IGNORED

Maxwells at the *symphony!*

Marian the Librarian

10 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I would love to know what recipes are considered appropriate for a mother with lots of little children.  Are hot dogs too involved?  They require boiling AND condiment usage.  Is PBJ too much?  Two kinds of sandwich fillings might be over the top...

A slice of cheese on white bread.  The only kind of pizza you have time for when you have lots and lots of children as per the Maxwells.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jiggleromp said:

A slice of cheese on white bread.  The only kind of pizza you have time for when you have lots and lots of children as per the Maxwells.

As long as it's not toasted, no need getting carried away!

22 minutes ago, jiggleromp said:

But not the kind of cheese that comes with paper, that requires far too much preparation!

I have two preschoolers and could really make this abomination in no time at all. The 4 year old would "help" with the chopping and shit. Plus, wtf is that white stuff? What's wrong with a little vinagrette? Too heathen?

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I would love to know what recipes are considered appropriate for a mother with lots of little children.  Are hot dogs too involved?  They require boiling AND condiment usage.  Is PBJ too much?  Two kinds of sandwich fillings might be over the top...

Well, the hotdogs resemble those spurting bratwursts of Moody fame...

Since fundies seem to eat highly processed foods and few healthy meals (I am looking at you Duggars) I can see how this salad would be considered time consuming. You have to cut veggies instead of opening a can. I can imagine Teri trying to make this on her own and needing a rest after chopping each item. If this is considered a complicated recipe, I wonder what an easy one would be in Maxwell land. This reminds me of a recipe you would let someone who can't cook make, such as a ten year old. 

Oh,  I remember that 7 Layer salad! I haven't seen it for years,  but it was popular in the south at picnics. A co worker used to bring it in every once in a while.  I loved it.  I think the dressing had miracle whip in it, but maybe parmesan from a can also? I do wonder why it's not made all mixed in a bowl like normal salad? Why layered like a casserole? I like cold uncooked frozen peas,  it's the only way I can stand them. 

I do think it's telling that they think layering lettuce in a bowl and pouring dressing on top is too much for moms with little kids. I know many mom's with many kids who grind their own grain and bake bread from scratch every week,  and cook real food at every meal. I feel like a slacker at my home school co-op because my kids are on self feed for breakfast and lunch. 

I think I own the black and red plaid skirt that Teri is wearing in the pics from the symphony. I usually wear it with leather boots and a tight, black cashmere sweater. To make matters worse my sweater is an eye trap with a deep v neck and instead of buttons it has little hooks and eyes.

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Oh for the love of Pete! I've made that salad a gazillion times; sometimes with a baby on my hip and a preschooler "helping" me.  Of course, I'm just a heathen mother of two so I guess I'm allowed to make it.  Frankly, I don't like Sarah's little statement that this is NOT for moms with lots of little ones.  Define "lots" please.  I can't decide if she's being bossy or if she truly can't comprehend that a woman with a large family could pull off....um....a salad??

Well, given all that labor-intensive hard-boiling of eggs and chopping of vegetables, plus making the dressing from scratch, putting together a 7-layer salad requires a significant block of time in the Schedule. And if you have lots of little kids, you run the risk of not finishing the salad within its allotted time--thus disrupting the Schedule. What are you going to do if salad-making goes into overtime, and the Schedule now says it's time to scrub the grout in the laundry room floor with a toothbrush, but you haven't even started the dressing yet?

In Maxhell, this is a big fucking deal, because there is no "winging it," or "it's done when it's done," or "the grout doesn't really need scrubbing," or "I'll do it later." There is only the Schedule, and the Schedule must be obeyed.

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

Since fundies seem to eat highly processed foods and few healthy meals (I am looking at you Duggars) I can see how this salad would be considered time consuming. You have to cut veggies instead of opening a can. I can imagine Teri trying to make this on her own and needing a rest after chopping each item. If this is considered a complicated recipe, I wonder what an easy one would be in Maxwell land. This reminds me of a recipe you would let someone who can't cook make, such as a ten year old. 

Yeah, seven layer dip and seven layer salad were what people in my coed Greek society would make for our traditional potlucks if they didn't know how to cook. And even people who weren't great at cooking would come up with stuff like Spam Musubi, simple chocolate chip cookies, or kale chips.

I don't understand how the Maxwells can go on and on about what great homemakers they are when they consider a salad that takes maybe 20 minutes at the very most to prepare and assemble a herculean culinary task. They should come check out the holidays with my family. Sauces that take two whole days to make, chicken stock made from scratch, lasagne with homemade noodles, whipped cream made from actual cream and not sprayed out of a can...

I love seven-layer salad and made one to take to a family event recently. I don't like making the salad because I don't like chopping vegetables or frying bacon, but it doesn't take me any longer than it does to make any other salad. It would never occur to me to make a blog post out of how much work it is, though. 

I rarely go to fundie's actual websites/blogs because I don't want to give them the clicks - I get all my information I need on FJ! But this amazing almighty seven layer salad has shattered my resolve - I'm off to take a look!!

:thumbsup-cheese:

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this salad is such a big honking' deal or why it's so much more work than any other salad. You're still chopping vegetables and whapping them into some kind of container. Is it the layers that throw them? I mean, really, so it's got layers. Once you dish up a 7 layer salad, you've got…a mixed salad. It's baffling to me that it takes not only a RECIPE CARD, but a full blog post on how to make it (will there be a test?) AND a follow-up post telling you how to cut your lettuce with a pizza cutter (which you shouldn't do anyway—tearing is better because metal discolors the greens and can give them a metallic taste).

I guess this is what you do to give meaning to your life—turn mundane tasks into the 12 labors of Hercules. That their leghumpers are falling all over themselves in adoration is even more pathetic. 

15 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Oh for the love of Pete! I've made that salad a gazillion times; sometimes with a baby on my hip and a preschooler "helping" me.  Of course, I'm just a heathen mother of two so I guess I'm allowed to make it.  Frankly, I don't like Sarah's little statement that this is NOT for moms with lots of little ones.  Define "lots" please.  I can't decide if she's being bossy or if she truly can't comprehend that a woman with a large family could pull off....um....a salad??

I can picture it now. A young mom with...oh, say...seven children arrives at a supper to welcome the Maxwells to a host church where they are holding a conference. She hands Teri a seven layer salad. Teri and Steve look at each other. They silently count the children.  They purse their lips and excuse themselves while they pray over whether they should eat the salad.

I wonder how Sarah and Teri take NR-Anna, who seems to be a very efficient and skilled homemaker with a lot of energy. Unlike Teri, whose depression probably made everything seem a Herculean task. I can totally see NR-Anna whipping up this salad with a baby on her hip and a preschooler "helping." Hell, I can see NR-Anna whipping up a quilt while simultaneously breast feeding and weeding her garden.

I wonder if it makes Sarah reconsider how much her mother has made mountains out of molehills her whole life? I actually don't mean this as snark against Teri; I know how depression makes everything so difficult. But I'm curious if the Maxwell kids ever put together that perhaps there were some issues with their mother growing up and not everything is "normal" with their parents? Especially now that they've been exposed to three sisters-in-law and their ways of doing things. 

I think with Teri's depression even getting dressed was a big deal, so she actually believes this is outside the abilities of a young Mom with multiple littles.   Probably yet another thing taken away from her as a young wife because she couldn't handle it.  What a sad existence. 

I think they all fully know she suffered with depression.  The place they need to join the dots is between the recurring depression and the oppressive, submissive lifestyle that Teri and Steve carvd out together for all of them.

On 12/8/2015 at 10:08 AM, Eternalbluepearl said:

YES!! I don't find Nathan or Christopher to be attractive at all but oh my word, Anna Marie is pretty. 

I must say that I am a bit mystified by the many FreeJingerites who think Anna Marie is pretty or beautiful.  I think she is reasonably attractive, but a bit plain-Jane.  Her features are not especially refined.

18 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

A post is up with the recipe for Myocardial Infarcation salad.  It says not to make it if you have many little ones, as it takes a long time.  It doesn't seem like an overly involved or time-consuming recipe to me, but then again, I do not have little ones...

That salad looks awful.  In particular, the sour cream/mayonnaise mixture on the top makes me gag just looking at it.

1 minute ago, Rosie said:

I must say that I am a bit mystified by the many FreeJingerites who think Anna Marie is pretty or beautiful.  I think she is reasonably attractive, but a bit plain-Jane.  Her features are not especially refined.

Different tastes I guess. I also think Sarah is pretty. 

18 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

Well there you go; one couple went one night, the "children/chidults" went another night, and the other couple went another night. Oh yeah, Joseph and Elissa went with the other siblings. Pity they can't have all the kids be babysat at the same time; oh yeah, they never DID explain why. Clashing schedules? Or they just can't handle them all at once?

Well, that they all got to go, just at different times, that's better than nothing. And symphony players normally have VERY professional uniforms that cover them up well; no modesty issues.(except, of course, if the female players wear pants) Usually all black so no "eye traps". So if there's any "worldly" stuff to see it'd be in the other audience members.

I get the sense that Nathan and Christopher don't spend much if any time together, either just them or with their wives.

I'm trying to figure out why Sarah feels like using a pizza cutter to chop greens is worthy of its own post. The picture seems pretty self-explanatory. If she felt the need to explain their logic behind it, she could've included it in the captions. It's so odd.

23 minutes ago, Rosie said:

I do think Anna Marie is very pretty but in a way we're not used to these days. It's like she belongs to another time. She's very fresh-faced and natural, with a quiet prettiness that you really don't see anymore. I find her look very refreshing.

I know others have said that the Maxwell girls are much pretty in person but based on their photos (and I'm the least photogenic person I know so I sympathize), I'm not impressed. I think they look attractive on first glance but not on closer inspection. Sarah always looks like tired and worn out to me.

30 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I do think Anna Marie is very pretty but in a way we're not used to these days. It's like she belongs to another time. She's very fresh-faced and natural, with a quiet prettiness that you really don't see anymore. I find her look very refreshing.

I know others have said that the Maxwell girls are much pretty in person but based on their photos (and I'm the least photogenic person I know so I sympathize), I'm not impressed. I think they look attractive on first glance but not on closer inspection. Sarah always looks like tired and worn out to me.

I think Anna Marie is attractive in that "strong resilient prairie woman" kind of way. And don't take that to mean I'm saying she's what my grandmother calls a "handsome woman". She reminds me of those pictures of women putting out fires at Pearl Harbor, or Rosie the Riveter. She's pretty and has very nice features, but she isn't that sort of delicate, ultra-feminine pretty like Alyssa Webster or Jessa Seewald. I think some of that Strong Resilient Prairie Woman vibe I get from her is from her clothing choices, but she does kinda remind me of what I imagined Ma in Little House on the Prairie to look like. Basically, she has what you said: a more historical beauty.

As for the other Maxwell girls, I think they're pretty, but they have nothing behind their eyes.

56 minutes ago, MissBitters said:

I'm trying to figure out why Sarah feels like using a pizza cutter to chop greens is worthy of its own post. The picture seems pretty self-explanatory. If she felt the need to explain their logic behind it, she could've included it in the captions. It's so odd.

I'd give her more credit for blogging about the reason to use a plastic lettuce knife (instead of a pizza cutter). With bonus points if she would edit out the part about leaving the salad to fester in the fridge for a whole day before eating it. :my_sick:

3 hours ago, molecule said:

I love seven-layer salad and made one to take to a family event recently. I don't like making the salad because I don't like chopping vegetables or frying bacon, but it doesn't take me any longer than it does to make any other salad. It would never occur to me to make a blog post out of how much work it is, though. 

I would think that frying the bacon would be the most time consuming.  My best tip is to lay all that bacon out on a cookie sheet and cook it in the oven.  It changed my life! :bacon:  I've passed over recipes because I didn't feel like frying a whole pound of bacon.  If it's in the oven, you can chop all of those vegetables while it cooks!

56 minutes ago, Fun-Dee said:

I would think that frying the bacon would be the most time consuming.  My best tip is to lay all that bacon out on a cookie sheet and cook it in the oven.  It changed my life! :bacon:  I've passed over recipes because I didn't feel like frying a whole pound of bacon.  If it's in the oven, you can chop all of those vegetables while it cooks!

Yes, we do this too. Mmm. Bacon. 

Archived