IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

7 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Oh dear, I didn't mean to stir anything up with my sassy quip commiserating with my fellow early thirty-something Sarah's subtle fine lines. She's an attractive woman who doesn't look tired or worn down to me, she just looks her age.

I am certainly one of those who, as Mama Junebug put it, has a real tenderness towards poor Sarah. I've been following the Maxwells for a decade, since way back when Sarah was telling girls at the fair how she'd never kissed a boy at age 23 and not too long after she was critiquing other young ladies at church for not dressing modestly enough. Back then, similarly aged me had an eye-rolling "Eh, maybe she'll grow out of her fear and brainwashing someday" reaction to Sarah. That she's still stuck in Maxhell to this day frustrates me to no end.

Sorry Screamapillar, your comment somehow triggered a train of thought I'd been having for awhile. You sort of just got stuck in the crossfire. 

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what @MamaJunebug observed also probably ties back into the fact that for all intents and purposes, Sarah has been mother to all the reversals, not Teri.   Teri was too busy getting pregnant, having babies, and trying to pray away the depression caused at least in part by having babies.   A lot of the parenting responsibilities fell on Sarah, not the least of which was keeping the reversals on a schedule so Steve wouldn't get mad and Teri wouldn't cry.

I've always been Team Ruthanne. :)  Anna Marie has had her in very cute stuff before.

On December 21, 2015 at 9:16 PM, Marian the Librarian said:

New post is up - "a sweet Christmas gathering with our elderly friends." Sarah is at the piano, looking grim...

I like to think that after the Maxwells leave "the elderly" break out some alcohol and snark on them the way FJ does.

4 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

I like to think that after the Maxwells leave "the elderly" break out some alcohol and snark on them the way FJ does.

Maybe not "the elderly" but maybe the staff. 

On December 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM, bertnee said:
33 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

My mom certainly would, her table mates all have a pretty good sense of humor and my mom's buddy 'Pat the hat' wouldn't even wait for them to leave.

On December 14, 2015 at 6:29 PM, bertnee said:
33 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said: I like to think that after the Maxwells leave "the elderly" break out some alcohol and snark on them the way FJ does.

My mom certainly would, her table mates all have a pretty good sense of humor and my mom's buddy 'Pat the hat' wouldn't even wait for them to leave.

My grandma would have! Actually, she would have stayed in her room during a Maxwell visit and drank. There was nothing sweet and submissive about my grandma.

When my grandma was in the home, she had a set of tablemates that would have definitely snarked at the Maxwells after one of their visits. 

New post is up, chock-full of more baking, and passive voice:

We’ve really enjoyed making Christmas cookies ahead this year. Usually we’ve waited until Christmas Day to make one kind of cookie for our police officers. Not only does that introduce a tighter schedule for the day but it also doesn’t leave any variety. In addition, we wanted to bless our trash pickup guys. Those plates were delivered last week, and the police force’s basket is ready for them this week!

Then, last Friday afternoon, Poppy Seed Bread needed to be baked for caroling. I think bread is the wrong word for these flavor-packed loaves. Probably Poppy Seed Cake is more accurate. Whatever the case, it’s our go-to treat to give out on caroling night as it’s pretty simple to make. Need the recipe again? See the end of the post.

It seems like they might enjoy baking. Maybe even find it fun. I am surprised Steve hasn't made them stop as they seem to be making an idol of it. 

Just now, socalrules said:

It seems like they might enjoy baking. Maybe even find it fun. I am surprised Steve hasn't made them stop as they seem to be making an idol of it. 

I think he hasn't stopped from baking because they are baking to give to other people. 

14 minutes ago, socalrules said:

Seeing as he probably gets to eat at least some of the fruits of their labour, it seems baking gets the OK. Plus, it's something to keep the pesky wimmin folk busy and out of mischief, like thinking for themselves, or going to the shops alone  :pb_surprised:

On 20 December 2015 at 0:38 AM, salex said:

The long explanations on this always makes me wonder who did what to Steve, or what did Steve do to whom that makes him so concerned that any outside exposure might contaminate his kids.  I wonder if whatever it was happened when he was younger, or later in his life, which prompted his scurrying away from the world and into hiding.    People generally have reasons for how they are.

I wouldn't be surprised if he found himself sorely tempted by one of those dreadful pants wearing women he had to work with years ago, before retiring and closing the shutters on his family.

His horror at his own impure thoughts was too hard to bear, so he turned the tables and made the world the problem, rather than looking inside himself and seeking forgiveness or whatever Steve does. A little recreational self flagellation perhaps?

If it wasn't the fault of secular world, it would have been the fault of Steve, and his own lust, and that would NEVER do.

Did I read that right, that they actually schedule Christmas day? I mean sure, if you're driving to family and you need to plan meals for 50 odd people, and gifts and what movies to watch, but you know they're just talking about excercise time, bible time and hair-shirt and weeping time. Give the poor kids a break Steve, leave them alone for one day a year, for the love of all things.

Some of you have read the whole Moody series haven't you?  I made it through a page. i've never been into the idea of fiction writing, but I see pap like that and wonder how hard it would be to actually put together something servicable. Not great, but at least readable.

I would like to downvote the concept of her teaching children's writing. I don't want to put that on anyone's rep. But no. The girl needs out, this is not the way. No.

That poppy seed loaf recipe...couldn't you use real butter instead of butter flavoring? I've never heard of that. Yuck. 

What do you want to bet no one eats their homemade stuff anyway? They seem like the type whose food would be harmless but are the police going to take the chance? The Maxwells live in their own artificially-flavored world. 

10 hours ago, DaffyDill said:

His horror at his own impure thoughts was too hard to bear, so he turned the tables and made the world the problem, rather than looking inside himself and seeking forgiveness or whatever Steve does. A little recreational self flagellation perhaps?

If it wasn't the fault of secular world, it would have been the fault of Steve, and his own lust, and that would NEVER do.

Well we do know Steve was traumatized by his parents divorce, he has said so.  And i believe he mentioned the fact that his father was fooling around.  He might have been afraid he would head in the same direction as he got older.

I really think that was at least one of the issues that led to his controlling ways later in life.

And do you remember that story he told about accidentally (so he says) looking down the blouse of a woman who was visiting their family?  He says he almost cried.   That is a very, very over the top response for something like that.

23 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Well we do know Steve was traumatized by his parents divorce, he has said so.  And i believe he mentioned the fact that his father was fooling around.  He might have been afraid he would head in the same direction as he got older.

I really think that was at least one of the issues that led to his controlling ways later in life.

And do you remember that story he told about accidentally (so he says) looking down the blouse of a woman who was visiting their family?  He says he almost cried.   That is a very, very over the top response for something like that.

Didn't find that one yet but this one's a doozy.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000817200955/http://www.titus2.com/Corners/5-97-d.htm

On 12/14/2015 at 7:47 PM, molecule said:

Well, her apron IS a little light against her hips...

Wait and check out that polka- dot print. Better call someone we've got a serious eye trap problem going on here.

That poppy seed loaf recipe...couldn't you use real butter instead of butter flavoring? I've never heard of that. Yuck. 

What do you want to bet no one eats their homemade stuff anyway? They seem like the type whose food would be harmless but are the police going to take the chance? The Maxwells live in their own artificially-flavored world. 

Well remember they live in a fairly small town so the police likely know he family. And also people tend not to be so hung up on not using processed foods. I just think of my family in small town Nebraska and of a certain generation they still love Crisco and packages ingredients.

Another post.  This one is about baking cinnamon rolls last Sunday for their "elderly friends,"  the captive people in the nursing home who attend Maxwell church.  And judging by the size of the box each friend got one roll.  Yes, there it is-- photographic evidence.  I don't know why the elderly couldn't get Christmas cookies but I guess the girls didn't have enough to do. (I figure poppy seeds and dentures don't mix well.)  It looks like each box came with a photograph of the Maxwells as a card.  There are a lot of boxes but not too many friends in the photographs so maybe some boxes just got set aside for people who didn't want to come to Maxwell church.

By the way, who is Betsy?  Is that another name for Bethany?

On December 19, 2015 at 7:59 PM, anjulibai said:

I think the commenter mean Sarah teach a writing course. Which would definitely be a possibilty. 

Cool! And I'll give a course on astrophysics! I'm as expert in that as Sarah is at writing.

4 hours ago, sparkles said:

As I've said of other hyper religious men (such as those for whom not even a burqa is concealing enough because you can still hear a woman's footsteps!), Steve must have a hair trigger dick, and be prone to premature ejaculation.

19 minutes ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Another post.  This one is about baking cinnamon rolls last Sunday for their "elderly friends,"  the captive people in the nursing home who attend Maxwell church.  And judging by the size of the box each friend got one roll.  Yes, there it is-- photographic evidence.  I don't know why the elderly couldn't get Christmas cookies but I guess the girls didn't have enough to do. (I figure poppy seeds and dentures don't mix well.)  It looks like each box came with a photograph of the Maxwells as a card.  There are a lot of boxes but not too many friends in the photographs so maybe some boxes just got set aside for people who didn't want to come to Maxwell church.

By the way, who is Betsy?  Is that another name for Bethany?

Yeah, they occasionally call her that. I'm not sure why. They also call her Bethy sometimes. 

And yes, one cinnamon roll each, how blah. Because, you know, if it's one thing such old folks should worry about it's gluttony. 

I hate to say this, but I agree with the Maxwell Family with limiting sugar intake for the elderly. There has been studies showing that sugar harms your brain health. I have seen it first hand with my grandma.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/07/24/sugar-brain-function.aspx

My question is did the Maxwell Family actually carol to 40 houses since they made 40 loaves of poppy seed bread/cake?

Where's Mary's OCC blog post? We are going on two weeks home. Are they that busy?

Archived