IGNORED

The Maxwell girls love to bake!

SPHASH

Yes the snow entry has some truly great pictures for once-- everyone looks sincerely happy, not fake posed happy.  I can't tell, is that Betsy in the header?  Whoever it is, that is magical picture worthy of a magazine.

On the other hand, the caroling post is a big mess.  Most of the photos are too dark and muddy with several shots of the back of Maxwell heads in a shadow.  If the pictures are not interesting or don't clearly convey the story you are trying to tell, they should not be included.  They do a lousy job of photo blogging. And what does this even mean:

I’ve sure most are aware of “lazy lights”: the new laser Christmas lights. The girls posed for a picture for me.

"I've sure"?  Who is "most"? Most of her readers?  because I don't know what they are and the picture sure didn't help me out.  Is "lazy lights" a nickname that the Maxwells came up with? I suppose I could google it because Sarah didn't help me understand what was going on.

And once again in the picture of Joseph and Elissa, he looks like an overly-possessive psychopath.  Run, Elissa, run!  Get away!

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a light you put on your lawn and it shines twinkly lights all over the front of your house so you don't have to actually hang up physical Christmas lights. I first heard about them from a really drunk woman sitting next to me at a bar. Sarah explained it about as well. I had no clue what they actually were until I saw a house with one and went, "Oooooh, THAT must be the light that lady was talking about."

Another post. Christopher's family went for a snow walk, the kids in a wagon. Lydia looks so happy in the header- it's adorable! She's called Liddy again.

Adorable pictures aside the latest post is another hot mess. 

This sweet family, also known as the Christopher Maxwell’s, were out for a snow walk after lunch today.

No, just no.  Christopher and Anne Marie took their children for a walk in the snow today.  No need to tell us they are sweet.  No need to tell us they are "also known as." Plus I've mentioned Mrs. Christopher by name which Sarah never bothers to because she is not a Maxwell by blood.  We get the kids named and Christopher but she is just the brood mare, no need to give her name.

Is it common to call it a "snow walk."?  Why not just walk, or if necessary  "walk in the snow."  Plus I don't live in the snow but I don't find I really need it explained to me that sled runners help the sled glide over the snow (and ice.)

6 hours ago, Justme said:

Lunch!!! That is nothing!

I went on an actual business trip with an employee of mine who happened to be a man! We flew, took cabs, went to meetings, ate in restaurants. Guess what?!? At the end of the day we retired to our respective rooms. Our spouses didn't flutter an eyelash!

Too the moon, Stevie!!

My dh had to travel regularly, sometimes with women. He said he does occasionally feel uncomfortable with it, and prefers if there are other people along. There is one woman in particular he doesn't like to travel alone with, but I think that is because he finds her annoying and likes for there to be someone else for her to talk to. :D

We have lots of coupleI friends, and a few we are very close with. But I think it is smart to be...guarded, for lack of a better word. It's naive to think nothing could/would ever happen, as it does all the time. You have to just not go there mentally. I don't think it has anything to do with physical proximaty, a business lunch shouldn't cause a problem as long as you are completely closed to the idea. It's a"heart issue".

Hi all, longtime lurker. I had to use my first post for this one. It looks to me that Christopher and NRAnna took their snow walk in someone's backyard. Just me?

11 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I get confused when a new nickname pops up for one of the grandkids - Liddy, Betsy.  They call them the same name for months and then BAM! Suddenly there's a cute new name thrown into the mix.  I just don't know why they do that. I wonder if they are trying to see what names their readers like so they can suddenly start calling the poor children by something new.  Or, more likely, Steve has said "I'm bored with the name Lydia...we shall call her Liddy." 

The whole thing just strikes me as weird. Usually a kid's nickname is established when she/he is a baby and doesn't change. Even when the kid is grown and hates the nickname, the relatives still insist on using it. If a nickname does change (for example, if a William called Billy suddenly becomes Will) it generally happens at school, where the kid gets the new nickname from peers or perhaps a teacher. But the Maxwell grandkids don't go to school. Or Sunday school. Or anyplace else where they would interact with other kids. Maybe Sarah is the one doling out these new nicknames because she doesn't have children of her own to name? But with her new writing project, you'd think she would be busy naming her characters.

On December 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM, kpmom said:

And the saleswoman offered to bring a male co-worker along.  If the male co-worker sat between them how would anyone think anything was going on with them?

Do his sons refuse any woman who wants to hire them? 

Speaking as a woman in IT who had hired similar vendors, if that 1Ton website is still up one gander at that and they don't have to worry about a woman hiring them.

jingerale ( great name), i can't explain it easily, but there is a row of houses down one street and all those backyards back up to the side of their very deep backyard property.

6 hours ago, Jingerale said:

Hi all, longtime lurker. I had to use my first post for this one. It looks to me that Christopher and NRAnna took their snow walk in someone's backyard. Just me?

I agree, it does look like they took their stroll in the backyard.

Silly Maxwells!

I think Reversal Anna is often called Annie (by Nathan).  

Steve reads hear so maybe he slips up and calls her "Reversal Anna" from time to time? ;)

12 hours ago, Handmaiden of Dog said:

Adorable pictures aside the latest post is another hot mess. 

No, just no.  Christopher and Anne Marie took their children for a walk in the snow today.  No need to tell us they are sweet.  No need to tell us they are "also known as." Plus I've mentioned Mrs. Christopher by name which Sarah never bothers to because she is not a Maxwell by blood.  We get the kids named and Christopher but she is just the brood mare, no need to give her name.

Is it common to call it a "snow walk."?  Why not just walk, or if necessary  "walk in the snow."  Plus I don't live in the snow but I don't find I really need it explained to me that sled runners help the sled glide over the snow (and ice.)

Ugh, I had the same reaction when I read that sentence.  What in the hell is Sarah's obsession with the word 'sweet'. Is there anyhing she doesn't describe as 'sweet'?  I've never seen a 'writer' with such a limited vocabulary.

Yeah, and 'the Christopher Maxwell's".  First of all, wouldn't it have been easier to say "The Christopher Maxwell Family".  Secondly, if that is too many words would it not be the "the Christopher Maxwells".  As written with the apostrophe, it implies possession, as NR Anna and the kids belong to him, rather than no apostrophe as they are multiple members to the family, thus Maxwell should be plural. 

Wait, scratch that last thought.  Sarah is correct, a family is a possession of the father, thus the apostrophe was used correctly....

Sled runners help the wagon go over snow?  Thanks for the tip!  

And since Sarah has some interesting ways with words, did I read that the caroling party happened a week after caroling, or that pics of the caroling party will be put up online a week later?  

I think fundies are so obsessed with patriarchy that they couldn't say something simple like "Chris's family" oh no... They have to hit you over the head with the whole formal name so you will remember that 2 heterosexual people fell in love, got married, had godly sex and created children for Jesus whom they now pull around in a wagon while awaiting the next godly child to arrive. 

13 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

The whole thing just strikes me as weird. Usually a kid's nickname is established when she/he is a baby and doesn't change. Even when the kid is grown and hates the nickname, the relatives still insist on using it. If a nickname does change (for example, if a William called Billy suddenly becomes Will) it generally happens at school, where the kid gets the new nickname from peers or perhaps a teacher. But the Maxwell grandkids don't go to school. Or Sunday school. Or anyplace else where they would interact with other kids. Maybe Sarah is the one doling out these new nicknames because she doesn't have children of her own to name? But with her new writing project, you'd think she would be busy naming her characters.

When I was a kid, about 8 or so, my aunt and her husband (on my dad's side) suddenly started calling me "Laurie". Not sure why. I thought it was weird, so I told my mom and she rolled her eyes. She had specifically not wanted me to be called Laurie. This went on until I was about 14 and decided I wanted to spend summers with my mom. Thankfully, they stopped by the time I visited next when I was 18. 

New post up: Huh, looks like they went to the Olive Garden and were seated next to a bunch of bottles of wine. Didn't Steve say they don't go where alcohol is served? 

Another post! They're on a roll!

It's the 12 Voices of Christmas outing, with Christopher and family, Joseph and family, plus GiGi. There's a close-up of "Liddy". Interesting. We were always saying how we never saw her close up, and BOOM there've been quite a few close-ups of her lately. 

Ruthie's in a hazmat suit but Joshua is not. Oooh, that's something I've noticed- they shorten every kid's name, except Joshua. He's never called Josh, unlike Smuggar who's the complete opposite. 

15 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

New post up: Huh, looks like they went to the Olive Garden and were seated next to a bunch of bottles of wine. Didn't Steve say they don't go where alcohol is served? 

As much as they seem to like Mexican restaurants, I can't see that working out well. I have yet to go to one that doesn't serve margaritas and beer. 

I think these recent "out in the world" posts (symphony/Messiah, dinner out, Union Station) are Steve's calculated way of saying "I do too let my family leave the compound once in a while!"

10 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I think these recent "out in the world" posts (symphony/Messiah, dinner out, Union Station) are Steve's calculated way of saying "I do too let my family leave the compound once in a while!"

I just can't imagine the embarrassment of asking the server what can we pray about for you? *cringe*

5 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I just can't imagine the embarrassment of asking the server what can we pray about for you? *cringe*

Yes, well, there are all those heathen types out in the world, just crying out to be "saved." I imagine Union Station was chock-full of commuters, including working women - some carrying briefcases, some wearing pants, perhaps even some going to or coming from a business lunch/dinner with male co-workers. So many heathens, so little time...

The mind reels, I tell you. It absolutely reels!

Twenty bucks says they all ordered the endless salads and breadsticks for EVERYONE at the table.

Also, what a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE it was that Joseph and Chris's families could make it out! Thank GOD they didn't have anything else on their dance cards for that night!

7 minutes ago, deborahlynn1979 said:

Also, what a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE it was that Joseph and Chris's families could make it out! Thank GOD they didn't have anything else on their dance cards for that night!

You know how busy those Maxwell men are! Hardly time for a family zoo trip or the monthly family photo session. 

Archived