstrate the superiority of my own parents' beliefs over Strve Maxwell's -- BMJB and BDJB believed the spiritual and moral training they provided would be sufficient to underlie their kids' adult choices in life. I don't see that certainty from the elder Maxwells, who've constricted, restricted and narrowly depicted their children's choices well beyond the age of majority. 

But that's just me. 

Eta: I actually think Sarah looks really happy in the selfie.  It is nice to see her smiling for the camera, instead of hideing behind it, for once. It must feel nice to have something of her own to begin from scratch, instead of following the same schedule all day long. 

We need to see NR Anna and Jesse have their own projects next, please Steve. ;)

9 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Adding my admiration for salex's sleuthing skills.

Gosh - Sarah is 10 whole miles away from the MaxBorg collective. I bet Stevie's breaking out in a serious case of loss-of-control hives.

She crossed the state line.  She is in a whole other state by herself. Steve my need a case of cream for those hives.

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I think the commenter mean Sarah teach a writing course. Which would definitely be a possibilty. 

You're quite right @anjulibai, sadly. I didn't read it properly, and got too exited for Poor Sarah. *sigh*

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

I think the commenter mean Sarah teach a writing course. Which would definitely be a possibilty. 

Ah, the blind leading the blind...

Re: above. I think it shows how desperate they are becoming. Sales are down, 1TonOnRamp failed, speaking engagements quickly drying up, to many adult unmarried children. Just look how the number of comments have declined, and a good number are jingers or other snarkers.

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM, salex said:

Sarah is exploring Weston, MO, a town 10 miles from Leavenworth.  In the picture below, you can see the same striped awning, the same plaque and light brick stripe in the wall and the same weathered bench, and the same parking configuration.  I had suspected they were in Weston last time, (assuming they were in the same town). They have a couple of wineries (one in an old church which likely scandalizes the Maxwells !!!) and used to have a McCormick Distillery tasting room (may still). They are a quick weekend getaway place, with bed and breakfasts,  antique and craft stores, pub and various festivals throughout the year

.  FullSizeRender-288x400.jpg56742d2037ce4_WestonPicture.thumb.JPG.c7

On one hand I love the detective work.

On the other, I can see Steve (Hi Steve!) using this as a reason to shield his adult "children" even more.

The idea of Sarah Maxwell teaching a writing course is incredibly hilarious to me. I am seriously laughing out loud right now. Except I barely have a voice at the moment, so it sounds more like a something is dying. :my_biggrin:

16 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Thanks for including that bit from his post. He says he doesn't trust his kids, but even more, he doesn't trust the people who will interact with his kids. Really, it's that he doesn't trust God--to protect his kids in the first place or to guide them if they fail. 

16 hours ago, blessalessi said:

He values his sheep so much that he is not willing to take any chances with them.

Even God took chances by giving his people free will, yet Steve won't do the same thing. Steve is so controlling that he makes Erika Shupe look like a hippie (no offense intended toward hippies).

19 hours ago, nausicaa25 said:

Marriage and children are the height of accomplishment... for a Maxwell Woman.. I don't think the people you're referring to would respond the same way to a non-fundie unmarried woman in her thirties.  But such a woman is probably heading somewhere in life, unlike Sarah who has no real choices, options, or alternatives.  It's by her own family's standards that she never got to be a real kid, and now will never get to be a real adult either.

There really is no correct way to live your life at 30, 40, 50, etc. No one way is the best way. The problem with the Maxwells or other fundies is that the children, even adult children, are never given a choice to explore and decide the route for their own life. Your life is not better if you went to college, got married or had kids by XYZ date. There is no superiority in it. Your quality of life is better if you were given the opportunity to make an informed decision as to whether you wanted to get married, have children, go to college or join the circus. Having ownership of your own future is a fantastic thing. 

I am in my late 30s, never married or had kids, although I would like too. The opportunity just had not arisen. Yet, I was given the opportunity to decide that I wanted to go to college, live on my own, travel, date and realize that driving one town over or to another state is my decision alone. If Sarah walked out into the real world, truly knew what was out there and decided she still wanted to be a SAHD as her choice alone, no one would be saying she should have done ABC by XYZ date.

38 minutes ago, socalrules said:

There really is no correct way to live your life at 30, 40, 50, etc. No one way is the best way. The problem with the Maxwells or other fundies is that the children, even adult children, are never given a choice to explore and decide the route for their own life. Your life is not better if you went to college, got married or had kids by XYZ date. There is no superiority in it. Your quality of life is better if you were given the opportunity to make an informed decision as to whether you wanted to get married, have children, go to college or join the circus. Having ownership of your own future is a fantastic thing. 

I am in my late 30s, never married or had kids, although I would like too. The opportunity just had not arisen. Yet, I was given the opportunity to decide that I wanted to go to college, live on my own, travel, date and realize that driving one town over or to another state is my decision alone. If Sarah walked out into the real world, truly knew what was out there and decided she still wanted to be a SAHD as her choice alone, no one would be saying she should have done ABC by XYZ date.

Exactly.

And since Sarah hasn't walked, doesn't know, and can't make that choice, we snark.  Though we probably shouldn't snark at her so much.  She's a victim.  We just wish she'd somehow find it in herself to stop being a victim, but I think she's been hollowed out of any such tendancies.

6 hours ago, nomoxian said:

On one hand I love the detective work.

On the other, I can see Steve (Hi Steve!) using this as a reason to shield his adult "children" even more.

That's some impressive detective work @nomoxian! I'm assuming you live in the area.

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

That's some impressive detective work @nomoxian! I'm assuming you live in the area.

Thanks, but I can't take the credit! I was only quoting someone else, who I assume is quite familiar with the area.

Sorry for any confusion. I did scroll up and, at least with the theme I'm using, it does appear to be posted as a quote.

On 12/19/2015 at 7:30 PM, blessalessi said:

Steve says somewhere that he loves all of his children more than he trusts them.  Not just Sarah.  I think it is in Hearts.

On Titus2 there is a series of articles that later were expanded to become a chapter in Hearts, and it was in this vein that he spoke of loving more than trusting. The same applies to him and Teri. Because Satan.

http://articles.titus2.com/dads-influence-childrens-spiritual-outcome-part-5/

Maybe they do run errands alone, but I can't see Sarah chatting at length to store owners on her own, to research for her book. In a town famous for its bars and distillery. 

Joseph wasn't even allowed (ahem... he CHOSE not) to be on his own in his own house before marriage because he needed his dad to be able to give pure "references" to the dad of any potential spouse.

The long explanations on this always makes me wonder who did what to Steve, or what did Steve do to whom that makes him so concerned that any outside exposure might contaminate his kids.  I wonder if whatever it was happened when he was younger, or later in his life, which prompted his scurrying away from the world and into hiding.    People generally have reasons for how they are.

1 hour ago, salex said:

The long explanations on this always makes me wonder who did what to Steve, or what did Steve do to whom that makes him so concerned that any outside exposure might contaminate his kids.  I wonder if whatever it was happened when he was younger, or later in his life, which prompted his scurrying away from the world and into hiding.    People generally have reasons for how they are.

Amen to that! I have long thought the same thing. His hypervigilant cloistering of his kids makes me think he knows ALL TOO WELL what people are capable of. Like from first-hand experience. Maybe even as the perpetrator. If only he can stuff his head totally full of God and the Bible and keep himself and his family as far as possible from whatever circumstances he fears, all will be well. I keep picking up on his  fear...he must be terribly afraid of something to force his family to live such miserable lives.

The sheltering seems like a pathological defense mechanism on his part. The term I'm reaching for is "reaction formation", but I'm no psychologist and don't know if I'm using it correctly.

I honestly don't think anyone did anything to Steve, nor do I think he did anything, that made him this way. 

I think this is just him. He's got some sort of personality disorder or something that makes him this way. The sheltering is just his means of control. 

Little Drew went to Baskin-Robbins. Surprised that they would pay for ice cream by the scoop. I assume that Sarah also went. It is interesting that the family doesn't show their complete life on the blog.

I am waiting on Mary's blog post on her time working at OCC. It has been almost a week. Really taking too long.

I agree that they totally need to rebrand. Christopher and Anna Marie can take over. NR Anna can write one blog post a week about taking care of her children. They need to get mothers interested in their products. Also, Elissa and Melanie can get involved. 

Maybe if Sarah's books were reviewed by a professional, they could be a bigger success. The professional could fix the awkward sentence structure.

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

I honestly don't think anyone did anything to Steve, nor do I think he did anything, that made him this way. 

I think this is just him. He's got some sort of personality disorder or something that makes him this way. The sheltering is just his means of control. 

For myself, I really don't know if Steve's hypervigilant sheltering stems from something that happened earlier in his life whether something he did or was or was done to him, or if it's just his personality makeup.   It could be any one of these things or a combination. Usually these things are a reaction towards something but it's really hard to know. However, the fact remains that the extreme sheltering that he advocates is not normal and it's obvious it's prevented some of his children from forging an independent life.  In the case of those who have left, they are still enmeshed with the family and financially dependent, it's simply not normal.

If Sarah had been allowed to explore options in life and decided that being a SAHD was the right thing for her, fine.  However, given the extreme sheltering and over parental involvement at her age, it leaves serious questions of it being a free choice for her. 

49 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

For myself, I really don't know if Steve's hypervigilant sheltering stems from something that happened earlier in his life whether something he did or was or was done to him, or if it's just his personality makeup.   It could be any one of these things or a combination. Usually these things are a reaction towards something but it's really hard to know. However, the fact remains that the extreme sheltering that he advocates is not normal and it's obvious it's prevented some of his children from forging an independent life.  In the case of those who have left, they are still enmeshed with the family and financially dependent, it's simply not normal.

Agreed.  I have seen some instances where it appears that someone's personality inclines them to interpret things in a really extreme way.  For example, if someone is an extreme worrier by nature, learning about something bad that happened could cause them to react with an extreme version of "See?  I told you so!" and go to extremes to avoid that ever happening to them.  Whereas a less extreme worrier might interpret the same bad event by putting it in context of how rarely it happens, or decide to take only slight actions to adjust their lifestyle to reduce their own risk (which we might call prudent or conservative, but not extreme).

So, for example, think about how teenager Steve might have reacted to, say, news stories about the Manson Family, or Patty Hearst.  Or perhaps something on a more personal scale such as someone he knew as a teenager who overdosed on drugs or otherwise went down the "wrong" path in life.

I think Steve is just bright enough to realize that "temptation" can be scarily overwhelming, but not bright enough to face up to the fact that one can reduce one's risks in various ways and not have to sacrifice the freedom or qualitative essence of a good life in the process.

4 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Little Drew went to Baskin-Robbins. Surprised that they would pay for ice cream by the scoop. I assume that Sarah also went. It is interesting that the family doesn't show their complete life on the blog.

Baskin-Robbins always finds out.

Archived